PDA

View Full Version : [Howto] MPlayer with CoreAVC

Pages : [1] 2

Bachstelze
January 8th, 2009, 05:45 AM
===========================
Howto: MPlayer with CoreAVC
===========================
This guide will work on Ubuntu 8.10 "Intrepid Ibex", 9.04 "Jaunty Jackalope" and 9.10 "Karmic Koala", both 32 and 64bit.
Although it has not been tested on previous Ubuntu releases, there is a good chance it will work with them too.
It should also work with very minimal changes in any other modern GNU/Linux distribution.

The version of CoreAVC that has been tested is 1.9.5.

When you ask for help about your video not playing, plase include the FULL output from MPlayer in your post!

What this guide is

This guide will explain in detail the steps needed to install and configure a build of the MPlayer (http://www.mplayerhq.hu/) video player that will be suitable for use with the CoreAVC (http://www.coreavc.com/) H.264 decoder, using code from the coreavc-for-linux (http://code.google.com/p/coreavc-for-linux/) project. The text of this document is licensed under the Simplified BSD License as used by the FreeBSD (http://www.freebsd.org/copyright/freebsd-license.html) project (the license statement for this document can be found at the bottom thereof).

What this guide is not

This guide is not a comprehensive MPlayer build guide (another guide (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1024592) on this subject exists on these forums). It strives to be quick, simple, no-nonsense and to-the-point, and therefore will describe only the steps required to get what its title says: a build of MPlayer with CoreAVC support.

Of course, if you need to compile MPlayer with specific options, or if you desire to stick with The Ubuntu Way™ and create a .deb package for your build, you are perfectly free to do so, but it is not the point of this guide to tell you how do to that and I refer you to the aforementioned one, which can very well be used in conjunction with this one.

What is CoreAVC and why would I want to use it?

CoreAVC is a proprietary MPEG-4 AVC (Advanced Video Coding, aka H.264) decoder. H.264 uses extremely advanced compression algorithms to achieve much better video compression than its predecessors, but with the drawback that much more processing power is needed in order to properly decode the resulting video streams.

The MPlayer video player ships with the Free libavcodec library, which provides it with H.264 decoding capabilities. However, many people experience video stuttering, frame-dropping, or even impossibility to playback H.264 streams at all with it, especially with high-definition material on older hardware. CoreAVC offers much better decoding performance than libavcodec, and therefore might be a solution for those people.

You will of course need a valid CoreAVC license key in order to be able to use it with MPlayer (there is a trial version of CoreAVC, but I could not test it myself, feel free to do it and report your results!), and I shall remind you that as per the forums rules, anyone's asking or offering CoreAVC itself and/or a CoreAVC license key will result in action being taken by the forum staff.

Get the sources

First, let's create a directory to work in, install the necessary build tools, and download the MPlayer sources as well as the coreavc-for-linux code. Karmic users will also need to install gcc 4.3, as the default gcc in Karmic (4.4) causes problems with MPlayer:

mkdir ~/mplayer-with-coreavc
cd ~/mplayer-with-coreavc
sudo apt-get install build-essential subversion pkg-config xorg-dev
sudo apt-get install gcc-4.3 # Karmic users
svn checkout svn://svn.mplayerhq.hu/mplayer/trunk mplayer
svn checkout http://coreavc-for-linux.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ coreavc-for-linux

The next step is to install DShowServer, which is the program that will allow MPlayer to make use of CoreAVC. It is different depending on your architecture (i.e. whether you use the 32bit or 64bit version of Ubuntu).

Patch, build and install DShowServer (i386/32bit users)

First, we need to patch the sources to make them compatible with recent versions of MPlayer:

cd coreavc-for-linux
wget -qO - "http://pastebin.com/pastebin.php?dl=f7ca459d" | patch -p0

Then we build the dshowserver and registercodec binaries and copy them into /usr/local/bin.

cd dshowserver
make
sudo cp dshowserver registercodec /usr/local/bin

Build DShowServer statically on a 32bit system (amd64/64bit users)

DShowServer will not compile on a 64bit system (you can try!). That means you will have to compile it statically on a 32bit system, and copy the resulting binaries onto your 64bit system. To do this, download the coreavc-for-linux sources on your 32bit system as described above (you don't need the MPlayer sources), and compile the DShowServer binaries with the STATIC flag:

make STATIC=1

Alternatively, I have a tarball (http://itsuki.fkraiem.org/stuff/dshowserver-ia32-r82-1.tar.bz2) containing those binaries (compiled on Karmic with coreavc-for-linux r82 and the above patch) that you can use.

Install and register CoreAVC

Copy the CoreAVCDecoder.ax file (located in the CoreAVC directory under Windows's "Program Files") in /usr/local/lib/win32/ (create that directory if it does not exist). You can either copy this file from your existing Windows installation of CoreAVC or, if you don't have one, run the Windows installer in WINE and copy it from your WINE virtual drive.

The next step is to enter your CoreAVC license key in the registry (don't forget to replace the bogus one in the command with your real one!):

test -d ~/.mplayer || mkdir ~/.mplayer
registercodec -r ~/.mplayer/registry32 -k "HKLM\\Software\\CoreCodec\\CoreAVC Pro\\Serial" -v "55555-55555-CORE-55555-5555"

Then, to check that it's working:

dshowserver will currently crash during this step. This is caused by a patch that fixes a playback problem, you can probably just ignore this step for now.

dshowserver -c CoreAVCDecoder.ax -s 1280x720 -g 09571a4b-f1fe-4c60-9760de6d310c7c31 -b 12 -f 0x34363248 -o 0x30323449

If all went well, that command should return:

3248 -o 0x30323449
No id specified, assuming test mode
Opening device
len: 992
ProductVersion: 1.8.5
Decoder supports the following YUV formats: YUY2 UYVY YV12 I420
Decoder is capable of YUV output (flags 0x2b)
Setting fmt
Starting
Initialization is complete

Note for CoreAVC 1.9 users: CoreAVC 1.9 supports GPU decoding on nvidia graphics card using nvidia's CUVID interface. Therefore, you will see the following warning message when running the above command:

Win32 LoadLibrary failed to load: nvcuvid.dll, /usr/lib/win32/nvcuvid.dll, /usr/local/lib/win32/nvcuvid.dll

You can safely disregard it. The absence of the nvcuvid.dll library will not affect the normal operation of CoreAVC.

Patch, build and install MPlayer

Now let's move to the MPlayer source directory and configure it:

cd ~/mplayer-with-coreavc/mplayer
./configure

Karmic users will need to configure MPlayer to use gcc 4.3 for compilation:

CC=gcc-4.3 ./configure

There are of course a lot of options to choose from here, but once again, it's outside the scope of this guide. If the configuration has completed successfully and the options look good to you, you can apply the coreavc-for-linux patch:

wget "http://pastebin.com/pastebin.php?dl=f1c7c15f7" -qO - | patch -p0

As of MPlayer r29367, the output looks like this:

(Stripping trailing CRs from patch.)
patching file libmpcodecs/vd.c
Hunk #1 succeeded at 25 (offset -4 lines).
Hunk #2 succeeded at 57 (offset -5 lines).
patching file Makefile
Hunk #2 succeeded at 519 (offset 295 lines).
patching file libmpcodecs/vd_dshowserver.c

Then we build and install MPlayer:

make
sudo make install

If the build fails, it is most likely because a change in the MPlayer source code broke compatibility with coreavc-for-linux or caused some other bug. Please report in the thread and I'll update the patch accordingly.

The last step is to copy the codecs.conf file from the MPlayer source directory in your ~/.mplayer directory if you don't have one already:

test -f ~/.mplayer/codecs.conf || cp etc/codecs.conf ~/.mplayer

Finally, open your codecs.conf file in your favourite text editor, and add this text at the bottom of it:

videocodec coreserve
info "CoreAVC DShow H264 decoder 1.3 for x86 - http://corecodec.org/"
status working
format 0x10000005
fourcc H264,h264 H264
fourcc X264,x264
fourcc avc1,AVC1 AVC1
fourcc davc,DAVC
fourcc VSSH
driver dshowserver
dll "CoreAVCDecoder.ax"
guid 0x09571a4b, 0xf1fe, 0x4c60, 0x97, 0x60, 0xde, 0x6d, 0x31, 0x0c, 0x7c, 0x31
out YV12,IYUV,I420,YUY2

Enjoy!

To check that CoreAVC is actually working, start MPlayer like this from your terminal:

mplayer -vc coreserve foo.mkv

The -vc coreserve argument will force MPlayer to use CoreAVC (of course, make sure you're trying to play a file containing a H.264 video stream, otherwise CoreAVC won't be able to decode it, and you will not see any video).

Of course, it would be a pain to add -vc coreserve to your command line every time you want to play a video. The best way to avoid that is to open your main MPlayer config file (located at ~/.mplayer/config) in your favourite text editor and add this line to it:

vc=coreserve,

Do not forget the trailing comma, it is very important. Now, every time you will try to play a video, MPlayer will first try to decode it with CoreAVC and, if that fails, fall back to the normal codecs.

FAQs

I have the Ubuntu package for MPlayer installed. What do I do?

Since you are building a new version of MPlayer, you probably won't need the old one anyway, and it's recommended to uninstall it in order to avoid conflicts.

That being said, it is not an absolute requirement, and you can also use the build you've done with this guide alongside your "official" version. Simply omit the sudo make install step and run the mplayer binary directly from your build directory (you can also move and/or rename it to your convenience).

What if I want to uninstall my build?

Simply return to your source directory and do:

sudo make uninstall

If you have deleted your source directory, here is a list of the files most commonly installed, you can safely remove them.

/usr/local/etc/mplayer
/usr/local/bin/mencoder
/usr/local/bin/mplayer
/usr/local/bin/gmplayer
/usr/local/share/mplayer/skins
/usr/local/share/pixmaps/mplayer.xpm
/usr/local/share/applications/mplayer.desktop
/usr/local/share/man/man1/mplayer.1
/usr/local/share/man/man1/mencoder.1

How do I upgrade to a newer version of CoreAVC?

Simply copy the new version of the CoreAVCDecoder.ax file over your old one in /usr/local/lib/win32.

Legal stuff

Copyright 2009 Firas Kraïem. All rights reserved.

Redistribution and use in source and compiled forms, with or
without modification, are permitted provided that the following
conditions are met:

Redistributions in source form must retain the above copyright
notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.

Redistributions in compiled form must reproduce the above
copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following
disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided
with the distribution.

THIS DOCUMENT IS PROVIDED BY THE AUTHOR ``AS IS'' AND ANY
EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO,
THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A
PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHOR
OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL,
SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT
LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF
USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED
AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT
LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING
IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS DOCUMENT, EVEN IF ADVISED OF
THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

jpeddicord
January 8th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Legal stuff

Copyright 2009 Firas Kraïem. All rights reserved.

Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or
without modification, are permitted provided that the following
conditions are met:

Redistributions in source form must retain the above copyright
notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.

Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above
copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following
disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided
with the distribution.

THIS DOCUMENT IS PROVIDED BY THE AUTHOR ``AS IS'' AND ANY
EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO,
THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A
PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHOR
OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL,
SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT
LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF
USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED
AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT
LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING
IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS DOCUMENT, EVEN IF ADVISED OF
THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

Wouldn't a non-source based license make more sense, such as one of the Creative Commons licenses or the GFDL? Unless you can compile this tutorial into a binary (which would be awesome)

Bachstelze
January 8th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Wouldn't a non-source based license make more sense, such as one of the Creative Commons licenses or the GFDL? Unless you can compile this tutorial into a binary (which would be awesome)

In the case of text material like this, the "source" form means a text version you can for example copy-and-paste around, and the "binary" form is everything else (for example a PDF, an ODT/DOC/RTF document, or a printed copy). I'm pretty sure the GFDL uses the same terminology.

Bachstelze
January 9th, 2009, 09:18 AM
Bump :D

BrownD
January 16th, 2009, 10:59 AM
First of all, great guide - it is very easy to follow and understand :)

However, having a couple problems I am hoping someone here can help me with. It all goes perfectly, registering CoreAVC etc worked up to when i try to install mplayer. The patch works fine, but 'make' brought up tons of errors.

So instead, I tried using your 'source snapshot', did ./configure again, patched and 'make' - there were a lot less errors this time but for some reason I cant figure out what the problem is ;( Heres the last few lines from make:

http://paste.ubuntu.com/105483/plain/

There are other 'warnings' etc that are throughout the make process as well. Im pretty unexperienced with ubuntu and linux in general so its probably a stupid mistake on my part - but I can tell you I still get the same errors even when I dont patch mplayer, so its probably unrelated to CoreAVC.

Anyway, appreciate any advise/help, thanks ;)

Edit: Here is the full 'make' paste, if its needed at all: http://paste.ubuntu.com/105496/

Bachstelze
January 16th, 2009, 05:14 PM
BrownD's problem was caused by a bug in the mplayer source, which was fixed in the latest revision (r28344). I uploaded a new source snapshot made with that revision and updated the link.

ripps818
January 18th, 2009, 09:33 AM
For ease of use, you can install a dshowserver patched mplayer from RVM's PPA at http://launchpad.net/~rvm/+archive.

You can install dshowserver and registercodec by installing the dshowserver package from my PPA at http://launchpad.net/~ripps818/+archive.

(Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to build a 64 bit package in PPA, so you'll have to follow manual instructions if you have x86_64 cpu.)

Cybervirem
January 18th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Hi,

First, I would like to join the "congratulators" and thank for this guide !
However, i can't manage to compile whatever version i use : svn updated trunk ou source snapshot.

Though i successfully installed, registred coreAVC and patched, it always stops at the same module giving me :

cc -DHAVE_AV_CONFIG_H -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -I.. -I.. -Wdisabled-optimization -Wno-pointer-sign -Wdeclaration-after-statement -std=gnu99 -Wall -Wno-switch -Wpointer-arith -Wredundant-decls -O4 -march=native -mtune=native -pipe -ffast-math -fomit-frame-pointer -D_REENTRANT -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE -I. -I/usr/include/directfb -I/usr/include/ -I/usr/include/SDL -D_REENTRANT -I/usr/include/kde/artsc -pthread -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -D_REENTRANT -Ilibdvdread4 -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include -I/usr/include/dirac -I/usr/include/schroedinger-1.0 -I/usr/include/liboil-0.3 -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/pixman-1 -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/libpng12 -Ilibdvdnav -c -o libx264.o libx264.c

libx264.c: In function 'X264_init':
libx264.c:167: error: 'x264_param_t' has no member named 'i_bframe_adaptive'

make: *** [libavcodec/libavcodec.a] Erreur 2

Does anybody understand why ? (I think i have all needed dev lib installed)

Thank you for hints

Cybervirem
January 19th, 2009, 03:18 AM
i followed this thread to replace x264 libs :

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=558538

pointing to this one :

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1024592

i could get it work fine, though i got troubles with :

o XShape extension which vanished during manipulations - i didn't have this error when i started to compile... so i couldn't enable gui :( but i works fine from man pages to keyboard :-)
(not yet solved, ideas to obtain true gui are welcome :-) )

o libavcodec/nellymoserenc.c in which i added a define (http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-users/2008-December/075391.html)

Anyway, very interesting topic driving throu tons of video mplaying informations ;-)

1080p coreAVC videos are read without frame dropping, and with sync sound !

i will check for such topic in french forums, and add if not.

Thank you

Bachstelze
January 19th, 2009, 03:31 AM
The build-issue with x364 is indeed a common one, which I forgot when writing this guide, I whall update it soon (it would seem the version of the x264 library in the Ubuntu repositories is not compatible with MPlayer's latest versions, and an up-to-date one must be used instead).

About your GUI problems, you mean you can't start MPlayer with the GMPlayer GTK+ GUI? What happens if you try to run gmplayer from a terminal?

Cybervirem
January 19th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Hi,

yes it sounds like a compat pb.

With x264 from svn, it's ok (adding a line of code in libavcodec/nellymoserenc.c).

About graphic, i don't know what went wrong. try after try i could configure with --enable-gui, and could compile ;

the only way the alter XShape cap is from xorg.conf, and obviously i tried with native xorg nvidia driver and with the proprietary one... Just using the admin menu... a non deterministic automated process ;-)
Without --enable-gui, everything is ok.

tech0007
January 19th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Hi! thanks for this wonderful guide. I was able to follow it, compile mplayer and edit codecs.conf. But whenever I run it, it shows:

Forced video codec: coreserve
Cannot find codec matching selected -vo and video format 0x33564D57.
Read DOCS/HTML/en/codecs.html!

So I get no video. Any help is appreciated.

Got this resolved!

Cybervirem
January 19th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Hi,

if i try with a movie which doesn't use CoreAVC, i obtain "no video", all ok with coreavc encoded movies. (ffmpeg -i foo.mkv --> video : h264)
-
it depends only on what encoding you want to read ; with -vc coreserve : only coreavc, without -vc coreserve, it reads all other kind.

Bachstelze
January 19th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Hmm, I should have made that clearer.

With -vc coreserve, (notice the trailing comma!), it will work for everything (it will first try to use CoreAVC, and if that fails, fall back to the normal codecs).

That means you can add

vc=coreserve,

to your mplayer.conf, and it will always use CoreAVC if possible, and fall back to the default codecs if not.

Cybervirem
January 19th, 2009, 10:53 PM
thank you !
I will now try to configure with --enable-gui :-)

Bachstelze
January 20th, 2009, 12:54 AM
thank you !
I will now try to configure with --enable-gui :-)

You can also try to use smplayer instead of the GUI that ships with MPlayer. I've been told it's much more advanced and has more features, but couldn't get the time to try it yet.

MathSWE
January 22nd, 2009, 10:34 PM
Hi!

Id really like to get this to work! :)

However, my problem is that my trial serial code doesnt seem to regiser correctly, or it cant be found. I have a 64 bit CPU if that matters.

The registration process goes fine, but when it enter the command to test the registration I get:

Opening device
Called unk_IsDebuggerPresent
MSGBOX 'Serial Number Missing!' 'CoreAVC Trial Edition' (327680)
Win32 LoadLibrary failed to load: CoreAVCDecoder.ax
Warning: DS_Filter() could not open DirectShow DLL. (DLL=CoreAVCDecoder.ax)
Failed to create DirectShow filter
Failed to open win32 codec CoreAVCDecoder.ax

How do I fix this?

Thanks in advance! //Mathias

Bachstelze
January 23rd, 2009, 04:34 AM
The serial number for the Trial version is stored in a different place in registry than for the full version, so the command to register your serial number is different. Try this:

rm -rf ~/.mplayer/registry32
registercodec -r ~/.mplayer/registry32 -k "HKLM\\Software\\CoreCodec\\CoreAVC Trial\\Serial" -v "55555-55555-CORE-55555-5555"

stepdown
January 24th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Well, I've got it working by following your instructions, so that's very good!

Still unable to get 1080p files to play smoothly though, looks like it's a HW issue, but thanks for a great tutorial! :)

Bachstelze
February 19th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Updated for CoreAVC 1.9 (yes, it works). I'll have to look into the GPU decoding (I don't have a compatible card at the moment), but it seems unlikely that it will work.

blablu
February 24th, 2009, 04:40 PM
HymnToLife thanks for this great guide.

I'm having this problem:

Hi! thanks for this wonderful guide. I was able to follow it, compile mplayer and edit codecs.conf. But whenever I run it, it shows:

Cannot find codec matching selected -vo and video format 0x33564D57.

So I get no video. Any help is appreciated.

Got this resolved!

But unfortunately I couldn't get this resolved! :lolflag:
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Bachstelze
February 24th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Most likely you are trying to play a video that is not an AVC stream. CoreAVC can only decode AVC streams, and won't work on other formats.

blablu
February 24th, 2009, 05:06 PM
I thought that all h264 encoded videos were AVC streams.:(

ripps818
February 24th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Did you add the codec coreserve to your ~/.mplayer/codecs.conf? coreserve won't work just by installing the codec, dshowserver, and mplayer.

http://code.google.com/p/coreavc-for-linux/wiki/MplayerInstallation

Also, remember to put "-vc coreserve,", notice the comma at the end, that tells mplayer to fallback to other codecs if coreserve doesn't work.

Bachstelze
February 24th, 2009, 05:22 PM
I thought that all h264 encoded videos were AVC streams.:(

They are. H.264 (not "h264", by the way) is just another name for MPEG-4 AVC. Are you sure the video you are trying to play is H.264? The error you're getting is the one I get when I try to play a non-H.264 stream with CoreAVC.

blablu
February 24th, 2009, 06:26 PM
solved!

My problem was that I was using /usr/bin/mplayer instead of /usr/local/bin/mplayer.

Thanks for your help guys!

binbash
February 24th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Very good step by step guide.I will test this on my other notebook which has some problems with x264

blablu
February 24th, 2009, 10:45 PM
Anybody got it to work with smplayer?

for some reason it doesn't like me puttin rc=coreserve inside .mplayer/config. Though mplayer alone is fine.

thanks again for your time!

binbash
February 24th, 2009, 10:58 PM
I am getting this error:

dshowserver -c CoreAVCDecoder.ax -s 1280x800 -g 09571a4b-f1fe-4c60-9760de6d310c7c31 -b 12 -f 0x34363248 -o 0x30323449
Opening device
Win32 LoadLibrary failed to load: CoreAVCDecoder.ax, /usr/lib/win32/CoreAVCDecoder.ax, /usr/local/lib/win32/CoreAVCDecoder.ax

binbash
February 24th, 2009, 11:06 PM
got it working, forgot to copy the file.Thanks again :)

binbash
February 25th, 2009, 08:18 AM
OK i got everything installed this time (on another PC) , when i open a mkv file, it says NO VIDEO

Cybervirem
February 27th, 2009, 11:31 PM
Hi,

the comma at after "-vc coreserve,"

Bachstelze
February 28th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Anybody got it to work with smplayer?

for some reason it doesn't like me puttin rc=coreserve inside .mplayer/config. Though mplayer alone is fine.

thanks again for your time!

It works fine with smplayer here. What you need to add to your config file is:

vc=coreserve,

SpoZen
February 28th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Thanks for the how to, but please add that you have to install yasm 0.7.2 and x264 from this guide: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=558538

Now to my problem:

I can't get mplayer to use coreavc after adding this line:

vc=coreserve,

To ~/.mplayer/codecs.conf

It only works if i use this command mplayer -vc coreserve.

Also is their a how to somewhere about 5.1 sound in mplayer?

andrew.46
February 28th, 2009, 10:54 PM
Hi SpoZen,

Thanks for the how to, but please add that you have to install yasm 0.7.2 and x264 from this guide: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=558538

h264 decoding comes with FFmpeg's libavcodec, as I believe HymnToLife mentions in this guide, but if you definitely want encoding there is a better method for installing x264 in this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1081070).

Playback can be seen:

andrew@skamandros~$ mplayer -vc help | grep -i 264
ffh264 ffmpeg working FFmpeg H.264 [h264]
ffh264vdpau ffmpeg working FFmpeg H.264 (VDPAU) [h264_vdpau]
vssh264 dshow working VSS H.264 New [vsshdsd.dll]
vssh264old vfw working VSS H.264 Old [vssh264.dll]

while encoding capability can be seen:

andrew@skamandros~$ mencoder -ovc help | grep -i 264
x264 - H.264 encoding

Andrew

SpoZen
March 1st, 2009, 12:24 AM
I'm not really sure what you getting at. How does this help me? The outputs doesn't tell me anything useful?

spozen@Luke:~$ mplayer -vc help | grep -i 264
parse error at line 4075
ffh264 ffmpeg working FFmpeg H.264 [h264]
ffh264vdpau ffmpeg working FFmpeg H.264 (VDPAU) [h264_vdpau]

vssh264 dshow working VSS H.264 New [vsshdsd.dll]
vssh264old vfw working VSS H.264 Old [vssh264.dll]

The guide told me to disable mencoder so i can't give you any output from that.

I mentioned x264 because when i tried to compile without it, it just throw out a bunch of errors at me.

andrew.46
March 1st, 2009, 02:46 AM
Hi SpoZen,

I mentioned x264 because when i tried to compile without it, it just throw out a bunch of errors at me.

My apologies I did not fully understand your question and I will admit my motivation in busting in on this thread was simply to guide you to a better installation method for x264 :-). And to mention in passing the different approaches in MPlayer to decoding and encoding h264 / x264.

Perhaps if you post the actual errors HymnToLife can guide you better? (x264 errors usually relate to an x264 build less than 59 = old Ubuntu problem.)

All the best,

Andrew

SpoZen
March 1st, 2009, 04:12 PM
Well, there are not really any errors, i just can't get it to use CoreAVC by default. To use CoreAVC i now have to type this everytime:

mplayer -vc coreserve clip.mkv

In the guide it's stated you have to add this line to ~/.mplayer/codecs.conf:

vc=coreserve,

But this doesn't work at all, mplayer doesn't use coreAVC.
And i can't use the mplayer -vc command anymoore i only get sound.

Bachstelze
March 2nd, 2009, 05:13 PM
In the guide it's stated you have to add this line to ~/.mplayer/codecs.conf

Nope, you must add it to ~/.mplayer/config.

I must admit, though, that my guide doesn't make this very clear. I'm going to add a more thorough section about the different methods that can be used to actually enable CoreAVC.

SpoZen
March 2nd, 2009, 11:08 PM
This is my ~/.mplayer/config:

# Write your default config options here!
vc=coreserve,

I still can't get it to use CoreAVC, i am totally out of luck.

Bachstelze
March 2nd, 2009, 11:56 PM
Please paste what you get in your terminal.

SpoZen
March 3rd, 2009, 05:06 PM
spozen@Luke:~$ gmplayer
MPlayer SVN-r28764-4.3.2 (C) 2000-2009 MPlayer Team
parse error at line 4075
mplayer: could not connect to socket
mplayer: No such file or directory
Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote control.

(<unknown>:5869): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "ubuntulooks",

Playing /media/Filmer1/Filmer/21.2008.1080p.BD9.x264-REFiNED/refined-21-1080p.mkv.
[mkv] Track ID 1: video (V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC), -vid 0
[mkv] Track ID 2: audio (A_AC3), -aid 0, -alang eng
[mkv] Track ID 3: subtitles (S_TEXT/UTF8), -sid 0, -slang eng
[mkv] Will play video track 1.
Matroska file format detected.
VIDEO: [avc1] 1920x1080 24bpp 23.976 fps 0.0 kbps ( 0.0 kbyte/s)
SUB: Detected subtitle file format: subviewer
SUB: Read 1268 subtitles.
SUB: Added subtitle file (1): /media/Filmer1/Filmer/21.2008.1080p.BD9.x264-REFiNED/refined-21-1080p.srt
================================================== ========================
Opening video decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg's libavcodec codec family
Selected video codec: [ffh264] vfm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg H.264)
Opening audio decoder: [liba52] AC3 decoding with liba52
Using SSE optimized IMDCT transform
Using MMX optimized resampler
AUDIO: 48000 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 640.0 kbit/41.67% (ratio: 80000->192000)
Selected audio codec: [a52] afm: liba52 (AC3-liba52)
AO: [oss] 48000Hz 2ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)
Starting playback...
VDec: vo config request - 1920 x 1080 (preferred colorspace: Planar YV12)
VDec: using Planar YV12 as output csp (no 0)
Movie-Aspect is 1.78:1 - prescaling to correct movie aspect.
VO: [xv] 1920x1080 => 1920x1080 Planar YV12
A: 22.9 V: 22.0 A-V: 0.927 ct: -0.222 0/ 0 54% 7% 96.6% 50 0

**** Your system is too SLOW to play this! ****

Possible reasons, problems, workarounds:
- Most common: broken/buggy _audio_ driver
- Try -ao sdl or use the OSS emulation of ALSA.
- Experiment with different values for -autosync, 30 is a good start.
- Slow video output
- Try a different -vo driver (-vo help for a list) or try -framedrop!
- Slow CPU
- Don't try to play a big DVD/DivX on a slow CPU! Try some of the lavdopts,
e.g. -vfm ffmpeg -lavdopts lowres=1:fast:skiploopfilter=all.
- Broken file
- Try various combinations of -nobps -ni -forceidx -mc 0.
- Slow media (NFS/SMB mounts, DVD, VCD etc)
- Try -cache 8192.
- Are you using -cache to play a non-interleaved AVI file?
- Try -nocache.
Read DOCS/HTML/en/video.html for tuning/speedup tips.
If none of this helps you, read DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports.html.

A: 52.9 V: 52.1 A-V: 0.760 ct: -0.233 0/ 0 73% 8% 18.7% 674 0

MPlayer interrupted by signal 2 in module: decode video
A: 54.1 V: 52.2 A-V: 1.877 ct: -0.234 0/ 0 77% 8% 18.7% 675 0
Exiting... (Quit)

SpoZen
March 3rd, 2009, 05:08 PM
spozen@Luke:~$ gmplayer
MPlayer SVN-r28764-4.3.2 (C) 2000-2009 MPlayer Team
parse error at line 4075

(<unknown>:5869): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "ubuntulooks",

Playing /media/Filmer1/Filmer/21.2008.1080p.BD9.x264-REFiNED/refined-21-1080p.mkv.
[mkv] Track ID 3: subtitles (S_TEXT/UTF8), -sid 0, -slang eng
VIDEO: [avc1] 1920x1080 24bpp 23.976 fps 0.0 kbps ( 0.0 kbyte/s)
SUB: Detected subtitle file format: subviewer
SUB: Read 1268 subtitles.
SUB: Added subtitle file (1): /media/Filmer1/Filmer/21.2008.1080p.BD9.x264-REFiNED/refined-21-1080p.srt
Opening video decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg's libavcodec codec family
Selected video codec: [ffh264] vfm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg H.264)
AUDIO: 48000 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 640.0 kbit/41.67% (ratio: 80000->192000)
Starting playback...
VDec: vo config request - 1920 x 1080 (preferred colorspace: Planar YV12)
VO: [xv] 1920x1080 => 1920x1080 Planar YV12
A: 22.9 V: 22.0 A-V: 0.927 ct: -0.222 0/ 0 54% 7% 96.6% 50 0

- Slow video output
- Slow CPU
- Broken file
- Try -cache 8192.
- Try -nocache.

A: 52.9 V: 52.1 A-V: 0.760 ct: -0.233 0/ 0 73% 8% 18.7% 674 0

A: 54.1 V: 52.2 A-V: 1.877 ct: -0.234 0/ 0 77% 8% 18.7% 675 0
Exiting... (Quit)

It seems like it detects CoreAVC, but it uses the ffmpeg decoder instead.

Bachstelze
March 3rd, 2009, 05:08 PM
Could you please do the same thing with

vc=coreserve

in your config file (without the trailing comma), to forbid the use of any other video codec?

SpoZen
March 3rd, 2009, 05:36 PM
Ok it's working now i found out that i didn't remove vc=coreserve, from ~/.mplayer/codecs.conf

Sorry for double post and wasting your time, i hope you forgive me for my stupidity ;)

Now i just have to fix some tearing problems and sound issues but i will google that up my self, thanks for the help!

dhanar_10
March 7th, 2009, 12:02 AM
Hi everyone,

My mplayer-coreavc is unable to play MP4 files downloaded from YouTube.

Is there anyone having the same problem or is it just me? Is there any possible fix?

Thank you.

bcg30506
April 10th, 2009, 03:16 PM
I've followed your very useful guide to the letter and used the mplayer-checkout version from the link in your guide with the trail version of CoreAVC. DirectShow runs fine and mplayer patched and installed fine. The codec is setup and the config is good. I'm trying to play an MTS file from our Canon HF10 camera which records in 1920x1080x30p AVCHD format. If I try and run mplayer with no options I get:

$ mplayer /monolith/tmp/Canon/stream/00000.mts
MPlayer SVN-r28661-4.2.4 (C) 2000-2009 MPlayer Team
137 audio & 297 video codecs

Playing /monolith/tmp/Canon/stream/00000.mts.
TS file format detected.
VIDEO H264(pid=4113) AUDIO A52(pid=4352) NO SUBS (yet)! PROGRAM N. 1
FPS not specified in the header or invalid, use the -fps option.
AUDIO: 48000 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 256.0 kbit/16.67% (ratio: 32000->192000)
Video: no video
Starting playback...
A: 9.0 (08.9) of 2472.1 (41:12.1) 1.1%
Exiting... (Quit)

If I then add the -fps 60 option, it then correctly detects the video stream and tries to initialize the dshowserver codec, only to crash with this:

$ mplayer -fps 60 /monolith/tmp/Canon/stream/00000.mts

TS file format detected.
Opening video decoder: [dshowserver] DirectShowServer video codecs

MPlayer interrupted by signal 11 in module: init_video_codec
- MPlayer crashed by bad usage of CPU/FPU/RAM.
Recompile MPlayer with --enable-debug and make a 'gdb' backtrace and
disassembly. Details in DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports_what.html#bugreports_crash.
- MPlayer crashed. This shouldn't happen.
It can be a bug in the MPlayer code _or_ in your drivers _or_ in your
gcc version. If you think it's MPlayer's fault, please read
DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports.html and follow the instructions there. We can't and
won't help unless you provide this information when reporting a possible bug.

ubulaptop
April 10th, 2009, 03:38 PM
this may sound a bit stupid, but I can not find out where the terminal is located! Can someone explain me how it is?:lolflag:

c-m
April 10th, 2009, 07:02 PM
I get the following error:

carl@carl-laptop:~/mplayer-with-coreavc/coreavc-for-linux/dshowserver$ dshowserver -c CoreAVCDecoder.ax -s 1280x720 -g 09571a4b-f1fe-4c60-9760de6d310c7c31 -b 12 -f 0x34363248 -o 0x30323449
Opening device
Win32 LoadLibrary failed to load: CoreAVCDecoder.ax, /usr/lib/win32/CoreAVCDecoder.ax, /usr/local/lib/win32/CoreAVCDecoder.ax

bcg30506
April 10th, 2009, 07:07 PM
SOLVED. I had to add the demuxer=lavf option to mplayer when playing the mts files from the Canon camera. Now they play but are no faster than with ffmpeg's decoder. I still get "System too slow to play this" message. Visually I can tell no difference using CoreAVC over the base mplayer from svn.

Here is my processor info:

processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 15
model : 4
model name : Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.53GHz
stepping : 1
cpu MHz : 2533.622
cache size : 256 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 5
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx lm constant_tsc pebs bts pni monitor ds_cpl tm2 cid cx16 xtpr
bogomips : 5073.31
clflush size : 64

And mtrr info:
reg00: base=0x00000000 ( 0MB), size= 512MB: write-back, count=1
reg01: base=0x1c000000 ( 448MB), size= 64MB: write-combining, count=1
reg02: base=0x1bf00000 ( 447MB), size= 1MB: uncachable, count=1

Any chance of my machine playing HD video files or am I SOL without upgrading hardware?

I've followed your very useful guide to the letter and used the mplayer-checkout version from the link in your guide with the trail version of CoreAVC. DirectShow runs fine and mplayer patched and installed fine. The codec is setup and the config is good. I'm trying to play an MTS file from our Canon HF10 camera which records in 1920x1080x30p AVCHD format. If I try and run mplayer with no options I get:

$ mplayer /monolith/tmp/Canon/stream/00000.mts

TS file format detected.
FPS not specified in the header or invalid, use the -fps option.
AUDIO: 48000 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 256.0 kbit/16.67% (ratio: 32000->192000)
Starting playback...
A: 9.0 (08.9) of 2472.1 (41:12.1) 1.1%
Exiting... (Quit)

If I then add the -fps 60 option, it then correctly detects the video stream and tries to initialize the dshowserver codec, only to crash with this:

$ mplayer -fps 60 /monolith/tmp/Canon/stream/00000.mts

TS file format detected.

MPlayer interrupted by signal 11 in module: init_video_codec

acr0nym
April 18th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Hi I followed your instructions to the letter and everything went fine from installing to downloading etc..

But when I try to open my .mkv file (X264) with mplayer -vc coreserv blabla.mkv
Mplayer tells me that it cannot find the video codec.
Now I am pretty sure I followed your instructions correctly, I even double checked them. Here's what mplayer shows me:

MPlayer SVN-r29188-4.3.3 (C) 2000-2009 MPlayer Team

Playing blabla.mkv.
[mkv] Track ID 2: audio (A_AC3), -aid 0, -alang und
VIDEO: [avc1] 1280x720 24bpp 23.976 fps 0.0 kbps ( 0.0 kbyte/s)
Can't open /dev/fb0: No such file or directory
[fbdev2] Can't open /dev/fb0: No such file or directory
VO: [v4l2] No such file or directory
vo_cvidix: No vidix driver name provided, probing available ones (-v option for details)!
[cyberblade] Error occurred during pci scan: Operation not permitted
[mach64] Error occurred during pci scan: Operation not permitted
[mga] Error occurred during pci scan: Operation not permitted
[mga] Error occurred during pci scan: Operation not permitted
[nvidia_vid] Error occurred during pci scan: Operation not permitted
[pm3] Error occurred during pci scan: Operation not permitted
[radeon] Error occurred during pci scan: Operation not permitted
[rage128] Error occurred during pci scan: Operation not permitted
[s3_vid] Error occurred during pci scan: Operation not permitted
[SiS] Error occurred during pci scan: Operation not permitted
[unichrome] Error occurred during pci scan: Operation not permitted
[VO_SUB_VIDIX] Couldn't find working VIDIX driver.
Forced video codec: coreserv
Cannot find codec matching selected -vo and video format 0x31637661.
AUDIO: 48000 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 384.0 kbit/25.00% (ratio: 48000->192000)
Starting playback...
A: 2.9 (02.8) of 57.4 (57.4) 1.0%

MPlayer interrupted by signal 2 in module: play_audio
A: 2.9 (02.9) of 57.4 (57.4) 1.0%
Exiting... (Quit)

It only plays sound, whereas before it used to play the video choppy but now there isn't any video at all. I don't think this is a specific problem with .mkv files since I cannot open normal low quality avi video files either which I used to be able to do before with the standard mplayer.

I think the problem has to do with the step:

ls ~/.mplayer/codecs.conf || cp etc/codecs.conf ~/.mplayer

When I did that, terminal told me

ls: cannot access /home/acr0nym/.mplayer/codecs.conf: No such file or directory

The 2nd time I used that command I added sudo in front of it and I didn't get any error.

Great Tut and thanks in advance for any help :)

Bachstelze
April 18th, 2009, 11:33 PM
I think the problem has to do with the step:

ls ~/.mplayer/codecs.conf || cp etc/codecs.conf ~/.mplayer

When I did that, terminal told me

ls: cannot access /home/acr0nym/.mplayer/codecs.conf: No such file or directory

The 2nd time I used that command I added sudo in front of it and I didn't get any error.

Actually the error message you get the first time is normal, that was a bit silly of me to put this in the howto, I guess I'll remove it.

Since you ran the command the second time with sudo, maybe your codecs.conf file is now owned by root. What does this command output?

ls -l ~/.mplayer/codecs.conf

acr0nym
April 19th, 2009, 01:22 PM
I just edited this post... I managed to get it working by using the snapshot you mentioned in your post. That one works great :)

Now I still do have one question, when I open a video file for example with: "mplayer blabla.extension" it plays fine I can see the audio and video getting deteced no errors whatsoever, but it doesn't open the video panel, I can hear the audio though.

Another thing...I don't want to keep using the command line. So I wanted to install SMplayer but everytime I want to install that one it tells me that it has to install mplayer as well... I'm afraid it will override my custom compiled mplayer with the coreavc codec.. So how do I install SMplayer without mplayer

Thanks again :)

rvm4000
April 19th, 2009, 09:37 PM
So how do I install SMplayer without mplayer

Get the smplayer sources and compile it.

EnSeNiX
April 22nd, 2009, 07:18 AM
Hi.i've install everything correctly but when i type
mplayer -vc coreserve movie.mkv

there's no video only sounds can anyone help?

thanks

gandalf_17
April 28th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Hello. I wolud like to thank the tutorial. I'm new in the Ubuntu World (I have started yesterday) and this material and this forum it's a blessing.

So, I have many troubles that I not understand, and the MPlayer doesn't work in mi computer. So I want to follow the guide since the beginning again, but this is a problem for me. How to remove and dispose all I did?

Well, I'm waiting an answer. Thank very much.

Good Bye

PD: I'm sorry for my english. I'm spanish and I can't speak it very good.

Bachstelze
April 28th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Hi.i've install everything correctly but when i type
mplayer -vc coreserve movie.mkv

there's no video only sounds can anyone help?

thanks

Please paste the output from MPlayer.

So, I have many troubles that I not understand, and the MPlayer doesn't work in mi computer. So I want to follow the guide since the beginning again, but this is a problem for me. How to remove and dispose all I did?

How far did you go? If you didn't run sudo make install, you can just delete your source directory and start again.

Bachstelze
April 28th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Other updates:

-> As of MPlayer r29241, the patch provided in coreavc-for-linux r82 doesn't work anymore due to changes in the MPlayer source. I made a quick and somewhat dirty (but working) patch update and updated the guide accordingly.

-> Jaunty was released. The compatibility-related text at the top of the guide was also updated accordingly.

Zorael
April 30th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Nevermind. I found the patch in the coreavc directory after some snooping, but I also found http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1049449 which uses the "official" svn repo, with which your patch worked (although patch muttered about line offsets).

-> As of MPlayer r29241, the patch provided in coreavc-for-linux r82 doesn't work anymore due to changes in the MPlayer source. I made a quick and somewhat dirty (but working) patch update and updated the guide accordingly.
I'm trying to combine compiling mplayer for CoreAVC with compiling mplayer for multithreaded decoding (as per http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1104967). That thread uses another repo which seems to be based on an earlier revision of mplayer master, and your patch fails when I *know* I succeeded with this earlier, on another machine.

Where can I find the old patch? Alternatively, could you, by any chance, glance briefly at that (multithreaded) mplayer source code to see if your current patch could be easily modified to work?

gandalf_17
April 30th, 2009, 07:14 PM
HymnToLife, I have followed the guide again and I have not any problem.

Thank very much, my friend.

Bye and "Saludos desde Galicia (España)"

gandalf_17
April 30th, 2009, 09:49 PM
I'm sorry but I still have a problem.

Now, I have installed the MPlayer without the GUI, and I would like to install GUI without reinstalling MPlayer. What can I do?

Thank very much,

Bye!

Bachstelze
April 30th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Now, I have installed the MPlayer without the GUI, and I would like to install GUI without reinstalling MPlayer. What can I do?

You must download the source code for SMPlayer here (http://smplayer.sourceforge.net/downloads.php?tr_lang=en) and compile it. It does not require recompiling MPlayer itself

If you want to use the GTK+ GUI that comes with MPlayer, you'll have to reconfigure your source with ./configure --enable-gui and then recompile and reinstall MPlayer.

SuperBo
May 3rd, 2009, 10:29 AM
I think we should config codecs.conf with following

videocodec coreavc
info "CoreAVC DShow H264 decoder 1.9 for x86 - http://coreavc.com/"
status working
format 0x10000005
fourcc H264,h264 ;H264
fourcc X264,x264 ;X264
fourcc avc1,AVC1 ;AVC1
fourcc davc,DAVC ;DAVC
fourcc VSSH
driver dshowserver
dll "CoreAVCDecoder.ax"
out YV12,IYUV,I420,YUY2

and put it at the top of codecs.conf will make coreserver as the default codec to decode h264,x264 and avc1.

gandalf_17
May 4th, 2009, 01:39 PM
If you want to use the GTK+ GUI that comes with MPlayer, you'll have to reconfigure your source with ./configure --enable-gui and then recompile and reinstall MPlayer.

Thanks. I have alredy done it and MPlayer works very good. But I still have a problem.

When I open a DVD with MPlayer, it appears a window with the follow mensage:

Error!
Seek Failed

I have read that I could work the DVD with other program, but I prefer doing it with MPlayer.

What can I do? Thanks and excuse the inconvenience

Bye!

charcer
May 5th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Could it be possible to add support for subtitles to the guide, for example

ln -s /usr/share/fonts/truetype/freefont/FreeSans.ttf ~/.mplayer/subfont.ttf
because matroska subs won't work otherwise

Bachstelze
May 5th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Could it be possible to add support for subtitles to the guide, for example

ln -s /usr/share/fonts/truetype/freefont/FreeSans.ttf ~/.mplayer/subfont.ttf
because matroska subs won't work otherwise

This is not a MPlayer user guide. ;)

umanzor
May 6th, 2009, 06:24 AM
Hi Hymn. I followed your instructions and everything seemed to go fine. Unfortunately, when I try to play mkvs, I'm only getting audio. I get this message as well:

Any ideas?

Bachstelze
May 6th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Did you edit codecs.conf properly? Are yu sure the video stream of your MAtroska file is H.264?

umanzor
May 7th, 2009, 05:20 AM
Did you edit codecs.conf properly? Are yu sure the video stream of your MAtroska file is H.264?

Hi there,

Well, given that they are 720p videos and that I can play them in Windows using MPC and I see that CoreAVC is selected under video filters (or something like that) I think I can safely assume it is H.264. Correct if I'm wrong :p.

Now, ummmmm, I'll paste the last part of my codecs.conf file.

videocodec coreserve
info "CoreAVC DShow H264 decoder 1.3 for x86 - http://corecodec.org/"
status working
format 0x10000005
fourcc H264,h264 H264
fourcc X264,x264
fourcc avc1,AVC1 AVC1
fourcc davc,DAVC
fourcc VSSH
driver dshowserver
dll "CoreAVCDecoder.ax"
out YV12,IYUV,I420,YUY2

Thanks for your reply!

Bachstelze
May 7th, 2009, 03:21 PM
It seems correct. Did you run

dshowserver -c CoreAVCDecoder.ax -s 1280x720 -g 09571a4b-f1fe-4c60-9760de6d310c7c31 -b 12 -f 0x34363248 -o 0x30323449

and was the output as it should have been?

Absurd
May 8th, 2009, 03:22 PM
I'm getting the "Cannot find codec matching selected -vo and video format 0x31637661."

I'm pretty sure that the video is H.264 and that I did everything else correctly. However, based on the parameters I see for the aforementioned dshowserver command, the options seems to be specifically for 720p videos.
I believe the video in format 0x31637661 is 480p (NTSC dvd). How would I go about adding a dshowserver entry for that?

Bachstelze
May 8th, 2009, 03:49 PM
However, based on the parameters I see for the aforementioned dshowserver command, the options seems to be specifically for 720p videos.

That comment is just here to test whether dshowserver and CoreAVC are working properly, it doesn't have anything to do with actual video playback. Once again, did the command output what it shuld when you ran it?

Absurd
May 8th, 2009, 04:14 PM
yes, and I'll run it again too

{albert:~/.mplayer}$ dshowserver -c CoreAVCDecoder.ax -s 1280x720 -g 09571a4b-f1fe-4c60-9760de6d310c7c31 -b 12 -f 0x34363248 -o 0x30323449
Opening device
ProductVersion: 1.9.0
Win32 LoadLibrary failed to load: nvcuvid.dll, /usr/lib/win32/nvcuvid.dll, /usr/local/lib/win32/nvcuvid.dll
Setting fmt
Starting
{albert:~/.mplayer}$ (05/08/09 8:13 AM)

here's my mplayer output if you don't believe me

{albert:~/.mplayer}$ /usr/local/bin/mplayer -vc coreserve /media/Source/movies/The.Man.Who.Knew.Too.Much.1956.DVDRip.AC3.h264-TSDC/The.Man.Who.Knew.Too.Much-TSDC.mkv
MPlayer SVN-r29274-4.3.3 (C) 2000-2009 MPlayer Team

Playing /media/Source/movies/The.Man.Who.Knew.Too.Much.1956.DVDRip.AC3.h264-TSDC/The.Man.Who.Knew.Too.Much-TSDC.mkv.
VIDEO: [avc1] 720x464 24bpp 23.976 fps 0.0 kbps ( 0.0 kbyte/s)
AUDIO: 48000 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 192.0 kbit/12.50% (ratio: 24000->192000)
Starting playback...
A: 3.4 (03.3) of 0.0 (00.0) 0.4%

MPlayer interrupted by signal 2 in module: play_audio
A: 3.5 (03.4) of 0.0 (00.0) 0.4%
Exiting... (Quit)
{albert:~/.mplayer}$ (05/08/09 8:13 AM)

[edit]ok, for some reason it all works. Like, out of the blue.

suggestion to fellow nvidia users: if you use jaunty, you may want to install the nvidia-180-libvdpau-dev package before using the ./configure command before building mplayer. This will allow mplayer to compile with vdpau support; vdpau is the output plugin for CUDA decoding.

Master One
May 8th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Awesome! Thanks for that great guide, HymnToLife, got it all working on a fresh Jaunty installation without any problems:

- CoreAVC 1.9.5 Build 6721
- MPlayer SVN r29275
- SMPlayer 0.6.7+SVN-r3014

At first I was skeptical, because of the installation going to /usr/local and having to compile SMPlayer manually as well, but that was no trouble at all. SMPlayer is so much better then the gmplayer gui, just get it from SVN as well, because the latest source tarball from the SMplayer site (v0.6.7) is broken.

Hopefully you keep that guide updated, development is going on so fast.

kingnebby
May 23rd, 2009, 04:18 PM
any way to get alsa to work?
dont have this option in my audio driver
Thanks

Bachstelze
May 23rd, 2009, 06:07 PM
any way to get alsa to work?
dont have this option in my audio driver
Thanks

You're probably missing some -dev package that is needed to compile with ALSA support. I can't help you with that, though, sorry.

kingnebby
May 23rd, 2009, 07:22 PM
You're probably missing some -dev package that is needed to compile with ALSA support. I can't help you with that, though, sorry.

Thanks,
figured it out
during compiling

$sudo apt-get install build-essential subversion pkg-config xorg-dev libgtk2.0-dev libpulse-dev libasound2-dev

$cd ~/mplayer-with-coreavc/mplayer
$./configure --enable-gui --enable-alsa --enable-pulse

gandalf_17
May 25th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Hi.

I had done this how to a month ago, and mplayer works very well. But I have formatted mi PC and I have followed this tutorial again, however mplayer works slowly now. I have done this guide several times and I can't solved the problem. Ideas?

Thank very much

Bye!

xyos
May 29th, 2009, 08:57 AM
tank you! it worked flawlessly

gandalf_17
June 4th, 2009, 11:47 PM
Hi, I have problems again :S

I have followed the guide again and when I compile, it appears this error:

collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [mplayer] Error 1

I have configured the program with:

./configure --enable-gui

Ideas?

Thank Very Much

Bye!

Bachstelze
June 4th, 2009, 11:59 PM

./configure --enable-gui

Ideas?

Thank Very Much

Bye!

Probably a change in mplayer that broke compatibility. I'll look into it tomorrow.

kingnebby
June 7th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Hi.

I had done this how to a month ago, and mplayer works very well. But I have formatted mi PC and I have followed this tutorial again, however mplayer works slowly now. I have done this guide several times and I can't solved the problem. Ideas?

Thank very much

Bye!

do you have your ubuntu-restricted-extras installed?

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extra

gandalf_17
June 7th, 2009, 03:23 PM
do you have your ubuntu-restricted-extras installed?

Thanks, kingnebby, but I have solved that problem when I wrote vc=coreserve, in mi mplayer config file.

Now, my problem is:

./configure --enable-gui

Ideas?

Thanks again for your patience.

Bye!

Bachstelze
June 7th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Ideas?

Thanks again for your patience.

Bye!

I answered to that one. Please be patient, my time is not unlimited.

gandalf_17
June 7th, 2009, 05:04 PM
I answered to that one. Please be patient, my time is not unlimited.

I'm sorry. I did not irritated you.

Bye!

kingnebby
June 7th, 2009, 05:56 PM

./configure --enable-gui

Ideas?

Thank Very Much

Bye!

I would just use ./configure without --enable-gui
and install smplayer instead

Master One
June 7th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Yes, forget the MPlayer gui, that's what SMPlayer is for.

sciurognathi
June 10th, 2009, 12:55 AM
I received a patch error:

patching file Makefile
Hunk #2 FAILED at 224
1 out of 2 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file Makefile.rej

Problem solved: see http://code.google.com/p/coreavc-for-linux/issues/detail?id=85

Still another problem arrived: when I go to full screen in smplayer all is freezing and I need to reboot.

Ideas?

Bachstelze
June 16th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Guide updated with a new patch, but it seems someone was faster than me. :p

swells5
June 19th, 2009, 01:57 PM
output from end of "make" (mplayer)- up until this point I thought I finally had it made.

coreavc 1.9.5 and output of dshowserver is identical to what you suggest it should be.
--
Opening device
ProductVersion: 1.9.5
Setting fmt
Starting
-----
copy of end of make file where it started to give errors
----
In file included from command.c:44:
stream/stream_dvd.h:6:32: error: dvdread/dvd_reader.h: No such file or directory
stream/stream_dvd.h:7:31: error: dvdread/ifo_types.h: No such file or directory
stream/stream_dvd.h:8:30: error: dvdread/ifo_read.h: No such file or directory
stream/stream_dvd.h:9:30: error: dvdread/nav_read.h: No such file or directory
In file included from command.c:44:
stream/stream_dvd.h:13: error: expected specifier-qualifier-list before 'dvd_reader_t'
make: *** [command.o] Error 1
-----
thanks for any help
steve

Bachstelze
June 19th, 2009, 05:02 PM
You seem to be missing some files that should be in your mplayer source tree. Are you adding any extra options to ./configure?

Master One
June 19th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Made a new installation (without any extra options to ./configure) incl. SMPlayer (from svn as well) yesterday, all OK.

swells5
June 19th, 2009, 10:24 PM
no extra options
./configure
only.
steve

Bachstelze
June 19th, 2009, 11:12 PM
no extra options
./configure
only.
steve

Then I really don't know what could be wrong. Maybe having a full log of your build process might help, do:

cd
rm -rf mplayer-with-coreavc
script mplayerbuild.log

then start over. After the errors occurs, do

exist

and reply to this post with the mplayerbuild.log file as attachment.

sodapop_
June 20th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Hi im using the svn version of mplayer compiled with gcc 4.4.0,
since my nvidia (NV40 [GeForce 6800]) card does not support VDPAU im trying to use CoreAVC,
the problem is that i dont see much difference when using CoreAVC still the video specially on high motion
scenes plays slow and looses sync with the audio. any ideas?

CPU usage : dshowserver 40%, mplayer 20%, X 15%

mplayer file.mkv -vc coreserve -ao alsa -ac hwac3 -nocorrect-pts

VIDEO: [avc1] 1280x544 24bpp 23.976 fps 0.0 kbps ( 0.0 kbyte/s)
Opening device
ProductVersion: 1.8.5
Setting fmt
Starting
Dshowserver Connected to host
VDec: vo config request - 1280 x 544 (preferred colorspace: Packed YUY2)
[PP] Using codec's postprocessing, max q = 4.
Movie-Aspect is 2.35:1 - prescaling to correct movie aspect.
VO: [xv] 1280x544 => 1280x544 Planar YV12
[VO_XV] Shared memory not supported
Reverting to normal Xv.
[VO_XV] Shared memory not supported
Reverting to normal Xv.
Found DirectShow filterSelected video codec: [coreserve] vfm: dshowserver (CoreAVC DShow H264 decoder 1.3 for x86 - http://corecodec.org/)
Forced audio codec: hwac3
Opening audio decoder: [hwac3] AC3/DTS pass-through S/PDIF
No accelerated IMDCT transform found
hwac3: switched to AC3, 448000 bps, 48000 Hz
AUDIO: 48000 Hz, 2 ch, ac3, 448.0 kbit/29.17% (ratio: 56000->192000)
Selected audio codec: [hwac3] afm: hwac3 (AC3 through S/PDIF)
AO: [alsa] 48000Hz 2ch ac3 (1 bytes per sample)
Starting playback...

- Slow video output
- Slow CPU
- Broken file
- Try -cache 8192.
- Try -nocache.

Bachstelze
June 20th, 2009, 05:13 PM
CoreAVC is not magical pixie dust. ;) Sometimes, videos are just too complex to decode even with it.

sodapop_
June 21st, 2009, 10:13 PM
i can see no difference in performance on any mkv file.

Bachstelze
June 22nd, 2009, 12:41 AM
i can see no difference in performance on any mkv file.

Your CoreAVC installed properly, that's all I can say. If you think it sucks and want your money back, ask CoreCodec, not me...

jarek.uk
June 23rd, 2009, 02:08 PM
Hi,

I get this error when I try to run a patch. Any suggestions why?

patch: **** Can't rename file libmpcodecs/vd.c to libmpcodecs/vd.c.orig : Permission denied

Bachstelze
June 23rd, 2009, 02:17 PM
Hi,

I get this error when I try to run a patch. Any suggestions why?

patch: **** Can't rename file libmpcodecs/vd.c to libmpcodecs/vd.c.orig : Permission denied

Apparently you don't have write permission to your source tree, which is why patch can't create backups of the patched files. The build should still work normally without them, though.

jarek.uk
June 23rd, 2009, 02:45 PM
I changed permission on all the files in folder to 0777 and i run it as sudo.

how can i give more permission?

In your how to, your printout shows that more files were patched after vd.c, and in my case it stops when it can't rename vd.c.

Bachstelze
June 23rd, 2009, 02:58 PM
I changed permission on all the files in folder to 0777 and i run it as sudo.

You probably did something wrong right from the start. You should not need to change permissions for anything, and you should not run anything with sudo that is not run with sudo in the guide.

jarek.uk
June 23rd, 2009, 03:08 PM
that might be a problem... i run most of commands with sudo, just in case.

I'll do it again then.

thanks for your help.

rldev
August 7th, 2009, 01:45 AM
Well the guide worked for me. I have using a harry Potter trailer 1080p and it runs perfectly. However I can't get smplayer to work with it properly. What is the path I should be giving smplayer and do I have to add any flags under advanced.?

I tried /usrlocal/bin/mplayer, but that gives me horrible playback. Command line playback is good.

rvm4000
August 7th, 2009, 10:18 AM
In smplayer 0.6.8 there's an option in preferences -> performance to enable coreavc.

Bachstelze
August 7th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Also, you should read the guide more carefully. ;) I explain what to do when you want to start mplayer from a GUI.

rldev
August 7th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Thanks rvm. I have it playing after I checked coreavc in smplayer. However, the performance is far worse than running mplayer from the command line. I had this same issue before running this patch, that's why I tried it. I'm not sure what variables smplayer is passing, but it is unwatchable with smplayer. Pretty good in mplayer from the command line.

I also notice and I'm sure somehow related that there is a big difference in performance when I run:

mplayer /home/rocco/Desktop/*vidfile

as root vs user. I only get good performance running as root.

rvm4000
August 8th, 2009, 01:19 AM
Thanks rvm. I have it playing after I checked coreavc in smplayer. However, the performance is far worse than running mplayer from the command line. I had this same issue before running this patch, that's why I tried it. I'm not sure what variables smplayer is passing, but it is unwatchable with smplayer. Pretty good in mplayer from the command line.

You can see the arguments that smplayer passes to mplayer in Options -> View logs -> mplayer.

n3had
August 16th, 2009, 07:58 AM
You can see the arguments that smplayer passes to mplayer in Options -> View logs -> mplayer.

I've been trying to following this guide on karmic, i tried both the ppa and svn and had no installation problems

but i get this error when i try to play the file

/usr/bin/mplayer -noquiet -nofs -nomouseinput -vc coreserve, -lavdopts threads=2 -sub-fuzziness 1 -identify -slave -vo xv -ao pulse -nokeepaspect -nodr -double -input nodefault-bindings:conf=/dev/null -stop-xscreensaver -wid 73400335 -monitorpixelaspect 1 -*** -embeddedfonts -***-line-spacing 0 -***-font-scale 1 -***-styles /home/tru3m0sl3m/.config/smplayer/styles.*** -fontconfig -font DejaVu Sans -subfont-autoscale 0 -subfont-osd-scale 14 -subfont-text-scale 14 -subcp ISO-8859-1 -vid 0 -aid 0 -subpos 100 -volume 100 -cache 2000 -osdlevel -vf-add screenshot -noslices -channels 6 -af volnorm=1,scaletempo /media/disk-2/123.mkv -loop 0

MPlayer SVN-r29325-4.4.1 (C) 2000-2009 MPlayer Team
parse error at line 347
Terminal type `unknown' is not defined.

Playing /media/disk-2/123.mkv.

ID_VIDEO_ID=0
ID_AUDIO_ID=0
ID_AID_0_LANG=und
[mkv] Track ID 2: audio (A_AC3), -aid 0, -alang und
VIDEO: [avc1] 1280x720 24bpp 23.976 fps 0.0 kbps ( 0.0 kbyte/s)
ID_FILENAME=/media/disk-2/123.mkv
ID_DEMUXER=mkv
ID_VIDEO_FORMAT=avc1
ID_VIDEO_BITRATE=0
ID_VIDEO_WIDTH=1280
ID_VIDEO_HEIGHT=720
ID_VIDEO_FPS=23.976
ID_VIDEO_ASPECT=1.7778
ID_AUDIO_FORMAT=8192
ID_AUDIO_BITRATE=0
ID_AUDIO_RATE=48000
ID_AUDIO_NCH=6
ID_LENGTH=2487.90
ID_SEEKABLE=1
ID_CHAPTERS=0
[***] auto-open
Opening video filter: [screenshot]
[***] Init
[***] Updating font cache.
Opening device
Setting fmt
Starting
VDec: vo config request - 1280 x 720 (preferred colorspace: Packed YUY2)
ID_VIDEO_ASPECT=1.7778
[swscaler @ 0x33323e0]No accelerated colorspace conversion found.
[swscaler @ 0x33323e0]using unscaled yuv420p -> rgb24 special converter
VO: [xv] 1280x720 => 1280x720 Planar YV12
Found DirectShow filterSelected video codec: [coreserve] vfm: dshowserver (CoreAVC DShow H264 decoder for x86 - http://corecodec.org/)
ID_VIDEO_CODEC=coreserve

MPlayer interrupted by signal 11 in module: init_audio_codec
ID_SIGNAL=11

Bachstelze
August 16th, 2009, 11:10 AM
I've been trying to following this guide on karmic, i tried both the ppa and svn and had no installation problems

but i get this error when i try to play the file

Please try without SMPlayer.

Nepherte
August 16th, 2009, 03:59 PM
MPlayer SVN-r29325-4.4.1 (C) 2000-2009 MPlayer Team
opening audio decoder: [liba52] AC3 decoding with liba52

MPlayer interrupted by signal 11 in module: init_audio_codec
ID_SIGNAL=11

This is a known problem when compiling mplayer with gcc 4.4.1 and liba52 support enabled. The problem was already there when compiling with gcc 4.4.0. A patch was released which fixed the issue for 4.4.0 and the problem "should" have been fixed with 4.4.1 but unfortunately it doesn't work.

You can either compile mplayer with an older gcc (remember to apply the patch for liba52 if using 4.4.0) or wait till a new fix is published.

penguinchrissy
August 19th, 2009, 01:01 AM
My mplayer make fails with these errors

lcldec.c:50:18: error: zlib.h: No such file or directory
lcldec.c:70: error: expected specifier-qualifier-list before 'z_stream'
lcldec.c: In function 'zlib_decomp':
lcldec.c:131: warning: implicit declaration of function 'inflateReset'
lcldec.c:131: error: 'LclDecContext' has no member named 'zstream'
lcldec.c:132: error: 'Z_OK' undeclared (first use in this function)
lcldec.c:132: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
lcldec.c:132: error: for each function it appears in.)
lcldec.c:136: error: 'LclDecContext' has no member named 'zstream'
lcldec.c:137: error: 'LclDecContext' has no member named 'zstream'
lcldec.c:138: error: 'LclDecContext' has no member named 'zstream'
lcldec.c:139: error: 'LclDecContext' has no member named 'zstream'
lcldec.c:140: warning: implicit declaration of function 'inflate'
lcldec.c:140: error: 'LclDecContext' has no member named 'zstream'
lcldec.c:140: error: 'Z_FINISH' undeclared (first use in this function)
lcldec.c:141: error: 'Z_STREAM_END' undeclared (first use in this function)
lcldec.c:145: error: 'LclDecContext' has no member named 'zstream'
lcldec.c:147: error: 'LclDecContext' has no member named 'zstream'
lcldec.c:150: error: 'LclDecContext' has no member named 'zstream'
lcldec.c: In function 'decode_init':
lcldec.c:544: error: 'Z_NO_COMPRESSION' undeclared (first use in this function)
lcldec.c:544: error: 'Z_BEST_COMPRESSION' undeclared (first use in this function)
lcldec.c:580: error: 'LclDecContext' has no member named 'zstream'
lcldec.c:580: error: 'Z_NULL' undeclared (first use in this function)
lcldec.c:581: error: 'LclDecContext' has no member named 'zstream'
lcldec.c:582: error: 'LclDecContext' has no member named 'zstream'
lcldec.c:583: warning: implicit declaration of function 'inflateInit'
lcldec.c:583: error: 'LclDecContext' has no member named 'zstream'
lcldec.c:584: error: 'Z_OK' undeclared (first use in this function)
lcldec.c: In function 'decode_end':
lcldec.c:609: warning: implicit declaration of function 'inflateEnd'
lcldec.c:609: error: 'LclDecContext' has no member named 'zstream'
make[1]: *** [lcldec.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/dj/mplayer-with-coreavc/mplayer/libavcodec'
make: *** [libavcodec/libavcodec.a] Error 2

anything I can do or forgot to do that can fix/caused this?

Bachstelze
August 19th, 2009, 01:29 AM
Install zlib1g-dev.

penguinchrissy
August 19th, 2009, 03:50 AM
Thanks for help on the first problem. I didn't realize that I had my repositories from intrepid so I had to change them back in reinstall build-essentials. After doing that though I get this error that I can't decode

libavcodec/libavcodec.a(lcldec.o): In function `decode_frame':
lcldec.c:(.text+0x579): undefined reference to `inflateReset'
lcldec.c:(.text+0x5b9): undefined reference to `inflate'
lcldec.c:(.text+0x7bb): undefined reference to `inflateReset'
lcldec.c:(.text+0x811): undefined reference to `inflate'
lcldec.c:(.text+0x867): undefined reference to `inflateReset'
lcldec.c:(.text+0x8bf): undefined reference to `inflate'
libavcodec/libavcodec.a(lcldec.o): In function `decode_end':
lcldec.c:(.text.unlikely+0x4b): undefined reference to `inflateEnd'
libavcodec/libavcodec.a(lcldec.o): In function `decode_init':
lcldec.c:(.text.unlikely+0x363): undefined reference to `inflateInit_'
libavcodec/libavcodec.a(lclenc.o): In function `encode_frame':
lclenc.c:(.text+0x41): undefined reference to `deflateReset'
lclenc.c:(.text+0x91): undefined reference to `deflate'
lclenc.c:(.text+0xaa): undefined reference to `deflate'
libavcodec/libavcodec.a(lclenc.o): In function `encode_end':
lclenc.c:(.text.unlikely+0x23): undefined reference to `deflateEnd'
libavcodec/libavcodec.a(lclenc.o): In function `encode_init':
lclenc.c:(.text.unlikely+0x131): undefined reference to `deflateInit_'

thanks for your help.

regneva
September 9th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Thanks for help on the first problem. I didn't realize that I had my repositories from intrepid so I had to change them back in reinstall build-essentials. After doing that though I get this error that I can't decode

libavcodec/libavcodec.a(lcldec.o): In function `decode_frame':
lcldec.c:(.text+0x579): undefined reference to `inflateReset'
lcldec.c:(.text+0x5b9): undefined reference to `inflate'
lcldec.c:(.text+0x7bb): undefined reference to `inflateReset'
lcldec.c:(.text+0x811): undefined reference to `inflate'
lcldec.c:(.text+0x867): undefined reference to `inflateReset'
lcldec.c:(.text+0x8bf): undefined reference to `inflate'
libavcodec/libavcodec.a(lcldec.o): In function `decode_end':
lcldec.c:(.text.unlikely+0x4b): undefined reference to `inflateEnd'
libavcodec/libavcodec.a(lcldec.o): In function `decode_init':
lcldec.c:(.text.unlikely+0x363): undefined reference to `inflateInit_'
libavcodec/libavcodec.a(lclenc.o): In function `encode_frame':
lclenc.c:(.text+0x41): undefined reference to `deflateReset'
lclenc.c:(.text+0x91): undefined reference to `deflate'
lclenc.c:(.text+0xaa): undefined reference to `deflate'
libavcodec/libavcodec.a(lclenc.o): In function `encode_end':
lclenc.c:(.text.unlikely+0x23): undefined reference to `deflateEnd'
libavcodec/libavcodec.a(lclenc.o): In function `encode_init':
lclenc.c:(.text.unlikely+0x131): undefined reference to `deflateInit_'

thanks for your help.

Open makefile using "gedit Makefile". There should be a line which begis with EXTRALIBS. Append " -lz -lm" to that line and try make again.

Bachstelze
September 9th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Do not ediy your makefile. Just running

make clean
./configure
make

should be enough.

GraceDivine
September 19th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Hello and thank you for the guide!
I just cloned the latest mplayer-mt source, and configured the source with just ./configure
After the code is generated, I tried applying the patch specified with this command:
wget http://paste.ubuntu.com/197237/plain/ -qO - | patch -p0

Here is the output:

Hunk #1 FAILED at 29.
Hunk #2 succeeded at 55 with fuzz 2 (offset -7 lines).
1 out of 2 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file libmpcodecs/vd.c.rej
patching file Makefile
Hunk #2 succeeded at 522 (offset 298 lines).
patching file libmpcodecs/vd_dshowserver.c

After issuing the make command, I get this shortened error:

libmpcodecs/vd.o -MD -MP -MF libmpcodecs/vd.d libmpcodecs/vd.c
libmpcodecs/vd.c:57: error: 'mpcodecs_vd_dshowserver' undeclared here (not in a function)
make: *** [libmpcodecs/vd.o] Error 1

Perhaps the mplayer svn code is not compatible with the dshow patch anymore?
Do anyone else have this problem too?

Bachstelze
September 19th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Perhaps the mplayer svn code is not compatible with the dshow patch anymore?

Works fine here with vanilla MPlayer. If you are going to use CoreAVC, you don't need ffmpeg-mt anyway.

GraceDivine
September 19th, 2009, 06:39 PM
You are correct that it works with the latest svn (18-9-2009). Thanks for the tip!
I was just wanting to integrate CoreAVC with mplayer-mt once again, because my notebook is not that powerful, hence the need for dual-core usage. The last time I was able to build mplayer-mt with CoreAVC was back in August. Thanks again!

Bachstelze
September 19th, 2009, 06:41 PM
The last time I was able to build mplayer-mt with CoreAVC was back in August.

Okay so it worked before, then. Give me a few minutes, I'll make a new patch.

Bachstelze
September 19th, 2009, 07:01 PM
How are you getting the mplayer-mt sources? It seems to work fine here.

GraceDivine
September 19th, 2009, 07:29 PM
From this git source:

git clone git://repo.or.cz/mplayer && cd mplayer && git checkout origin/mt && git submodule init && git submodule update

Bachstelze
September 19th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Okay, try this one:

wget http://paste.ubuntu.com/274320/plain/ -qO - | patch -p0

GraceDivine
September 19th, 2009, 09:19 PM
Your updated patch worked!
Thanks very much!

khelben1979
September 19th, 2009, 09:28 PM
If you have a powerful graphics card and a slow cpu, is it worth it? Or is it just a waste of time?

I tried CoreAVC on a Windows system last year and was impressed by the speed, but it don't feel good that you need to pay for this. I rather choose slower software which is free in this case. It would be interesting to see some bars/diagrams describing some fps from this CoreAVC.

Bachstelze
September 19th, 2009, 09:30 PM
If you have a powerful graphics card and a slow cpu, is it worth it? Or is it just a waste of time?

If your graphics card is a recent one by nvidia, you can try VDPAU instead. Otherwise, it absolutely doesn't matter how powerful your graphics card is, since it's the CPU that does all the decoding work.

khelben1979
September 19th, 2009, 09:37 PM
If your graphics card is a recent one by nvidia, you can try VDPAU instead. Otherwise, it absolutely doesn't matter how powerful your graphics card is, since it's the CPU that does all the decoding work.

How recent? :)
Will a nVidia Geforce7800GS do? :lolflag:

GraceDivine
September 19th, 2009, 09:45 PM
VDPAU is great....if you own an NVIDIA card of course.
The CPU usage is extremely low, especially with the latest driver updates!
Also, NVIDIA recently released libvdpau which if ATI or Intel were smart, they would incorporate that into their proprietary code bases.
Nonetheless, those of us stuck with AMD/ATI have to rely on coreAVC and mplayer-mt.....for now!

Bachstelze
September 19th, 2009, 09:48 PM
How recent? :)
Will a nVidia Geforce7800GS do? :lolflag:

Sadly, no. You need a GeForce 8 series or above:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VDPAU#Table_of_NVIDIA_GPUs

GraceDivine
September 19th, 2009, 09:54 PM
khelben1979: I would much rather use free software as well!
My desktop is powerful enough to run without coreAVC + mplayer but my notebook is not.

Thanks again to Bachstelze for the help!

GraceDivine
October 2nd, 2009, 03:49 AM
It seems CoreAVC 1.9.5.0 Pro was recently released.
I'll build a package with this newer version, test it and report back soon.

wingsofgreed
October 8th, 2009, 03:48 PM
First of all hello, i have to say that i really love the tutorials in this forum and that the yours especially have my attention.

But (there always a but) to be honest i am suffering a little because i am a newbie and when i tried to prove it appears this:

htpc@htpc-desktop:~$ dshowserver -c CoreAVCDecoder.ax -s 1280x1024 -g 09571a4b-f1fe-4c60-9760de6d310c7c31 -b 12 -f 0x34363248 -o 0x30323449
Opening device
Fallo de segmentación

(failure of segmentation)

i realy apreciate if you can explain me when i made the mistaque, oh and like a said thanks i'v really enjoying my first 2 weeks a lot.:popcorn:

Bachstelze
October 8th, 2009, 07:23 PM
We'll need more details about your configuration: version of Ubuntu, architecture (32 or 64 bit), etc.

kevinguillorytraining
October 9th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Thanks for nice tutorial.

xfalcox
October 15th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Hey,

Thanks A LOT for the tutorial, worked fine on my EEEPC 1000HA @ Karmic Beta UNR.

Is there a way to build a .deb to pass it to my friend?

GraceDivine
October 16th, 2009, 01:19 PM
xfalcox, after you downloaded, patched, and configured the source code, just issue this command:

dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot

Or if you want to customize your ./configure , just do this:

DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS=" (your config options) fakeroot debian/rules binary

GraceDivine
October 16th, 2009, 01:20 PM
By the way, the newer CoreAVC for windows works well with Bachstelze's code patch.

jafox
October 17th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Using Karmic/LPIA.
1. Added repos:
rvm/mplayer
rvm/smplayer
2. Installed mplayer/smplayer from rvm ppa via apt
3. Installed dshowserver from coreavc-for-ubuntu ppa
4. Installed CoreAVC per normal instructions, registered codec.
5. added the vc=coreserve, option to my .mplayer/config file
6. mplayer -vc coreserve foo.mkv works fine, and plays well on my wimpy atom system.

Playing with smplayer is pretty choppy though. I am trying to figure out which options smplayer is passing to mplayer that is slowing things down.

Master One
October 25th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Playing with smplayer is pretty choppy though.
You have to disable the option "Allow drop of frames" (or something like that), which is enabled in SMPlayer by default.

I just did a new installation of Ubuntu 9.10-RC on a P4 2.4GHz with 1GB RAM, which should be enough for 720p playback (according to this (http://coreavc.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=28&Itemid=1) info), installed MPlayer with CoreAVC 1.9.5 + SMPlayer, but CPU usage goes to 100%, mplayer says "Your system is too SLOW to play this", and although there are no visible distortions in the picture, audio is totally out of sync.

Is the use MPlayer with CoreAVC more demanding, than using CoreAVC on Windows? According to the requirements for 720p playback, my hardware is better than the recommended, nevertheless it's not enough.

As it was mentioned to work on an Eee PC, can an Atom N270 playback 720p material (downscaled to the display resolution of 1024x600)?

Bachstelze
October 25th, 2009, 10:40 PM
I just did a new installation of Ubuntu 9.10-RC on a P4 2.4GHz with 1GB RAM, which should be enough for 720p playback (according to this (http://coreavc.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=28&Itemid=1) info), installed MPlayer with CoreAVC 1.9.5 + SMPlayer, but CPU usage goes to 100%, mplayer says "Your system is too SLOW to play this", and although there are no visible distortions in the picture, audio is totally out of sync.[/code]

Does this also happen when you play your file in mplayer from the command line (not smplayer)?

[quote]As it was mentioned to work on an Eee PC, can an Atom N270 playback 720p material (downscaled to the display resolution of 1024x600)?

Yes, but remember that downscaling can increase CPU usage dramatically. Maybe that's where your problem comes from.

Master One
October 26th, 2009, 11:59 AM
The message "Your system is too SLOW to play this" came when starting mplayer from a terminal, the effect with A/V out of sync came with both mplayer and SMPlayer (after all, SMPlayer is just a GUI frontent for mplayer).

When selecting "Allow drop of frames" A/V stayed in sync, but I had picture distortions, when there was movement in the video. When not allowing frame-drop, the picture was fine without any problems, but A/V was out of sync (jumping to another part in the video, A/V was in sync for a short time, but pretty much got lost again). Since the CPU was at 100% most of the time, with dshowserver alone more than 60% all the time, it's pretty clear, that the used P4 2.4Ghz was just not fast enough.

I did not try it on my Asus Eee PC 901GO with Atom N270 1.6Ghz yet, but I will do soon (that where the video has to be downscaled from 1280x720 to 1024x600, with my test on the P4 2.4Ghz I had it play in native resolution and 50%, but no difference there).

I already kicked the idea of using the P4 2.4GHz machine for my purpose, and I am just doing the same setup on a Dual-Core Atom 330 1.6Ghz with 2GB RAM, which is know is working fine for 720p AVC content. When finished, I'll setup my netbook the same way (additionally with the UNR package), then I can tell, if 720p AVC content can be played downscaled to 1024x600.

Master One
October 27th, 2009, 05:07 PM
It's amazing! Playback of 720p AVC material downscaled to 1024x600 indeed works on my Asus Eee PC 901GO with its Intel Atom N270 1.6GHz (single core with hyperthreading). That's HD on the Eee! Really nice! :)

Looks like it makes full use of hyperthreading (two instances of dshowserver running, both recognized CPUs under heavy load).

Quite strange, that the Atom N270 with 3200 bogomips is doing well, whereas the P4 2.4GHz with ~ 4700 bogomips was too slow.

datscilly
October 30th, 2009, 06:20 PM
First, thanks a lot for the guide Bachstelze. It allowed me to get more video performance out of my system than otherwise, and for that I'm grateful.

After upgrading to karmic from jaunty, this custom build of mplayer stopped functioning (for this user) due to the shared library dependency libdirectfb-1.0.so.0 being not found. Karmic had replaced libdirectfb-1.0 by libdirectfb-1.2, and the symlink libdirectfb-1.0.so.0 is now gone and replaced with the symlink libdirectfb-1.2.so.0. Here's the error message that would be googled "libdirectfb-1.0.so.0 cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory."

As I'm a new user and had to learn about shared library dependencies and review unix commands such as ldd and cp to fix this, I wanted to post a solution here. To restore the missing libdirectfb-1.0.so.0:

cd /usr/lib sudo
cp libdirectfb-1.2.so.0 libdirectfb-1.0.so.0

(Or if creating copies of libdirectfb-1.2.so.0.7.0 is somehow bad, then
cd /usr/lib sudo
ln -s libdirectfb-1.2.so.0.7.0 libdirectfb-1.0.so.0 However, since I'm inexperienced I don't know if everyone has the same lib file libdirectfb-1.2.so.0.7.0.)

Bachstelze
October 30th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Just recompile your MPlayer. ;) You'll get a new build that will depend on the new library.

Bachstelze
October 31st, 2009, 03:34 PM
Guide updated for Karmic and CoreAVC 1.9.5.

Master One
October 31st, 2009, 07:22 PM
That's strange. What problems is GCC 4.4 supposed to cause with compiling Mplayer?

I already made three installations of Mplayer with CoreAVC + SMplayer + SMplayer-Themes from SVN this way, all on fresh Karmic installs, and all just working fine, no problems detected so far.

Bachstelze
October 31st, 2009, 07:36 PM
That's strange. What problems is GCC 4.4 supposed to cause with compiling Mplayer?

I already made three installations of Mplayer with CoreAVC + SMplayer + SMplayer-Themes from SVN this way, all on fresh Karmic installs, and all just working fine, no problems detected so far.

Google "mplayer GCC 4.4", and also see earlier posts on this thread. ;) Personally, I've had a lot of MPlayer crashes when compiling it with gcc 4.4. Of course, your mileage may vary, bur since it's not just me, I think it's better to play it safe and tell KArmic users to compile with gcc 4.3.

Master One
November 1st, 2009, 10:48 AM
No idea, what's different here then, because I use this setup on a daily basis on three different machines, and not a single mplayer crash (yet). The only addition I made to your guide was
aptitude build-dep mplayer smplayerbefore the mplayer ./configure.

TruebaseB
November 7th, 2009, 02:39 AM
Thanks Bachstelze for this nice guide. :)

Hmm... I have a problem.

I followed all the steps,the MPlayer is working,but it seems that the acceleration doesn't.

Actually,i'm sure that it doesn't work because i have high cpu load when i play an hd video.

I also upgraded my gpu drivers to the latest.

I'm using the CoreAVC 1.9.5

Any idea about this problem?

Thanks.

Bachstelze
November 7th, 2009, 03:06 AM
What are your hardware specs? The GPU drivers are irrelevant here: CoreAVC in Linux can't use the GPU like in Windows. If you want to use your GPU, have a look at VDPAU.

TruebaseB
November 7th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Hi,

Actually i need gpu decoding,because i have a crappy cpu,which is just fine for my everyday use and some games i play on linux,but is the worst processor for 1080p video decoding (720p is running fine).

On windows with CoreAVC and Media Player Classic i have about 5-10% cpu load when i play 1080p videos,but on linux i have 100% cpu load,and the image stucks on the fast scenes.

I don't know what can i do since it's my first time i'm dealing with media players on linux,but i will try out the VDPAU.

Thanks for your response. :)

Btw my main hardware specs are:

Pentium 4 506 @ 4,5ghz
Nvidia Geforce 9800gtx
2gb Ram @ 1066mhz

Arup
November 7th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Hi,

Actually i need gpu decoding,because i have a crappy cpu,which is just fine for my everyday use and some games i play on linux,but is the worst processor for 1080p video decoding (720p is running fine).

On windows with CoreAVC and Media Player Classic i have about 5-10% cpu load when i play 1080p videos,but on linux i have 100% cpu load,and the image stucks on the fast scenes.

I don't know what can i do since it's my first time i'm dealing with media players on linux,but i will try out the VDPAU.

Thanks for your response. :)

Btw my main hardware specs are:

Pentium 4 506 @ 4,5ghz
Nvidia Geforce 9800gtx
2gb Ram @ 1066mhz

Even cheap 8400 nvidia would do VDPAU with ease, the 9600 would do super high rez. You need to follow instructions here and use the latest 190.42 drivers http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1081070&highlight=mplayer+compile

TruebaseB
November 7th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Thank you,i'll do my tests later.:)

ClockworkMonk
November 8th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Have followed the instructions as best I can, including using gcc 4.3, but make bombs out (after many, many warnings - is that normal?) with

libmpcodecs/vd.o:(.rodata+0x8): undefined reference to `mpcodecs_vd_dshowserver'
libvo/sub.o: In function `vo_update_text_teletext':
sub.c:(.text+0x1e07): undefined reference to `force_load_font'
sub.c:(.text+0x1e16): undefined reference to `osd_font_scale_factor'
sub.c:(.text+0x1e1c): undefined reference to `osd_font_scale_factor'

Any help welcome.

CWM

wisekki
November 9th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Same here with 9.10.. altough not exactly the same output as above, but something to do with fonts i guess :)

make: *** [mencoder] Error 1
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....

Any kind of help is appreciated. :)

- Antti

Bachstelze
November 9th, 2009, 07:30 PM
No problem here, on both 32 and 64 bits. Can you paste the entire output of ./configure ?

wisekki
November 9th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Okay problem solved for me. I just installed libfreetype6, libfontconfig1 and their dev-packages.

But for some reason mplayer plays .mkv for a few minutes and then crashes saying:

glibc detected *** /opt/mplayer/bin/mplayer: free(): invalid next size(fast): 0x09187448 ***
Backtrace:
/lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6[0xb72abff1] ... and so on..

Mplayer interrupted by signal 6 in module: decode_audio

..and this happens with every movie I have.

Is there something wrong with Karmic's audio drivers or smthng like that? Worked nicely on 9.04...

Bachstelze
November 9th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Looks like the kind of crashes I got when building MPlayer with gcc 4.4. Did you use 4.3?

wisekki
November 9th, 2009, 09:35 PM
Yes I did.. just like it was explained in the howto.. CC=gcc-4.3 ./configure

ClockworkMonk
November 10th, 2009, 12:22 AM
OK - I had libfreetype6 and libfontconfig1 installed, but not their dev files. Installed said dev files, and now get a different make error - should I remove everything and start again from clean?

For reference, this is the new make complaint:

libmpcodecs/vd.o:(.rodata+0x8): undefined reference to `mpcodecs_vd_dshowserver'

And, if it is still of interest, here's the ./configure output. Had to do it as root - is that right, or is that a sign of something else untoward?

Checking for cc version ... 4.4.1
Detected operating system: Linux
Detected host architecture: i386
Checking for host cc ... cc
Checking for cross compilation ... no
Checking for CPU vendor ... GenuineIntel (6:14:8)
Checking for CPU type ... Genuine Intel(R) CPU T2300 @ 1.66GHz
Checking for kernel support of mmx ... yes
Checking for kernel support of mmxext ... yes
Checking for kernel support of sse ... yes
Checking for kernel support of sse2 ... yes
Checking for kernel support of cmov ... yes
Checking for mtrr support ... yes
Checking for GCC & CPU optimization abilities ... native
Checking for byte order ... little-endian
Checking for extern symbol prefix ...
Checking for assembler support of -pipe option ... yes
Checking for compiler support of named assembler arguments ... yes
Checking for assembler (as ) ... ok
Checking for .align is a power of two ... no
Checking for 10 assembler operands ... yes
Checking for ebx availability ... yes
Checking for PIC ... no
Checking for yasm ... no
Checking for bswap ... yes
Checking for Linux kernel version ... 2.6.31-14-generic, ok
Checking for -lposix ... no
Checking for -lm ... yes
Checking for langinfo ... yes
Checking for language ... messages: en - man pages: en - documentation: en
Checking for enable sighandler ... yes
Checking for runtime cpudetection ... no
Checking for restrict keyword ... restrict
Checking for __builtin_expect ... yes
Checking for kstat ... no
Checking for posix4 ... no
Checking for llrint ... yes
Checking for log2 ... yes
Checking for lrint ... yes
Checking for lrintf ... yes
Checking for round ... yes
Checking for roundf ... yes
Checking for truncf ... yes
Checking for mkstemp ... yes
Checking for nanosleep ... yes
Checking for socklib ... yes
Checking for arpa/inet.h ... yes
Checking for inet_pton() ... yes
Checking for inet_aton() ... yes
Checking for socklen_t ... yes
Checking for closesocket() ... no
Checking for network ... yes
Checking for inet6 ... yes
Checking for gethostbyname2 ... yes
Checking for inttypes.h (required) ... yes
Checking for int_fastXY_t in inttypes.h ... yes
Checking for malloc.h ... yes
Checking for memalign() ... yes
Checking for posix_memalign() ... yes
Checking for alloca.h ... yes
Checking for fastmemcpy ... yes
Checking for mman.h ... yes
Checking for dynamic loader ... yes
Checking for dynamic a/v plugins support ... no
Checking for pthread ... yes (using -lpthread)
Checking for w32threads ... no (using pthread instead)
Checking for rpath ... no
Checking for iconv ... yes
Checking for soundcard.h ... yes (sys/soundcard.h)
Checking for sys/dvdio.h ... no
Checking for sys/cdio.h ... no
Checking for linux/cdrom.h ... yes
Checking for dvd.h ... no
Checking for termcap ... no
Checking for termios ... yes (using sys/termios.h)
Checking for shm ... yes
Checking for strsep() ... yes
Checking for vsscanf() ... yes
Checking for swab() ... yes
Checking for POSIX select() ... yes
Checking for audio select() ... yes
Checking for gettimeofday() ... yes
Checking for glob() ... yes
Checking for setenv() ... yes
Checking for sys/sysinfo.h ... yes
Checking for Apple IR ... yes
Checking for pkg-config ... yes
Checking for Samba support (libsmbclient) ... no
Checking for tdfxfb ... no
Checking for s3fb ... no
Checking for wii ... no
Checking for tdfxvid ... no
Checking for xvr100 ... no
Checking for tga ... yes
Checking for md5sum support ... yes
Checking for yuv4mpeg support ... yes
Checking for bl ... no
Checking for DirectFB ... no
Checking for X11 headers presence ... no (check if the dev(el) packages are installed)
Checking for X11 ... no (check if the dev(el) packages are installed)
Checking for Xss screensaver extensions ... no
Checking for DPMS ... no
Checking for Xv ... no
Checking for XvMC ... no
Checking for VDPAU ... no
Checking for Xinerama ... no
Checking for Xxf86vm ... no
Checking for XF86keysym ... no
Checking for DGA ... no
Checking for 3dfx ... no
Checking for VIDIX ... yes
Checking for VIDIX PCI device name database ... yes
Checking for VIDIX dhahelper support ... no
Checking for VIDIX svgalib_helper support ... no
Checking for /dev/mga_vid ... no
Checking for xmga ... no
Checking for GGI ... no
Checking for GGI extension: libggiwmh ... no
Checking for AA ... no
Checking for CACA ... no
Checking for SVGAlib ... no
Checking for FBDev ... yes
Checking for DVB ... no
Checking for DVB HEAD ... yes
Checking for OpenGL ... no
Checking for PNG support ... no
Checking for MNG support ... no
Checking for JPEG support ... no
Checking for PNM support ... yes
Checking for GIF support ... no
Checking for VESA support ... no
Checking for SDL ... no
Checking for DXR2 ... no
Checking for DXR3/H+ ... no
Checking for IVTV TV-Out (pre linux-2.6.24) ... no
Checking for V4L2 MPEG Decoder ... yes
Checking for OSS Audio ... yes
Checking for aRts ... no
Checking for EsounD ... no
Checking for NAS ... no
Checking for pulse ... no
Checking for JACK ... no
Checking for OpenAL ... no
Checking for ALSA audio ... no
Checking for Sun audio ... no
Checking for VCD support ... yes
Checking for dvdread ... yes (internal)
Checking for internal libdvdcss ... yes
Checking for cdparanoia ... no
Checking for libcdio ... no
Checking for bitmap font support ... yes
Checking for freetype >= 2.0.9 ... yes
Checking for fontconfig ... yes
Checking for SSA/*** support ... yes
Checking for fribidi with charsets ... no
Checking for ENCA ... no
Checking for zlib ... yes
Checking for bzlib ... no
Checking for RTC ... yes
Checking for liblzo2 support ... no
Checking for mad support ... no
Checking for Twolame ... no
Checking for Toolame ... no
Checking for OggVorbis support ... yes (internal Tremor)
Checking for libspeex (version >= 1.1 required) ... no
Checking for OggTheora support ... no
Checking for internal mp3lib support ... yes
Checking for liba52 support ... yes (internal)
Checking for internal libmpeg2 support ... yes
Checking for libdca support ... no
Checking for libmpcdec (musepack, version >= 1.2.1 required) ... no
Checking for FAAC support ... no (in libavcodec: no)
Checking for FAAD2 support ... yes (internal floating-point)
Checking for LADSPA plugin support ... no
Checking for libbs2b audio filter support ... no
Checking for Win32 codecs ... yes (using /usr/local/lib/win32)
Checking for XAnim codecs ... yes (using /usr/local/lib/win32)
Checking for RealPlayer codecs ... yes (using /usr/local/lib/win32)
Checking for QuickTime codecs ... yes
Checking for Nemesi Streaming Media libraries ... no
Checking for LIVE555 Streaming Media libraries ... no
Checking for FFmpeg libavutil ... yes (static)
Checking for FFmpeg libavcodec ... yes (static)
Checking for FFmpeg libavformat ... yes (static)
Checking for FFmpeg libpostproc ... yes (static)
Checking for FFmpeg libswscale ... yes (static)
Checking for libopencore_amr narrowband ... no
Checking for libopencore_amr wideband ... no
Checking for libdv-0.9.5+ ... no
Checking for Xvid ... no
Checking for Xvid two pass plugin ... no
Checking for x264 ... no (in libavcodec: no)
Checking for libdirac ... no
Checking for libschroedinger ... no
Checking for libnut ... no
Checking for zr ... no
Checking for libmp3lame ... no (in libavcodec: no)
Checking for mencoder ... yes
Checking for UnRAR executable ... yes
Checking for TV interface ... yes
Checking for DirectShow TV interface ... no
Checking for Video 4 Linux TV interface ... yes
Checking for Video 4 Linux 2 TV interface ... yes
Checking for Radio interface ... no
Checking for Capture for Radio interface ... no
Checking for Video 4 Linux 2 Radio interface ... no
Checking for Video 4 Linux Radio interface ... no
Checking for Video 4 Linux 2 MPEG PVR interface ... yes
Checking for ftp ... yes
Checking for vstream client ... no
Checking for OSD menu ... no
Checking for Subtitles sorting ... yes
Checking for XMMS inputplugin support ... no
Checking for GUI ... no
Checking for automatic gdb attach ... no
Checking for compiler support for noexecstack ... yes
Checking for joystick ... no
Checking for lirc ... no
Checking for lircc ... no
Checking for DVD support (libdvdnav) ... yes (internal)
Creating config.mak
Creating config.h

Config files successfully generated by ./configure !

Install prefix: /usr/local
Data directory: /usr/local/share/mplayer
Config direct.: /usr/local/etc/mplayer

Byte order: little-endian
Optimizing for: native

Languages:
Messages/GUI: en
Manual pages: en
Documentation: en

Enabled optional drivers:
Input: dvdnav(internal) ftp pvr tv-v4l2 tv-v4l tv libdvdcss(internal) dvdread(internal) vcd dvb network
Codecs: libavcodec(internal) qtx real xanim win32 faad2(internal) libmpeg2(internal) liba52(internal) mp3lib(internal) tremor(internal)
Audio output: oss v4l2 mpegpes(dvb)
Video output: v4l2 pnm mpegpes(dvb) fbdev cvidix yuv4mpeg md5sum tga

Disabled optional drivers:
Input: vstream radio tv-dshow live555 nemesi cddb cdda smb
Codecs: libschroedinger libdirac x264 xvid libdv libopencore_amrwb libopencore_amrnb faac musepack libdca libtheora speex toolame twolame libmad liblzo gif
Audio output: sun alsa openal jack pulse nas esd arts ivtv dxr2 sdl
Video output: zr zr2 ivtv dxr3 dxr2 sdl vesa gif89a jpeg png opengl svga caca aa ggi xmga mga xvidix winvidix 3dfx dga vdpau xvmc xv x11 dfbmga directfb bl xvr100 tdfx_vid wii s3fb tdfxfb

'config.h' and 'config.mak' contain your configuration options.
Note: If you alter theses files (for instance CFLAGS) MPlayer may no longer
compile *** DO NOT REPORT BUGS if you tweak these files ***

'make' will now compile MPlayer and 'make install' will install it.
Note: On non-Linux systems you might need to use 'gmake' instead of 'make'.

Please check mtrr settings at /proc/mtrr (see DOCS/HTML//video.html#mtrr)

Check configure.log if you wonder why an autodetection failed (make sure
development headers/packages are installed).

NOTE: The --enable-* parameters unconditionally force options on, completely
skipping autodetection. This behavior is unlike what you may be used to from
autoconf-based configure scripts that can decide to override you. This greater
level of control comes at a price. You may have to provide the correct compiler
and linker flags yourself.
If you used one of these options (except --enable-gui and similar ones that
turn on internal features) and experience a compilation or linking failure,
make sure you have passed the necessary compiler/linker flags to configure.

If you suspect a bug, please read DOCS/HTML//bugreports.html.

Ta!

CWM

Master One
November 10th, 2009, 01:18 AM
Guys, how about just doing a "aptitude build-dep mplayer" before the "./configure" of mplayer-SVN? That step makes sure, that everything needed is in place. This is how I did it on 4 machines, and absolutely no problems so far, even with Karmic's default GCC 4.4.

wisekki
November 10th, 2009, 05:29 AM
ClockworkMonk: did you use gcc 4.3? :)

Master One: thnx for the tip.. i did not even know you could use it like that :( stupid of me...

Bachstelze
November 10th, 2009, 07:16 AM
Had to do it as root - is that right, or is that a sign of something else untoward?

Definitely not right.

Bachstelze
November 10th, 2009, 07:17 AM
Guys, how about just doing a "aptitude build-dep mplayer" before the "./configure" of mplayer-SVN?

Because it installs a lot of unnecessary things.

Master One
November 10th, 2009, 10:42 AM
I know, but that does not really hurt, and it's definitely better then missing some dependencies (also fixes the ALSA/Pulse audio issue, which otherwise would require manual fiddling). Since that step is the only relevant difference to your guide, I suspect that one to prevent the mentioned GCC 4.4 issues as well (maybe by the use of some external components, if ./configure detects their presence?).

wisekki
November 10th, 2009, 10:53 AM

How much unnecessary things? :) I'm using slow 3G-connection so I guess it's not an option for me :) --edit-- Okay it takes about 90MB and 22MB to download.. uh..

I know this goes beyond this guide but what kind of fiddling do I need to fix this pulse/alsa problem that I currently have?

Master One
November 10th, 2009, 11:20 AM
The "aptitude build-dep mplayer" pulls about 50MB in, if I remember right, so it's not really tragic. ALSA/Pulse support is not compiled into mplayer, if you don't have the needed dev-packages installed, which is what "aptitude build-dep mplayer" takes care of. If you don't want to pull in all mplayer build-deps, you have to watch the output of ./configure, and install the desired missing dev-packages manually (followed by another ./configure and then make).

Bachstelze, sorry if you think this is OT and not to be covered by your guide, but in the end, more people will ask about it, or wonder, why a manual compile of mplayer is missing functionality over the mplayer from the official repos.

wisekki
November 10th, 2009, 12:19 PM
ALSA/Pulse support is not compiled into mplayer, if you don't have the needed dev-packages installed, which is what "aptitude build-dep mplayer" takes care of. If you don't want to pull in all mplayer build-deps, you have to watch the output of ./configure, and install the desired missing dev-packages manually (followed by another ./configure and then make).

Well that is what I did.. I watched configure closely and installed manually every -dep package that I wanted/needed. But still my audio is very buggy and mplayer crashes. Doesn't matter if I use pulse or alsa.. :(

Nate53085
November 10th, 2009, 03:54 PM
I have tried this guide with 2 different computers (one jaunty, one karmic) and I can't get it to work. On both machines coreserve tests fine, but mplayer simply outputs black and doesn't look like its playing. An example output from mplayer:

mplayer -ao null -vc coreserve Serenity\ -\ HD\ DVD\ Trailer.mp4

MPlayer SVN-r29813-4.3.3 (C) 2000-2009 MPlayer Team
141 audio & 307 video codecs

Playing Serenity - HD DVD Trailer.mp4.
libavformat file format detected.
[lavf] Video stream found, -vid 0
[lavf] Audio stream found, -aid 1
VIDEO: [H264] 1280x720 24bpp 23.976 fps 4674.1 kbps (570.6 kbyte/s)
Clip info:
major_brand: isom
minor_version: 1
compatible_brands: isomavc1
author: Universal Pictures
title: Serenity - HD DVD Trailer
year: 2005
Opening device
Setting fmt
Starting
Movie-Aspect is undefined - no prescaling applied.
Found DirectShow filterSelected video codec: [coreserve] vfm: dshowserver (CoreAVC DShow H264 decoder 1.3 for x86 - http://corecodec.org/)
Opening audio decoder: [faad] AAC (MPEG2/4 Advanced Audio Coding)
AUDIO: 48000 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 127.5 kbit/8.30% (ratio: 15942->192000)
Selected audio codec: [faad] afm: faad (FAAD AAC (MPEG-2/MPEG-4 Audio))
AO: [null] 48000Hz 2ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)
Starting playback...

Too many audio packets in the buffer: (4096 in 1400938 bytes).
Maybe you are playing a non-interleaved stream/file or the codec failed?
For AVI files, try to force non-interleaved mode with the -ni option.
A: 0.2 V: 0.0 A-V: 0.224 ct: 0.000 0/ 0 ??% ??% ??,?% 1408 0
Destroying filter
Exiting... (End of file)
in-frames: 2102 out-frames: 0

Notice I supplied -ao null so that I could be sure there wasn't an issue with a sound card or something.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

arryo
November 11th, 2009, 03:10 AM
Thanks Bachstelze (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=51114) for your great tutorial. I managed to install successfully. But after installing SMplayer and Mplayer-mt from RVM/PPA, I no longer play mplayer from command line any more, still can play from SMPlayer though. Here the error

vobsub:mpeg_run error
no matching VOBSUB language found!
seek failed

Also when I play with smplayer, I already choose 5.1 for audio but in my receiver, it shows only 3 channels working. If I play the same file on xbmc, it shows DTS correctly

Thank you

Edited: I decided to remove everything and reinstall only mplayer with coreavc, but the same error about vobsub again

ClockworkMonk
November 12th, 2009, 09:48 PM
The "aptitude build-dep mplayer" pulls about 50MB in, if I remember right, so it's not really tragic. ALSA/Pulse support is not compiled into mplayer, if you don't have the needed dev-packages installed, which is what "aptitude build-dep mplayer" takes care of. If you don't want to pull in all mplayer build-deps, you have to watch the output of ./configure, and install the desired missing dev-packages manually (followed by another ./configure and then make).

Bachstelze, sorry if you think this is OT and not to be covered by your guide, but in the end, more people will ask about it, or wonder, why a manual compile of mplayer is missing functionality over the mplayer from the official repos.

Well, I did the build-dep mplayer thang. Didn't make any difference, still getting the make error and still needs to be compiled as root, so I imagine I've got some dodgy permissions somewhere. I'll have another go at the weekend after ripping everything out and starting again from scratch. Real life still getting in the way of satisfying Linux hackery!

CWM

Bachstelze
November 13th, 2009, 05:12 PM

I don't mind people discussing it here, but since those are features I don't use, I can't help you with them.

Master One
November 20th, 2009, 05:47 PM
It seems, I am having a strange problem here with Mplayer SVN + CoreAVC not being able in playing MP4 files.

I just downloaded the first episode (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UVy7uUceXw) of Riese - The Series (http://www.youtube.com/user/Riesetheseries) (which is a free webseries, means a legal download), using the Firefox plugin "DownloadHelper". There are several versions of the file available for download, I chose the [HQ22] file with .mp4 ending, which is 720p using H.264 / AVC video codec, and MPEG-4 AAC audio codec.

When I open the file in SMplayer, it seems to be starting to playback, I can hear a fraction of audio, no video, then it just quits.

When I start with mplayer on the commandline, it get to "Starting playback...", the video video opens, no video, and after some time (timeout), it just quits with the lines below the ""Starting playback...":
$ mplayer -ao pulse 'Episode 1 - Hunt.mp4'
MPlayer SVN-r29814-4.4.1 (C) 2000-2009 MPlayer Team

Playing Episode 1 - Hunt.mp4.
[lavf] Audio stream found, -aid 0
[lavf] Video stream found, -vid 1
VIDEO: [H264] 1280x720 24bpp 23.976 fps 1750.4 kbps (213.7 kbyte/s)
Clip info:
major_brand: mp42
minor_version: 0
compatible_brands: isomavc1mp42
Xlib: extension "NV-GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
[vdpau] Error when calling vdp_device_create_x11: 1
Opening device
Setting fmt
Starting
AUDIO: 44100 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 119.3 kbit/8.45% (ratio: 14914->176400)
AO: [pulse] 44100Hz 2ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)
Starting playback...

Too many audio packets in the buffer: (4096 in 1429060 bytes).
A: 0.2 V: 0.0 A-V: 0.205 ct: 0.000 0/ 0 ??% ??% ??,?% 1470 0
Destroying filter
Exiting... (End of file)
in-frames: 2278 out-frames: 0
When starting with the "-nosound" option, exactly the same happens, so it gets till the line "Starting playback...", the video window opens, but no video, and nothing more happens, although it does not time out and just stays that way, till I manually abort with Strg-C, which leads to:
Audio: no sound
Starting playback...

Got illegal command 0
Destroying filter??% ??% ??,?% 0 0
Exiting... (Quit)
This should not have anything to do with the FAAC codec (libfaac0 is installed, as was libfaac-dev before compiling mplayer), or PulseAudio/ALSA/OSS.

Can anybody here please try to play the mentioned file with the manually compiled Mplayer from SVN with CoreAVC support?

I am quite sure, that this can not be a general problem, and maybe I am just missing something here. A search on the web did not lead to anything useful, and the downloaded .mp4 file itself is OK (can be played with Totem Video-Player, although the result is totally unacceptable here on my low-power machine due to the missing CoreAVC support).

P.S. That youtube-download is the only .mp4 file I have so far, so I don't know, if it can not play any .mp4 file, or just that one.

EDIT: Ok, the issue most likely does not have anything to do with the container format, because I just downloaded the version [HQ35] of that video in .flv format, and it results in the same problem, so can not be opened in Mplayer SVN with CoreAVC, but works fine in Totem Video-Player. Must have something to do either with the AAC audio, or the way this file is encoded/multiplexed. Somebody here using Mplayer SVN with CoreAVC please try this file.

Bachstelze
November 20th, 2009, 10:59 PM
I could try it if I knew how to download a YouTube video. ^^;

Master One
November 20th, 2009, 11:52 PM
Just install the "DownloadHelper" add-on in Firefox, you will then find a new button besides "Home" in the navigation-bar, visit the link in my previous post for Riese Episode 1 on youtube, the DownloadHelper button gets active, and shows you the available videos on that page. There are several different files to choose from, the one that starts with [HQ22] is the .mp4 file with 720p resolution, [HQ35] is a .flv file in SD resolution, both use the same codecs (H.264/AVC and AAC). Then it's just click and download, really pretty straight forward (just installed that add-on myself today, because obviously it should have given a better viewing result in SMplayer SVN with CoreAVC, than with these stupid webbased Flash videoplayers).

mc4man
November 21st, 2009, 01:22 AM
Too many audio packets in the buffer:

With a run of the mill aac stream like twhat's on your video that error could be caused by having a different version of libfaad installed from what mplayer was built off of.

Try forcing the audio decoding to avcodec instead

mplayer -ac ffaac -ao pulse 'Episode 1 - Hunt.mp4'

I could try it if I knew how to download a YouTube video

if you don't wish to install anything then just open the link, switch to hd or leave at sd, pause the player if you don't want to watch.

Go about your business and a few min.'s later you can grab the file from /tmp when it's fully buffered.

Master One
November 21st, 2009, 09:30 AM
With a run of the mill aac stream like twhat's on your video that error could be caused by having a different version of libfaad installed from what mplayer was built off of.

Try forcing the audio decoding to avcodec instead

mplayer -ac ffaac -ao pulse 'Episode 1 - Hunt.mp4'
That looked plausible, and gave hope (although I do not recall any libfaad update since the compilation of mplayer), but did not change anything:
$ mplayer -ac ffaac -ao pulse 'Episode 1 - Hunt.mp4'MPlayer SVN-r29814-4.4.1 (C) 2000-2009 MPlayer Team

Playing Episode 1 - Hunt.mp4.
[lavf] Audio stream found, -aid 0
[lavf] Video stream found, -vid 1
VIDEO: [H264] 1280x720 24bpp 23.976 fps 1750.4 kbps (213.7 kbyte/s)
Clip info:
major_brand: mp42
minor_version: 0
compatible_brands: isomavc1mp42
Xlib: extension "NV-GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
[vdpau] Error when calling vdp_device_create_x11: 1
Opening device
Setting fmt
Starting
Forced audio codec: ffaac
Opening audio decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg/libavcodec audio decoders
AUDIO: 44100 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 119.3 kbit/8.45% (ratio: 14914->176400)
Selected audio codec: [ffaac] afm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg AAC (MPEG-2/MPEG-4 Audio))
AO: [pulse] 44100Hz 2ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)
Starting playback...

. (some waiting for a timeout)

Too many audio packets in the buffer: (4096 in 1429060 bytes).
A: 0.2 V: 0.0 A-V: 0.197 ct: 0.000 0/ 0 ??% ??% ??,?% 1457 0
Destroying filter
Exiting... (End of file)
in-frames: 2278 out-frames: 0
This has to be a different problem.

I really would like to get some feedback from others, experiencing the same problem.

if you don't wish to install anything then just open the link, switch to hd or leave at sd, pause the player if you don't want to watch.

Go about your business and a few min.'s later you can grab the file from /tmp when it's fully buffered.
Cool, didn't know that, but the DownloadHelper add-on is so much more comfortable, and even supports conversion.

Master One
November 23rd, 2009, 05:46 PM
There is definitely something wrong with this Mplayer installment, I just tried with the HQ35 version of the youtube video from the SGU Vancouver Press-Conference (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgPYaROAhlc), which is 640x480 H.264/AVC, and Mplayer shows the same behavior as described above, whereas Totem Video-Player can play that file just fine. That means the issue is not just limited to the way, they encoded/muxed the Rise - The Series videos.

I guess, the problem can be seen with any .mp4 or .flv file from youtube, so please, somebody here have a look, so that I know, that others are experiencing the same issue as well, and maybe somebody knows a solution for that problem (still can't believe that Mplayer is not supposed to be able to play such files).

Bachstelze
November 23rd, 2009, 06:56 PM
It seems to be some weird interaction bug between MPlayer and CoreAVC. MPlayer plays the files fine without CoreAVC, and CoreAVC plays them fine in Windows.

BagRackRider
November 24th, 2009, 07:37 PM
I have the exact same problem with MP4 files, however these are NOT from youtube. Would be nice if someone actually finds a fix for this.

Bachstelze
November 24th, 2009, 07:39 PM
I have the exact same problem with MP4 files, however these are NOT from youtube. Would be nice if someone actually finds a fix for this.

I have a ton of mp4 files that work just fine, so without more detail...

Nate53085
November 24th, 2009, 08:11 PM
I am running into the same problem. I would be happy to troubleshoot and give you any information that is required to sort it out, just point me in the right direction.

This is the video I have been using for testing:

http://www.dvdloc8.com/clip.php?movieid=8419&clipid=2

Its the serenity trailer from this website: http://www.h264info.com/clips.html

When playing this movie I get the following:

./mplayer -vc coreserve -ao null ../../Serenity\ -\ HD\ DVD\ Trailer.mp4

MPlayer SVN-r29813-4.3.3 (C) 2000-2009 MPlayer Team
3DNow supported but disabled
3DNowExt supported but disabled

Playing ../../Serenity - HD DVD Trailer.mp4.
VIDEO: [H264] 1280x720 24bpp 23.976 fps 4674.1 kbps (570.6 kbyte/s)
Clip info:
major_brand: isom
minor_version: 1
compatible_brands: isomavc1
author: Universal Pictures
title: Serenity - HD DVD Trailer
year: 2005
Opening device
Setting fmt
Starting
AUDIO: 48000 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 127.5 kbit/8.30% (ratio: 15942->192000)
AO: [null] 48000Hz 2ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)
Starting playback...

Too many audio packets in the buffer: (4096 in 1400938 bytes).
A: 0.2 V: 0.0 A-V: 0.224 ct: 0.000 0/ 0 ??% ??% ??,?% 1420 0
Destroying filter
Exiting... (End of file)
in-frames: 2102 out-frames: 0

Mplayer opens a window of the correct size, but no updates occur. The screen is either black or some smear of the windows underneath it.

BagRackRider
November 24th, 2009, 10:26 PM
I have a ton of mp4 files that work just fine, so without more detail...

This is the info i get from MediaInfo;
Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : Main@L3.1
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
Codec ID : avc1
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding

Audio
ID : 2
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format version : Version 4
Format profile : LC
Format settings, SBR : No
Codec ID : 40

Bachstelze
November 24th, 2009, 11:13 PM
The dshowserver sources need to be patched (as per this post (http://code.google.com/p/coreavc-for-linux/issues/detail?id=93)). Move to the dir where your coreavc-for-linux sources are, download the attached patch, and run

make clean
patch -p0 < DS_VideoDecoder.c.diff
make

Then copy the new dshowserver binary over your old one. You don't need to rebuild MPlayer.

Bachstelze
November 24th, 2009, 11:16 PM
Reported broken files now work fine:

firas@kano:~$ mplayer -vc coreserve dwhelper/Episode\ 1\ -\ Hunt.flv
MPlayer SVN-r29962-4.3.4 (C) 2000-2009 MPlayer Team
141 audio & 309 video codecs

Playing dwhelper/Episode 1 - Hunt.flv.
VIDEO: [H264] 854x480 0bpp 23.976 fps 1033.9 kbps (126.2 kbyte/s)
Clip info:
duration: 543
starttime: 0
totalduration: 543
width: 854
height: 480
videodatarate: 1010
audiodatarate: 96
totaldatarate: 1113
framerate: 24
bytelength: 75636052
canseekontime: true
sourcedata: B4A7D0605
purl:
pmsg:
[VO_XV] It seems there is no Xvideo support for your video card available.
[VO_XV] Run 'xvinfo' to verify its Xv support and read
[VO_XV] DOCS/HTML/en/video.html#xv!
[VO_XV] See 'mplayer -vo help' for other (non-xv) video out drivers.
[VO_XV] Try -vo x11.
Opening device
Setting fmt
Starting
VO: [x11] 854x480 => 854x480 Planar YV12
[swscaler @ 0xa4f99b0]using unscaled yuv420p -> rgb32 special converter
FAAD: compressed input bitrate missing, assuming 128kbit/s!
AUDIO: 44100 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 128.0 kbit/9.07% (ratio: 16000->176400)
[AO OSS] audio_setup: Can't open audio device /dev/dsp: No such file or directory
DVB card number must be between 1 and 4
AO: [null] 44100Hz 2ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)
Starting playback...
************ 2.5 A-V: 0.001 ct: -0.017 0/ 0 21% 10% 1.4% 2 0
in-frames: 63 out-frames: 62
Destroying filter
Exiting... (Quit)

Notice the line:

VIDEO: [H264] 854x480 0bpp 23.976 fps 1033.9 kbps (126.2 kbyte/s)

The file had a stored FOURCC value of "H264", which wasn't recognized as being H.264 by dshowserver anymore (it was really like trying to open a xvid file with CoreAVC). Files that have a FOURCC value of "avc1" were not affected.

Bachstelze
November 24th, 2009, 11:51 PM
Guide updated, and new precompiled dshowserver and registercodec binaries for 64 bit users uploaded.

BagRackRider
November 25th, 2009, 12:00 AM
The dshowserver sources need to be patched (as per this post (http://code.google.com/p/coreavc-for-linux/issues/detail?id=93)). Move to the dir where your coreavc-for-linux sources are, download the attached patch, and run

make clean
patch -p0 < DS_VideoDecoder.c.diff
makeThen copy the new dshowserver binary over your old one. You don't need to rebuild MPlayer.

Hm.. aint that patch the same as the one in the first post?
http://paste.ubuntu.com/327178/plain/

So I basically did the whole dshowserver step in the guide again from the begining just to make sure I got it right.
And it WORKS now... and I was pretty sure I followed the guide step by step but apperently the patch-step went wrong or I just missed it.

Bachstelze
November 25th, 2009, 12:02 AM
Hm.. aint that patch the same as the one in the first post?
http://paste.ubuntu.com/327178/plain/

Yes it is, I just updated the guide. ;) I copied the patch to the pastebin because the URL to the original is a bit long.

BagRackRider
November 25th, 2009, 12:04 AM
Yeah, obviously you changed the guide while I was reading the forum.. ;)
Thanks for the detective work btw.

Master One
November 25th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Yes, that patch fixed the problem. :)

Great guidance, great result (without it, all my low-power Atom hardware would be pretty much useless, since I usually only watch 720p content).

quvil
November 26th, 2009, 05:35 AM
When I tried to test whether codec registration had worked (dshowserver -c CoreAVCDecoder.ax -s 1280x720 ...), dshowserver crashed with an assertion:

Opening device
dshowserver: malloc.c:3074: sYSMALLOc: Assertion `(old_top == (((mbinptr) (((char *) &((av)->bins[((1) - 1) * 2])) - __builtin_offsetof (struct malloc_chunk, fd)))) && old_size == 0) || ((unsigned long) (old_size) >= (unsigned long)((((__builtin_offsetof (struct malloc_chunk, fd_nextsize))+((2 * (sizeof(size_t))) - 1)) & ~((2 * (sizeof(size_t))) - 1))) && ((old_top)->size & 0x1) && ((unsigned long)old_end & pagemask) == 0)' failed.
Aborted

Did somebody encounter something similar?

I compiled dshowserver statically according to the instructions on a system with Atom n280 running Karmic, and tried to use it on a 64 bit system with Core 2 Duo T7250 running Jaunty.

P.S.: site hosting a tarball with precompiled binaries was unavailable, I could not check whether it would behave differently.

Cesaar
November 26th, 2009, 07:07 AM
When I tried to test whether codec registration had worked (dshowserver -c CoreAVCDecoder.ax -s 1280x720 ...), dshowserver crashed with an assertion:

Opening device
dshowserver: malloc.c:3074: sYSMALLOc: Assertion `(old_top == (((mbinptr) (((char *) &((av)->bins[((1) - 1) * 2])) - __builtin_offsetof (struct malloc_chunk, fd)))) && old_size == 0) || ((unsigned long) (old_size) >= (unsigned long)((((__builtin_offsetof (struct malloc_chunk, fd_nextsize))+((2 * (sizeof(size_t))) - 1)) & ~((2 * (sizeof(size_t))) - 1))) && ((old_top)->size & 0x1) && ((unsigned long)old_end & pagemask) == 0)' failed.
Aborted

I compiled dshowserver statically according to the instructions on a system with Atom n280 running Karmic, and tried to use it on a 64 bit system with Core 2 Duo T7250 running Jaunty.

P.S.: site hosting a tarball with precompiled binaries was unavailable, I could not check whether it would behave differently.

Hi, I got exactly the same crash, using 32bit system also running karmic

quvil
November 26th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Indeed there is a problem with compiling dshowserver on Karmic and using it on Jaunty: I tried to compile on some old 32 bit Red Hat, and it worked. Maybe the problem is in gcc version (4.4.1 on Karmic).

christian667
November 27th, 2009, 11:02 PM
Hi there!
I did the tutorial and everything looked well.
I'm running a Ubuntu Karmic machine, and used
the CoreAVC with jaunty before without any problems.
But now I have audio and the video window, but now
video :(
This is the mplayer output without audio:

mplayer -vc CoreAVC -ao no-audio big_buck_bunny_720p_h264.mov
MPlayer SVN-r29969-4.4.1 (C) 2000-2009 MPlayer Team
141 audio & 309 video codecs

Playing big_buck_bunny_720p_h264.mov.
VIDEO: [H264] 1280x720 24bpp 25.000 fps 3945.2 kbps (481.6 kbyte/s)
Clip info:
major_brand: qt
minor_version: 537199360
compatible_brands: qt
Forced video codec: CoreAVC
Opening device
Setting fmt
Starting
Found DirectShow filterSelected video codec: [CoreAVC] vfm: dshowserver (CoreAVC DShow H264 decoder 1.3 for x86 - http://corecodec.org/)
AUDIO: 48000 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 428.6 kbit/27.90% (ratio: 53575->192000)
No such audio driver 'no-audio'
Could not open/initialize audio device -> no sound.
Audio: no sound
Starting playback...
V: 0.0 0/ 0 ??% ??% ??,?% 0 0
Destroying filter
Exiting... (End of file)

Any ideas?

Sölve
December 1st, 2009, 04:07 PM
No, I've got GCC 4.3.4, Karmic 32 bits, Pentium 4 Processor and I get the information.
I think, this is a dshowserver or mplayer issue.

CorruptDNA
December 2nd, 2009, 07:32 AM
well everything was working fine, until i wrote make
then this error appeared..

./version.sh `cc -dumpversion`
cc -o mplayer command.o m_property.o mixer.o mp_fifo.o mp_msg.o mplayer.o parser-mpcmd.o input/input.o libao2/ao_mpegpes.o libao2/ao_null.o libao2/ao_pcm.o libao2/audio_out.o libvo/aspect.o libvo/geometry.o libvo/spuenc.o libvo/video_out.o libvo/vo_mpegpes.o libvo/vo_null.o input/appleir.o libvo/vo_dga.o libvo/vo_fbdev.o libvo/vo_fbdev2.o libvo/gl_common.o libvo/vo_gl.o libvo/vo_gl2.o libvo/vo_jpeg.o libvo/vo_md5sum.o libao2/ao_oss.o libvo/vo_png.o libvo/vo_pnm.o libvo/vo_tga.o libvo/vo_v4l2.o libao2/ao_v4l2.o libvo/vo_cvidix.o libvo/vosub_vidix.o vidix/vidix.o vidix/drivers.o vidix/dha.o vidix/mtrr.o vidix/pci.o vidix/pci_names.o vidix/pci_dev_ids.o vidix/cyberblade_vid.o vidix/mach64_vid.o vidix/mga_vid.o vidix/mga_crtc2_vid.o vidix/nvidia_vid.o vidix/pm2_vid.o vidix/pm3_vid.o vidix/radeon_vid.o vidix/rage128_vid.o vidix/s3_vid.o vidix/sis_vid.o vidix/sis_bridge.o vidix/unichrome_vid.o libvo/vo_x11.o libvo/vo_xover.o libvo/x11_common.o libvo/vo_xv.o libvo/vo_xvidix.o libvo/vo_yuv4mpeg.o asxparser.o codec-cfg.o cpudetect.o edl.o find_sub.o fmt-conversion.o get_path.o m_config.o m_option.o m_struct.o mpcommon.o parser-cfg.o playtree.o playtreeparser.o spudec.o sub_cc.o subopt-helper.o subreader.o vobsub.o libaf/af.o libaf/af_center.o libaf/af_channels.o libaf/af_comp.o libaf/af_delay.o libaf/af_dummy.o libaf/af_equalizer.o libaf/af_extrastereo.o libaf/af_format.o libaf/af_gate.o libaf/af_hrtf.o libaf/af_karaoke.o libaf/af_pan.o libaf/af_resample.o libaf/af_scaletempo.o libaf/af_sinesuppress.o libaf/af_stats.o libaf/af_sub.o libaf/af_surround.o libaf/af_sweep.o libaf/af_tools.o libaf/af_volnorm.o libaf/af_volume.o libaf/filter.o libaf/format.o libaf/reorder_ch.o libaf/window.o libmpcodecs/ad.o libmpcodecs/ad_alaw.o libmpcodecs/ad_dk3adpcm.o libmpcodecs/ad_dvdpcm.o libmpcodecs/ad_hwmpa.o libmpcodecs/ad_imaadpcm.o libmpcodecs/ad_msadpcm.o libmpcodecs/ad_msgsm.o libmpcodecs/ad_pcm.o libmpcodecs/dec_audio.o libmpcodecs/dec_teletext.o libmpcodecs/dec_video.o libmpcodecs/img_format.o libmpcodecs/mp_image.o libmpcodecs/native/xa_gsm.o libmpcodecs/pullup.o libmpcodecs/vd.o libmpcodecs/vd_hmblck.o libmpcodecs/vd_lzo.o libmpcodecs/vd_mpegpes.o libmpcodecs/vd_mtga.o libmpcodecs/vd_null.o libmpcodecs/vd_raw.o libmpcodecs/vd_sgi.o libmpcodecs/vf.o libmpcodecs/vf_1bpp.o libmpcodecs/vf_2xsai.o libmpcodecs/vf_blackframe.o libmpcodecs/vf_boxblur.o libmpcodecs/vf_crop.o libmpcodecs/vf_cropdetect.o libmpcodecs/vf_decimate.o libmpcodecs/vf_delogo.o libmpcodecs/vf_denoise3d.o libmpcodecs/vf_detc.o libmpcodecs/vf_dint.o libmpcodecs/vf_divtc.o libmpcodecs/vf_down3dright.o libmpcodecs/vf_dsize.o libmpcodecs/vf_dvbscale.o libmpcodecs/vf_eq.o libmpcodecs/vf_eq2.o libmpcodecs/vf_expand.o libmpcodecs/vf_field.o libmpcodecs/vf_fil.o libmpcodecs/vf_filmdint.o libmpcodecs/vf_flip.o libmpcodecs/vf_format.o libmpcodecs/vf_framestep.o libmpcodecs/vf_gradfun.o libmpcodecs/vf_halfpack.o libmpcodecs/vf_harddup.o libmpcodecs/vf_hqdn3d.o libmpcodecs/vf_hue.o libmpcodecs/vf_il.o libmpcodecs/vf_ilpack.o libmpcodecs/vf_ivtc.o libmpcodecs/vf_kerndeint.o libmpcodecs/vf_mirror.o libmpcodecs/vf_noformat.o libmpcodecs/vf_noise.o libmpcodecs/vf_ow.o libmpcodecs/vf_palette.o libmpcodecs/vf_perspective.o libmpcodecs/vf_phase.o libmpcodecs/vf_pp7.o libmpcodecs/vf_pullup.o libmpcodecs/vf_rectangle.o libmpcodecs/vf_remove_logo.o libmpcodecs/vf_rgb2bgr.o libmpcodecs/vf_rgbtest.o libmpcodecs/vf_rotate.o libmpcodecs/vf_sab.o libmpcodecs/vf_scale.o libmpcodecs/vf_smartblur.o libmpcodecs/vf_softpulldown.o libmpcodecs/vf_softskip.o libmpcodecs/vf_swapuv.o libmpcodecs/vf_telecine.o libmpcodecs/vf_test.o libmpcodecs/vf_tfields.o libmpcodecs/vf_tile.o libmpcodecs/vf_tinterlace.o libmpcodecs/vf_unsharp.o libmpcodecs/vf_vo.o libmpcodecs/vf_yadif.o libmpcodecs/vf_yuvcsp.o libmpcodecs/vf_yuy2.o libmpcodecs/vf_yvu9.o libmpdemux/aac_hdr.o libmpdemux/asfheader.o libmpdemux/aviheader.o libmpdemux/aviprint.o libmpdemux/demuxer.o libmpdemux/demux_aac.o libmpdemux/demux_asf.o libmpdemux/demux_audio.o libmpdemux/demux_avi.o libmpdemux/demux_demuxers.o libmpdemux/demux_film.o libmpdemux/demux_fli.o libmpdemux/demux_lmlm4.o libmpdemux/demux_mf.o libmpdemux/demux_mkv.o libmpdemux/demux_mov.o libmpdemux/demux_mpg.o libmpdemux/demux_nsv.o libmpdemux/demux_pva.o libmpdemux/demux_rawaudio.o libmpdemux/demux_rawvideo.o libmpdemux/demux_realaud.o libmpdemux/demux_real.o libmpdemux/demux_roq.o libmpdemux/demux_smjpeg.o libmpdemux/demux_ts.o libmpdemux/demux_ty.o libmpdemux/demux_ty_osd.o libmpdemux/demux_viv.o libmpdemux/demux_vqf.o libmpdemux/demux_y4m.o libmpdemux/ebml.o libmpdemux/extension.o libmpdemux/mf.o libmpdemux/mp3_hdr.o libmpdemux/mp_taglists.o libmpdemux/mpeg_hdr.o libmpdemux/mpeg_packetizer.o libmpdemux/parse_es.o libmpdemux/parse_mp4.o libmpdemux/video.o libmpdemux/yuv4mpeg.o libmpdemux/yuv4mpeg_ratio.o libvo/osd.o libvo/sub.o osdep/getch2.o osdep/timer-linux.o stream/open.o stream/stream.o stream/stream_cue.o stream/stream_file.o stream/stream_mf.o stream/stream_null.o stream/url.o libmpcodecs/vd_dshowserver.o stream/ai_oss.o libvo/font_load.o stream/dvb_tune.o stream/stream_dvb.o stream/stream_dvdnav.o libdvdnav/dvdnav.o libdvdnav/highlight.o libdvdnav/navigation.o libdvdnav/read_cache.o libdvdnav/remap.o libdvdnav/searching.o libdvdnav/settings.o libdvdnav/vm/decoder.o libdvdnav/vm/vm.o libdvdnav/vm/vmcmd.o stream/stream_dvd.o stream/stream_dvd_common.o libdvdread4/bitreader.o libdvdread4/dvd_input.o libdvdread4/dvd_reader.o libdvdread4/dvd_udf.o libdvdread4/ifo_print.o libdvdread4/ifo_read.o libdvdread4/md5.o libdvdread4/nav_print.o libdvdread4/nav_read.o libmpcodecs/ad_faad.o libfaad2/bits.o libfaad2/cfft.o libfaad2/common.o libfaad2/decoder.o libfaad2/drc.o libfaad2/drm_dec.o libfaad2/error.o libfaad2/filtbank.o libfaad2/hcr.o libfaad2/huffman.o libfaad2/ic_predict.o libfaad2/is.o libfaad2/lt_predict.o libfaad2/mdct.o libfaad2/mp4.o libfaad2/ms.o libfaad2/output.o libfaad2/pns.o libfaad2/ps_dec.o libfaad2/ps_syntax.o libfaad2/pulse.o libfaad2/rvlc.o libfaad2/sbr_dct.o libfaad2/sbr_dec.o libfaad2/sbr_e_nf.o libfaad2/sbr_fbt.o libfaad2/sbr_hfadj.o libfaad2/sbr_hfgen.o libfaad2/sbr_huff.o libfaad2/sbr_qmf.o libfaad2/sbr_syntax.o libfaad2/sbr_tf_grid.o libfaad2/specrec.o libfaad2/ssr.o libfaad2/ssr_fb.o libfaad2/ssr_ipqf.o libfaad2/syntax.o libfaad2/tns.o libvo/aclib.o libvo/font_load_ft.o stream/stream_ftp.o libmpcodecs/vf_bmovl.o libaf/af_export.o osdep/mmap_anon.o libmpcodecs/vd_ijpg.o libmpcodecs/ad_hwac3.o libmpcodecs/ad_liba52.o liba52/crc.o liba52/resample.o liba52/bit_allocate.o liba52/bitstream.o liba52/downmix.o liba52/imdct.o liba52/parse.o libass/***.o libass/***_bitmap.o libass/***_cache.o libass/***_font.o libass/***_fontconfig.o libass/***_library.o libass/***_mp.o libass/***_render.o libass/***_utils.o libmpcodecs/vf_***.o av_opts.o libaf/af_lavcresample.o libmpcodecs/ad_ffmpeg.o libmpcodecs/vd_ffmpeg.o libmpcodecs/vf_lavc.o libmpcodecs/vf_lavcdeint.o libmpcodecs/vf_screenshot.o libaf/af_lavcac3enc.o libmpcodecs/vf_fspp.o libmpcodecs/vf_geq.o libmpcodecs/vf_mcdeint.o libmpcodecs/vf_qp.o libmpcodecs/vf_spp.o libmpcodecs/vf_uspp.o libmpdemux/demux_lavf.o stream/stream_ffmpeg.o libdvdcss/css.o libdvdcss/device.o libdvdcss/error.o libdvdcss/ioctl.o libdvdcss/libdvdcss.o libmpcodecs/vd_libmpeg2.o libmpeg2/alloc.o libmpeg2/cpu_accel.o libmpeg2/cpu_state.o libmpeg2/decode.o libmpeg2/header.o libmpeg2/idct.o libmpeg2/motion_comp.o libmpeg2/slice.o libmpeg2/idct_mmx.o libmpeg2/motion_comp_mmx.o libmpcodecs/vf_pp.o libmpdemux/demux_mng.o libmpcodecs/ad_mp3lib.o mp3lib/sr1.o mp3lib/decode_i586.o mp3lib/dct36_3dnow.o mp3lib/dct64_3dnow.o mp3lib/dct36_k7.o mp3lib/dct64_k7.o mp3lib/dct64_mmx.o mp3lib/decode_mmx.o mp3lib/dct64_sse.o stream/stream_rtsp.o stream/freesdp/common.o stream/freesdp/errorlist.o stream/freesdp/parser.o stream/librtsp/rtsp.o stream/librtsp/rtsp_rtp.o stream/librtsp/rtsp_session.o osdep/shmem.o stream/stream_netstream.o stream/asf_mmst_streaming.o stream/asf_streaming.o stream/cookies.o stream/http.o stream/network.o stream/pnm.o stream/rtp.o stream/udp.o stream/tcp.o stream/stream_rtp.o stream/stream_udp.o stream/realrtsp/asmrp.o stream/realrtsp/real.o stream/realrtsp/rmff.o stream/realrtsp/sdpplin.o stream/realrtsp/xbuffer.o libmpcodecs/vd_mpng.o stream/stream_pvr.o libmpcodecs/ad_qtaudio.o libmpcodecs/vd_qtvideo.o loader/wrapper.o libmpcodecs/ad_realaud.o libmpcodecs/vd_realvid.o stream/cache2.o tremor/bitwise.o tremor/block.o tremor/codebook.o tremor/floor0.o tremor/floor1.o tremor/framing.o tremor/info.o tremor/mapping0.o tremor/mdct.o tremor/registry.o tremor/res012.o tremor/sharedbook.o tremor/synthesis.o tremor/window.o stream/stream_tv.o stream/tv.o stream/frequencies.o stream/tvi_dummy.o stream/tvi_v4l.o stream/audio_in.o stream/tvi_v4l2.o unrar_exec.o stream/stream_vcd.o libmpcodecs/ad_libvorbis.o libmpdemux/demux_ogg.o loader/elfdll.o loader/ext.o loader/ldt_keeper.o loader/module.o loader/pe_image.o loader/pe_resource.o loader/registry.o loader/resource.o loader/win32.o libmpcodecs/ad_acm.o libmpcodecs/ad_dmo.o libmpcodecs/ad_dshow.o libmpcodecs/ad_twin.o libmpcodecs/vd_dmo.o libmpcodecs/vd_dshow.o libmpcodecs/vd_vfw.o libmpcodecs/vd_vfwex.o libmpdemux/demux_avs.o loader/afl.o loader/drv.o loader/vfl.o loader/dshow/DS_AudioDecoder.o loader/dshow/DS_Filter.o loader/dshow/DS_VideoDecoder.o loader/dshow/allocator.o loader/dshow/cmediasample.o loader/dshow/guids.o loader/dshow/inputpin.o loader/dshow/mediatype.o loader/dshow/outputpin.o loader/dmo/DMO_AudioDecoder.o loader/dmo/DMO_VideoDecoder.o loader/dmo/buffer.o loader/dmo/dmo.o loader/dmo/dmo_guids.o libmpcodecs/vd_xanim.o libavformat/libavformat.a libavcodec/libavcodec.a libavutil/libavutil.a libpostproc/libpostproc.a libswscale/libswscale.a -Wl,-z,noexecstack -ffast-math -lpng -lz -lmng -lz -ljpeg -lfreetype -lz -lfontconfig -lz -lpthread -ldl -rdynamic -lm -lrt -lXext -lX11 -lpthread -lXss -lXv -lXinerama -lXxf86vm -lXxf86dga -lGL -ldl
vidix/pci_names.o: file not recognized: File truncated

I dont know what to do afterwards, please tell me.
Thanks.

Bachstelze
December 2nd, 2009, 11:51 AM
The patch apparently makes dshowserver crash during the "testing" phase, I will investigate as soon as I get the time.

@CorruptDNA: couldn't reproduce. Are you passing any special options to ./configure?

CorruptDNA
December 2nd, 2009, 12:54 PM
no no , its oke now.. i uninstalled the build deleted the files and redid the installation..
it got installed properly, but i cant seem to open mplayer like this..

is mplayer same as totem movie playeR?
and can i now install smplayer normally? when i uninstalled the build and everything i also uninstalled mplayer and smplayer..
Thanks

Bachstelze
December 2nd, 2009, 01:02 PM
it got installed properly, but i cant seem to open mplayer like this..

Well, what happens when you try?

is mplayer same as totem movie playeR?

No.

and can i now install smplayer normally?

Depends what you call "normally". ;) If you compiled mplayer from source, you need to also compile smplayer.

CorruptDNA
December 2nd, 2009, 01:23 PM
Well, what happens when you try?

No.
Playing foo.mkv.
File not found: 'foo.mkv'
Failed to open foo.mkv.

well is says no such file as foo or something
Depends what you call "normally". ;) If you compiled mplayer from source, you need to also compile smplayer.

yes, i followed your steps, and i installed mplayer from source, what do i have to do to install smplayer too?

also the config file you tell us to update is codecs.config.h is the "h" normal???

also when i write this, test -f ~/.mplayer/codecs.conf || cp etc/codecs.conf ~/.mplayer
my screen went black, then my cursor appeared . it was an "x" and then it went black again for 2-3 min so i restarted my computer

<snip>
Thanks

Sölve
December 2nd, 2009, 04:33 PM
The patch apparently makes dshowserver crash during the "testing" phase, I will investigate as soon as I get the time.

When you write a patch, we will have to recompile dshowserver? Mplayer too?
Regards.

Bachstelze
December 2nd, 2009, 05:39 PM
When you write a patch, we will have to recompile dshowserver? Mplayer too?

dshowserver, yes. MPlayer, probably not.

Sölve
December 2nd, 2009, 06:52 PM
Can you tell me what is the error in the patch, which makes it impossible to validate the dshowserver work?

Bachstelze
December 2nd, 2009, 07:16 PM
Can you tell me what is the error in the patch, which makes it impossible to validate the dshowserver work?

I can't, because I haven't had the time to look into it yet.

CorruptDNA
December 3rd, 2009, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the tutorial, there was no error.
I couldnt play the file because it was hd, my brother told me.. other files work perfectly..

Rimasto
December 4th, 2009, 05:31 PM

Opening device
Aborted

Well, I had the same problem, i run Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic with gcc-4.4.1, i think the problem is attributable to gcc .....
I solved by downloading an already compiled version of registercodec and dshowserver (i I downloaded "dshowserver-ia32-r46.tar.bz2")
You can find the latest versions @ http://code.google.com/p/coreavc-for-linux/downloads/list (http://code.google.com/p/coreavc-for-linux/downloads/list).

Ps: Do not try to downgrade gcc-4.4 to gcc-4.3 or gcc-4.2. I already tried this way, but without results...

_El_Chojin_
December 11th, 2009, 11:54 PM
Well, I had the same problem, i run Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic with gcc-4.4.1, i think the problem is attributable to gcc .....
I solved by downloading an already compiled version of registercodec and dshowserver (i I downloaded "dshowserver-ia32-r46.tar.bz2")
You can find the latest versions @ http://code.google.com/p/coreavc-for-linux/downloads/list (http://code.google.com/p/coreavc-for-linux/downloads/list).

Ps: Do not try to downgrade gcc-4.4 to gcc-4.3 or gcc-4.2. I already tried this way, but without results...
I have downloaded dshowserver from that website but when i use:

I continue having the same error, we need to recompile something?

Bachstelze
December 11th, 2009, 11:58 PM
I have downloaded dshowserver from that website but when i use:

I continue having the same error, we need to recompile something?

I have given up on searching the cause of this bug. If someone with more C knowledge than me wants to look it up...

GraceDivine
December 12th, 2009, 09:18 PM
Last night, I successfully compiled Mplayer using this guide, but on Ubuntu 9.04.
I used an older version of Dshowserver and Registercodec, and CoreAVC 1.9.5.
So it would seem that a major compilation issue exists with Karmic and GCC.
I'm not going to start a heated debate over what is better: 9.04 or 9.10, but since I like mplayer so much and it works well on 9.04, I'll stick with it for the time being.
Hopefully, GCC will be fixed on 9.10 soon, if not by 10.04.

Bachstelze
December 12th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Last night, I successfully compiled Mplayer using this guide, but on Ubuntu 9.04.
I used an older version of Dshowserver and Registercodec, and CoreAVC 1.9.5.

Do you mean it worked even in the "test" phase? If that's the case, can you please post the output of

gcc -v

on your Jaunty system? packages.ubuntu.com is down at the moment so I can't check which version of GCC Jaunty uses, but it's very possible that it's one of the numerous problems introduced by GCC 4.4.

ripps818
December 13th, 2009, 01:28 AM
The dshowserver+registercodec package I built in my coreavc ppa seems to work in Karmic. I've used a couple patches on it.
It gives me an error when I run a test from commandline, but it seems to still work fine with the mplayer in rvm's ppa.

https://edge.launchpad.net/~ripps818/+archive/coreavc
https://edge.launchpad.net/~rvm/+archive/mplayer

sanktnelson
December 15th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Hi all,

I also get the the
"dshowserver: malloc.c:3074" error, and this is with the prebuilt packages from ripps ppa on 32-bit karmic. This used to work fine until maybe a few days ago, don't know what the exact timing was. I also tried some older versions of the packages from both the ppas, no luck. Any advice?

sanktnelson
December 15th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Oh well, all the .debs failed for me, but I finally went and downloaded the prebuilt dshowserver from upstream at:

http://coreavc-for-linux.googlecode.com/files/dshowserver-ia32-r46.tar.bz2

(as previously mentioned in this thread) and copied it over /usr/bin/dshowserver, and everything works fine again.

Still, would be nice if the packages worked...

Bachstelze
December 15th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Oh well, all the .debs failed for me, but I finally went and downloaded the prebuilt dshowserver from upstream at:

http://coreavc-for-linux.googlecode.com/files/dshowserver-ia32-r46.tar.bz2

(as previously mentioned in this thread) and copied it over /usr/bin/dshowserver, and everything works fine again.

Still, would be nice if the packages worked...

Can you read MP4 or FLV files with it? This was the reason why the last patch was included, which broke the dshowserver "test".

GraceDivine
December 16th, 2009, 02:39 AM
@Bachstelze (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=51114)

Here is the output from gcc -v:
Using built-in specs.
Target: x86_64-linux-gnu
Configured with: ../src/configure -v --with-pkgversion='Ubuntu 4.3.3-5ubuntu4' --with-bugurl=file:///usr/share/doc/gcc-4.3/README.Bugs --enable-languages=c,c++,fortran,objc,obj-c++ --prefix=/usr --enable-shared --with-system-zlib --libexecdir=/usr/lib --without-included-gettext --enable-threads=posix --enable-nls --with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/include/c++/4.3 --program-suffix=-4.3 --enable-clocale=gnu --enable-libstdcxx-debug --enable-objc-gc --enable-mpfr --with-tune=generic --enable-checking=release --build=x86_64-linux-gnu --host=x86_64-linux-gnu --target=x86_64-linux-gnu
Thread model: posix
gcc version 4.3.3 (Ubuntu 4.3.3-5ubuntu4)

Yes, the older dshowserver and registercodec worked even in test phase. Then again, I'm using Ubuntu 9.04.

jbernardo
December 16th, 2009, 07:42 AM
Guys, to have it working with gcc 4.4.1 in karmic, "all" I had to do was to add the line CFLAGS+=-fno-strict-aliasing to the directshowserver Makefile (after the other CFLAGS lines), and pass "--extra-cflags=-fno-strict-aliasing" to mplayer's configure. And now coreserv works!

Sölve
December 18th, 2009, 11:45 PM
Okay. When I try to patch DShowServer with this command:

cd coreavc-for-linux
wget -qO - http://paste.ubuntu.com/327178/plain/ | patch -p0It gives me:

patch: **** Only garbage was found in the patch input.I have Ubuntu 9.10 32 bits and newest versions mplayer and DShowServer from SVN. What can I do?

//EDIT:

I solved my problem by copying the patch to another location on the network.

Master One
December 19th, 2009, 12:02 PM
Guys, to have it working with gcc 4.4.1 in karmic, "all" I had to do was to add the line CFLAGS+=-fno-strict-aliasing to the directshowserver Makefile (after the other CFLAGS lines), and pass "--extra-cflags=-fno-strict-aliasing" to mplayer's configure. And now coreserv works!
Thanks for that hint, I am just updating my installation, and added the "-fno-strict-aliasing" to stick with gcc 4.4.1. The dshowserver test still gives that malloc, but I guess that does not matter, as long is it is nevertheless working. I am now recompiling mplayer and then smplayer, which may take some time on my Atom machines...

BTW They changed something on http://paste.ubuntu.com which requires to login first, so fetching the patches with wget does not work any more (just open the link to paste.ubuntu.com in a browser, and save the shown plaintext manually).

Bachstelze, although the dshowserver-patch adds the h264 & H264 idents and fixes the problem with the mentioned files from youtube, I found another files there, which are causing the same problem. How to find out, what "idents" else are used in such files, to add them to the patch?

Another problem I discovered recently: My DualCore Atom 330 machine generally is powerful enough, to play all AVC 720p content using CoreAVC, nevertheless I now have some files, which are causing strange problems. Either there are partial picture distortions all the time, or the picture is not in a smooth flow, but is sometimes jerking instead, and kind of looses track in a way, that at first it looks fine, then it starts jerking and ends up with picture distortion, which go away, if I skip back and forward, but come back after a short time, making the whole file unwatchable. No idea, what's behind this, especially since most files play just fine, other don't, although they are of equal parameters (same resolution, bitrate, fps). It definitely is not a limit in CPU power, as all 4 cpus (dualcore with hyperthreading) stay way below 80% all the time. Changing settings in smplayer (like caching, threads for decoding) did not help either. Any hint?

Sölve
December 19th, 2009, 03:29 PM
Please paste the log from the console, which will be showed when you play this file.

Bachstelze
December 19th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Bachstelze, although the dshowserver-patch adds the h264 & H264 idents and fixes the problem with the mentioned files from youtube, I found another files there, which are causing the same problem. How to find out, what "idents" else are used in such files, to add them to the patch?

What Sölve said: paste the MPlayer output.

Another problem I discovered recently: My DualCore Atom 330 machine generally is powerful enough, to play all AVC 720p content using CoreAVC, nevertheless I now have some files, which are causing strange problems. Either there are partial picture distortions all the time, or the picture is not in a smooth flow, but is sometimes jerking instead, and kind of looses track in a way, that at first it looks fine, then it starts jerking and ends up with picture distortion, which go away, if I skip back and forward, but come back after a short time, making the whole file unwatchable. No idea, what's behind this, especially since most files play just fine, other don't, although they are of equal parameters (same resolution, bitrate, fps). It definitely is not a limit in CPU power, as all 4 cpus (dualcore with hyperthreading) stay way below 80% all the time. Changing settings in smplayer (like caching, threads for decoding) did not help either. Any hint?

All AVC steams are not equal in terms of processing power needed for decoding. Some encoding parameter (high number of reference frames, high bitrate, weighted P and/or B-frames, etc.) can increase the needed processing power dramativally, even if the resolution is kept constant.

wiiaboo
December 19th, 2009, 10:29 PM
As anyone tried to see if the new CoreAVC 2.0 works out-of-the-box with patched builds of Mplayer?

Bachstelze
December 19th, 2009, 10:34 PM
As anyone tried to see if the new CoreAVC 2.0 works out-of-the-box with patched builds of Mplayer?

Not me, they don't have a trial version up yet.

wiiaboo
December 20th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Also, Bachstelze, could you make a patch against mplayer-build.git (http://repo.or.cz/w/mplayer-build.git) or maybe even mplayer.git (http://repo.or.cz/w/mplayer.git) (the latter is linked to the former)? It's the most developed version of mplayer, with latest libass support, matroska editions, ordered chapters et al.

Or if it's the same as the latest patch, could you maybe give detailed instructions on how to compile with coreavc support? I got a free upgrade because I bought CoreAVC in the last 60 days, and I wanted to try and see if it works.

Bachstelze
December 20th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Also, Bachstelze, could you make a patch against mplayer-build.git (http://repo.or.cz/w/mplayer-build.git) or maybe even mplayer.git (http://repo.or.cz/w/mplayer.git) (the latter is linked to the former)? It's the most developed version of mplayer, with latest libass support, matroska editions, ordered chapters et al.

Or if it's the same as the latest patch, could you maybe give detailed instructions on how to compile with coreavc support? I got a free upgrade because I bought CoreAVC in the last 60 days, and I wanted to try and see if it works.

It should be the same, really. Just use git instead of svn to get the mplayer source, and try to patch them. If it doesn't work, report back, and I'll see what I can do.

wiiaboo
December 20th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Patching Mplayer failed with vd.c.

vd.c.ref (http://paste.ubuntu.com/343996/)

wiiaboo
December 20th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Compiling now.
Here's the git diff (http://paste.ubuntu.com/343997/).

Bachstelze
December 20th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Aye, this was already asked a while ago:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1034075&page=13#122

wiiaboo
December 20th, 2009, 11:24 PM
So it compiled like a charm, but turns out the registry information is different and even after changing the value like it shows in regedit.exe, it still doesn't recognize the key. Maybe it's some problem with CoreAVC itself?

The changes I can see by regedit are:
"CoreAVC Pro" => "CoreAVC Pro 2.x"
and
"User" entry has to be specified now, as the serials are tied to it

Opening device
MSGBOX 'Serial Number Missing!' 'CoreAVC Professional Edition' (327680)

Tried with:

registercodec -r ~/.mplayer/registry32 -k "HKLM\\Software\\CoreCodec\\CoreAVC Pro 2.x\\Serial" -v "XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX"
and

registercodec -r ~/.mplayer/registry32 -k "HKLM\\Software\\CoreCodec\\CoreAVC Pro 2.x\\User" -v "wiiaboo@email.org"
but still didn't work.

wiiaboo
December 21st, 2009, 12:26 AM
Sorry, double post.

ripps818
December 21st, 2009, 01:48 PM
I can't get coreavc 2.0 to work either.
When I try to run it in mplayer, I get "Called unk_GetModuleHandleW" repeatedly.

gtdaqua
December 22nd, 2009, 09:20 AM
I can't get coreavc 2.0 to work either.
When I try to run it in mplayer, I get "Called unk_GetModuleHandleW" repeatedly.

Same here. Tried various steps for several hours and still couldn't get CoreAVC 2.0 to work.

Edit: Finally Got it working! I did not apply the patch for dshowserver. Just checkedout the coreavc-for-linux and did a 'make' inside the dshowserver folder. The patch messes with the dshowserver. Don't apply the patch. Just 'make' it straight and copy the file to /usr/local/bin.

If you want GUI working, then use the --enable-gui switch when executing configure.

And .TS containers (x264) work with -demuxer lavf switch along with mplayer.

Master One
December 22nd, 2009, 05:39 PM
Same here. Tried various steps for several hours and still couldn't get CoreAVC 2.0 to work.

Edit: Finally Got it working! I did not apply the patch for dshowserver. Just checkedout the coreavc-for-linux and did a 'make' inside the dshowserver folder. The patch messes with the dshowserver. Don't apply the patch. Just 'make' it straight and copy the file to /usr/local/bin.

If you want GUI working, then use the --enable-gui switch when executing configure.

And .TS containers (x264) work with -demuxer lavf switch along with mplayer.
Can you explain that in detail please?

The patch for the dshowserver only adds the "h264" and "H264" IDs, so I do not see how this can be related to the CoreAVC 2.0 update.

If one has a working setup with CoreAVC 1.9.5, what's the update process for using CoreAVC 2.0.0? Just copy the new CoreAVCDecoder.ax over, and then what registercodec command?

Master One
December 22nd, 2009, 06:19 PM
Ok, note to myself: An Atom 330 machine is definitely powerful enough to handle any AVC 720p content, none of the 4 recognized CPUs ever maxes out, whatever I tried, they stayed between 50 and 80% at all times, even when the mentioned problems occured.

The second problem with picture not staying a smooth flow followed by jerking and loosing track could be solved by switching the audio device from "Pulse" back to "OSS". There seem to some serious problems with Pulse audio.

The first problem with partial picture distortions all the time (but only with certain files, others play just fine) is still there, so this has to be something else, which I was hoping the upgrade to CoreAVC 2.0.0 would fix. There are no errors in the mplayer log when these distortions show up. To show you what I mean, I have added two pictures. The first shows such typical partial picture distortions, which appear in one frameset, and a second later (next frameset) they are gone again. I don't really have a clue, how to explain this any better, but I guess it has something to do with A, B, and I-frames and decoding errors. I have tested such a problematic file on two different machines with this Ubuntu 9.10 and this CoreAVC MPlayer setup, as well as an old laptop with WinXP and MediaPlayerClassic + CoreAVC 1.9.5 installed, with exactly the same result. These distortions are not random, if the same file is played multiple times, the same distortions appear in exactly the same places every time. So this pretty much comes down to the chance, that there is something wrong with CoreCodec 1.9.5, which is why I am very much interested in upgrading to CoreAVC 2.0.0.

wiiaboo
December 23rd, 2009, 12:47 AM
I'm guessing (just guessing) that those corruptions are caused by bad decoding of WeightP enabled encodes by CoreAVC 1.9.5. It is solved in 2.0. Thus why I installed it.

Gonna try not patching dshowserver like gtdaqua said.

wiiaboo
December 23rd, 2009, 01:45 AM
Guess not.

Failed with the same error:

Opening device
MSGBOX 'Serial Number Missing!' 'CoreAVC Professional Edition' (327680)

trapperjohn
December 23rd, 2009, 12:48 PM
Ok, note to myself: An Atom 330 machine is definitely powerful enough to handle any AVC 720p content, none of the 4 recognized CPUs ever maxes out, whatever I tried, they stayed between 50 and 80% at all times, even when the mentioned problems occured.

I have the same problem - though it only happened on one movie so far when using CoreAVC (1.9.5).

Did you try mplayer-mt (mplayer with multithreaded ffmpeg)? Might be sufficient on your system. On my Atom N270 it's nearly as fast as CoreAVC when playing 720p MKVs and it had no problem with the mentioned movie file. It's definitely a lot faster than the standard mplayer - even on my single core (but hyperthreaded) Atom.

Just add the repos from here
https://launchpad.net/~rvm/+archive/testing
and here
https://launchpad.net/~rvm/+archive/libs
and install it via apt.

wiiaboo
December 23rd, 2009, 01:20 PM
Can your Atom N270 run live-action 720p smoothly, with mplayer-mt?

Master One
December 23rd, 2009, 09:08 PM
Just tried it with CoreAVC 2.0.0, but I get the same result as already mentioned here:
Opening device
Called unk_GetModuleHandleW
DirectShow filter failedVDecoder init failed :(
If the upgrade from 1.9.5 to 2.0.0 can not just be done by exchanging CoreAVCDecoder.ax and adding the new Serial & User lines with registercodec, I guess a new version of coreavc-for-linux is needed? Just tried "svn update", but it's still "Revision 82."

If that's the case, I really wonder, what gtdaqua has done, as he claims to have solved this problem. The dhshowserver patch really just can't be the issue.

I was so much hoping to be able to try 2.0.0 asap, because I have a few shows having these distortion problems, making it unwatchable, so I can't wait to continue watching... ;)

wiiaboo
December 24th, 2009, 03:29 AM
betaboy from CoreCodec also says he's received 2 reports of CoreAVC working on Linux.

Still nothing here on my side, unfortunately, even after not patching dshowserver.

Master One
December 24th, 2009, 10:15 AM
betaboy from CoreCodec also says he's received 2 reports of CoreAVC working on Linux.
So now we just need to know, how it's done.

Still nothing here on my side, unfortunately, even after not patching dshowserver.
As seen from your mplayer log-snippet, you are stuck at a completely different point, I guess something went wrong when you tried to add the new data with registercodec. You may want to remove your old registry32 file, and try again, but then it will lead to "Called unk_GetModuleHandleW" for sure.

As already mentioned, the dshowserver patch can not have anything to do with this issue, because it does not change anything essential for handling CoreAVCDecoder.ax, but only adds the "h264" & "H264" idents, so that these crappy mp4 files from youtube play at all.

I did not try mplayer-mt yet (never heard about that version before), if it is able to play all kind of AVC 720p files even on an Atom N270, it may be an option, but I'd still prefer to use CoreAVC, since there is no doubt, that it is easier on CPU resources (it's not only about playback, but also the files coming over the network from a SMB share).

trapperjohn
December 24th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Can your Atom N270 run live-action 720p smoothly, with mplayer-mt?

What do you mean with "live-action"?

For 720p movies, it depends. mplayer-mt is still a bit slower than CoreAVC and some movies with a high bitrate won't even play smooth using CoreAVC on my Atom N270. But it's a minority and only a few scenes have such a high bitrate.

But I think on a dual-core Atom 330, these issues should be gone.

edit: This is my mplayer-mt commandline

mplayer-mt -subfont-text-scale 3 -ao alsa:device=iec958 -ac hwdts,hwac3, -cache 8192 -vo xv -lavdopts threads=2:skiploopfilter=all:fast=1

I am no professional when it's about mplayer options - these are just the ones which worked best for me. Mplayer is running on an Eee Box connected to a HD TV, optical audio out, DTS/AC3 passthrough

wiiaboo
December 24th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Live-action as in not-animation. Animation can run almost completely smooth because of the lack action compared to real-life movies, even on ffmpeg-mt.

But any real-life movie you open gets out of sync once in a few half minutes, it's kinda annoying.

Talix
December 25th, 2009, 03:25 AM
Okay. When I try to patch DShowServer with this command:

cd coreavc-for-linux
wget -qO - http://paste.ubuntu.com/327178/plain/ | patch -p0It gives me:

patch: **** Only garbage was found in the patch input.I have Ubuntu 9.10 32 bits and newest versions mplayer and DShowServer from SVN. What can I do?

//EDIT:

I solved my problem by copying the patch to another location on the network.

Hi all, I have the exact same issue, however, his solution doesn't help me as I have no idea on how to accomplish even saving the patch...

Sölve
December 25th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Try with this command:

wget -qO - http://wklej.org/id/246249/txt | patch -p0

Talix
December 25th, 2009, 05:08 PM
Try with this command:

wget -qO - http://wklej.org/id/246249/txt | patch -p0
ooooh, that did the job :D

thanks a lot

Talix
December 25th, 2009, 07:04 PM
noooooo, now I get the same message with the other patch command.... the
wget http://paste.ubuntu.com/197237/plain/ -qO - | patch -p0Is there another place for finding this too? How do you find these "mirrors"?

EDIT: ooops, sry for doublepost :s

Sölve
December 25th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Catch:

wget http://wklej.org/id/246538/txt (http://paste.ubuntu.com/197237/plain/) -qO - | patch -p0You can copy the text of the patch (from paste.ubuntu.com) in a different place (with clear text output).

Bachstelze
December 25th, 2009, 09:37 PM
Guide updated with patches on pastebin.com.

Talix
December 26th, 2009, 02:41 AM
Guide updated with patches on pastebin.com.
Nice of you to add the fix such a critical source of error it after I waited 24 hours -.-

Nah, just kiddin' :D Anyone know why the original patch is "garbage"?

Bachstelze
December 26th, 2009, 02:46 AM
Nice of you to add the fix such a critical source of error it after I waited 24 hours -.-

Nah, just kiddin' :D Anyone know why the original patch is "garbage"?

It's because the Ubuntu pastebin decided it requires people to login now, so when you tried to download the text with wget, you got a nice error message instead, which patch obviously didn't understand.