PDA

View Full Version : What version of Firefox are you using?

aysiu
December 14th, 2005, 08:24 AM
In light of anxiousness about the backporting of the new Firefox 1.5, I'm just curious as to the community's rate of adoption...

tom-ubuntu
December 14th, 2005, 09:08 AM
A v1.5 backport would be awesome. I don't want to 'mess' with this installation; just using packages from the repos.

donar73
December 14th, 2005, 10:57 AM
FF 1.5, installed following this (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FirefoxNewVersion) HowTo. Works great! :)

Perfect Storm
December 14th, 2005, 11:06 AM
None. I'm a epiphany user.

fuscia
December 14th, 2005, 11:48 AM
i use 1.5. my favorite theme, blackjapan, is only made for 1.5. also, i can't stand the old preference window.

jc87
December 14th, 2005, 12:27 PM
Still waiting for 1.5 in the repos , for me there are only two ways of doing things :

A)The apt-get way

B)The wrong way

ow50
December 14th, 2005, 12:40 PM
1.0.7 from the official repository.

As I use the Epiphany GUI to the Firefox Gecko, I need to install it properly (with apt). I tried backporting earlier, but Blam and Devhelp broke. I'll wait a while before trying again. At least Blam needs to be patched before it works with 1.5.

Zotova
December 14th, 2005, 12:42 PM
Still waiting for 1.5 in the repos , for me there are only two ways of doing things :

A)The apt-get way

B)The wrong way

I'd have to disagree.

Why are Linux users so afraid of installing a program which isn't available via apt-get? Windows, Firefox 1.5 is out you just go to the site and download the latest exe.

I understand people don't want to break their system, but whilst I am quite happy using Ubuntu it actually makes me question how good Ubuntu is when updating a simple program like Firefox can break the system if done incorrectly. Surely that is just bad design - that doesn't happen in xp (or at least it didn't happen to me in the 2 or so years I used it and I installed and uninstalled a heck of a lot of programs on it).

I'd have to say comparing to your A/B example:

A) The insecure, buggy, outdated way - Windows anyone?
B) The secure, safe, up-to-date way.

@ jc87 - This is not intended to be a personal attack on yourself, this is aimed at Linux users in general who have the same views as yourself.

Nor is this post intended as a "Hey, Linux is crap" flame, just general questions about the attitude people seem to have of prefering to use old and buggy software (which 1.07 was!).

x__dark
December 14th, 2005, 12:42 PM
I'm using 1.0.7 again, Firefox 1.5 was crashing every 10 minutes or so and it became a hassle.

Jormundgand
December 14th, 2005, 02:03 PM
I'm using 1.0.7 because I was sick of the lack of sound in Flash movies. (Mind you, the freeze-on-inline-box bug in 1.0.7 is also annoying, mostly because nobody's given it so much as a glance and it's been around since at least the days of Hoary.)

endersshadow
December 14th, 2005, 02:22 PM
I've heard lots of reports of 1.5 being rather buggy in Linux. I was going to wait until 1.5.2 or so until they fixed them (bookmarks going away, not functioning, crashing, etc.). I'm not scared of installing it, I just want a browser that works correctly. Right now, for me, that's 1.0.7.

Efwis
December 14th, 2005, 02:29 PM
i use 1.07,

I won't upgrade until one of two things happen
it's in the repos for Breezy

It comes with Dapper.

i'm still fairly new to Linux, yes I'm comfortable installing non-repo programs, however with the dependicies that require FF 1.07 on Breezy I'm just not going to do it. I just don't see a need for two browsers on linux, especially when my windows install of 1.5 works just as well as 1.07 on Ubuntu does for my needs.

Yes I would like to have 1.5 on here, but I'm not going to bother with the hassles of installing, making it work with totem, and hope for no issues. It would be better IMO to wait for 1.5 to be available via the repos or new distro release. Although from the sounds of it, there won't be a backport for it on Breezy, so point 1 above may be moot

Kvark
December 14th, 2005, 02:33 PM
I use whatever version is in the repos and hope that eventually they'll manage to backport the new version.

Why are Linux users so afraid of installing a program which isn't available via apt-get? Windows, Firefox 1.5 is out you just go to the site and download the latest exe.
Different users probably have different reasons for using only the repos. Personally I think that to actually search for software on websites, download it and then manually install it is just too much work. To manually check for new versions and update software is also too much work. So if it's not in the repos then I'm not going to bother with it.

Why is it too much work to manually download programs in Linux when it's just fine in Windows? I think it's too much work in Windows too, thats one of the reasons I'm not using Windows.

ember
December 14th, 2005, 02:47 PM
I stick with 1.0.7. - there are just too much extensions which probably will need at least some love, before they run with 1.5. Additionally I see no benefit of using 1.5. for me at the moment (at slightly increased speed is not an argument for me).

jc87
December 14th, 2005, 03:10 PM
I'd have to disagree.

I understand people don't want to break their system, but whilst I am quite happy using Ubuntu it actually makes me question how good Ubuntu is when updating a simple program like Firefox can break the system if done incorrectly. Surely that is just bad design - that doesn't happen in xp (or at least it didn't happen to me in the 2 or so years I used it and I installed and uninstalled a heck of a lot of programs on it).

I'd have to say comparing to your A/B example:

A) The insecure, buggy, outdated way - Windows anyone?
B) The secure, safe, up-to-date way.

@ jc87 - This is not intended to be a personal attack on yourself, this is aimed at Linux users in general who have the same views as yourself.

Nor is this post intended as a "Hey, Linux is crap" flame, just general questions about the attitude people seem to have of prefering to use old and buggy software (which 1.07 was!).

What i wanted to say was :

For me apt-get is "the only way" of installing software .

I´m too lazy to follow the wiki steps only to have 1.5 installed , and usually , between downloading a deb , and adding a repositorie , i choose the repository .

Doing software installations manually bring me back some bad memories , or worst , windows memories.

LinuxSwede
December 14th, 2005, 03:25 PM
1.5 is the main reason that i'm not using epiphany or konqueror instead of Firefox, it's fast and i have yet to discover a bug that affects me.

Actually, i installed 1.5RC1 when i was using Breezy, moved over to Dapper since Breezy was horrid, later installed RC2 and finally when RC3 was available in the repos, i upgraded the old 1.07 to that. (RC3 later became final)

I suggest that those who do not wish to remove 1.07 follow the steps to install the new firefox but instead of removing the symlink create new shortcuts and try it out, it's that much better.

Arktis
December 14th, 2005, 03:32 PM
Still waiting on backports. Just sheer stubbornness really.

Knomefan
December 14th, 2005, 03:38 PM

Well, the problem is that Firefox is not just a simple program on Ubuntu. Many other programs use its gecko rendering engine and updating to FF1.5 could break these programs.

However, as FF is really easy to install by simply unpacking an archive (you can even do it in you home directory, no need to mess with the system), I don't really see a problem with installing the new version.

endersshadow
December 14th, 2005, 04:10 PM
Still waiting on backports. Just sheer stubbornness really.

Hate to break it to you, hombre, but it's not going to happen.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=566619&postcount=75

BWF89
December 14th, 2005, 04:48 PM
Firefox 1.5

angrykeyboarder
December 14th, 2005, 05:58 PM

A)The apt-get way

B)The wrong way

So the aptitude way is "wrong" then too eh? ;-)

LinuxSwede
December 14th, 2005, 06:04 PM
Well, the problem is that Firefox is not just a simple program on Ubuntu. Many other programs use its gecko rendering engine and updating to FF1.5 could break these programs.

However, as FF is really easy to install by simply unpacking an archive (you can even do it in you home directory, no need to mess with the system), I don't really see a problem with installing the new version.

This man speaks of the truth.

Do it as it's done in the earlier post mentioned, you won't REPLACE your original FF, you'll just be using the newer one until the old one gets replaced.

I suspect the bookmarks issues refers to using them both, you COULD solve this quite easily too but simply upgrading when the time comes and before you remove your extra-install you transfer the bookmarks.

angrykeyboarder
December 14th, 2005, 06:36 PM
A v1.5 backport would be awesome. I don't want to 'mess' with this installation; just using packages from the repos.

You can install any software you want and not "mess" with your Ubuntu installation.

Until I saw the howto mentioned in this thread I had installed Firefox in my home directory. I have a "~/bin" directory just for stuff like this.

You can screw it up royally and it won't effect anything installed from a .deb package (as long as you don't use "sudo" in any entry related to it (which there is no reason to).

angrykeyboarder
December 14th, 2005, 06:38 PM
In light of anxiousness about the backporting of the new Firefox 1.5, I'm just curious as to the community's rate of adoption...

I won't wait months for it to be (or not to be) backported or for Dapper. That's nonsense.

I downloaded it from Mozilla and installed it locally.

Orunitia
December 14th, 2005, 06:41 PM
I'm using Opera.

aysiu
December 14th, 2005, 07:12 PM
FF 1.5, installed following this (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FirefoxNewVersion) HowTo. Works great! :) I followed that HowTo and all of a sudden my Flash stopped working. As a matter of fact, I haven't been able to get Flash working in Firefox 1.5 in Linux, Mac OS X, or Windows!

The HowTo worked great for removing 1.5, though.

Miguel
December 14th, 2005, 07:18 PM
1.5 here

It is snappier than the Ubuntu one... but it crashes more often. I personally have no problem with either flash or java, but that could be because the plugins are user-installed, and so are at mi ~/.mozilla (or whatever).

I see someone put a link to why FF1.5 won't be backported. You have all this explained by Jdong itself at this week's distrowatch weekly (at www.distrowatch.org ).

angrykeyboarder
December 14th, 2005, 09:07 PM
I'm using Opera.

Tsk Tsk. Unlike Firefox, Opera is not free software. You could end up in hell for that. ;-)

Efwis
December 14th, 2005, 09:14 PM
Tsk Tsk. Unlike Firefox, Opera is not free software. You could end up in hell for that. ;-)
Actually as of Opera 8.5 it is free, they completely dropped their paid for desktop version iirc.

haocheng
December 15th, 2005, 01:08 AM
I'm using FF 1.07 from Ubuntu now,
and it is really SLOW!

If it's so hard to backport FF 1.5,
I guess I need to install it by myself...

angkor
December 15th, 2005, 01:24 AM
1.5 since yesterday. Must say I'm impressed with the speed increase.

angkor
December 15th, 2005, 01:27 AM
Actually as of Opera 8.5 it is free, they completely dropped their paid for desktop version iirc.

free as in freedom, not as in beer...;)

Arktis
December 15th, 2005, 02:50 PM
Hate to break it to you, hombre, but it's not going to happen.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=566619&postcount=75

Phooey. After reading this, I finally broke down and installed 1.5. Thanks, I suppose. :rolleyes:

towsonu2003
December 15th, 2005, 06:38 PM
Don't want to start a flamewar-

it seems 1.5 mozilla-style is as buggy as 1.0.7 ubuntu-style (though different bugs)... Yep, I know, it's a baby for now :P

majikstreet
December 15th, 2005, 08:00 PM
Fiafox 1.5 babie! (Firefox 1.5)

curtis
December 15th, 2005, 09:27 PM
I am using Firefox 1.5 here, quite a bit faster really.

Curlydave
December 15th, 2005, 09:30 PM
I'm using FF 1.07 from Ubuntu now,
and it is really SLOW!

If it's so hard to backport FF 1.5,
I guess I need to install it by myself...

Which is extremely easy. Just download it from the Mozilla website, extract it somewhere on your HD, and run the Firefox sh script.

ubuntu_demon
December 16th, 2005, 03:01 PM

Will stay on 1.0.7 for a while (at least until 1.5 gets better)

Rackerz
December 16th, 2005, 03:50 PM
I'm using Firefox 1.5. I don't seem to get all the trouble and hassle others get, maybe because i didn't use the previous 1.0.7. It works great for me! However, I'd like to see a backport.

angrykeyboarder
December 16th, 2005, 05:00 PM
Welcome to the Open Source world where "free" implies (above all else) Open Source....

angrykeyboarder
December 16th, 2005, 05:01 PM

Will stay on 1.0.7 for a while (at least until 1.5 gets better)
What's wrong with 1.5? I find it "better" than 1.0.7.

poofyhairguy
December 21st, 2005, 05:51 AM
Is there a 64 bit version of 1.5 somewhere to install? Till then I hold out.