PDA

View Full Version : Best Linux games?

yeaibet5286
January 7th, 2009, 11:02 PM
New to Ubuntu and was wondering what are some great games for this awesome OS?

Kosimo
January 7th, 2009, 11:15 PM
New to Ubuntu and was wondering what are some great games for this awesome OS?
If you like FPS...
You can enjoy Unreal Tournament 2004... I'm playing it natively and it's amazing :)

You can also give it a try to Quake 4 and Quake Wars (Enemy Territory)

All those games have a Linux native version. Give them a try ;)

Make sure you have your video drivers activated

UanarchyK
January 7th, 2009, 11:17 PM
This question has been asked a ton, so a search would probably give you more than enough information. But personally I'd recommend Urban Terror (it's free and cross-platform) for a online FPS experience. Battle for Wesnoth is deceptively fun little game, too.

binbash
January 7th, 2009, 11:27 PM
this is talked a lot under gaming forum

Paqman
January 7th, 2009, 11:28 PM
There's not a lot to be had apart from a few mediocre FPS games IMO. Battle for Wesnoth is awesome though, there's always plenty of folks online to play against and the offline campaigns are great.

Ancalagon82
January 7th, 2009, 11:32 PM
I was wondering if it would be possible to run abandonedware Ultima VI on an Ubuntu system? I'm new to the system, but I've heard DosBox works, no? If so, will there be any problems?

yeaibet5286
January 7th, 2009, 11:35 PM
I wasn't asking just so I could find some games to play, I want to see what some of you feel is your personal favorite or best game.

Paqman
January 7th, 2009, 11:41 PM
I've heard DosBox works, no?

Yep, works very well in fact. It's in the repos.

Ancalagon82
January 7th, 2009, 11:44 PM
Yep, works very well in fact.

Cool, thanks!

Will I have to code anything to get an old game like that to work? Or just click on DosBox and run it through there?

It's in the repos.

'repos' Que? ;)

Sorry, new to Linuxland, haven't picked up the dialect!

gletob
January 8th, 2009, 12:11 AM
repos is short for repositories.

The repositories that he refers to is a big list of souftware packages to install items from these reposotories simply got to system>Administration>Synaptic Package Manager from there you can install hundred of different programs including dosbox

P.S. you can also go to Applications>Add/Remove Programs

ballison
January 8th, 2009, 12:11 AM
warsow (http://www.warsow.net) is a FPS played by certain niche of quake pros and (because its free) beginners too.
open source i think?
and on linux + windows
alot cooler than quake ^^ but im pretty sucky at it

Paqman
January 8th, 2009, 12:38 AM
Cool, thanks!

Will I have to code anything to get an old game like that to work? Or just click on DosBox and run it through there?

If it's a DOS game then DOSBox should run it quite happily. The only thing you have to do is mount the folder containing your games as a drive in DOSBox, but you can set up a config file that does this automatically when you start DOSBox. The DosBox site has info on how to do this, it's fairly straightforward.

'repos' Que? ;)

Sorry, new to Linuxland, haven't picked up the dialect!

Yeah, sorry: repositories. The repos are where the likes of Synaptic and Add/remove get their packages from. So if something is "in the repos" then it's available to download straight away from Add/Remove or Synaptic.

Ancalagon82
January 8th, 2009, 12:40 AM
If it's a DOS game then DOSBox should run it quite happily. The only thing you have to do is mount the folder containing your games as a drive in DOSBox, but you can set up a config file that does this automatically when you start DOSBox. The DosBox site has info on how to do this, it's fairly straightforward.

I'm guessing mounting=saving?

Yeah, sorry: repositories. The repos are where the likes of Synaptic and Add/remove get their packages from. So if something is "in the repos" then it's available to download straight away from Add/Remove or Synaptic.

No problems! Glad for the info.

zmjjmz
January 8th, 2009, 01:04 AM

Nope.
Quick guide on that:
When you open DOSBox, you should get Z:>
Type this

mount c /path/to/downloaded/game
Then hit enter. /path/to/downloaded/game is the directory where you saved (and unzipped) the game. For example, I have a separate directory for all my DOS games, so I type

mount c ~/Games/DOS
and hit enter. ~ is an abbreviation for /home/$USER (where $USER is your username). Then you'd type c: to switch to the C drive, just like in the good ole' DOS days.

Anyways, there are a ton of great games for Linux. Here's a short list by genre (In my experience):
FPS:
OpenArena
Urban Terror (It wins a lot)
Nexuiz
EnemyLines3 (It will make you wtf)
BZFlag
Sauerbrauten
Assault Cube
Racing:
Super Tuxkart (kinda crappy tbh, but fun)
ManiaDrive
TORCS
Trigger
Racer
Ultimate Stunts
X-Moto
Flight:
FlightGear
GL-117
YSFlight
X-Plane (commercial)
RPG:
nethack (text based)
Dwarf Fortress
Misc:
Grid Wars 2 (not for people with epilepsy)
Teeworlds
OpenLieroX
Irrlamb (hard as hell)

Paqman
January 8th, 2009, 01:33 AM

Mounting is basically just make a resource available to an OS. For example, you might mount your folder of games as the famous c: drive that you'd recognise from Windows. So DOSBox would think that folder was an actual drive that it could access.

cardinals_fan
January 8th, 2009, 01:43 AM
My favorite is Shredder Chess online.

Otherwise, greed is absolutely awesome.

Murrquan
January 8th, 2009, 02:10 AM
I actually wrote an article about the "Best Linux games" just a few weeks ago!

"Free / Open-Source games will never be as good as commercial ones," my brothers told me, and were annoyed that I'd even suggested it. After all, how could "a bunch of minigames starring Tux the Penguin" compete with, say, Valve, creators of Portal and Team Fortress 2? Free Software games can't even be sold commercially; not when the source code has to be made available for free. The people who make them literally have to give them away.

But even though most Free / Open-Source games are just made by hobbyists, a number of them are surprisingly good! And while many of them suffer from poor production values, some of them really stand out, in their use of artwork and music in addition to excellent gameplay. Here, then, are some of the best Free Software games.

You can read the rest here: LINK (http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1308487/the_best_free_software_games.html?cat=19)

shatteredmindofbob
January 8th, 2009, 02:17 AM
This question has been asked a ton, so a search would probably give you more than enough information. But personally I'd recommend Urban Terror (it's free and cross-platform) for a online FPS experience. Battle for Wesnoth is deceptively fun little game, too.

Battle or Wesnoth is also my fav. Linux game

chucky chuckaluck
January 8th, 2009, 02:19 AM
xkill ftw.

zmjjmz
January 8th, 2009, 02:30 AM
I actually wrote an article about the "Best Linux games" just a few weeks ago!

You can read the rest here: LINK (http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1308487/the_best_free_software_games.html?cat=19)

Thanks for that. KoboDL is amazing.

Ancalagon82
January 8th, 2009, 02:39 AM
Nope.
Quick guide on that:
When you open DOSBox, you should get Z:>
Type this

mount c /path/to/downloaded/game
Then hit enter. /path/to/downloaded/game is the directory where you saved (and unzipped) the game. For example, I have a separate directory for all my DOS games, so I type

mount c ~/Games/DOS
and hit enter. ~ is an abbreviation for /home/$USER (where $USER is your username). Then you'd type c: to switch to the C drive, just like in the good ole' DOS days.

Mounting is basically just make a resource available to an OS. For example, you might mount your folder of games as the famous c: drive that you'd recognise from Windows. So DOSBox would think that folder was an actual drive that it could access.

Hey thanks guys!