PDA

View Full Version : boost linking problem

abacabus
January 7th, 2009, 10:41 PM
I recently installed Ubuntu 8.10, and are now programming (C++) using KDevelop. A project has been created that uses CMake for building the project. I installed boost using the Synaptic package manager.

In my program I use boost::mutex, and when building I get the error "undefined reference to 'boost::lock_error::lock_error()", clearly some boost lib is missing.
When I used boost libraries on Windows and Visual Studio, it linked the necessary lib files automatically due to #pragma directives in the boost headers. It seem not to work now for some reason.

So my question is, why does it not link automatically, and what can I do to make it link considering I am using CMake (there is a CMakeList.txt file with a TARGET_LINK_LIBRARIES entry where I added "libboost_thread", but that did not work either)?

Thanks in advance

dwhitney67
January 8th, 2009, 01:58 AM
Try linking with -lboost_thread-mt

If you are still having trouble, please post some code on how you are using boost::mutex. The easiest way I have found to use it is in conjunction with boost::scoped_lock.

For example:

#include <boost/thread/mutex.hpp>

class ThreadSafeObject
{
public:

void access()
{
boost::scoped_lock scopedLock(m_mutex);

// critical section
}

private:
boost::mutex m_mutex;
};

P.S. I never use an IDE to develop s/w. I use vim to create my source file(s) and Makefile.

jmartrican
January 8th, 2009, 04:44 AM
From my Makefile. I am ussing g++ and regular old make.

LIBS = -L/usr/lib/ -lpq -lpthread -L/usr/local/lib/ -lboost_system-gcc42-mt -L/usr/local/lib/ -lboost_thread-gcc42-mt -L/usr/local/lib/ -lboost_date_time-gcc42-mt

You probably only need: -L/usr/local/lib/ -lboost_thread-gcc42-mt
if compiling on g++.

abacabus
January 8th, 2009, 11:50 AM
The code I use is similar to the one you showed. I dropped KDevelop and use NetBeans instead (I am an IDE addict :-), and there I could easily add "libboost_thread" and it worked nice.

Still, why does it not link automatically?
I think that is a very nice feature with boost... (when it works)