PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] New System 76 driver

ewg
January 7th, 2009, 10:28 PM
Sysyem 76 Sable, 32 bit

I just noticed that System 76 driver 2.3 is available. I used to get the new drives from the update manager but that does not happen any more. I do have system 76 box checked in software sources, 3rd party software.

I did download the latest driver. Is it just a matter of running the deb package and following any directions/

Is there a way to know when new drivers are released?

Thanks,

thomasaaron
January 7th, 2009, 10:33 PM
I think they disabled automatic update notifications for the driver. I'm not sure why, but I'll look into it.

However, you can just install the .deb and then go to System > Admin > Sys76 Driver > Install Tab > Install Button, and you'll be good to go.

For right now, you just have to keep an eye out for new drivers.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Lee_Machine
January 8th, 2009, 07:18 AM
what was fixed/added in 2.3? The 2.3 driver changelog is not on the knowlege76 website yet.

thomasaaron
January 8th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Version 2.3.0

1. Reverse Direct Rendering w/ Suspend on fix daru3 (2.2.9) - fixed in Ubuntu
2. Add quirks=2 to uvcvideo load on gazu3 (fixes webcam)

...updated the wiki

Lee_Machine
January 8th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Thanks,

I was just mostly wondering about sound with the HDMI out on the panp4.
What's the word with the R&D guys? Just gonna wait till Jaunty?

crichell
January 8th, 2009, 07:44 PM
I was just mostly wondering about sound with the HDMI out on the panp4.
What's the word with the R&D guys? Just gonna wait till Jaunty?

As of now we are going to wait for Jaunty. Bringing down a new Alsa always tends to be messy. I think the majority of customers aren't using the functionality (Audio over HDMI). A script that easily installs the new Alsa may be a good interim solution.

asmiller-ke6seh
January 9th, 2009, 04:20 AM
We're still waiting for Webcam in the System 76 driver for Serp1 and Serp2. Any news, yet?

thomasaaron
January 9th, 2009, 05:54 AM
I'm sorry, but I've just not been able to get the webcam code for the SerP1 and SerP2 to compile on our shop computer. This makes me worry that, if we plug it into the System76 driver, it will not work on a lot of computers that are out there.

There is some new UVC code out there, though. Maybe it will compile better. I'll give it a try.

Lee_Machine
January 9th, 2009, 08:30 AM
As of now we are going to wait for Jaunty. Bringing down a new Alsa always tends to be messy. I think the majority of customers aren't using the functionality (Audio over HDMI). A script that easily installs the new Alsa may be a good interim solution.

Thanks, I'll have to burn a live-CD of Jaunty Alpha 1 and see if it works out of the box.

tcrapper
January 11th, 2009, 06:31 AM

I haven't gotten my laptop yet. But will this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=962695) script work to get HDMI working?

thomasaaron
January 12th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Judging from the posts following the script instructions, it's risky. It may work, but you're liable to break something else.

thomasaaron
January 12th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Possibly. But judging be the posts in that thread, you're liable to hose something else in the process.