PDA

View Full Version : How can I code applications with GUI in windows

iampriteshdesai
January 7th, 2009, 09:08 PM
I had C++ in this semester and I'd like to code my first app. We havent done GUI yet.Can anybody plz tell me how?
I use Codeblocks.
I'll code GTH later. School requires windows

Rocket2DMn
January 7th, 2009, 09:34 PM
Moved to Programming Talk.

Mr. Picklesworth
January 7th, 2009, 09:35 PM
You just need to utilize the appropriate API, just like with any other code thing :/
GUI stuff is abstracted to the point that you don't need to think about anything special. I forgot the particulars for Windows GUIs, except that they are horribly painful to make, which is why I yanked them from memory. (Granted, at the time I was working with the really lame API based on set coordinates instead of fluid layouts. I understand winforms in .Net received a bit more love. Never quite figured out if that love spread over to other APIs).

With GUIs, it is worth noting that everything is a window. The operating system (in our case with the X window system - similar deal in Windows) manages thousands of little windows that are essentially little areas that can be drawn on and which are set up to handle certain events (eg: mouse clicks). A button is a window, just handled by a different function / program from a text box or a toplevel window.
For some reason people occasionally teach this stuff as if every widget is a specific beast implemented from the bottom up, but at some (generally fairly nearby) level they all follow the same rules under the same technology.

It is possible to use GTK on Windows, or Qt or WXWidgets, if they'll let you. They're much more enjoyable to work with.
Otherwise, I believe WinForms is the one to look for.

Majorix
January 7th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Have a look at Visual C++ 2008. It comes with Visual Studio 2008.