PDA

View Full Version : cairo dock vs. AWN

waffleturd
January 7th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Which one of these has better affects and is easier to use?

Titan8990
January 7th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Its a preference thing. Try them both, one at a time, it won't hurt anything.

Simian Man
January 7th, 2009, 06:31 PM
I found them to be both a little disappointing - though hopefully they will get better.

Idefix82
January 7th, 2009, 06:32 PM
This is the 100th time this topic is posted. Why not google for it first?

birddog165
January 7th, 2009, 06:33 PM
I like AWN but once you add a application to the bar, you can't edit anything but the icon. Hopefully you make no spelling errors the first time.

Rokurosv
January 7th, 2009, 06:38 PM
For me they're both the same. I tried both and found them kinda buggy. I think none of those can copy the OS X dock.

OffHand
January 7th, 2009, 07:17 PM
for me they're both the same. I tried both and found them kinda buggy. I think none of those can copy the os x dock.

+1

tjwoosta
January 7th, 2009, 07:27 PM
i prefer awn because it just looks better to me

i cant seem to get cairo to look as good as awn with the 3d view

(sure you can make cairo look 3d, but theres something about the height of the dock and the position of the icons that doesn't look quite right no matter how its adjusted)

awn does have its flaws however

1. you can only place awn at the bottom of the screen (not top,left,or right)

2. with the zoom effect enabled it will make your icons look distorted while zooming (all other effects look good, my favorite is squish)

see screenshots
left: cairo
right: awn

bryonak
January 7th, 2009, 07:44 PM
For me they're both the same. I tried both and found them kinda buggy. I think none of those can copy the OS X dock.

I don't want them to copy the OSX dock...

I find Cairo-Dock way superior to it's OSX counterpart because you can turn off the window list function (which I find quite annoying) and use it as a launcher/applet/tray bar.

(sure you can make cairo look 3d, but theres something about the height of the dock and the position of the icons that doesn't look quite right no matter how its adjusted)

This settings are all customizable. I guess you have tried the Advanced button in the preferences?
Then again, what do you mean by "quite right"? Is that "quite like some other dock I'm used to" or does it really look ugly? ;)

1. you can only place awn at the bottom of the screen (not top,left,or right)

This is the main reason for me simply not to use AWN.

kk0sse54
January 7th, 2009, 10:24 PM
neither, instead wbar

fabounet
January 8th, 2009, 09:25 AM
useless thread since when Cairo-Dock 2 will be out, it will pull everybody together ;-)
(just kidding, but at least the superiority on MacOSX dock is obvious)

theApokalypsis
January 8th, 2009, 09:32 AM
useless thread since when Cairo-Dock 2 will be out, it will pull everybody together ;-)
(just kidding, but at least the superiority on MacOSX dock is obvious)

Cairo Dock 2? any extra info on that? unless you were kidding about that, or im just way too zoned out. LOL

binbash
January 8th, 2009, 10:24 AM
yet another poll, cairo dock will win as usual : )

bryonak
January 8th, 2009, 01:54 PM
http://developer.berlios.de/project/showfiles.php?group_id=8724&release_id=15624

It's still beta, and if you use 64bit, you have to compile it yourself.
Too bad it isn't yet listed in Jaunty's repos, but it might make it.

SomeGuyDude
January 8th, 2009, 05:00 PM
I like AWN but once you add a application to the bar, you can't edit anything but the icon. Hopefully you make no spelling errors the first time.

What? Yes you can, you just go into your preferences and edit the launcher. What are you talking about? :confused:

Cairo is nice, looks okay, has animations, but its menu and customization system is so hilariously putrid I refused to ever use it for more than a half hour despite trying over and over again.

|eafhound
January 8th, 2009, 09:12 PM
peachy dock :KS

but out of the two options listed both are about the same, very similar

theApokalypsis
January 9th, 2009, 01:39 AM
thanks bryonak, perhaps ill compile and see how it goes :), or be lazy and run the x86 debs... lol

released Jan 1, talk about a new years gift :D

Darkade
January 9th, 2009, 01:44 AM
I like AWN, but has some bugs. I've tried Cairo several times, but every time I keep configuring it to be more like AWN, so at the end of the day I go back to AWN

LordSmight
January 9th, 2009, 01:45 AM
I've used both Avant and Cairo. Of the two I would say that they are about the same. Although I do prefer Avant. In my experience and with my laptop Avant doesn't lag as much as Cairo and opens applications much faster.

birddog165
January 10th, 2009, 12:02 AM
What? Yes you can, you just go into your preferences and edit the launcher. What are you talking about?

Sorry, I had an old version and I just found that out today. lol. Thank you though.

gjoellee
January 10th, 2009, 12:08 AM
I would say Cairo Dock is more customizable and has more effects, but AWN feels much more stable and easier to customize.

This is MY opinions. I prefer however not to use a dock.

nidelius
February 21st, 2009, 04:00 PM
I'm running the latest 1.x version of cairo. -> cairo-dock-1.6.3.1
It seems like it's not cairo that's making the lag at least when I checked it was X that runs the CPU at strange speeds. As soon as I get to many icons in the around 15+?.. then the cpu load on the is around 80%..

/usr/X11R6/bin/X

Comments?

kef_kf
February 21st, 2009, 05:40 PM
gnome do (http://do.davebsd.com/) - docky (http://do.davebsd.com/wiki/index.php?title=Docky)

ArtF10
February 21st, 2009, 06:53 PM
Cairo Dock

Overall, nothing comes close to Docky.

toupeiro
February 21st, 2009, 07:04 PM
gnome do (http://do.davebsd.com/) - docky (http://do.davebsd.com/wiki/index.php?title=docky)

+1

fabounet
February 22nd, 2009, 11:56 PM
with Cairo-Dock2 your dock will use less than 5% CPU, how many icons it has ;-)