PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Eclipse Painfully Slow

Cerin
January 7th, 2009, 05:34 PM
I have a Dell Latitude D630 laptop. It came pre-installed with Windows XP, but I've set it up to dual boot Ubuntu. I installed the same basic apps on Ubuntu including Eclipse. However, I was disappointed to find that Eclipse, with the identical plugins used on the Windows side, ran nearly 5x as slow than the Eclipse on Windows.

I've used Fedora and Ubuntu before, and in my experience Linux tends to run a bit more efficiently, so I found this performance surprising. Can anyone think of a reason why there'd be such a performance difference with Eclipse between Ubuntu and Windows, and how I could potentially fix it?

Joshuwa
January 7th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Is it the app in general being slow, or certain functions or tools?

I have a Latitude D610, running Ubuntu 8.10 - and though I don't use Eclipse (I use Komodo Edit) - if it is the entire app and you could get away using something different, it may be worth a shot.

But if you need certain features of Eclipse, rather than just an editor/syntax checking app, then I am at a loss.

In any rate, given the vast number of Eclipse users here, I'm sure you'll find the solution pretty quickly.

Good luck!

sarath_it
January 13th, 2009, 12:03 AM
Are other apps running faster?

Check if you have eclipse starting with good heap size.
http://wiki.eclipse.org/FAQ_How_do_I_increase_the_heap_size_available_to_E clipse%3F

if it doesnot work, Goto Help > About Platform > click the config details, attach the text here

Kokopelli
January 13th, 2009, 02:28 AM
I use eclipse 3.4.1 with a few plugins (Standard enterprise devloper install plus ~7 more) and performance between Vista and Ubuntu is similar. The workspace size is vastly different so it is hard to make a direct comparison though. With an empty workspace speed is too fast to have a noticable difference.

What JDK are you using?

mgol
January 13th, 2009, 02:43 AM
What JDK are you using?

I use NetBeans 6.5, looks quite nice. But I don't use it to excessively, so don't fully rely on my opinion. A lot of people advise to use this one, though, so maybe You should give it a try?