PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing software onto USB stick

Harrowcactus
January 7th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Can anyone help.....

I have just created a USB stick Boot using the option under administration, how do now install extra software onto the USB stick.

I need this stick to work in any hardware as a recovery tool.

I have rebooted the pc using the stick and get the menu for live cs or install. I have selected the live CD option.

I assume I have created the stick wrongly.:confused:

donfletcher
January 7th, 2009, 07:51 PM
What you are trying to do somehow seems wrong. You should have had the live cd in your cd drive and installed it onto the memory stick as your HD.

But that installed operating system will have been tailored by the install process to the hardware on your system, not to some generic piece of hardware.

You Can repeat the process of installing the OS from your live CD onto the same memory stick mounted on each different hardware. If you have identical hardware you may be able to carry the stick from machine to machine.

Harrowcactus
January 7th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Many thanks for that, I will install onto the usb stick, then install the extra software.

If I boot a machine that is different to the one i created the stick on is there a way of "safe booting" it and getting it to install generic drivers?