PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Feeling underappreciated - Please help

theinnercityhippy
January 7th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Hiya.

Having helped quite a few users with various problems, to varying degrees, I've noticed that hardly anyone ever says thankyou anymore.

I realise that it's probably a bit rubbish to fish for compliments, but hey ho, I'm unashamed to ask you all to help me feel just that little bit more loved. Was hoping to start a thread with the sole purpose being to try and get as many people as possible to say thankyou and click the thanks button.

As a gift to you all, and to give you something to thank me for, here is some fantastic, lifechanging and invaluable advice:

Never eat yellow snow, never chase parked cars and never trust a man whose eyebrows meet in the middle (like mine lol)

Thanks to you all

-JimDog*- :D

-grubby
January 7th, 2009, 04:42 PM
It is great that you have helped many users, but you should feel a sense of accomplishment where you have helped them with their problem. Thanks counts are just numbers, as are post counts. No need to get worked up about them, I won't like you any less because your thanks count is lower than mine (atm) ;).

theinnercityhippy
January 7th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Hehe I know, I'm only playing. Waiting for someone to download a knoppix Cd so I can help them repair an nTFS drive and had a bit of time to kill.

I love the fact that I can repay all of the help I received when I first started out now I have quite a bit of knowledge behind me, and the more accomplished I get the more people I can help. That's what I love best about linux, and Ubuntu particularly as the forum is so alive and friendly.

Have a great day

-JimDog-

notwen
January 7th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Beans and thanks are over-rated, as are uni-brows. =]

Sealbhach
January 7th, 2009, 05:17 PM
I've racked up a good few thanks, but a lot of them are for jokes. Sorry, I can't just give you a thanks for just asking - that would make the thanks system meaningless.

The most amazing contribution I've seen in the forums is from caljohnsmith (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=530779) who joined in March 2008 and has been thanked 1,317 Times in 1,251 posts. That's an incredible contribution.

laceration
January 7th, 2009, 11:02 PM
Yeah I've been figuring out you only get thanked about half the time, sometimes you get thanked in a post but not by a medal click. Sometimes people do not even follow through and try the advice. I suppose they wanted an easier solution. Even less rare is marking threads as solved. Its a general lack of manners, I guess.

richg
January 8th, 2009, 03:39 AM
You have to want to give and not receive unless your ego needs a pat every so often. The fact that you give should be all that is necessary. That should provide all the pleasure you need.

Some people only take from the forums and very seldom give back. That is the reality I see.

Rich

theinnercityhippy
January 8th, 2009, 02:25 PM
:-) Hopefully this thread will do what it's intended to do and raise a bit of awareness about it all. We should get a wiki going on forum ettiqutte, bit like a welcome center for new users as I didn't really uderstand all the symbols and things when I started out. Would give a good point of reference for everything which a complete novice might not realise and be too shy to ask.

Ubuntu welcoming commitee anyone?

OffHand
January 8th, 2009, 02:36 PM
:-) Hopefully this thread will do what it's intended to do and raise a bit of awareness about it all. We should get a wiki going on forum ettiqutte, bit like a welcome center for new users as I didn't really uderstand all the symbols and things when I started out. Would give a good point of reference for everything which a complete novice might not realise and be too shy to ask.

Feb 2008, 53 posts and complaining about not being thanked enough.... hmmmmmm :rolleyes:

Bruv
January 8th, 2009, 02:36 PM
As a total newbie to Linux, who has freguented help forums since obtaining a PC some time ago for general, non linux help and advice, I can only say I always give my thanks because I am amazed how much some people know and are willing to share with their lesser mortals

SupaSonic
January 8th, 2009, 02:44 PM
I don't have any thanks and I don't really care. There are people who deserve it much more than I do.

It's not like it's a competition.

theinnercityhippy
January 8th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Feb 2008, 53 posts and complaining about not being thanked enough.... hmmmmmm :rolleyes:

Hehe I go for quality not quantity. If the advive you give is good then you should only need one post per person

;)

(not the only forum I offer support on)

urukrama
January 8th, 2009, 02:49 PM
I don't want to ruin your party, but you might want to be aware of this section from the Ubuntu Forums Code of Conduct (http://ubuntuforums.org/index.php?page=policy)

The Thanks plug-in is a way for users to find useful content from the large amount posted to the forums. Asking forum users for thanks reduces the usefulness of this tool. Doing anything that falsely increase your Thanks count is not allowed, and can result in warning, infractions or banning from the Ubuntu Forums.

SupaSonic
January 8th, 2009, 02:55 PM
I don't want to ruin your party, but you might want to be aware of this section from the Ubuntu Forums Code of Conduct (http://ubuntuforums.org/index.php?page=policy)

Well these are like... guidelines

overdrank
January 8th, 2009, 02:59 PM
:-)

Beginners Team (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=326)

theinnercityhippy
January 8th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Dear me, Can't believe how much controversy can be caused by a bit of fun. And also Trying to bring attention to this which it has done.

Anyway, it's served its purpose so I'll close the thread.

Would like to say though that anyone is welcome to look at posts I have made and if anyone feels that I have been anything other than polite, clear and helpful to any other user then I will gladly eat my laptop.

What this has done for me though is made me notice the following which I feel is positive;

After a long time of using the forums, I still keep finding buttons and options which I either never knew were there or are not well documented. When i first installed Ubuntu, I had a lot of computer experience and no Linux experience and so it was a steep learning curve which I luckily possessed some of the skills to surmount.

A lot of times, i see posts that say something like "Open a terminal", without any consideration that someone might not know what that is, where it is or how to open it.

This is true across the board with linux. The layout of the forums is extremely confusing for most new users I know, and finding absolutely basic help that requires no previous knowledge is hard to find. It also seems to be very much scattered about and incomplete.

For this reason, I'd like to propose making a wiki that will give very basic help which assumes absolutely no previous knowledge and shows new users how to use the forums well, in order that they might be better served by the community and not be too scared to ask things.

I'll have a good search around to try to collate things and hopefully get a good guide up soon, and I'd really appreciate any help/feedback etc that anyone can give me.

Have a lovely day people.

-JimDog-

ps, as proof, I can't even work out how to mark it as closed :(

xArv3nx
January 8th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Of all the times I've said thank you on an IRC (a lot), I have never ever, EVER received "you're welcome".

EVER.

That's discouraging.

overdrank
January 8th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Thread closed as requested by OP