PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] removing ubuntu with no optical drive

want2bdifferent
January 7th, 2009, 08:28 AM
hey everyone, i currently have ubuntu 8.10 installed on my netbook, and i am not finding much use for it anymore, and want to remove it, with the grub bootloader, is there a way to do this without using the windows disk, it is only taking up space atm, and it is really annoying me to go through grub everytime i boot

melojo
January 7th, 2009, 08:37 AM
you can fix windows mbr open a terminal applications>accessories>terminal and run
Code:

sudo lilo -M /dev/sda mbr

assuming that windows is on the drive sda

want2bdifferent
January 7th, 2009, 09:36 AM
you can fix windows mbr open a terminal applications>accessories>terminal and run
Code:

assuming that windows is on the drive sda

what do you mean by windows is on the sda?

madmilk
January 7th, 2009, 10:00 AM
what do you mean by windows is on the sda?

Just simply RUN that Command

it will.. Put back your Original BOOT .. of Windows **It Eliminates GRUB from starting**

After that command... Restart your Computer.. (without the liveCD)

And you will be back normally starting the computer into Windows

want2bdifferent
January 9th, 2009, 11:01 PM
Just simply RUN that Command

it will.. Put back your Original BOOT .. of Windows **It Eliminates GRUB from starting**

After that command... Restart your Computer.. (without the liveCD)

And you will be back normally starting the computer into Windows
thanks heaps, and now do i just format the partition with ubuntu installed on it?

estyles
January 9th, 2009, 11:05 PM
thanks heaps, and now do i just format the partition with ubuntu installed on it?

Yes. You can do that a number of ways, but the easiest IMHO would be to, after you boot back into windows, right-click on the "My Computer" icon, and choose "Manage" (note: this works on XP... dunno about vista if that's what you're using) and go to "Disk Management". Then you can delete the Ubuntu partition and create a new NTFS partition. If you're on Vista and that option isn't there, there should be something called "Disk Management" somewhere.

Note that I don't think there is any free utility in Windows to resize a partition. If you had an optical drive, you could load up the Ubuntu LiveCD and use it to resize the windows partition to take up the whole drive. But without that, I think you'll just have to live with 2 separate partitions, though you can use the second partition for games, documents, data, whatever...