PDA

View Full Version : Odd problem, I'v never seen anything like it

johnmarkbuchanan
January 7th, 2009, 08:13 AM
I have put ubuntu 8.10 on my girlfriends hp laptop. (Side note-- Before she was an ipod wielding apple supporter, but I convinced her to give lunix a try and she loves it). However, I'm having a problem every time I restart the computer and lunix is loading, the loading bar freezes and will not start moving again until I push the power button and then it resumes loading up and runs fine.

At least most of the time that is the case. If the computer did not shut down properly then the loading bar will progress when I push the power button and then freeze again but will only get half as far as it did the first time when I push the button again, and will only finish loading 20% of the time.

It doesn't make any sense to me that the power button should be a solution, haha, any thoughts?

sebvieira
January 7th, 2009, 08:16 AM
What does the console say while you boot? (press Alt+F1 or F2 i'm not sure)

Noel96
January 7th, 2009, 02:09 PM
I'd start by checking out the settings in the BIOS for power options (e.g. hibernate, etc).

RichardG891
January 7th, 2009, 02:14 PM
press and hold down any key when it freezes; also try booting on battery and then plugging into mains when it freezes - if it works, it's an Intrepid + HP laptop power management problem.