PDA

View Full Version : [Help] Need ideas for programs to make.

efexD
January 7th, 2009, 05:28 AM
I'm pretty much just sitting here with my IDE open and have no clue what to make, can anyone give me some ideas on some programs to make/ or things to do? I'm using C++ if it matters.

aszxcv
January 7th, 2009, 06:34 AM
instant messenger

jmartrican
January 7th, 2009, 07:04 AM
SIP client

Zugzwang
January 7th, 2009, 01:56 PM
A usable documentation to libpoppler. ;-)

jimi_hendrix
January 7th, 2009, 02:08 PM
quake 5

monkeyking
January 7th, 2009, 02:12 PM
skynet

jimi_hendrix
January 7th, 2009, 02:20 PM
skynet

ROFL...actually i have a similar problem that i dont know what to do...

nvteighen
January 7th, 2009, 02:27 PM
A Latin syntax analyzer in ASM :D

efexD
January 7th, 2009, 06:29 PM
instant messenger

Actually, that sounds pretty good. I'll do that :)

And uh, i'll do Quake 5 on my free time. [/sarcasm] :P

jmartrican
January 8th, 2009, 04:40 AM
Hey how about an encrypted instant messenger? I hate the fact that at work my IM's can be screaned. If you need a tester let me know.

ankursethi
January 8th, 2009, 05:01 AM
<SHAMELESS PLUG ALERT>

I have just the solution to your problem.

I've just installed a little Wiki on my new website to collect programming ideas which can be implemented in under a week's time. From the website -

Uncool's Code Dojo is a WikkaWiki website for bored programmers. It's a database of short, fun programming tasks that can be solved in less than a week's time.

Link - http://dojo.uncool.in

I have a list of ideas ready, but I'm trying to figure out a sane way to categorize them at the moment. By this weekend, I expect to have at least 25 simple, fun programming tasks on the site.

I'm also looking for admins. So, if anyone's interested, just send me a PM.

</SHAMELESS PLUG ALERT>

efexD
January 8th, 2009, 06:15 AM
Wow, Looks good so far! I'll check it out

And jmartrican:
I'll see what i can do, i'm mostly focused on getting some other IM protocols so you could still use your general IM services but with the encryption you want.

Carl Hamlin
January 8th, 2009, 06:23 AM
Hey how about an encrypted instant messenger? I hate the fact that at work my IM's can be screaned. If you need a tester let me know.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: RIPEMD160

It's been done - Psi incorporates PGP encryption, and I thought I was reading about one other recently, as well.

However, depending on the overall climate of your office, if you start bouncing encrypted IMs about, you might attract more attention than you bargained for.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)

iEYEAREDAAYFAklljbQACgkQyLm4ydrABvdE4QCgqK4JB7ZI0q 0mlzyJWhPGKq+L
QdwAniCSlavAEAPky52pxK525v4tEU2Z
=ZtnD
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

den160593
January 8th, 2009, 06:34 AM
Try do this:

http://projecteuler.net/

Interesting problems to solve using your favourite programming language and maths

juanmoreno92
January 8th, 2009, 07:01 AM
Write an OpenGL rasterizer for the Cell Broadband Engine that utilizes all 6 SPU's. (on linux of course)

ooobooontooo
January 8th, 2009, 07:04 AM
If you don't know what to do you could always look through:
https://launchpad.net/projects

@jmartrican
I believe Pidgin, which comes with Ubuntu, supports encrypted ims.

tylerspaska
January 8th, 2009, 07:19 AM
There is a very simple program (~200k) called DNA Strider. It is a DNA sequence manipulation program. To be honest it is little more than a glorified text editor; however, I've been unable to find a good port for Windows or Linux.

efexD
January 8th, 2009, 07:23 AM
Try do this:

Interesting problems to solve using your favourite programming language and maths

Yeah, i've done that as far as i can go. i'm not great at math :P

mathewb1
January 8th, 2009, 11:12 AM
LOL

Write a program that takes input from message boards, such as this, and generates a reply.

Hint - youll have to do some analysis of the frequency of words as they appear and what the topic is !!

Then you can try it out and try and fool poor noobs such as myself :)

Slainte,
MathewB.

Sprut1
January 8th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Try do this:

This was brilliant!

emobrad
January 8th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Just take all the programs that have been listed, and put them into an array. And make a random program to pick from all the list of programs and do that one? It sounds like it'd be fun.

Kilon
January 8th, 2009, 03:23 PM
I worst case scenario port an existing app from different OS to UBUNTU , or just make a "clone" to a very famous commercial one , or just participate in any open source project I am sure there are thousands out there that could use your help. Take A Pick!!!!

cmay
January 8th, 2009, 03:30 PM
you could write a program that test usb ports. i read some post concerning the automounting of some usb sticks and i my slef have just run into a problem with mounting usb sticks on a older computer and i do not know if it is the usb ports that are faulty or if it is possible that some usb devises do not work with some kinds of usb ports.
i could use such program that can tell me if the devises should work and why not if they dont. and then if possible fix it so they at least automount like they do on my ohter computers.

efexD
January 8th, 2009, 05:43 PM
you could write a program that test usb ports. i read some post concerning the automounting of some usb sticks and i my slef have just run into a problem with mounting usb sticks on a older computer and i do not know if it is the usb ports that are faulty or if it is possible that some usb devises do not work with some kinds of usb ports.
i could use such program that can tell me if the devises should work and why not if they dont. and then if possible fix it so they at least automount like they do on my ohter computers.

Yeah i would if i knew the linux API and what not. I recently came from windows so i'm still learning :)