PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] accidental install on wrong side of drive

dru3692
January 7th, 2009, 04:55 AM
QUESTION (based on the content below): Should I reinstall ubuntu onto the empty side of the drive or can I leave ubuntu and XP on the side of the drive in their respective current partitions and utilize the other, empty side of the drive for storage files and folders?

HERE'S WHAT HAS HAPPENED:
Just finished a new tower build. 320gb drive. only 120gb or so recognized by windows at first startup. Remainder of original 320gb got made into an f:. (so I have C: = 120gb, and F: = 200gb or so)

Ran ubuntu 8.10 - i386.iso image burned to DVD in windows to check driver compatibilities using the LIVE CD before final complete install of ubuntu 8.10.

Satisfied with driver compatibility, I began install of ubuntu through the install feature of the LIVE CD. During setup for ubuntu 8.10, when determining partition sizes using the graphical install from the live cd, I apparently made the selection for ubuntu to partition the first division of the 320gb drive currently holding the WINXP OS. This means that ubuntu and WinXP are now sharing HALF of the 320gb instead of giving half to XP and the other half to Ubuntu.

I want to uninstall ubuntu from one side of the drive and reinstall on the other, mostly for cleanliness. Main question is, IS IT WORTH THE TROUBLE? Would rather do it now before I start installing Ibex updates and any other large files. What do you think?

All help is appreciated.

Andrew

TSellers
January 7th, 2009, 05:47 AM
When I read your post I thought about this guide that I ran across that I thought was one of the best I'd seen. It seems to address your situation if I recall correctly:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/partitioning

dru3692
January 9th, 2009, 04:57 AM
That article confirmed my assumptions. Thanks!