PDA

View Full Version : Cowon media players, question?

wildman4god
January 7th, 2009, 03:10 AM
I have heard around these forums that this company makes linux compatible mp3 players, I checked them out but it seems the desktop software it requires (for video conversion) doesn't work under linux, am I missing something here, if they support linux wouldn't they have their software available for linux?

init1
January 7th, 2009, 03:48 AM
I have heard around these forums that this company makes linux compatible mp3 players, I checked them out but it seems the desktop software it requires (for video conversion) doesn't work under linux, am I missing something here, if they support linux wouldn't they have their software available for linux?
The player works in Linux, but I'm not surprised that the extra software doesn't. Linux already has video conversion (ffmpeg, mencoder) so it's no big deal.

mewithafez
January 7th, 2009, 03:57 AM

It's less that they support linux that their hardware accidentally works really well with linux. I have the D2 and I can either treat it like a folder in the file manager or like a device in Rhythmbox.

GrouchoMarx
January 7th, 2009, 04:00 AM
I use Avidemux (http://fixounet.free.fr/avidemux/) to convert videos for my Cowon D2. They are great little players. Not the best firmware though.

RiceMonster
January 7th, 2009, 04:24 AM
I have a D2. You don't need the software. Just add the files to it in Nautilus, or Thunar or whatever file manager you use.

I don't use it for video though, so I don't know about that...

jken146
January 7th, 2009, 05:40 AM
I also have a D2. It plays flac, ogg, mp3 et al. and avi (afaik) videos. You don't need Cowon's software at all. Any videos you need to convert can be done in avidemux. The SD expansion slot is a great feature and the battery life is phenomenal.

asmiller-ke6seh
January 15th, 2009, 02:23 PM
I just ordered a Cowon D2; after researching Personal Music Players, I found so many good things about the D2 (great sound, MCS link to my Linux laptop, Linux apps to support media for the D2, long battery life, timed FM recording, Flash skins and Flash apps, and more).

Can you folks who are using AVIDEMUX for video tell the rest of us what settings you are using to prepare videos for the D2 with AVIDEMUX?

How do you transcode DVDs for the D2?

Any other hints or tips that you care to share about video transcoding for the D2?