PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] New App: SopCast Player for Ubuntu

Pages : [1] 2

flyguy97
January 7th, 2009, 02:53 AM
Hello all,

I created a new SopCast front-end and would love it if people would help test it out a bit. It features a built-in player and a channel guide with the ability to bookmark favorite channels. Currently the only available language is English, but I'm working with a few people to try and bring support for Japanese and Chinese as well. Let me know what needs improvement, and please, be honest.

http://code.google.com/p/sopcast-player

btw. Be sure to read the Installation notes on the website before you install, due to the GPL I am unable to include the SopCast client program in the package.

flyguy97

dafoo21
January 7th, 2009, 04:30 AM
Works great for me! Thats really good timing to post this too!

flyguy97
January 7th, 2009, 04:37 AM
Works great for me! Thats really good timing to post this too!

I'm glad it installed ok. Any feedback about the player?

ranjandatta
January 7th, 2009, 05:12 AM
On Jaunty i get this error

The program 'sopcast-player.py' received an X Window System error.
This probably reflects a bug in the program.
The error was 'RenderBadPicture (invalid Picture parameter)'.
(Details: serial 7552 error_code 170 request_code 152 minor_code 7)
(Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line
option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)
ranjan@media-workhorse:~$ python: ../../src/xcb_io.c:182: process_responses: Assertion `((int) (((dpy->last_request_read)) - ((dpy->request))) <= 0)' failed.

Running it with --sync

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/sopcast-player.py", line 744, in on_channel_treeview_row_activated
self.parent.play_channel(self.selection[9], self.selection[1])
File "/usr/bin/sopcast-player.py", line 394, in play_channel
self.fork_sop.fork_sop(self.channel_url, str(self.inbound_port), str(self.outbound_port))
File "/usr/share/sopcast-player/lib/fork.py", line 42, in fork_sop
os.execlp("sp-sc", "sp-sc", self.sop_address, self.inbound_port, self.outbound_port)
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/os.py", line 337, in execlp
execvp(file, args)
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/os.py", line 354, in execvp
_execvpe(file, args)
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/os.py", line 390, in _execvpe
func(fullname, *argrest)
OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
sopcast-player.py: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.0.
sopcast-player.py: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.0.

flyguy97
January 7th, 2009, 05:40 AM
***Update*** I was able to reproduce the bug in Intrepid. A fix has been found and will be incorporated into the next release which will hopefully be out by Jan 12.

Thank you for your reply, I will look into this. I believe it is a problem with the way I fork my process. I will post an updated binary this weekend if I am able to track it down by then. Does this affect playback? Did it terminate the program? What were you doing when the error showed up? An issue has been logged on my project page. Progress of this and all bugs can be monitored at the project issues page http://code.google.com/p/sopcast-player/issues/list. Thank you again for you post.

Jason

ranjan@media-workhorse:~$ python: ../../src/xcb_io.c:182: process_responses: Assertion `((int) (((dpy->last_request_read)) - ((dpy->request))) <= 0)' failed.

Running it with --sync

File "/usr/bin/sopcast-player.py", line 744, in on_channel_treeview_row_activated
self.fork_sop.fork_sop(self.channel_url, str(self.inbound_port), str(self.outbound_port))
os.execlp("sp-sc", "sp-sc", self.sop_address, self.inbound_port, self.outbound_port)
execvp(file, args)
_execvpe(file, args)
func(fullname, *argrest)

pt123
January 7th, 2009, 06:14 AM
the problem with the old sopcast player for linux was that you couldn't enter a sopcast URL into it, can this let you do that?

flyguy97
January 7th, 2009, 06:58 AM
Yes, just enter into the channel bar at the bottom and hit enter or press play. Make sure just to enter the channel address, no port information or anything like that. Also be sure to checkout the bookmark feature, saves from having to remember the sop address.

Jason

the problem with the old sopcast player for linux was that you couldn't enter a sopcast URL into it, can this let you do that?

January 7th, 2009, 10:16 AM
File "/usr/bin/sopcast-player.py", line 39, in <module>
import vlc
ImportError: libvlc.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I have VLC 0.9.4 Grishenko according to VLC's about or, 0.9.4-1ubuntu3 according to synaptic.
I am running Intrepid

hotweiss
January 7th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Works perfectly. Thanks.

PS-Is there website that lists other channels?

jjgomera
January 7th, 2009, 10:41 AM
great :P

Im trying to install deb from google.code, y use hardy and "dependency is not satisfaciable"
in hardy there is 0.8.6, in deb: >=0.9.4

If i try to remake deb, i can install but:

jjgomera@ordenata:~$ sopcast-player.py
import vlc
ImportError: libvlc.so.2: no se puede abrír el archivo de objeto compartido: No existe el fichero ó directorio

jjgomera@ordenata:~$ sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libvlc.so.0.0.0 /usr/lib/libvlc.so.2

import vlc
ImportError: /usr/share/sopcast-player/lib/vlc.so: undefined symbol: libvlc_media_player_has_vout

or really is necesary this vlc version?

flyguy97
January 7th, 2009, 03:08 PM
I have not tested this under Hardy, I plan to set aside some time this coming week to hammer out the dependencies. If you would like to still give it a try and don't want to wait until the next release you can install vlc 0.9.x by following the directions here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=986781).

Jason

great :P

Im trying to install deb from google.code, y use hardy and "dependency is not satisfaciable"
in hardy there is 0.8.6, in deb: >=0.9.4

If i try to remake deb, i can install but:

import vlc
ImportError: libvlc.so.2: no se puede abrír el archivo de objeto compartido: No existe el fichero ó directorio

jjgomera@ordenata:~$ sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libvlc.so.0.0.0 /usr/lib/libvlc.so.2

import vlc
ImportError: /usr/share/sopcast-player/lib/vlc.so: undefined symbol: libvlc_media_player_has_vout

or really is necesary this vlc version?

flyguy97
January 7th, 2009, 07:54 PM
I'm glad that it worked for you, I don't know of any other channel lists. If anyone else does please feel free to share.

Works perfectly. Thanks.

PS-Is there website that lists other channels?

jjgomera
January 7th, 2009, 10:00 PM
I have not tested this under Hardy, I plan to set aside some time this coming week to hammer out the dependencies. If you would like to still give it a try and don't want to wait until the next release you can install vlc 0.9.x by following the directions here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=986781).

Jason
thanks

i didnt know that really vlc 0.8x and 0.9x are totally different program
Now it work like a champ :D

flyguy97
January 7th, 2009, 11:10 PM
Just to clarify the difference, python 0.9.x in Ubuntu included the ability to link off libvlc with python bindings. Apparently it was available in 0.8.x, but the Ubuntu packagers decided not to include python support. Python support had to be explicitly requested during the configure stage of building VLC. I hope that makes sense.

thanks

i didnt know that really vlc 0.8x and 0.9x are totally different program
Now it work like a champ :D

mocha
January 8th, 2009, 06:24 AM
This is really nice! Can you add a function to record the stream? I'm sure this can be done in VLC. Thanks!

flyguy97
January 8th, 2009, 07:00 AM
That is really high on the to do list. Please stay tuned.

This is really nice! Can you add a function to record the stream? I'm sure this can be done in VLC. Thanks!

tim183
January 8th, 2009, 09:57 AM
the program installs and opens ok, however when i try to play a channel the program crashes and exits.

I'm running ubuntu intrepid 32 bit fully updated and with vlc v.0.9.4

flyguy97
January 8th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Did you install the sopcast client software? If not you can find the instructions on the SopCast Player (http://code.google.com/p/sopcast-player/wiki/Installation) project page. If you already had the SopCast client software installed please post any error messages returned after the crash by runnint sopcast-player from the command line.

the program installs and opens ok, however when i try to play a channel the program crashes and exits.

I'm running ubuntu intrepid 32 bit fully updated and with vlc v.0.9.4

tim183
January 8th, 2009, 10:40 AM
here is the output when I run he program from terminal and try to open the cctv-5 channel.

tim@tim:~$ /usr/bin/sopcast-player.py
Instanciating mediacontrol
[00000001] main libvlc debug: VLC media player - version 0.9.4 Grishenko - (c) 1996-2008 the VideoLAN team
[00000001] main libvlc debug: libvlc was configured with ./configure '--build=i486-linux-gnu' '--enable-maintaner-mode' '--enable-release' '--prefix=/usr' '--enable-libtool' '--enable-fast-install' '--with-binary-version=1ubuntu3' '--disable-update-check' '--disable-gnome' '--disable-gtk' '--disable-familiar' '--disable-fb' '--enable-ggi' '--enable-sdl' '--enable-esd' '--enable-mad' '--enable-arts' '--enable-jack' '--enable-pulse' '--enable-lirc' '--enable-a52' '--enable-aa' '--enable-dvbpsi' '--enable-mozilla' '--with-mozilla-pkg=libxul-plugin' '--disable-kde' '--enable-mp4' '--enable-dvb' '--disable-satellite' '--enable-ogg' '--enable-vorbis' '--enable-shout' '--enable-qt4' '--disable-slp' '--enable-flac' '--disable-skins' '--disable-basic-skins' '--enable-skins2' '--enable-freetype' '--enable-mkv' '--enable-speex' '--enable-caca' '--enable-live555' '--enable-libmpeg2' '--enable-fribidi' '--enable-cdio' '--enable-mod' '--enable-theora' '--enable-modplug' '--enable-dvdnav' '--enable-gnutls' '--enable-ffmpeg' '--enable-ncurses' '--enable-smb' '--disable-gnomevfs' '--enable-bonjour' '--enable-mpc' '--enable-vcd' '--enable-vcdx' '--enable-notify' '--enable-twolame' '--enable-x264' '--enable-faad' '--disable-zvbi' '--enable-telx' '--enable-mediacontrol-bindings' '--disable-atmo' '--enable-taglib' '--enable-libass' '--enable-libdca' '--enable-alsa' '--enable-dv' '--enable-v4l' '--enable-v4l2' '--enable-pvr' '--enable-svgalib' '--enable-dvd' '--without-dvdcss' 'build_alias=i486-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-g -O2' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,--as-needed' 'CPPFLAGS=' 'CXXFLAGS=-g -O2'
[00000001] main libvlc debug: translation test: code is "C"
File "/usr/bin/sopcast-player.py", line 751, in on_toolbar_play_clicked
execvp(file, args)
_execvpe(file, args)
func(fullname, *argrest)
OSError: [Errno 13] Permission denied
The error was 'BadIDChoice (invalid resource ID chosen for this connection)'.
(Details: serial 3701 error_code 14 request_code 53 minor_code 0)
tim@tim:~$ python: ../../src/xcb_io.c:182: process_responses: Assertion `((int) (((dpy->last_request_read)) - ((dpy->request))) <= 0)' failed.

tombott
January 8th, 2009, 10:54 AM
Just in case you missed my post in the other thread flyguy97

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=6509154&postcount=60

Thanks for all your work.

tim183
January 8th, 2009, 10:54 AM
does that help at all?

flyguy97
January 8th, 2009, 06:19 PM
It looks like it may be a permissions problem with sp-sc. Go to a command line and execute the following:

$ sudo chmod 755 /usr/bin/sp-sc

Please let me know if that clears up the problem for you.

Jason

here is the output when I run he program from terminal and try to open the cctv-5 channel.

tim@tim:~$ /usr/bin/sopcast-player.py
[00000001] main libvlc debug: VLC media player - version 0.9.4 Grishenko - (c) 1996-2008 the VideoLAN team
[00000001] main libvlc debug: libvlc was configured with ./configure '--build=i486-linux-gnu' '--enable-maintaner-mode' '--enable-release' '--prefix=/usr' '--enable-libtool' '--enable-fast-install' '--with-binary-version=1ubuntu3' '--disable-update-check' '--disable-gnome' '--disable-gtk' '--disable-familiar' '--disable-fb' '--enable-ggi' '--enable-sdl' '--enable-esd' '--enable-mad' '--enable-arts' '--enable-jack' '--enable-pulse' '--enable-lirc' '--enable-a52' '--enable-aa' '--enable-dvbpsi' '--enable-mozilla' '--with-mozilla-pkg=libxul-plugin' '--disable-kde' '--enable-mp4' '--enable-dvb' '--disable-satellite' '--enable-ogg' '--enable-vorbis' '--enable-shout' '--enable-qt4' '--disable-slp' '--enable-flac' '--disable-skins' '--disable-basic-skins' '--enable-skins2' '--enable-freetype' '--enable-mkv' '--enable-speex' '--enable-caca' '--enable-live555' '--enable-libmpeg2' '--enable-fribidi' '--enable-cdio' '--enable-mod' '--enable-theora' '--enable-modplug' '--enable-dvdnav' '--enable-gnutls' '--enable-ffmpeg' '--enable-ncurses' '--enable-smb' '--disable-gnomevfs' '--enable-bonjour' '--enable-mpc' '--enable-vcd' '--enable-vcdx' '--enable-notify' '--enable-twolame' '--enable-x264' '--enable-faad' '--disable-zvbi' '--enable-telx' '--enable-mediacontrol-bindings' '--disable-atmo' '--enable-taglib' '--enable-libass' '--enable-libdca' '--enable-alsa' '--enable-dv' '--enable-v4l' '--enable-v4l2' '--enable-pvr' '--enable-svgalib' '--enable-dvd' '--without-dvdcss' 'build_alias=i486-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-g -O2' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,--as-needed' 'CPPFLAGS=' 'CXXFLAGS=-g -O2'
File "/usr/bin/sopcast-player.py", line 751, in on_toolbar_play_clicked
execvp(file, args)
_execvpe(file, args)
func(fullname, *argrest)
OSError: [Errno 13] Permission denied
The error was 'BadIDChoice (invalid resource ID chosen for this connection)'.
(Details: serial 3701 error_code 14 request_code 53 minor_code 0)
tim@tim:~$ python: ../../src/xcb_io.c:182: process_responses: Assertion `((int) (((dpy->last_request_read)) - ((dpy->request))) <= 0)' failed.

flyguy97
January 8th, 2009, 06:22 PM
It may be a problem with file permissions. Run the following from the command line:

$ sudo chmod 755 /usr/bin/sp-sc

Please let me know if that works for you.

Jason

Running it with --sync

execvp(file, args)
_execvpe(file, args)
func(fullname, *argrest)

martynp
January 10th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Hi,

Installed OK........ all dependencies met...... player runs OK.

However, initially I get the error that the channel list could not be refreshed due to network errors. I started VLC (installed by package manager) and allowed it to access the internet.

The channel list now refreshes but I just get one entry called 'Other' that shows nothing when clicked.

Any pointers as to what is wrong here?

Many Thanks

flyguy97
January 10th, 2009, 06:02 PM
In the code when the user clicks refresh from within the channel guide http://www.sopcast.com/gchlxml is downloaded and parsed to produce the channel guide. This service has been proven to be unreliable. No doubt when you were receiving the "List Could Not be Refreshed Due to Network Errors" the service was either down or too slow to be of any use. The problem with the "Other" can not be so easily explained. Can I assume there are no error messages?

Hi,

Installed OK........ all dependencies met...... player runs OK.

However, initially I get the error that the channel list could not be refreshed due to network errors. I started VLC (installed by package manager) and allowed it to access the internet.

The channel list now refreshes but I just get one entry called 'Other' that shows nothing when clicked.

Any pointers as to what is wrong here?

Many Thanks

martynp
January 10th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Yes, not long after making this post I discovered that it was just an unreliable connection to the server. The 'Other' was just a part loading of the channel list.

Apart from that, this works like a charm.

Many Thanks

flyguy97
January 10th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Glad to hear everything works as expected.

Jason

Yes, not long after making this post I discovered that it was just an unreliable connection to the server. The 'Other' was just a part loading of the channel list.

Apart from that, this works like a charm.

Many Thanks

NoVista
January 10th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Running fine on 8.10.

I'd be interested to know what channels users find the most popular.

flyguy97
January 11th, 2009, 04:46 AM
I now have permission from sopcast.com to redistribute sp-sc from my project page. You can download if from here (http://code.google.com/p/sopcast-player/downloads/list). The only dependency is libstdc++5, which your package manager should be able to resolve for you automatically. For those of you who manually installed sp-sc I suggest you remove it and install the the deb package. Future releases of SopCast Player will require this package, but for the time being sp-sc is an unchecked requirement.

On a related note, I am in contact with the Free Software Foundation to see if I can distribute sp-sc as part of the sopcast-player package (not a separate package). If anyone has a definitive source stating whether or not a proprietary program may be distributed with a GPL'd program, I would really appreciate it, I would like to make the installation process as painless as possible.

Jason

flyguy97
January 11th, 2009, 04:59 AM
Has this issue been resolved?

Jason

import vlc
ImportError: libvlc.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I have VLC 0.9.4 Grishenko according to VLC's about or, 0.9.4-1ubuntu3 according to synaptic.
I am running Intrepid

flyguy97
January 11th, 2009, 12:09 PM
New Release! SopCast Player 0.1.1 has been posted on my project homepage (http://code.google.com/p/sopcast-player). As stated in an earlier post, sp-auth is now added as a dependency, sp-auth can be downloaded from the downloads (http://code.google.com/p/sopcast-player/downloads/list) section of my project page. If you manually installed sp-sc (sp-auth) you will need to delete it and install the sp-auth package to satisfy the dependency. Also, SopCast Player and sp-auth are now compatible with all debian-based distributions (including debian), not just Ubuntu.

For those of you interested, today I have petitioned with http://www.myp2p.eu to make it part of there website. If you know of any other like services, please let me know so I can contact them as well.

I would like to take a moment to thank you all for making SopCast Player, in my opinion, a success. Through the first week of wide-spread distribution there have been 60 downloads, all of which have been a result of this thread.

flyguy97
January 11th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Updated: RPM packages have been posted to the SopCast Player projec page (http://code.google.com/p/sopcast-player). Please disregard rest of message.

Help! If anyone has experience creating rpm packages for python I would really appreciate their help with re-pacakaging SopCast Player and sp-auth in rpms. I tried to use alien but it strips out the dependencies. Any help with this would be much appreciated.

January 11th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Actually no, I was just about to ask for a bit of help on how to go about fixing this.

flyguy97
January 11th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Have you installed SopCast Player 0.1.1 available here (http://code.google.com/p/sopcast-player)?

Actually no, I was just about to ask for a bit of help on how to go about fixing this.

January 11th, 2009, 09:55 PM
I just did that i still get the same error.

flyguy97
January 11th, 2009, 10:03 PM
I'm almost certain you issue is with vlc. It appears the python bindings are not enabled, this usually is an indicator of a pre-0.9.x version of vlc. You might want to try to re-install vlc.

I just did that i still get the same error.

January 11th, 2009, 10:15 PM
I'm going to try a PPA or two that have newer versions of VLC.
If I can/can't track down the problem then I will come back to you with feed back.

EDIT:
I grabbed 0.9.8 from https://launchpad.net/~dariovezzosi/+archive It works now.

flyguy97
January 11th, 2009, 10:21 PM
I hope everything works out.

If I can/can't track down the problem then I will come back to you with feed back.

Vadi
January 11th, 2009, 11:35 PM
Is there a 64bit available?

flyguy97
January 12th, 2009, 02:58 AM
Unfortunately no, sopcast.com only has binaries for the 32 bit x86 architecture. I will petition my contact within the company to see if there are any plans to support other architectures. Personally, I would really like to see the ARM processor supported. How nice would it be to get SopCast on a Nokia 800/810?

Vadi
January 12th, 2009, 03:07 AM
Ahh. Good stuff anyway though.

flyguy97
January 12th, 2009, 03:16 AM
My previous post may be incorrect, a user on the Fedora side said he was able to use the sopcast client software (sp-auth, not SopCast Player) on 64 bit, I will work on compiling for 64 bit and update this thread with my results, sorry for any confusion. On a side note, I may not get to it until the weekend, it all depends on how busy work is.

flyguy97
January 12th, 2009, 08:00 PM
I'm glad everything worked out, were you using a home built version of VLC prior to updating?

EDIT:
I grabbed 0.9.8 from https://launchpad.net/~dariovezzosi/+archive It works now.

flyguy97
January 14th, 2009, 06:54 AM
SopCast Player 64 bit Version Just Released!!
I posted the x86_64 version of SopCast Player on my project page (http://code.google.com/p/sopcast-player). The 64 bit version of sp-auth needs to be installed prior to installing SopCast Player. Dependencies should be taken care of by your package manager.

January 14th, 2009, 09:02 AM
I'm glad everything worked out, were you using a home built version of VLC prior to updating?

Honestly, I haven't the foggiest. I have a lot of PPAs turned on so probably.

flyguy97
January 14th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Besides internationalization and the ability to record, which are currently in development, is there any other feature you would like to see included in SopCast Player?

Vadi
January 14th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Pausing? So you can go on a break while it keeps downloading & buffering.

Edit: I think it would be better if the channel guide was integrated into the sidebar, like totem does. It would mean it's easier to select a channel / browse through them and not have to manage two dialogs.

(or actually, can this functionality be built into totem? It did get a youtube and bbc plugin... having one program does-it-all would be wonderful :))

January 14th, 2009, 07:57 PM
Single window video/guide.

flyguy97
January 14th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Integrating everything into totem as a plugin was my first thought. However, it was quickly apparent I would run into dependency problems. I might make a go at it now that I am a lot more familiar with this type of programming.

As for your idea of integrating the channel guide into the main window, I will rebuild the ui to give the user the choice of either an all-in-one interface or the way it is currently. I think most power users would prefer an all-in-one interface while newbies, like myself, would prefer separate dialogs, it makes it a little less cluttered.

In order to integrate a pause feature I would need to add recording first. The reason why is the sopcast client has a limited buffer and thus will dump old frames. My idea to implement live pause is to allow sopcast to buffer as normal, then record before bringing up the media player, once a bit of it is recorded begin playing stream dropping data after it is played. If the user presses pause record everything until the user un-pauses. Does anyone see an alternative to this?

Pausing? So you can go on a break while it keeps downloading & buffering.

Edit: I think it would be better if the channel guide was integrated into the sidebar, like totem does. It would mean it's easier to select a channel / browse through them and not have to manage two dialogs.

(or actually, can this functionality be built into totem? It did get a youtube and bbc plugin... having one program does-it-all would be wonderful :))

Vadi
January 14th, 2009, 09:51 PM
I'd say it's the other way around actually, the united interface. Gnome's media player can be pointed out as the design for novice users. Keep in mind that it also has a "sidebar" button that hides the sidepanel.

But yeah, if you'd get this into totem, that'd be great.

flyguy97
January 15th, 2009, 07:20 PM
I see your point and agree, a single window must be more accessible otherwise I would find it hard to believe that Gnome Media Player would adopt such a design. But, since we have the tools I will hold it up to the vote and let the community decide. Please vote for the interface of choice in the thread poll above. I am thinking about including an option to do either but if the vote turns out to be lopsided I will adjust accordingly.

I'd say it's the other way around actually, the united interface. Gnome's media player can be pointed out as the design for novice users. Keep in mind that it also has a "sidebar" button that hides the sidepanel.

But yeah, if you'd get this into totem, that'd be great.

pramsay13
January 21st, 2009, 10:54 PM
Hi there, I'm fairly new to Ubuntu after my Vista crashed. I'm loving most things but just trying to tweak a few things to get it the way I want it.
I'm onto getting my football on the laptop, and I was trying to get sopcast installed to watch some games.
I went through all the install things okay and I have the player and the channel guide up, but when I click on a channel it keeps saying connecting and retrying channel down the bottom but nothing happens. I've tried a number of channels so not that.
Any suggestions?

Vadi
January 22nd, 2009, 12:08 AM
Yeah I experience the same issue with the "Sports test channel group" ones.

flyguy97
January 23rd, 2009, 03:51 AM
When a user selects a channel my program makes an attempt to connect to the selected channel, if a connection cannot be made within 3 seconds (typically plenty of time to connect to a channel) the current attempt is terminated and a new attempt is spawned. This process will repeat itself until a connection is made or the user selects another channel. If you feel the wait time is too little for your computer and internet connection, you can edit the python file at /usr/bin/sopcast-player.py. Change lines 56 and 57 to longer wait times, for example if you wanted to allow for a 10 second wait you would change the above referenced lines to
self.wait_before_retry_time = 10 / self.sleep_time
self.wait_before_restart = 10 / self.sleep_time

Keep in mind that even though a channel shows up in the channel guide, that does not mean it is functioning. I have no content control over the channel guide as it is generated from http://www.sopcast.com/gchlxml, so complaints about non-functioning channels should be reported to sopcast.com.

Version 0.2.0 (soon to be released) will allow a user customised wait time from a configuration dialogue.

Hi there, I'm fairly new to Ubuntu after my Vista crashed. I'm loving most things but just trying to tweak a few things to get it the way I want it.
I'm onto getting my football on the laptop, and I was trying to get sopcast installed to watch some games.
I went through all the install things okay and I have the player and the channel guide up, but when I click on a channel it keeps saying connecting and retrying channel down the bottom but nothing happens. I've tried a number of channels so not that.
Any suggestions?

srt4play
January 27th, 2009, 01:44 AM
Works great here on Intrepid, thanks!

joanmunoz
January 29th, 2009, 02:27 AM
Perfect! Works ok in my laptop (Compaq 6720s) running under Ubuntu Intrepid.

Thanks and great work!

Joan

chunchengch
January 29th, 2009, 09:57 AM
How can I edit the bookmark list?

jjgomera
January 29th, 2009, 10:11 AM
all that info is in file ~/.pySopCast/pySopCast.db, its a sqlite database, so you can use sqlitebrowser to edit it

chunchengch
January 30th, 2009, 01:44 AM
all that info is in file ~/.pySopCast/pySopCast.db, its a sqlite database, so you can use sqlitebrowser to edit it

Thanks.

Yes, I can edit the bookmark with sqlitebrowser, but it is better, easier and more regular to do this just within the SopCast Player, isn't it?

flyguy97
January 30th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Full bookmark management is scheduled for 0.3.0. Version 0.2.0, which includes internationalization support, is scheduled for release on 9 Feb. Version 0.3.0 should follow in another 2-3 weeks. Time permiting of course (my primary job is really busy at the present time).

Thanks.

Yes, I can edit the bookmark with sqlitebrowser, but it is better, easier and more regular to do this just within the SopCast Player, isn't it?

parthbakshi
January 31st, 2009, 02:13 AM
I installed Sopcast player after satisfying the dependencies ,when i try to run it i get this error in terminal

parth@parth-laptop:~$ /usr/bin/sopcast-player.py
File "/usr/bin/sopcast-player.py", line 44, in <module>
locale.setlocale(locale.LC_ALL, loc)
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/locale.py", line 478, in setlocale
return _setlocale(category, locale)
locale.Error: unsupported locale setting

Any idea how to solve it?

flyguy97
January 31st, 2009, 05:58 PM
Sorry about this, it appears as you may be using Indian. I guess formating dates in Indian is not supported in gettext. Open /usr/bin/sopcast-player.py and comment out the line that reads

it should be around line 44. This should fix the error message, if it doesn't please let me know.

I installed Sopcast player after satisfying the dependencies ,when i try to run it i get this error in terminal

parth@parth-laptop:~$ /usr/bin/sopcast-player.py
File "/usr/bin/sopcast-player.py", line 44, in <module>
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/locale.py", line 478, in setlocale
return _setlocale(category, locale)
locale.Error: unsupported locale setting

Any idea how to solve it?

flyguy97
February 1st, 2009, 12:24 PM
I am in need of some GPL guidance. I am using GPL v2 for SopCast Player and I would like to know if it is ok to distribute sp-auth (which is free, but proprietary) in the same debian package as SopCast Player. I would like to make SopCast Player easier to install but of course I need to follow the tenets of the GPL. Any inputs, specifically examples, would be greatly appreciated.

flyguy97
February 1st, 2009, 03:49 PM
I got the answer to my problem, according to a volunteer from gnu.org my specific case fits under this clause (http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLInProprietarySystem) of the GNU (best summarised in the last paragraph). In essence, since my program does not directly interact with the proprietary software, a term they refer to as at "arms length", I am free to distribute both in a single package as long as the copyright of each is spelled out and the user know their rights when it comes to each program.

I am in need of some GPL guidance. I am using GPL v2 for SopCast Player and I would like to know if it is ok to distribute sp-auth (which is free, but proprietary) in the same debian package as SopCast Player. I would like to make SopCast Player easier to install but of course I need to follow the tenets of the GPL. Any inputs, specifically examples, would be greatly appreciated.

Vadi
February 1st, 2009, 07:40 PM
That's good to hear.

flyguy97
February 5th, 2009, 06:19 PM
I am looking for translators for SopCast Player. I have English, Japanese, and Chinese taken care of, if you would like to see SopCast Player in your language feel free to reply to this message. I will be happy to work with first time translators.

jjgomera
February 5th, 2009, 07:14 PM
I am looking for translators for SopCast Player. I have English, Japanese, and Chinese taken care of, if you would like to see SopCast Player in your language feel free to reply to this message. I will be happy to work with first time translators.
is po file that it has to translate?

Vadi
February 5th, 2009, 08:27 PM

Upload the .po to Launchpad, and you'll be good to go.

why: https://launchpad.net/+tour/translation

flyguy97
February 6th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Thank you for the heads up. I uploaded the .po file, I'm still trying to figure out how to open for translation. I will update when translation is open. Again, thank you for the tip.

Regards,
Jason

Upload the .po to Launchpad, and you'll be good to go.

why: https://launchpad.net/+tour/translation

flyguy97
February 8th, 2009, 01:09 PM
All,

I am attempting to enable translations for SopCast Player in Launchpad. Whenever I click on the translations link it says
This project is not configured to use Launchpad for translations. I enabled the "Translations for this project are done in Launchpad" option in the Change Project Details section, as well as uploaded a po template file. From the looks of the Wiki I followed all necesary steps to enable translation. I am asking for some insight on what I am doing wrong.

Regards,
Jason

Vadi
February 8th, 2009, 03:01 PM
edit: sorry, I think you did it all right, just on the first time need to wait for a review: https://translations.launchpad.net/sopcast-player/+imports

flyguy97
February 8th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Has anyone experienced any problems when removing SopCast Player? One of the users on the Fedora side said that SopCast Player wasn't removed when VLC was removed.

flyguy97
February 8th, 2009, 10:05 PM
In the interest of quality I am delaying the release of version 0.2.0. During final testing a bug was discovered that may freeze the channel guide window during a refresh. While this doesn't pose a serious problem, I believe it is best to hammer out the bug before final release. This bug should be fixed no later than Tuesday night (GMT). I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience. If you are so inclined, the 0.2.0-pre is available from subversion under the Source heading if you don't want to wait for the official release.

Regards,
Jason

Vadi
February 8th, 2009, 10:24 PM
Not a problem at all. I like your developing style :)

flyguy97
February 9th, 2009, 05:22 AM
Thank you for the help Vadi. Everything is good to go now.

edit: sorry, I think you did it all right, just on the first time need to wait for a review: https://translations.launchpad.net/sopcast-player/+imports

jjgomera
February 9th, 2009, 10:52 AM
I dont know how use launchpad, so Spanish from Spain translation attached ;)

flyguy97
February 9th, 2009, 10:08 PM
Thank you so much for your translation. However, a few translation strings were added after this version of the file was released. Attached is the most current version of the translation file. Again, I really appreciate your efforts, thank you.

I dont know how use launchpad, so Spanish from Spain translation attached ;)

jjgomera
February 10th, 2009, 12:49 PM
are you sure you attached the last version, i dont see any untranslated entry

Vadi
February 10th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Ok, the delay in importing was because you uploaded a .po files instead of a .pot (a .pot is the template itself). So when you'll be updating the lp translations, upload a .pot.

They imported it now, so anyone can translate: https://translations.launchpad.net/sopcast-player/trunk/+pots/sopcast-player

edit: oh yeah, and when uploading, also upload the existing .po files - so lp knows that you used the translations and marks them as "syncronized".

Vadi
February 10th, 2009, 06:28 PM
I translated 45% of the project just by clicking on already-translated strings that launchpad auto-suggests from other projects that use its translation system.

Not bad at all :)

flyguy97
February 10th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Thank you for the clarification. I updloaded the Chinese file, I will upload the rest when they are ready.

Regards,
Jason

Ok, the delay in importing was because you uploaded a .po files instead of a .pot (a .pot is the template itself). So when you'll be updating the lp translations, upload a .pot.

They imported it now, so anyone can translate: https://translations.launchpad.net/sopcast-player/trunk/+pots/sopcast-player

edit: oh yeah, and when uploading, also upload the existing .po files - so lp knows that you used the translations and marks them as "syncronized".

flyguy97
February 10th, 2009, 06:46 PM
I am sorry, I must have tarred the wrong file. Attached is the correct file.

Regards,
Jason

are you sure you attached the last version, i dont see any untranslated entry

flyguy97
February 10th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Yes, I love the features that Launchpad brings to the table. Great website.

I translated 45% of the project just by clicking on already-translated strings that launchpad auto-suggests from other projects that use its translation system.

Not bad at all :)

jjgomera
February 10th, 2009, 09:33 PM
I am sorry, I must have tarred the wrong file. Attached is the correct file.

Regards,
Jason
completed :)

flyguy97
February 10th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Can you please translate the following

Show Toolbar
Bookmark

Clicking show toolbar will display a toolbar in the main player screen. Bookmark as in add bookmark. I will put in the po file. Thank you.

flyguy97
February 10th, 2009, 09:40 PM
How would you like your name to show up in the translation credits?

jjgomera
February 10th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Can you please translate the following

Show Toolbar
Bookmark

Clicking show toolbar will display a toolbar in the main player screen. Bookmark as in add bookmark. I will put in the po file. Thank you.

Show Toolbar: Mostrar barra de herramientas
Bookmark: If it's an action: Añadir a favoritos, in spanish dont exist any "bookmark" verb; or if it's a name, simply Favoritos

How would you like your name to show up in the translation credits?jjgomera is good

flyguy97
February 10th, 2009, 10:12 PM
Thank you for that, it will be included in 0.2.0, which I will begin to package in about an hour.

Regards,
Jason

Show Toolbar: Mostrar barra de herramientas
Bookmark: If it's an action: Añadir a favoritos, in spanish dont exist any "bookmark" verb; or if it's a name, simply Favoritos

jjgomera is good

redjedi
February 10th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Thank you so much for this, it seems to work perfectly so far.

I tried installing Sopcast manually on my previous install, and it was a nightmare, this was so easy for a noob like me.

look forward to the updates. How easy will it be to install the newer version?

flyguy97
February 10th, 2009, 11:15 PM
The new player can install over the old. Even if you have problems just remove the old one and then install, but I don't fore see and problems. If you can stay online for the next 2-3 hours it will be posted then.

Regards,
Jason

Thank you so much for this, it seems to work perfectly so far.

I tried installing Sopcast manually on my previous install, and it was a nightmare, this was so easy for a noob like me.

look forward to the updates. How easy will it be to install the newer version?

flyguy97
February 11th, 2009, 02:31 AM
SopCast 0.2.0 is out. However, I don't have time tonight to make deb package. I have every intention of packaging the debs tonight.

Regards,
Jason

mocha
February 11th, 2009, 05:39 AM
Does your new version support recording? I don't see it listed as a to-do on your google code page.

flyguy97
February 11th, 2009, 06:55 AM
That will either be next release or the release after.

Does your new version support recording? I don't see it listed as a to-do on your google code page.

flyguy97
February 11th, 2009, 09:06 PM
Attached is the SopCast Player 0.2.0 package. I am unable to post it to google code due to server problems. Please let me know if you run into any difficulties. Don't forget to install the sp-auth package from http://code.google.com/p/sopcast-player/downloads/list before installing.

Regards,
Jason

*Edit: Google code is now functioning and thus deb package removed, please go to http://code.google.com/p/sopcast-player/downloads/list to download package

flyguy97
February 11th, 2009, 09:57 PM
All,

I am in desperate need of a German translator for SopCast Player. If you can help please go to https://translations.launchpad.net/sopcast-player to translate. Thank you.

Regards,
Jason

Vadi
February 11th, 2009, 10:19 PM
64bit .debs?

oyvindm
February 11th, 2009, 10:46 PM
yeah, is there any 64bit.deb coming? I really hope so. After reading through these ten pages of posts I'm really looking forward to trying out your player.

edit:

I added a Norwegian translation while I'm waiting ;)

chunchengch
February 12th, 2009, 03:07 AM
Thanks for the new SopCast Player 0.2.0 package.

I would like to rebuild the deb to include the favor sop channels, so that I don't have to re-input those to bookmarks when I install SopCast Player on other computers.

The question is how can I add these channels in pySopCast.glade? thanks for reply.

chunchengch
February 12th, 2009, 03:30 AM
I prefer the default sop channel input block in version 0.1.1.

flyguy97
February 12th, 2009, 05:57 AM
I will try to get that done at launch today, otherwise tonight after work. Just ran out of time last night.

Cheers

64bit .debs?

flyguy97
February 12th, 2009, 05:59 AM
My advice is to copy the ~/.pySopCast directory to all your other computers' /home/<user> directory. This will bring over all preferences as well.

Cheers

Thanks for the new SopCast Player 0.2.0 package.

I would like to rebuild the deb to include the favor sop channels, so that I don't have to re-input those to bookmarks when I install SopCast Player on other computers.

The question is how can I add these channels in pySopCast.glade? thanks for reply.

flyguy97
February 12th, 2009, 06:01 AM
You can expect a 64-bit deb sometime today. How would you like your name displayed in the translation credits?

Cheers

yeah, is there any 64bit.deb coming? I really hope so. After reading through these ten pages of posts I'm really looking forward to trying out your player.

edit:

I added a Norwegian translation while I'm waiting ;)

flyguy97
February 12th, 2009, 06:04 AM
I will see if it feasible to re-add that feature in the next release (in about two weeks), As it is now you can use shortcut keys to manage the display mode, if you were to type in the channel input block I would need to block those keyboard events from bubbling up to the window. I'm sure there is a solution but I will have to research it.

I prefer the default sop channel input block in version 0.1.1.

chunchengch
February 12th, 2009, 10:43 AM
Here is the sopcast-player.mo for Traditional Chinese.

flyguy97
February 12th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Thank you so much. I love how everyone has rallied to make this program successful. How would you like your name to show up in the credits?

chunchengch
February 12th, 2009, 12:40 PM
...How would you like your name to show up in the credits?

I have sent you a private message.

flyguy97
February 12th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Has anyone found any bugs in the program?

I have sent you a private message.

flyguy97
February 12th, 2009, 06:42 PM
chunchengch,

I actually need the po file, it is a GPL requirement. Thank you again.

Regards,
Jason

flyguy97
February 12th, 2009, 08:34 PM
All,

SopCast Player 0.2.0 64-bit is available for download from the project page http://code.google.com/p/sopcast-player.

Regards,
Jason

oyvindm
February 12th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Thank you very much. It worked great.

as for the credits, that's not really necessary, but if it matters I'll send you a pm with my name.

Thanks again!

Vadi
February 12th, 2009, 09:35 PM
Would it be possible to get this listed on the sopcast site as the unofficial player for ubuntu / fedora?

chunchengch
February 13th, 2009, 01:41 AM
chunchengch,

i actually need the po file, it is a gpl requirement. Thank you again.

Regards,
jason

chunchengch
February 13th, 2009, 01:46 AM
Has anyone found any bugs in the program?

How can I retrieve it after I uncheck "Show Contorls"?

flyguy97
February 13th, 2009, 05:16 AM
Ctrl+h, or h should work. However, I realized last night that if I go into fullscreen the Player loses the ability to pick up the keyboard signals. My suggestion is to avoid fullscreen mode if you are going to be hiding your controls for now. I will fix this in the 0.2.1 release, tentatively scheduled for 28 February. I apologize for any inconvenience.

Cheers,
Jason

How can I retrieve it after I uncheck "Show Contorls"?

flyguy97
February 13th, 2009, 05:28 AM
Funny you should ask, yesterday I contacted sopcast.com about that very subject. They said they would be happy to add SopCast Player to the downloads page. I assume it will happen sometime soon. I will definitely keep everyone updated. Now if I could just get a Linux mag to review the player...

Cheers

Would it be possible to get this listed on the sopcast site as the unofficial player for ubuntu / fedora?

flyguy97
February 13th, 2009, 05:36 AM
Vadi,

I was unable to find how I should credit for your translation in the po file. It looks like I somehow got my name attached to the translation. How would you like your name to show up in the credits?

Jason

flyguy97
February 13th, 2009, 06:43 AM
All,

I would like to sincerely thank everyone who has helped to make SopCast Player a complete success. I began work on SopCast Player December 22, 2008. The first release was posted January 4, 2009. And now just a little over a month since the first full release SopCast Player has been made the official Linux Player by sopcast.com http://sopcast.com/download (http://sopcast.com/download/). I am truly humbled by SopCast Player's success and owe you all a debt of appreciation. Thank you to all the translators and user's and those that found problems or suggested ways to improve SopCast Player. Without your help this never would have happened. Again, I sincerely thank you and hope you continue to support SopCast Player.

Best Regards,
Jason

Vadi
February 13th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Was going over the translations - just realized that elipsis' are missing from strings that show "in progress" things like "Updating database" or "Downloading blah".

Vadi
February 13th, 2009, 03:36 PM
About translation - there is some property you can use, called "about-translators" or something to retrieve the translators names - but I can't find it atm

flyguy97
February 13th, 2009, 07:23 PM
I will look into it tonight.

Cheers

About translation - there is some property you can use, called "about-translators" or something to retrieve the translators names - but I can't find it atm

flyguy97
February 13th, 2009, 07:25 PM
If anyone has tried the external player option could they please post their experiences. I am curious if this feature was well implemented and user-friendly enough.

Cheers

Vadi
February 13th, 2009, 07:36 PM
definitely not user-friendly enough (part of why I didn't try it).

imho you should query the mimetype db for apps that support the playback, and offer them in a dropdown box.

(no idea how to check what apps support what mime type, but it's definitately doable)

flyguy97
February 13th, 2009, 09:03 PM
In order to try SopCast Player with external player, type the command to launch the player plus any parameter you want with the exception of the media source into the external player command input box, the media sources is provided by SopCast Player. The default entry will launch mplayer in a scaled box and keep the player on top. I will look into the mimetype db, this looks to be very promising. Thank you for your suggestion.

Cheers

imho you should query the mimetype db for apps that support the playback, and offer them in a dropdown box.

(no idea how to check what apps support what mime type, but it's definitately doable)

flyguy97
February 14th, 2009, 08:41 AM
The next version of SopCast Player should implement your suggested method of looking up mimetypes, thank you for your suggestion. The following is a method to lookup the asf mimetype, it will display a list of executables that support the asf mimetype. Just in case your interested:)

import gnomevfs

for app in gnomevfs.mime_get_all_applications("video/x-ms-asf"):
print app[2]

Regards,
Jason

Vadi
February 14th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Ahh. Looks good, except isn't gnomevfs going to be depriciated? you should use gvfs instead

I think this is the replacement: http://library.gnome.org/devel/gio/stable/gio-GContentType.html

and here (http://library.gnome.org/devel/references) it says:

This module is heading towards planned deprecation. It will continue to be supported and API/ABI stable throughout the GNOME 2.x series, but we do not recommend using it in new applications unless you require functionality that has not already been moved elsewhere.

flyguy97
February 15th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Thank you for the heads up on gnomevfs' impending deprecation. The documentation on gio (gvfs) in python is terrible. I couldn't find a single good example of using gio, specifically gathering app information, in python. I had to use python's dir command to generate my own makeshift documentation (pen and paper scribbles). The following does the same thing as my previous post.

import gio

for app in gio.app_info_get_all_for_type("video/x-ms-asf"):
print "Name: %s" % app.get_name()
print "Command: %s" % app.get_executable()
print ""

Regards,
Jason

Ahh. Looks good, except isn't gnomevfs going to be depriciated? you should use gvfs instead

I think this is the replacement: http://library.gnome.org/devel/gio/stable/gio-GContentType.html

and here (http://library.gnome.org/devel/references) it says:

Vadi
February 15th, 2009, 03:44 PM
You are right about the missing documentation... I have no idea what package is the gio module for python is coming from, and it's not mentioned at all in the pygtk docs (I did find their tutorial though - wow, it is good).

Looking...

Vadi
February 15th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Well, turns out nobody wrote it yet. They recommended to look at the C docs since they are 'closely matching'.

Meanwhile I've filed a report about it to keep them reminded: http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=571834

flyguy97
February 15th, 2009, 05:29 PM
I guess in this case the words 'closely matching' are relative. I had a heck of a time figuring out how they implemented in python.

In your opinion do you think gio is a commonly distributed module, or will I have to do some conditional coding to check for its existence?

Cheers

Well, turns out nobody wrote it yet. They recommended to look at the C docs since they are 'closely matching'.

Meanwhile I've filed a report about it to keep them reminded: http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=571834

Vadi
February 15th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Some older distributions might not ship it, so yes check if gio is installed before using. If it's not installed, hmm... well, fallback to gnomevfs.

flyguy97
February 15th, 2009, 06:31 PM
Agreed, I will do a rolling fallback, if no gio, fallback to gnomevfs, if no gnomevfs and no gio, fallback to current un-user-friendly external command as it now. Do you mind if I send you a mock up of the dialog box before I finalize? I find that I am not the best judge of ease of use.

Cheers

Some older distributions might not ship it, so yes check if gio is installed before using. If it's not installed, hmm... well, fallback to gnomevfs.

Vadi
February 15th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Sure thing. Contact info: https://launchpad.net/~vperetokin

flyguy97
February 15th, 2009, 09:55 PM
Vadi,

Are you still having issues with SopCast Player freezing while it is buffering?

Jason

Vadi
February 15th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Yes, still happens sometimes. Nothing special in the terminal:

vadi@ubuntu:~$ sopcast-player.py
[00000001] main libvlc debug: libvlc was configured with ./configure '--build=x86_64-linux-gnu' '--enable-maintaner-mode' '--enable-release' '--prefix=/usr' '--enable-libtool' '--enable-fast-install' '--with-binary-version=1ubuntu3' '--disable-update-check' '--disable-gnome' '--disable-gtk' '--disable-familiar' '--disable-fb' '--enable-ggi' '--enable-sdl' '--enable-esd' '--enable-mad' '--enable-arts' '--enable-jack' '--enable-pulse' '--enable-lirc' '--enable-a52' '--enable-aa' '--enable-dvbpsi' '--enable-mozilla' '--with-mozilla-pkg=libxul-plugin' '--disable-kde' '--enable-mp4' '--enable-dvb' '--disable-satellite' '--enable-ogg' '--enable-vorbis' '--enable-shout' '--enable-qt4' '--disable-slp' '--enable-flac' '--disable-skins' '--disable-basic-skins' '--enable-skins2' '--enable-freetype' '--enable-mkv' '--enable-speex' '--enable-caca' '--enable-live555' '--enable-libmpeg2' '--enable-fribidi' '--enable-cdio' '--enable-mod' '--enable-theora' '--enable-modplug' '--enable-dvdnav' '--enable-gnutls' '--enable-ffmpeg' '--enable-ncurses' '--enable-smb' '--disable-gnomevfs' '--enable-bonjour' '--enable-mpc' '--enable-vcd' '--enable-vcdx' '--enable-notify' '--enable-twolame' '--enable-x264' '--enable-faad' '--disable-zvbi' '--enable-telx' '--enable-mediacontrol-bindings' '--disable-atmo' '--enable-taglib' '--enable-libass' '--enable-libdca' '--enable-alsa' '--enable-dv' '--enable-v4l' '--enable-v4l2' '--enable-pvr' '--enable-svgalib' '--enable-dvd' '--without-dvdcss' 'build_alias=x86_64-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-g -O2' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,--as-needed' 'CPPFLAGS=' 'CXXFLAGS=-g -O2'
Inbound Port: 38149
Outbound Port: 49427
overflow in spectral RLE, ignoring

flyguy97
February 15th, 2009, 10:21 PM
Is it related to a specific channel or does it happen with any channel?

Yes, still happens sometimes. Nothing special in the terminal:

Vadi
February 16th, 2009, 12:17 AM
I didn't notice a pattern, so I think with any.

flyguy97
February 16th, 2009, 04:07 AM
One thing I can suggest is using the external player option if you have mplayer installed. If it still freezes with the external player option then the problem is with SopCast Player, if everything works fine, the problem is with VLC.

flyguy97
February 17th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Did you have any luck testing in out?

Cheers

flyguy97
February 21st, 2009, 06:37 PM
All,

Tomorrow at 4:00pm GMT SopCast Player 0.2.1 will be released. This will add additional language support as well as some minor bug fixes. Languages supported will be Catalan, English, German, Italian, Japanese, Norwegian Bokmal, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, and Traditional Chinese. I would like to thank all the translators that have freely given of their time.

I am still looking for additional translations, primarily for European and South American languages. If you able to contribute please visit https://translations.launchpad.net/sopcast-player to add your language. I will be sure to add your name to the translation credits if you would like.

Cheers,
Jason

flyguy97
February 22nd, 2009, 05:50 PM
All,

SopCast Player 0.2.1 has been posted and is available for download at http://code.google.com/p/sopcast-player. Also, I have setup a web page that tracks the total number of downloads by version in case anyone is interested. It is available at http://download-tracker.appspot.com/. Thank you to all of you for your support. And a special thank you to the translators and ogetbilo from Fedora Forums (http://forums.fedoraforum.org) for his work with the Makefile and spec file, before his work the source code archive was a real mess.

Regards,
Jason

chunchengch
February 23rd, 2009, 12:55 PM
I just install SopCast Player 0.2.1 and have some suggestions,

1. I think it will be more convenient to include the sp-sc in the SopCast Player package.

2. The launcher is placed in category /Applications/Networks by default, but I think it is more proper to be placed in /Applications/Multimedia.

3. The path of Icon is not specified in sopcast-player.desktop, so the launcher does not display the icon correctly.

I rebuild the deb for my own usage and would be pleased to attach here for your reference.

Vadi
February 23rd, 2009, 01:55 PM
1) he can't legally do that

flyguy97
February 23rd, 2009, 05:48 PM
1. As Vadi stated, I can't legally do that as ap-auth is under a commercial license and this is an open source project.

2. I agree, I plan on making the change in version 0.3.0.

3. I was unaware of this issue. Can anyone else share their experiences with this issue? On both my fresh vmware images I use to create the deb files everything displayed correctly after installing the file. Did you try logging out and logging in again? As far as the path is concerned gnome should be taking care of that under the hood

Thank you for your input and thank you for supporting SopCast Player.

Cheers,
Jason

I just install SopCast Player 0.2.1 and have some suggestions,

1. I think it will be more convenient to include the sp-sc in the SopCast Player package.

2. The launcher is placed in category /Applications/Networks by default, but I think it is more proper to be placed in /Applications/Multimedia.

3. The path of Icon is not specified in sopcast-player.desktop, so the launcher does not display the icon correctly.

I rebuild the deb for my own usage and would be pleased to attach here for your reference.

flyguy97
February 23rd, 2009, 05:50 PM
Vadi,

Any help for the window freezes in 0.2.1?

Jason

Vadi
February 23rd, 2009, 07:19 PM

It shouldn't need to, this is standard. In fact hard-coding the path would be bad because distros change the locations.

Vadi
February 23rd, 2009, 07:32 PM
Any help for the window freezes in 0.2.1?

Haven't been watching too much tv, but it wasn't having problems so far.

flyguy97
February 23rd, 2009, 07:35 PM
Can I clear the bug in google code?

Haven't been watching too much tv, but it wasn't having problems so far.

Vadi
February 23rd, 2009, 07:39 PM
sure

dittohead80
March 11th, 2009, 08:27 PM
I've got a bit of a problem with my Sopcast player. It was working ok when I first installed it but after a recent update it comes up with an error message when I try to run it: "RuntimeError: Bad magic number in .pyc file". How do i fix that?

anlag
March 11th, 2009, 11:47 PM
Just wanted to say thanks for a great program. Getting SopCast to work on Ubuntu has always been a bit of a pain earlier, but your program just works perfectly straight away.

Was so grateful I went and made you a Swedish translation for it. Only two items I couldn't translate: "QC" and "QS" which I have no idea what they're referring to, but unless they're some clever abbreviations in English I'd assume whatever they mean they could simply be directly copied into the Swedish version.

Cheers again!

jjgomera
March 12th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Just wanted to say thanks for a great program. Getting SopCast to work on Ubuntu has always been a bit of a pain earlier, but your program just works perfectly straight away.

Was so grateful I went and made you a Swedish translation for it. Only two items I couldn't translate: "QC" and "QS" which I have no idea what they're referring to, but unless they're some clever abbreviations in English I'd assume whatever they mean they could simply be directly copied into the Swedish version.

Cheers again!
from here (http://www.sopcast.com/docs/so.html#5.2):

5.2 QS & QC

Two parameters could be used to monitor the quality of a channel. One is the quality of source (QS) and another is the quality of client network (QC).

QS stands for the quality of the channel source. Low QS value means the SopServer does not receive enough channel content, and it will result in the poor quality of all viewers. If you feed the channel with an external media server's stream, and SopServer presents the poor QS, you should check the connection between SopServer and the media server to see whether the connection can transfer the stream data efficiently and integrally.

QC stands for the average buffer level of all viewers. The high QC value means the p2p network is working greatly and every watcher can receive most of the channel content in its buffer. If a channel has a low QC, you can check
1) whether the SopServer have enough bandwidth to support the p2p distribution.
2) whether most peers in p2p network have not good internet access to share the stream data.

On SopServer, when a channel is broadcasting, you can monitor QS in "server status info" area. You can click the blue "quality bar" on WebPlayer or SopPlayer to see the quality of a channel, QC.

but i wouldn't translate, like kbps

flyguy97
March 12th, 2009, 08:33 PM

Cheers again!

I can see your question about translation was answered. I just wanted to say thank you for supporting SopCast Player. Your translation has been added to source and will be released as part of the distro packages in the 0.2.2 release which is due out this weekend. Thank you again, and keep up the great work!

Cheers,
Jason

NoelJB
March 14th, 2009, 12:17 AM
I've got a bit of a problem with my Sopcast player. It was working ok when I first installed it but after a recent update it comes up with an error message when I try to run it: "RuntimeError: Bad magic number in .pyc file". How do i fix that?

I saw the same problem since python was updated in Jaunty. Because when Python compiles, it embeds its magic number in the resulting .pyc, so when that is loaded against another version of python, things go boom.

To fix the problem, go to /usr/share/sopcast-player/lib/ and delete all of the .pyc files. But there is a direct reference to .pyc in the launcher, so you must also go to /usr/bin/sopcast-player, and change .pyc to .py. After that, it should run for you.

NoelJB
March 14th, 2009, 01:25 AM
After that, it should run for you.

Loosely speaking, mind you. Under Jaunty, the channel guide is throwing an exception when you load:

You must not use 8-bit bytestrings unless you use a text_factory that can interpret 8-bit bytestrings (like text_factory = str). It is highly recommended that you instead just switch your application to Unicode strings.

That does not happen under Intrepid (python 2.5.2).

flyguy97
March 14th, 2009, 02:09 AM
Loosely speaking, mind you. Under Jaunty, the channel guide is throwing an exception when you load:

That does not happen under Intrepid (python 2.5.2).

What version of Python are you running?

Vadi
March 14th, 2009, 02:21 AM
Jaunty has 2.6

flyguy97
March 14th, 2009, 02:35 AM
Jaunty has 2.6

I am downloading Jaunty right now and will release a new package tomorrow fixing this issue.

Cheers

calin_ionut
March 17th, 2009, 06:14 PM
I installed the sopcast player from source but when i refresh the "SopCast Player Channel Guide" button it doesn`t appear any channel. It download in my home directory the xml file channel_guide.xml in .pySopCast directory but it doesn`t appear in the list.

Maybe i did something wrong, but if i open a sop address manually it works.

btw... i am using opensuse 11.1 and python 2.6

Cheers!

flyguy97
March 18th, 2009, 05:50 AM
I installed the sopcast player from source but when i refresh the "SopCast Player Channel Guide" button it doesn`t appear any channel. It download in my home directory the xml file channel_guide.xml in .pySopCast directory but it doesn`t appear in the list.

Maybe i did something wrong, but if i open a sop address manually it works.

btw... i am using opensuse 11.1 and python 2.6

Cheers!

There is a known issue with using python 2.6. I am working on a fix for it but I am unsure how long it will take to publish. A workaround is to invoke the executable with the python2.5 command. I will publish a fix as soon as I can find a viable solution.

Cheers,
Jason

NoelJB
March 19th, 2009, 09:44 PM
There is a known issue with using python 2.6.
[...]
A workaround is to invoke the executable with the python2.5 command.

Yes, just change /usr/bin/sopcast-player as follows:

#!/bin/sh
/usr/bin/python2.5 /usr/share/sopcast-player/lib/sopcast-player.py $@

luk1don
March 25th, 2009, 09:46 AM
I'm using Jaunty and I don't see channels list... Any solution?

You must not use 8-bit bytestrings unless you use a text_factory that can interpret 8-bit bytestrings (like text_factory = str). It is highly recommended that you instead just switch your application to Unicode strings.

dittohead80
April 8th, 2009, 08:23 PM

#!/bin/sh

That worked a treat! Thank you very much :)

stanca
April 23rd, 2009, 09:39 PM
Me too,thank you!

MarzioDance
April 28th, 2009, 08:33 PM
Works now, thank you

tilleternity
April 28th, 2009, 11:28 PM
Yes, just enter into the channel bar at the bottom and hit enter or press play. Make sure just to enter the channel address, no port information or anything like that. Also be sure to checkout the bookmark feature, saves from having to remember the sop address.

Jason

I am running it on jaunty with the python 2.5 as shown in previous posts. I cannot see the channel bar where I can enter the channel number.

sombrancelha
April 29th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Hello,

I installed SopCast Player with no error messages, but when I try to launch it, nothing happens.

I'm running Jaunty. Any idea what might be the problem?

Thanks!

Rofko
May 2nd, 2009, 11:51 PM
There is def a bug with this prgram in Jaunty. I have the same problem as sombrancelha. The program simply does not run. If you run it in the terminal, you get the error message:

RuntimeError: Bad magic number in .pyc file

Operan
May 5th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Hello,

I installed SopCast Player with no error messages, but when I try to launch it, nothing happens.

I'm running Jaunty. Any idea what might be the problem?

Thanks!

The same to me! :confused:

zeltak
May 10th, 2009, 02:09 PM
same here (RuntimeError: Bad magic number in .pyc file)

Zeltak

todorkichukov
May 14th, 2009, 04:15 PM
You will see "RuntimeError: Bad magic number in .pyc file" message only when you run it from terminal.

This worked great for me, give it a try:

To fix the problem, go to /usr/share/sopcast-player/lib/ and delete all of the .pyc files. But there is a direct reference to .pyc in the launcher, so you must also go to /usr/bin/sopcast-player, and change .pyc to .py. After that, it should run for you.

marwin82
May 15th, 2009, 01:25 PM
hey thanks to the author of this application...now sopcast works very good on my jaunty (installing python 2.5 and deleting .pyc)

There is only one issue:
anyone of you have the solutions to open sop-links (like the ones from myp2p/rojadirecta)?

before with another version of gsopcast there were a script (usually called sopper) and some firefox commands to change...i'm trying to find something for this version...anyone can help?

marwin82
May 15th, 2009, 01:46 PM
the script which i was talking in my previous post is that:

open a new file and copy:

#!/bin/sh
/usr/bin/sp-sc $1 3908 8908 > /dev/null &
sleep 15
mplayer http://localhost:8908/tv.asf
echo Exiting...
kill -9 $(pidof sp-sc)
call the file "sopper"

after

chmod +x sopper
after

sudo mv sopper /usr/bin
finally the firefox instructions:
go to about:config (in the browser address bar)

-right click > New > Boolean
-write: network.protocol-handler.external.sop
-set to: true

-right click > New > String
-write: network.protocol-handler.app.sop
-write: (/usr/bin/sopper)

is possible to make something like that for this version of sopcast?

sombrancelha
May 16th, 2009, 04:53 AM
You will see "RuntimeError: Bad magic number in .pyc file" message only when you run it from terminal.

This worked great for me, give it a try:

thanks, now i could launch the program. i haven't tried watching any channels yet, though.

flyguy97
May 17th, 2009, 09:09 PM
All,

Sorry for the long wait for the fixes to the issues created by python 2.6+. I ask that some brave testers download and install the latest source from svn. Instructions to download the latest svn sources can be found at http://code.google.com/p/sopcast-player/source/checkout. After downloading the repo, issue the following commands:

make all
sudo make install-all

This should clear up all existing issues. Please post results on this forum so I know if I should create binaries or if its back to the drawing board. Thank you for your understanding and I look forward to your feedback.

Cheers,
Jason

psychokill3r
June 3rd, 2009, 04:42 AM
I saw the same problem since python was updated in Jaunty. Because when Python compiles, it embeds its magic number in the resulting .pyc, so when that is loaded against another version of python, things go boom.

Thanks

i installing sopcast-player_0.2.1-1_amd64.deb ,sp-auth_3.0.1_amd64.deb
and vlc
machine phenon X3 8400 4gb ram ubuntu 9.04 64bits
Solved bad magic number.
but no connection:(
i refresh sopcast player channel guide = server down

any solution ?
Thank you very much.:KS

Posted by NoelJB View Post
Code:

#!/bin/sh

Solved
Thank You very much

flyguy97
June 3rd, 2009, 06:54 AM
I don't know you expierence level with building from source but the subversion repo within google code has a fix for this, it is the pre 0.3.0 release. I hope to package 0.3.0 soon, maybe tonight, I will let you know when it is available.

Cheers,
Jason

Thanks

i installing sopcast-player_0.2.1-1_amd64.deb ,sp-auth_3.0.1_amd64.deb
and vlc
machine phenon X3 8400 4gb ram ubuntu 9.04 64bits
Solved bad magic number.
but no connection:(
i refresh sopcast player channel guide = server down

any solution ?
Thank you very much.:KS

Posted by NoelJB View Post
Code:

#!/bin/sh

Solved
Thank You very much

flyguy97
June 4th, 2009, 09:59 PM
All,

SopCast Player 0.3.0 is now available for download at http://code.google.com/p/sopcast-player. This version fixes both the channel guide issue and the issue that kept SopCast Player from opening. Additional language support has also been added. Note the main menu entry has moved location from Internet to Sound & Video, this is in response to the overwhelming number of users who prefered the new location. I would like to take a moment to apologize for the long delay in releasing this version. Also, thank you to all of those that have posted ideas on how to work around the pyc issue. Thank you for continued support and I hope you enjoy the new SopCast Player.

Cheers,
Jason

June 6th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Installed and running perfectly on Jaunty 64. Thank you very much.:-D

flyguy97
June 6th, 2009, 07:34 PM
I am pleased to hear that. I ask that anyone that uses an earlier version of Ubuntu report their experiences as well. I'm almost certain everything should work fine with the earlier versions of Ubuntu but I would greatly appreciate community feedback.

Cheers,
Jason

Installed and running perfectly on Jaunty 64. Thank you very much.:-D

hibliss
June 13th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Your project has gotten better and better with time, and I just realized that you added the 64 bit deb to your google page.

Working great for me, no real complaints that have not been addressed.

Stream quality is better than gsopcast and the overall program is better than qsopcast.

Thank you for all your efforts to improve this over time, and especially for making the 64 bit deb and rpm. People like you are what really make the Linux community strong and make it a pleasure to use FOSS.

Now all I need is more popcorn :popcorn:

flyguy97
June 14th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Thank you for your kind words. I am glad you enjoy SopCast Player. Have some more popcorn on me! :popcorn:

Your project has gotten better and better with time, and I just realized that you added the 64 bit deb to your google page.

Working great for me, no real complaints that have not been addressed.

Stream quality is better than gsopcast and the overall program is better than qsopcast.

Thank you for all your efforts to improve this over time, and especially for making the 64 bit deb and rpm. People like you are what really make the Linux community strong and make it a pleasure to use FOSS.

Now all I need is more popcorn :popcorn:

ztirffritz
July 7th, 2009, 05:23 PM
I was able to install Sopcast finally because VLC released a deb for VLC 1.0.0 today. I'm using Ubuntu 8.04 x64. VLC updated with no errors. I installed sp-auth and the gui from the debs on the sopcast player page (http://code.google.com/p/sopcast-player/). All installed without any errors. Sopcast player launches, it downloads channels, then it crashes when I try to load anything. I'm pretty sure that is not how it is supposed ot work. I've used this at home on my Mythbuntu box with no problems, but I'm guessing that something is not working with the new version of VLC. Have any suggestions?

flyguy97
July 7th, 2009, 09:11 PM
I was able to install Sopcast finally because VLC released a deb for VLC 1.0.0 today. I'm using Ubuntu 8.04 x64. VLC updated with no errors. I installed sp-auth and the gui from the debs on the sopcast player page (http://code.google.com/p/sopcast-player/). All installed without any errors. Sopcast player launches, it downloads channels, then it crashes when I try to load anything. I'm pretty sure that is not how it is supposed ot work. I've used this at home on my Mythbuntu box with no problems, but I'm guessing that something is not working with the new version of VLC. Have any suggestions?

Please launch from terminal so you can capture any error messages that may appear. Thank you.

Cheers,
Jason

Ulysses
July 8th, 2009, 02:53 AM
Hello

And thankyou to the genius who did this.

It think it was half a dozen mouse clicks to get it running and now I am watching tv on my pc

And, I am greedy for asking this, but I like my sci-fi and I was wondering what other channels this had to offer for free?

RAR

mamamia88
July 9th, 2009, 01:35 AM
ok it just goes in an endless loop of connecting/retrying channel when copying and pasting link or clicking built in channels any help?

Green_Star
July 11th, 2009, 12:54 AM
Running Ubuntu 8.04, 32bit, vlc 0.9.9a. I can launch sopcast-player, it opens the window, when I try to start any channel it just crashes. Could you please help me to fix this?

$ sopcast-player
[00000001] main libvlc debug: VLC media player - version 0.9.9a Grishenko - (c) 1996-2009 the VideoLAN team
[00000001] main libvlc debug: libvlc was configured with ./configure '--build=i486-linux-gnu' '--enable-maintaner-mode' '--enable-release' '--prefix=/usr' '--enable-libtool' '--enable-fast-install' '--with-binary-version=1~ppa1~hardy2' '--disable-update-check' '--disable-gnome' '--disable-gtk' '--disable-familiar' '--disable-fb' '--enable-ggi' '--enable-sdl' '--enable-esd' '--enable-mad' '--enable-arts' '--enable-jack' '--enable-pulse' '--enable-lirc' '--enable-a52' '--enable-aa' '--enable-dvbpsi' '--enable-mozilla' '--with-mozilla-pkg=libxul-plugin' '--disable-kde' '--enable-mp4' '--enable-dvb' '--disable-satellite' '--enable-ogg' '--enable-vorbis' '--enable-shout' '--enable-qt4' '--disable-slp' '--enable-flac' '--disable-skins' '--disable-basic-skins' '--enable-skins2' '--enable-freetype' '--enable-mkv' '--enable-speex' '--enable-caca' '--enable-live555' '--enable-libmpeg2' '--enable-fribidi' '--enable-cdio' '--enable-mod' '--enable-theora' '--enable-modplug' '--enable-dvdnav' '--enable-gnutls' '--enable-ffmpeg' '--enable-ncurses' '--enable-smb' '--disable-gnomevfs' '--enable-bonjour' '--enable-mpc' '--enable-vcd' '--enable-vcdx' '--enable-notify' '--enable-twolame' '--enable-x264' '--enable-faad' '--disable-zvbi' '--enable-telx' '--enable-mediacontrol-bindings' '--disable-atmo' '--enable-taglib' '--enable-libass' '--enable-libdca' '--enable-alsa' '--enable-dv' '--enable-v4l' '--enable-v4l2' '--enable-pvr' '--enable-svgalib' '--enable-dvd' '--without-dvdcss' 'build_alias=i486-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-g -O2' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,--as-needed' 'CPPFLAGS=' 'CXXFLAGS=-g -O2'
Inbound Port: 27225
Outbound Port: 31810
File "/usr/share/sopcast-player/lib/sopcast-player.py", line 760, in on_channel_treeview_row_activated
self.play_channel(self.selection[9], self.selection[1])
File "/usr/share/sopcast-player/lib/sopcast-player.py", line 1249, in play_channel
File "/usr/share/sopcast-player/lib/fork.py", line 51, in fork_sop
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/os.py", line 336, in execlp
execvp(file, args)
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/os.py", line 353, in execvp
_execvpe(file, args)
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/os.py", line 389, in _execvpe
func(fullname, *argrest)
python: ../../src/xcb_io.c:182: process_responses: Assertion `((int) (((dpy->last_request_read)) - ((dpy->request))) <= 0)' failed.
Aborted
suma@suma-empire:/etc/apt$ python: ../../src/xcb_io.c:182: process_responses: Assertion `((int) (((dpy->last_request_read)) - ((dpy->request))) <= 0)' failed.

flyguy97
July 11th, 2009, 06:19 AM
Running Ubuntu 8.04, 32bit, vlc 0.9.9a. I can launch sopcast-player, it opens the window, when I try to start any channel it just crashes. Could you please help me to fix this?

Green_Star,

It appears as though you many not have sp-auth installed or the binary is missing. If you installed SopCast Player with the deb install file it should have prompted you that sp-auth was required. If you have since deleted the file or otherwise corrupted the installation, I would suggest that you completely remove sp-auth with synaptic or aptitude and then reinstall. If you installed SopCast Player using source you will need to install sp-auth as well. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask. The instructions for installation can be found here (http://code.google.com/p/sopcast-player/wiki/Installation) and the installation files are here (http://http://code.google.com/p/sopcast-player/downloads/list).

Cheers,
Jason

flyguy97
July 11th, 2009, 06:22 AM
ok it just goes in an endless loop of connecting/retrying channel when copying and pasting link or clicking built in channels any help?

Most likely the channel is down. Please try a different channel. If you still have issues please don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers,
Jason

flyguy97
July 11th, 2009, 06:26 AM
Hello

And thankyou to the genius who did this.

It think it was half a dozen mouse clicks to get it running and now I am watching tv on my pc

And, I am greedy for asking this, but I like my sci-fi and I was wondering what other channels this had to offer for free?

RAR

RAR,

I'm glad you like the program. I have not been able to find any other reliable resource for additional channels. Google is the only alternative but it is very hit or miss.

Cheers,
Jason

note32
July 11th, 2009, 06:27 AM
it keeps failing to open for me

Green_Star
July 11th, 2009, 09:19 AM
Green_Star,

It appears as though you many not have sp-auth installed or the binary is missing. If you installed SopCast Player with the deb install file it should have prompted you that sp-auth was required. If you have since deleted the file or .....

You rocks flyguy, some how my sp-auth is missing, I reinstalled it. Thank you. now everything working fine.

flyguy97
July 11th, 2009, 11:54 AM
You rocks flyguy, some how my sp-auth is missing, I reinstalled it. Thank you. now everything working fine.

Good to hear its working for you, enjoy!

Cheers,
Jason

flyguy97
July 11th, 2009, 11:59 AM
it keeps failing to open for me

note32,

Can you be more specific? Please tell me what you are trying to do. Also, please let me know what happens if you try to use it from the command line. Most errors are reported to the console on fail. Run it the following way from the console:

$ sopcast-player

Cheers,
Jason

flyguy97
July 13th, 2009, 07:00 AM
All,

I have completed the initial work of rehosting the channel guide on google app engine. You can see the completed work at http://sopcast-player.appspot.com/gchlxml. However, I need help from anyone who is well versed in Google App Engine. One of the design decisions I made regarding the rehost effort was to refresh the channel guide once every 5 minutes from the sopcast.com servers. I was unable to meet my goal of every 5 minutes and now I only update once every 30 minutes due to high CPU usage, every refresh takes up about 1% of my CPU usage allowance. If anyone can take a look at my code and offer advice on how to stream-line CPU usage I would be grateful and, of course, your name will appear in the credits section of SopCast Player. Attached is the complete code for the rehost.

Cheers,
Jason

jose187
July 19th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Hello!

I need some help

I'm trying to access a sop:// channel through firefox but I'm not having much luck.

I have already done the about:config bit and created the sopper shell.

The browser then asks me if i want to use sopper to open it or crowse for something else.

This is where the problem is.

I try to chose sopper, but it won't let me. I can choose other stuff, click ok, and the window dissapears. But when i try to choose sopper the window is still there even after pressing OK...

Any ideas?

oogmsn
August 1st, 2009, 06:03 PM
Need help here...I managed to install the sopcast player...but I cant seem to get any channel list whenever I click on the refresh...the channel guide URL seems to be indicated as http://www.sopcast.com/gchlxml

Also I cant seem to automatically open this sopcast player from firefox links e.g. sop://broker1.sopcast.com:3912/30931
Nothing happens...anyone can help...

oogmsn
August 2nd, 2009, 05:02 PM
I've managed to launch the channel manually via terminal by running it something like this

sopcast-player sop://broker.sopcast.com:3912/6002 8901 8902

I was wondering if there is an easy way to automate this so that whenever I click on a soplink from firefox it can redirect it into this format?

iakov
August 8th, 2009, 04:06 AM
Also I cant seem to automatically open this sopcast player from firefox links e.g. sop://broker1.sopcast.com:3912/30931

When you make sure that Sopcast is functional, close it.
Here's what I did to open sop:// protocol links automatically in Firefox:

In Firefox, in the Location bar, type about:config and press Enter.
Right-click anywhere in the grid, choose New, then String.
In the Enter the preference name prompt, type in network.protocol-handler.app.sop and press OK.
In the Enter string value prompt, type sopcast-player and press OK.
Try to open sop:// link on your favorite website and you will be presented with dialog box where you can search location of sopcast player. Navigate to ~/usr/bin and point to sopcast-player and click OK.
OK out of dialog box and now all sop:// links should open sopcast player automatically.

Please note that parts 5 and 6 were written from memory so some of the wording might be incorrect but it should be pretty intuitive.

Hope this helps
Iakov.

centos
August 15th, 2009, 08:18 PM
Hello.
I've installed both packages but can't get it to work.
Running from terminal it shows "timed out" after trying to reload channels (I don't see any).
Running from Opera after clicking sop link it's just buffering and nothing happens. Any help will be appreciated.

flyguy97
August 15th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Hello.
I've installed both packages but can't get it to work.
Running from terminal it shows "timed out" after trying to reload channels (I don't see any).
Running from Opera after clicking sop link it's just buffering and nothing happens. Any help will be appreciated.

centos,

The application is probably functioning fine. The channel server is over-worked. I am working on a solution that will rehost the channel guide on Google App Engine. The issue with the player saying buffering and not progressing usually indicates an issue with the channel. My best advice is to try a new channel. I hope to complete the rehost of the channel server within the next couple of months. I will keep everyone posted.

Cheers,
Jason

centos
August 15th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Thanks for reply. I've tried several sop links from myp2p.eu, all with the same effect. I suppose that's not good, is it?

flyguy97
August 15th, 2009, 09:23 PM
Thanks for reply. I've tried several sop links from myp2p.eu, all with the same effect. I suppose that's not good, is it?

Try launching from the terminal, if there is any problem with your setup they will definitely be reported at the terminal on startup.

Jason

urosg3
August 19th, 2009, 07:36 AM
I have problem installing player. I download sp-auth_3.0.1_i386.deb for my Ubuntu 9.04 and I install deb package.That works fine. Then i cant find menu entry for player anywhere in menu list.
Solution?

centos
August 19th, 2009, 08:58 AM
Try launching from the terminal, if there is any problem with your setup they will definitely be reported at the terminal on startup.

Jason

I've done nothing, but reloading channels works now. I've also tried two sopcast links from Opera (for more I'll have to wait until evening when more sports are played) and all I've got was reloading channel. In terminal it was "inbound port xxx; outbound port xxx" over and over. I'll try later.

flyguy97
August 19th, 2009, 05:13 PM
I have problem installing player. I download sp-auth_3.0.1_i386.deb for my Ubuntu 9.04 and I install deb package.That works fine. Then i cant find menu entry for player anywhere in menu list.
Solution?

If you are using gnome use alacarte to see if someone has disabled the sound and video menu. Let me know what you come up with.

Jason

gotunandan
August 19th, 2009, 09:14 PM
Works well for me on Hardy... watching premierleague football right now !

gotunandan
August 21st, 2009, 12:57 PM
Hey could you to put some help on the code.google.com on how to create the .deb package. I am trying my hand at learning packaging and I wanted to have a go at packaging Sopcast :)
Thanks !

flyguy97
August 21st, 2009, 04:34 PM
Hey could you to put some help on the code.google.com on how to create the .deb package. I am trying my hand at learning packaging and I wanted to have a go at packaging Sopcast :)
Thanks !

I will put together something and post it on google code. I can't give you a timeline for this. I will post a message on this board when I complete it.

Jason

urosg3
August 23rd, 2009, 01:39 AM
If you are using gnome use alacarte to see if someone has disabled the sound and video menu. Let me know what you come up with.

Jason

Yes, i`m using GNOME. I solved my problem, with help of serbian LoCo forum. They provide me some qsopcast front-end and that worked fine.
Tnx for help.

flyguy97
August 23rd, 2009, 12:36 PM
All,

Good news, I completed the channel guide rehost. The idea behind rehosting the channel guide was to give the user a better experience when refreshing the channel guide. When the channel guide is pulled from sopcast.com it would fail about half the time leaving users upset that they are unable to get the latest channel guide (one of the most often reported issues of sopcast player). With the rehost, a copy of the channel guide is hosted on google app engine and is update every 5 minutes, if the channel guide is unable to be downloaded from sopcast.com app engine will serve the last known good version of the channel guide. The drawbacks to this service is that the channel guide may go out of date by a few hours, or, in the worse case, a few days. But if app engine was unable to download the channel guide, sopcast player would be unable to as well. At least with the rehost you will always be able to pull something from app engine. The address for the rehost is http://sopcast-player.appspot.com/gchlxml. I will be running load tests on the rehost over the next week, depending on how these tests go I will put out a new update which will change the default channel guide to the app engine rehost. Feel free to use the rehost in SopCast Player, just go to Edit -> Preferences, click on the Channel Guide tab and change the Channel Guide URL to http://sopcast-player.appspot.com/gchlxml. I hope this will vastly improve the user experience.

Cheers,
Jason

ssri
August 24th, 2009, 07:25 PM
Anyone having any problems using sopcast player 0.3.0 (http://code.google.com/p/sopcast-player/) with VLC 1.0.1? The player loads the sop link fine, but nothing else happens. Furthermore, vlc cannot start up. VLC 0.9.9a works okay, except it opens an external window rather than one embedded in the viewer like v0.9.4.

flyguy97
August 24th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Anyone having any problems using sopcast player 0.3.0 (http://code.google.com/p/sopcast-player/) with VLC 1.0.1? The player loads the sop link fine, but nothing else happens. Furthermore, vlc cannot start up. VLC 0.9.9a works okay, except it opens an external window rather than one embedded in the viewer like v0.9.8.

What os are you using?

ssri
August 24th, 2009, 09:26 PM
What os are you using?

Kubuntu Jaunty
KDE 4.3.0
QT 4.5.2

Everything worked fine with VLC v0.9.4 (amended earlier post). However, VLC v1.0.1 has much better wmv support.

flyguy97
August 25th, 2009, 03:22 AM
Kubuntu Jaunty
KDE 4.3.0
QT 4.5.2

Everything worked fine with VLC v0.9.4 (amended earlier post). However, VLC v1.0.1 has much better wmv support.

How did you install v 1.0.1? I'm assuming you didn't get it from the medibuntu repos.

ssri
August 25th, 2009, 08:20 AM
How did you install v 1.0.1? I'm assuming you didn't get it from the medibuntu repos.

c-korn's ppa via http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-ubuntu.html

flyguy97
August 25th, 2009, 09:00 PM
c-korn's ppa via http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-ubuntu.html

I think I've been able to replicate the problem. I installed VLC from the repo you pointed out, now when I launch a link all I get is a green screen with no audio or anything else, is this similar to what you are experiencing?

ssri
August 27th, 2009, 05:04 AM
I think I've been able to replicate the problem. I installed VLC from the repo you pointed out, now when I launch a link all I get is a green screen with no audio or anything else, is this similar to what you are experiencing?

Somewhat similar. When I launch a link, I get a gray background with no audio even though I see the datastream buffering between 90-100%. Normally, with lower versions of vlc, I can see the video onscreen (v0.9.4) or I have to launch vlc externally and enter the url (ie. http://localhost/tv.asf) in vlc (v0.9.9a). Unfortunately, I am able to do neither with v1.0.1, let alone run vlc when sopcast is running.

flyguy97
August 27th, 2009, 06:53 AM
Somewhat similar. When I launch a link, I get a gray background with no audio even though I see the datastream buffering between 90-100%. Normally, with lower versions of vlc, I can see the video onscreen (v0.9.4) or I have to launch vlc externally and enter the url (ie. http://localhost/tv.asf) in vlc (v0.9.9a). Unfortunately, I am able to do neither with v1.0.1, let alone run vlc when sopcast is running.

When you open externally, are you using the functionality that's built into SopCast Player to do that, or are you opening VLC yourself and opening the address manually?

ssri
August 27th, 2009, 07:49 AM
When you open externally, are you using the functionality that's built into SopCast Player to do that, or are you opening VLC yourself and opening the address manually?

Okay, this is weird. So, I'm in a new session from a restart, start up sopcast-player in terminal and now I see video in the main player when using vlc v1.0.1 (albeit with another external window titled X11 output). Must've been something that happened in the previous session.

Back to your question, during the session when vlc v1.0.1 did not work, I downgrade to v0.9.9a and found the url when starting sopcast-player in terminal. I forgot what was the message, but I believe sopcast-player referred to vlc not starting up or it not being able to call vlc to open a url. Again, something externally might have happened during the session where sopcast+vlc went awry.

Also, during that aforementioned session, frustrated I enabled the external mplayer option, which worked for a bit until it froze my X-session. I had to do a hard reset since sysreq+REISUB did not work.. strange...

flyguy97
August 27th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Okay, this is weird. So, I'm in a new session from a restart, start up sopcast-player in terminal and now I see video in the main player when using vlc v1.0.1 (albeit with another external window titled X11 output). Must've been something that happened in the previous session.

Back to your question, during the session when vlc v1.0.1 did not work, I downgrade to v0.9.9a and found the url when starting sopcast-player in terminal. I forgot what was the message, but I believe sopcast-player referred to vlc not starting up or it not being able to call vlc to open a url. Again, something externally might have happened during the session where sopcast+vlc went awry.

Also, during that aforementioned session, frustrated I enabled the external mplayer option, which worked for a bit until it froze my X-session. I had to do a hard reset since sysreq+REISUB did not work.. strange...

I apologize but I can't follow what you are saying in the second paragraph. I'm not sure what you mean when you say you found the url in the terminal. But I am pretty sure version 1+ is having an issue playing asf streams. I tried to set up playing with an external VLC instance through both SopCast Player and manually. In either case I was unable to see anything except a green screen with no audio. I have a guy that works on the VLC project, I will see if this is something that is known or if I need to post a bug. Again, thank you for your report, I will keep you posted.

bornagainpenguin
August 27th, 2009, 08:02 PM
Anyone seeing the vlc dependency not installable error should do a search for the VLC PPA and update their VLC player, then the SOPcast Player will become installable.

--bornagainpenguin

ssri
August 27th, 2009, 11:50 PM
I apologize but I can't follow what you are saying in the second paragraph. I'm not sure what you mean when you say you found the url in the terminal. But I am pretty sure version 1+ is having an issue playing asf streams. I tried to set up playing with an external VLC instance through both SopCast Player and manually. In either case I was unable to see anything except a green screen with no audio. I have a guy that works on the VLC project, I will see if this is something that is known or if I need to post a bug. Again, thank you for your report, I will keep you posted.

What I meant is that I ran sopcast via konsole

~$sopcast-player

For vlc v0.9.9a, when running this command, there will be an output message saying that vlc cannot be opened and the corresponding url for the video stream of sopcast-player is displayed. Then I open vlc through my gui and copy+paste the url into vlc (media->open network stream). After doing that, I can see the stream. If you continue to encounter problems with sopcast and vlc v1.0.1, it would be great if you can submit a bug report. Thanks for testing vlc v1.0.1! :)

Checcux
September 20th, 2009, 12:41 AM
Hi all,

I have a similar problem playing a lot of channels for sopcast on myp2p.eu.
Channel buffer is up to 100% but i get a grey window and no sound.

Again, i noted that:

Sopcast player works with VLC 1.0.1, but only on some channel (see SS):

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/9887/immaginepf.th.jpg (http://img185.imageshack.us/i/immaginepf.jpg/)

Sopcast player does not work with H.264 channels with VLC 1.0.1 (or other players like mplayer, see SS):

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/7203/immagine2rv.th.jpg (http://img245.imageshack.us/i/immagine2rv.jpg/)

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/967/sop1.th.png (http://img199.imageshack.us/i/sop1.png/)

My questions: Is H264 supported on this linux version of sopcast? May the channels linked on myp2p.eu be encoded with H264?

Best regards,

PS: sorry for my bad english ;)

flyguy97
September 20th, 2009, 08:46 AM
Checcux,

The Sopcast website says the version of the client software for linux is version 3.0.1 which would seem to be incompatible with H.264 since the Windows client, version 3.2.4, added support for H.264. Sorry for the dispappointing answer. I will contact the Sopcast client author and ask if an updated version of the linux client is in the works.

Cheers,
Jason

Hi all,

I have a similar problem playing a lot of channels for sopcast on myp2p.eu.
Channel buffer is up to 100% but i get a grey window and no sound.

Again, i noted that:

Sopcast player works with VLC 1.0.1, but only on some channel (see SS):

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/9887/immaginepf.th.jpg (http://img185.imageshack.us/i/immaginepf.jpg/)

Sopcast player does not work with H.264 channels with VLC 1.0.1 (or other players like mplayer, see SS):

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/7203/immagine2rv.th.jpg (http://img245.imageshack.us/i/immagine2rv.jpg/)

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/967/sop1.th.png (http://img199.imageshack.us/i/sop1.png/)

My questions: Is H264 supported on this linux version of sopcast? May the channels linked on myp2p.eu be encoded with H264?

Best regards,

PS: sorry for my bad english ;)

Checcux
September 20th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Thanks for your quick reply ;)

Your sopcast player GUI is quite good. I hate to switch on windows... :(

Regards,
Checcux

tzepu
October 19th, 2009, 03:45 PM
i met a problem trying to install it
i run kubuntu 9.10 beta and there are unmet dependencies that i couldn't solve
when trying to install sp_auth.... file it requires a library that is obsolete version 5, i already have version 6-4 installed
any advice?

flyguy97
October 19th, 2009, 04:50 PM
when trying to install sp_auth.... file it requires a library that is obsolete version 5, i already have version 6-4 installed
any advice?

When you installed the 6-4 was it from source or was it part of the standard Ubuntu repos?

ikisham
October 22nd, 2009, 03:46 PM
First of all, thank you for this. I haven't installed already but p2p video is really democratic.

I'm installing it on antiX (Debian testing). Already installed sp-auth (had to download libstdc++5 - the system one is libstdc++6 - but all went fine). Now I have the option to install sopcast-player with or without vlc python bindings. I don't know if my VLC has these python bindings. Would it be adverse if I installed with 'install-all' instead of just 'install'?

My VLC is 1.0.2

Package: vlc
Priority: optional
Section: video
Installed-Size: 3724
Maintainer: Debian multimedia packages maintainers <pkg-multimedia-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Version: 1.0.2-1
Replaces: vlc-nox (<< 0.9.2-1)
Provides: mp3-decoder
Depends: vlc-nox (= 1.0.2-1), libaa1 (>= 1.4p5), libc6 (>= 2.8), libdbus-1-3 (>= 1.0.2), libfreetype6 (>= 2.2.1), libfribidi0 (>= 0.10.9), libgcc1 (>= 1:4.1.1), libgl1-mesa-glx | libgl1, libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.12.0), libgtk2.0-0 (>= 2.8.0), libnotify1 (>= 0.4.5), libnotify1-gtk2.10, libqtcore4 (>= 4:4.5.2), libqtgui4 (>= 4:4.5.2), libsdl-image1.2 (>= 1.2.5), libsdl1.2debian (>= 1.2.10-1), libstdc++6 (>= 4.2.1), libtar, libvlccore2 (>= 1.0.0~rc1), libx11-6, libxext6, libxinerama1, libxv1, libxxf86vm1, zlib1g (>= 1:1.2.3.3.dfsg), ttf-dejavu-core
Suggests: mozilla-plugin-vlc, videolan-doc
Conflicts: vlc-nox (<< 0.9.2-1)
Filename: pool/main/v/vlc/vlc_1.0.2-1_i386.deb
Size: 1606036
MD5sum: aabbf2b549b4cea2c2cdb7d9ea43eca0
SHA1: 7ed4b4f3aac5d7073408d5ccadd379574be59a25
SHA256: e0bad4e88c64bb2ddba3697370613b372598869b1bfc4631b1 3205b1749a8408
Description: multimedia player and streamer
VLC is the VideoLAN project's media player. It plays MPEG, MPEG2, MPEG4,
DivX, MOV, WMV, QuickTime, mp3, Ogg/Vorbis files, DVDs, VCDs, and multimedia
streams from various network sources.
VLC can also be used as a streaming server that duplicates the stream it
reads and multicasts them through the network to other clients, or serves
them through HTTP.
VLC has support for on-the-fly transcoding of audio and video formats, either
for broadcasting purposes or for movie format transformations. Support for
most output methods is provided by this package, but features can be added
by installing additional audio plugins (vlc-plugin-pulse, vlc-plugin-sdl)
or video plugins (vlc-plugin-sdl, vlc-plugin-ggi, vlc-plugin-svgalib). There
is also a web browser plugin in the mozilla-plugin-vlc package.
Homepage: http://www.videolan.org/vlc
Tag: interface::x11, protocol::ipv6, protocol::ssl, role::program, scope::application, sound::compression, sound::player, uitoolkit::ncurses, uitoolkit::wxwidgets, use::converting, use::playing, works-with::audio, works-with::video, works-with-format::{mp3,oggtheora,oggvorbis,wav}

Also, just to know, I'm guessing I can open sopcast streams from the command line without sopcast-player (only sp-auth). If it's so, how would I open http://suprememastertv.com/webtv/sopcast.php ?

Regards.

CupofDice
October 24th, 2009, 01:25 AM
Hey guys. I get video, no problem, but not sound. Any ideas? I tried setting vlc to alsa, but that didn't work.

Edit: Sound is now working.

chaopoch
October 25th, 2009, 02:30 PM
I just upgraded Ubuntu 9.04 to 9.10, and the vlc version is 1.0.2, now the Sopcast Player will not integrate the vlc into its interface, how can I solve this problem? thanks.

Here is the screenshot attached for your reference.

joanmunoz
November 1st, 2009, 05:29 PM
any advice?

Hi!

I have the same problem. I installed that library from standard Ubuntu repos. Any help?

Linux joan-laptop 2.6.31-14-generic #48-Ubuntu SMP Fri Oct 16 14:04:26 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux

Thanks!

flyguy97
November 1st, 2009, 05:41 PM
Hi!

I have the same problem. I installed that library from Ubuntu sources. Any help?

Linux joan-laptop 2.6.31-14-generic #48-Ubuntu SMP Fri Oct 16 14:04:26 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux

Thanks!

All,

Please be patient, I know there are some issues with using SopCast Player with Ubuntu 9.10, I am working on upgrading my distribution to 9.10 as I type this (only 3 more hours until everything is downloaded, BT broadband is well below par). The issues with the dual VLC screens has to do with a change in the Python bindings, shouldn't be hard to resolve. The issue with the C++ library is a little more difficult to pin down, for some reason version 5 of the library has been removed in Karmic, I will see if it simply a matter of changing requirements or if I will have to make a PPA that will house the old library. In any event I am hoping to have a new version of SopCast Player by the end of the week so I can package it during the weekend. As a side note, the change to the Python bindings will mean it is no longer necessary to compile, this could result in merging the two packages (x86 and 64-bit). Sorry for the inconvenience.

Cheers,
Jason

flyguy97
November 2nd, 2009, 12:08 AM
All,

Please be patient, I know there are some issues with using SopCast Player with Ubuntu 9.10, I am working on upgrading my distribution to 9.10 as I type this (only 3 more hours until everything is downloaded, BT broadband is well below par). The issues with the dual VLC screens has to do with a change in the Python bindings, shouldn't be hard to resolve. The issue with the C++ library is a little more difficult to pin down, for some reason version 5 of the library has been removed in Karmic, I will see if it simply a matter of changing requirements or if I will have to make a PPA that will house the old library. In any event I am hoping to have a new version of SopCast Player by the end of the week so I can package it during the weekend. As a side note, the change to the Python bindings will mean it is no longer necessary to compile, this could result in merging the two packages (x86 and 64-bit). Sorry for the inconvenience.

Cheers,
Jason

All,

The problem with the dual windows has been fixed, now the only video that shows up is at the expected main player. However, there is some difficulties with the sp-sc package. I am not sure why but the libstdc++5 library has been removed from the standard Ubuntu repositories, I will have to create a ppa that will satisfy that requirement. I am not really sure when I will be able to complete this as I have never had to do it before, if anyone would like to create a package for libstdc++5 I would be glad to host it out of my ppa, please let me know.

Cheers,
Jason

flyguy97
November 2nd, 2009, 07:17 AM
All,

The problem with the dual windows has been fixed, now the only video that shows up is at the expected main player. However, there is some difficulties with the sp-sc package. I am not sure why but the libstdc++5 library has been removed from the standard Ubuntu repositories, I will have to create a ppa that will satisfy that requirement. I am not really sure when I will be able to complete this as I have never had to do it before, if anyone would like to create a package for libstdc++5 I would be glad to host it out of my ppa, please let me know.

Cheers,
Jason

An updated version of SopCast Player is now available through subversion, I will hopefully get to work on packaging sometime this weekend. To get a preview issue the following command to download the source.

svn checkout http://sopcast-player.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ sopcast-player

To run it use the following command

sopcast-player/lib/sopcast-player.py

Please let me know if you have any issues running the preview, if reported in time I will be able to merge a fix before I create the binary packages.

Cheers,
Jason

flyguy97
November 2nd, 2009, 06:27 PM
Attached is a pre-release of SopCast Player 0.3.1, can as many people as possible give it a try to make sure the video issues are sorted out? I would really like it if people using different releases could confirm if it still backwards compatible. Thank you.

Cheers,
Jason

chunchengch
November 3rd, 2009, 03:42 AM
Attached is a pre-release of SopCast Player 0.3.1, can as many people as possible give it a try to make sure the video issues are sorted out?...

The problem with the dual windows is solved, thanks.

... I am not sure why but the libstdc++5 library has been removed from the standard Ubuntu repositories, I will have to create a ppa that will satisfy that requirement. I am not really sure when I will be able to complete this as I have never had to do it before, if anyone would like to create a package for libstdc++5 I would be glad to host it out of my ppa, please let me know...

There is a deb available here http://packages.debian.org/stable/base/libstdc++5

joanmunoz
November 3rd, 2009, 10:42 AM
Hi!

Video issues solved. Everything fine.

Thanks!

Joan

realzippy
November 3rd, 2009, 01:31 PM
Attached is a pre-release of SopCast Player 0.3.1, can as many people as possible give it a try to make sure the video issues are sorted out? I would really like it if people using different releases could confirm if it still backwards compatible. Thank you.

Cheers,
Jason

Will there be a 64bit edition also?

flyguy97
November 3rd, 2009, 01:33 PM
Will there be a 64bit edition also?

SopCast Player is now 100% python, it shouldn't make a difference what architecture. Please try it out and let me know.

Cheers,
Jason

realzippy
November 3rd, 2009, 01:35 PM
it says "wrong architecture"...

flyguy97
November 3rd, 2009, 01:44 PM
it says "wrong architecture"...

I sent you a pm. For all other 64-bit users, I asked realzippy to try an alternative installation procedure, if it works out I will publish the instructions on here and my project home page at google code.

Cheers,
Jason

realzippy
November 3rd, 2009, 01:55 PM
Works!!:popcorn:

Means it installs fine,but,unfortunately,cannot reach any sender.

flyguy97
November 3rd, 2009, 02:23 PM
All,

I am pleased to announce I have set-up a PPA that will aid in installation and receiving future updates. Please go to my PPA (https://launchpad.net/~jason-scheunemann/+archive/ppa) page on LaunchPad for instructions on how to configure your computer to work with my PPA (https://launchpad.net/~jason-scheunemann/+archive/ppa). Thank you to all of you who tested the pre-release, so far I haven't heard of any issues.

*NOTE*: If you are a new user of SopCast Player you will need to manually satisfy the sp-auth dependency before installing sopcast-player due to licensing issues (sp-auth is not open source). Please visit http://code.google.com/p/sopcast-player/downloads/list to find a package that matches your architecture.

realzippy
November 3rd, 2009, 05:24 PM
Works!!:popcorn:

Means it installs fine,but,unfortunately,cannot reach any sender.

This was for Karmic 64bit.
Produced this error:

sp-sc: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file

tried do set some links,cause libstdc++.so.5 is installed,but no luck.

Can anybody confirm/test for Karmic 64 please?!

So I booted my old Intrepid 64 bit,and it works perfectly!:D
I do not have a Jaunty to test,skipped that...

empax
November 4th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Very nice =) I installed x64. for ubuntu 9.04
But i want to wach Turkish TV too. is it possible ?
Thanks.

Edit:
I found. CTRL+O and add link of the channels.:D it's simple sorry.

ian2112
November 8th, 2009, 02:54 AM
Hello,

I believe I have sopcast installed correctly (9.10) but it keeps trying to conect / retry any channel or link that I try.

I'm not that technically savy so most of my setings would be default. I was thinking somewhere a port was blocked but my router config is pretty much default.

Anything I could try, or look at that might help troubleshoot?

Much appreciated!
Ian.

flyguy97
November 8th, 2009, 09:28 AM
Hello,

I believe I have sopcast installed correctly (9.10) but it keeps trying to conect / retry any channel or link that I try.

I'm not that technically savy so most of my setings would be default. I was thinking somewhere a port was blocked but my router config is pretty much default.

Anything I could try, or look at that might help troubleshoot?

Much appreciated!
Ian.

The good news is everything appears to be installed correctly, (btw did you use the PPA?). Try opening SopCast Player and then going to File -> Open and then enter sop://202.190.75.151:3912/16499 (this channel always seems to work) in the Sop Address field. Let me know how it goes.

Cheers,
Jason

thunderbear
November 8th, 2009, 01:02 PM
hi

i'm using karmic64 with all the updates just tried your sopcast link doesnt work for me

just sits there retrying on karmic64, works fine on my shuttle running karmic32, so def a 64bit related problem, i'll reinstall and try again...

ian2112
November 9th, 2009, 02:03 AM
The good news is everything appears to be installed correctly, (btw did you use the PPA?). Try opening SopCast Player and then going to File -> Open and then enter sop://202.190.75.151:3912/16499 (this channel always seems to work) in the Sop Address field. Let me know how it goes.

Cheers,
Jason

Thanks for the suggestion, Jason. I tried the address above and experienced the same issue connecting... retrying...

Yes, I used the PPA.

Any other thoughts or suggestions? I suspect it's not sopcast but something in between blocking the connection...

Again thanks,
Ian.

ssdt
November 9th, 2009, 03:45 PM
could anyone please give me an update if it works if you click on channels from myp2p.eu and such? i need to see channels from that site.