PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever heard of somebody using Linux because their games don't work in Windows

Virtualboxbuntu
January 7th, 2009, 02:09 AM
We've all heard of people using Windows because their games don't work in Linux. But what about the other way around?

I have at least one game that runs almost perfectly in Wine (fullscreen doesn't work, I suspect that it has something to do with Avant Window Navigator). Strangely, it doesn't work in Windows.

So I could say that I need Linux for games. Anybody else heard of this?

Please, no criticizing either operating system, or anything else that will make the mods close the thread.

damis648
January 7th, 2009, 02:11 AM
If the game runs in Wine... wouldn't it in fact run in Windows? ;-)

Bölvağur
January 7th, 2009, 02:13 AM
no but I hear ppl that rather play games on linux than windy (my newest short for windows for better distinguish between actual windows and windows), but not as an ultimate decider on that matter.

cardinals_fan
January 7th, 2009, 02:15 AM
Greed works in Windows, but only using cygwin. So yes, my favorite non-online game (Shredder Chess is my overall winner) is Linux-native.

oldsoundguy
January 7th, 2009, 02:22 AM
Actually, in a way yes. Windows machine crashes and will not boot(not all that uncommon if not properly maintained with several hours of time and effort each week).
Need to get Windows machine up and running.
Use Linux boot disk to recover all of the data and files that it can and move them to another drive.
Fdisk and format the Windows drive.
Re-install Windows and all of the recovered programs.

Done by repair shops all the time. (for a pretty penny, I might add)

So from that day forward using a Windows machine, that if it were not for Linux, would have been traded in on something or given to a charity or tossed in the garbage. If that something is playing games ............

qamelian
January 7th, 2009, 02:25 AM
Well, I have a few games that worked in XP and run well in Wine, but that refuse to run in Vista no matter how much tweaking is done to improve compatibility. Omikron: Nomad Soul comes to mind.

cardinals_fan
January 7th, 2009, 02:27 AM
Actually, in a way yes. Windows machine crashes and will not boot(not all that uncommon if not properly maintained with several hours of time and effort each week).
Need to get Windows machine up and running.
Use Linux boot disk to recover all of the data and files that it can and move them to another drive.
Fdisk and format the Windows drive.
Re-install Windows and all of the recovered programs.

Done by repair shops all the time. (for a pretty penny, I might add)

So from that day forward using a Windows machine, that if it were not for Linux, would have been traded in on something or given to a charity or tossed in the garbage. If that something is playing games ............
I get the feeling something is seriously wrong with your machine if you had those kinds of problems.

Viranh
January 7th, 2009, 02:33 AM
Yes. Spore, and any other game/program using Securom for DRM. My Windows machine is unstable(bluescreen, tendency to freeze, won't let me install programs, the game in question crashes) with Securom and I have to format to get rid of it (then it is fine), but the same games are fine in wine on the same computer.

Trail
January 7th, 2009, 09:34 AM
I was playing Grim Fandago during the recent vacations. On windows it would not display the character models correctly (neither on software or hardware rendering), which greatly pissed me off. I tried to play it on Linux afterwards, and the models worked normally. Sound on windows might be stuck looping endlessly either randomly or when accessing the game menu, and on linux it might get stuck randomly, but worked when i accessed the game menu.