PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Alternative to Nautilus Desktop Icons...

icanfly0307
January 7th, 2009, 01:48 AM
Hi, I just noticed that Nautilus is taking 17MB of my RAM even when it's not running. I googled around a bit and I found that the Desktop Icons are controlled by Nautilus and that's what's taking up some much of my RAM. Is there an alternative way to having Desktop Icons without Nautilus? I really don't want to switch from GNOME, but I need the Desktop Icons... and they have to light on my system. I mean seriously, 17MB for Desktop Icons??? No Way!!!

Thanks.

Hackie2
January 7th, 2009, 02:12 AM
It is 11MB when just started any only used for desktop icons. But still a lot. Btw. same as windows does with explorer.exe task. You may switch to another app (tell me which) but if you still use nautilus as file manager i wonder if its really a good idea..

icanfly0307
January 7th, 2009, 02:48 AM
I'm trying LXDE right now. Does anyone know how to rearrange the icons order on the Desktop? I can't get them to swap around. Thx again.

adamlau
January 7th, 2009, 03:05 PM
No can do with the version available from the repos. You can always download and compile the latest version of LXAppearance. LXDE is modular, so you should be able to mix and match components without breakage. Next step for you is to move to Fluxbox/Openbox/Enlightenment :) .