View Full Version : [ubuntu] Speed problems with flash

kr651129
January 7th, 2009, 01:37 AM
Hi all,
Toshiba Satellite M45
Ubuntu 8.10 Desktop (Gnome)
2GB RAM
100 GB HDD

I'm having lag problems with flash in firefox, before I installed Ubuntu on my laptop as the primary OS I had XP and flash ran just fine, but with Ubuntu it has serious lag. Any thoughts? Thanks!

studo77
January 7th, 2009, 06:34 PM
Flash is slow on Linux. It is not well supported, so then you need a stronger cpu to get the same performance. I do not know how fast your pc is, as you do not say.
But generally Flash is slower.

Video is a little the same story, except it is not badly ported software, but drivers for the GPUs video chips.

Apart form these two points, there is little downsides on Ubuntu, in my opinion.

kr651129
January 7th, 2009, 11:28 PM
2.0GHz Pentium M dual core

I found a few tweaks that helped, I enabled the multi core support and I adjusted the memory a little. Seems to help but I noticed a new problem. Audio playback delay. This is not just in flash. It takes pidgin about 15 seconds or more to output IM sent or Im received. I did not have this problem in Gnome, but I installed xfce for speed and it seems to be having audio problems. I have two master volume control options in the tray as well as my dvd play back software is having troubles with any output at all. Thoughts?

dru3692
January 9th, 2009, 05:20 AM
I have a brand new machine that I just finished building. Nothing yet installed that could be consuming memory or resources yet flash seems to run slow in Ibex. Flash is fine in XP of course but just a little slower in linux. Not something I anticipated.

I am relatively new to ubuntu but I had some trouble getting the flash plugin for firefox to install initially. Have been thinking that I downloaded an old, or just plain wrong swf plugin.

Also, in firefox, many web pages boxes are gray with a PLAY symbol after the initial loading of the page. So, I have to click each play symbol to see all the flash content on the page. Anyone else have to deal with this? Know which setting to change to automatically load flash content on the page? Thanks.
dual core 3.0ghz
4gb RAM

hotweiss
January 9th, 2009, 09:20 AM
It's even worse with Flash 64 :(