PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Photoshop

vlastanovak
January 6th, 2009, 11:36 PM
Is it possible to install photoshop on ubuntu?

If so, how would one go about achieving such a feat?

Ubunt2u
January 6th, 2009, 11:47 PM
Is it possible to install photoshop on ubuntu?

If so, how would one go about achieving such a feat?

i suppose you could do it using Wine. Is it absolutely necessary to use photoshop? reason i'm asking is you can use gimp, which is very similar to photoshop, free & would certainly be easier to setup.

FetalShinobi
January 6th, 2009, 11:48 PM
i personally havent installed photoshop into ubuntu but i have heard from many friends that GIMP is just the same and its made for ubuntu....you might want to give it a try.....

also you can try to use wine (a windows emulator) and download photoshop into ubuntu then run the photoshop using wine.....

let me know how it went :-D

Mark Phelps
January 7th, 2009, 03:08 AM
You can't "install" a windows app in Ubuntu; however, you can do it in WINE. The real question, though, is how well WINE supports your windows app.

The link below is to a search of the Wine app database using "photoshop":

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=17

If you work your way up to the main DB link, you will see an explanation of the different ratings. Ideally, you want Platinum or Gold.

2hot6ft2
January 7th, 2009, 03:23 AM
Yes many have set up CS2 and CS3 using wine which both have Photoshop. Check the winehq link already given. Also you can use gimp as already stated above and if you want it to do even more check this out.
http://www.gimpshop.com/

I think it will be more than you could have hoped for and it's free. And you wont have to deal with wine.

The man X
January 7th, 2009, 11:13 AM
Thank all...Iam going to try that

Tomatz
January 7th, 2009, 11:18 AM
Yup! I run cs2 on wine, cs3 can also be run. Be sure to put a copy of the tahoma.ttf font in ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/Fonts. You can just copy all your fonts from your windows install and put them there. If you dont, things look ugly and are hard to read on higher resolution monitors.

timjohn7
January 7th, 2009, 11:41 AM
I strongly recommend using the GIMP. The learning curve is interesting, but it is a superb app and runs cleanly and quickly.
Beware of gimpshop as there are update issues and it broke my system.
Give the GIMP a try and you will be pleasantly surprised. There are excellent plugins and great support too.

Tomatz
January 7th, 2009, 12:13 PM
I strongly recommend using the GIMP. The learning curve is interesting, but it is a superb app and runs cleanly and quickly.
Beware of gimpshop as there are update issues and it broke my system.
Give the GIMP a try and you will be pleasantly surprised. There are excellent plugins and great support too.

Gimp is a nice app, it does all i need but it needs to address major flaws such as printing in cmyk.

timjohn7
January 7th, 2009, 12:51 PM
CMYK separation is catered for by installing the excellent plugin separate+
I have the link somewhere, but either google it or check the gimpusers forum.