PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] dell demension xps r450

thingy87654321
January 6th, 2009, 08:20 PM
will a dell demension xps r450 desktop computer with standard part be able to run ubuntu 8.10, this is the specs

pentium II processor
dell motherboard with up to date bios
136 mb of ram <--dont have a extra stick that works
visiontek video card(16 mb)
and a 12.9 gb harddrive, it runs xp fine, but will it run ubuntu 8.10 ok

and another question?
i have a 256 mb stick of ram but it only works on my old intel computer for some reason, and it shows up as 136 mb of ram when it is 256 mb of ram, it says on the sticker too, it used to work on all my computer but now only one, and it seems to be dieing, any solutions?

oilchangeguy
January 6th, 2009, 08:28 PM
will a dell demension xps r450 desktop computer with standard part be able to run ubuntu 8.10, this is the specs

pentium II processor
dell motherboard with up to date bios
136 mb of ram <--dont have a extra stick that works
visiontek video card(16 mb)
and a 12.9 gb harddrive, it runs xp fine, but will it run ubuntu 8.10 ok

and another question?
i have a 256 mb stick of ram but it only works on my old intel computer for some reason, and it shows up as 136 mb of ram when it is 256 mb of ram, it says on the sticker too, it used to work on all my computer but now only one, and it seems to be dieing, any solutions?

no, this computer will not run ubuntu. and ram can't "seem to be dying" it either works or it doesn't. buy another stick.

cariboo
January 6th, 2009, 08:31 PM
It looks like you have a defective ram module. Unfortunately Ubuntu v.8.10 will not run on a computer with such low specifications, to run Intrepid, I would suggest a computer than can run Vista, at the least.

If you want to install linux on the computer you mentioned, I would suggset either PuppyLinux (http://www.puppylinux.org/), or DSL (http://damnsmalllinux.org/).

I have installed both on the origional pentium processor based computers, and they are actually quite speedy.

Jim

thingy87654321
January 6th, 2009, 10:54 PM
thanks for the advice, but will it run any ubuntu distro like
kubuntu or ubuntu

i have kubuntu 8.04 and 8.10
and ubuntu 8.04 and 8.10
but will a older
version work on this pc?

oilchangeguy
January 6th, 2009, 11:02 PM
thanks for the advice, but will it run any ubuntu distro like
kubuntu or ubuntu

i have kubuntu 8.04 and 8.10
and ubuntu 8.04 and 8.10
but will a older
version work on this pc?

did you read post #2? no version of ubuntu will run on this computer. and poster #3 provided you with links to operating systems that would be a better fit.

overdrank
January 7th, 2009, 01:57 AM
Two post have been removed. Please let me remind of the COC

Be respectful of all users at all times. This means please use etiquette and politeness. Treat people with kindness and gentleness. If you do this the rest of the code of conduct won't need more than a cursory mention.

thingy87654321
January 7th, 2009, 05:08 PM
oilchangeguy, i cant buy a new stick, i cant find it in the local computer stores (compusa would have it but it closed) and i am 14 and dont have alot of money. thanks for the advice tho
it is a older type of ram