PDA

View Full Version : What kind of router should I get?

snkngshps
January 6th, 2009, 07:46 PM
I have an old linksys router that I've been using forever. It's pretty much on its last legs, I have to reset it often. I'm looking to get a new one and I was wondering what do you guys think is the best router to use? And are there any that work particularly better with Ubuntu (I used Wicd for connection management)? This is just for a personal, at home, me and my roommates type of LAN so it doesn't need to be anything super fancy but I want something reliable. My Linksys was notorious for failing.

TheAL76
January 6th, 2009, 07:51 PM
I just got an ASUS WL-520gU, and put DD-WRT firmware on it.

Runs like a champ.

mips
January 6th, 2009, 07:55 PM
ADSL, Cable or Ethernet? "Wired or Wireless" or "Wired & Wireless"? Encryption/Security required?

my_key
January 6th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Do you need wireless? If so a linksys wrt 54 GL is nice. It's designed for being easily hackable and running linux on it (different firmwares like openwrt or ddwrt).

mips
January 6th, 2009, 07:57 PM
ADSL, Cable or Ethernet?
"Wired or Wireless" or "Wired & Wireless"?
Encryption/Security required?

You really should try and be more specific.

snkngshps
January 6th, 2009, 08:00 PM
ADSL, Cable or Ethernet? "Wired or Wireless" or "Wired & Wireless"? Encryption/Security required?

Sorry, cable internet and primarily wireless, but I do need to have at least one wired connection for my xbox. Encryption/security not required.

shizakapayou
January 6th, 2009, 08:05 PM
Highly recommend the Linksys WRT54GL with DD-WRT installed. Solid as a rock, crazy uptimes. I'd also recommend at least WPA on the wireless.

Nxion
January 6th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Highly recommend the Linksys WRT54GL with DD-WRT installed. Solid as a rock, crazy uptimes. I'd also recommend at least WPA on the wireless.

+1 on this.

I had a WRT54GL since there initial release and it is still going strong! I recently retired it and went with a newer DraftN router.

Skripka
January 6th, 2009, 08:15 PM
I've never had luck with LinkSys products-routers cards or otherwise. YMMV, but I usually go for NetGear wireless routers.

snkngshps
January 6th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the help guys! It sounds like WRT54GL with DD-WRT is the way to go, some I'm going to give that a shot. I appreciate it!!

gnomeuser
January 6th, 2009, 09:14 PM
Thanks for the help guys! It sounds like WRT54GL with DD-WRT is the way to go, some I'm going to give that a shot. I appreciate it!!

I have one and might I add that I hate it. It's unstable and after a while it tends to start cutting my available bandwidth down to 10-20% of the actual capacity. I have tried multiple firmwares, all the hacks known to mankind, sadly this seems to be a common issue with this router model and the error is entirely down to the hardware.