PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Converting old Advent 3112 PC into a server

RobertBruce
January 6th, 2009, 07:16 PM
For a long while I have thought about building my own server and using UBUNTU.

The time has arrived. The old Advent 3112 is going to become a whizzbang home server.

The PC has a 60gb HDD which I do not want to use. Luckily Santa left a brand new shiny Hitachi Deskstar 250gb HDD in my Xmas stocking.

It is still in the box. I have downloaded and created the UBUNTU 8.10 Server install cd (image) and now....

My question is:

1. Can I simply secure the new HDD into its rack, power up the PC, pop the CD into the drive and hey presto, UBUNTU loads

or

2. What process must I carry out to the brand new HDD? Must I install some software like UBUNTU desktop or Windows or.....?

Sorry about this absolute dummy question. I am clueless and am seeking your expert advice on exactly what to do from the moment I secure the new HDD into its rack.

Hope you can help.

Many thanks

decoherence
January 6th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Install your hard drive, pop in the Ubuntu DVD and boot -- presto! (assuming that your PC is configured to boot off a CD/DVD)

The installer will walk you through preparing the drive. It's a very straight forward process, especially when you have a single, blank hard drive.

RobertBruce
January 7th, 2009, 05:55 PM
Many thanks Deco!

Only issue to resolve now is a new motherboard! Yessir, it went to that great soldering place in the sky this afternoon. Is it worth fixing is the question? But as it is over 4 years old, I think not.

I'm intending that the server be used by the villagers. Yes, a local server for local people. Must support gaming. Not for me you understand....:)

So anyone got any recommendations for a new motherboard...??! It's an ideal opportunity for me to blow £50ish so any help here will be gratefully received.

Kind regards

RB