PDA

View Full Version : Fubuntu? (Fluxbox..)

majikstreet
December 14th, 2005, 01:52 AM
Hey,
I was wondering if we could have an "fubuntu", like xubuntu, etc except fluxbox... I'd be willing to package the meta-package and do all stuff related to it, if I knew how... So, if anyone can recommend a way to get started or tell me more, I'll do it....

Just an idea..

-m

bored2k
December 14th, 2005, 01:59 AM
On a /. interview, M.S. said anyone willing to make variations of Ubuntu is appreciated and if necessary, helped.

majikstreet
December 14th, 2005, 02:03 AM
Great :) I actually did make a search of the forums and found a thread about it, but it wasn't too helpful.

BWF89
December 14th, 2005, 02:08 AM
You may want to reconsiter naming it Fubuntu. Because of the obious reasons.

What about FBubuntu?

unkemptwolf
December 14th, 2005, 02:12 AM
Maybe I'm missing something, but whats wrong with Fubuntu?

jdong
December 14th, 2005, 02:22 AM
IMO flubuntu sounds a LOT cooler :)

Give it like a slimy green theme... :)

jrib
December 14th, 2005, 02:23 AM
Hey,
I was wondering if we could have an "fubuntu", like xubuntu, etc except fluxbox... I'd be willing to package the meta-package and do all stuff related to it, if I knew how... So, if anyone can recommend a way to get started or tell me more, I'll do it....

Just an idea..

-m

You know I was thinking a similar thing today! I'm kind of in the same boat as you though. I don't really know too much about what to do. However, I'd be willing to help in any way I can, including learning what needs to be learned so we can get started on it. Winter break is coming up so I should have plenty of time.

Maybe I'm missing something, but whats wrong with Fubuntu?

FU-buntu, F and U besides one another usually is not good. I didn't see it until it was pointed out that there was some problem though.

yeah I like that name too

teaker1s
December 14th, 2005, 02:28 AM
fluxbox is avaliable if you have universe repositories enabled
with synaptic

arpunk
December 14th, 2005, 02:35 AM
So is xfce4 and it has its own branch (xubuntu) :P

It would be cool to see flubuntu working. Fluxbox is a cool window manager and it will run in old hardware, probably flubuntu could be targetted to run in old machines? :P

benplaut
December 14th, 2005, 02:39 AM
heh... and in #ubuntu, the bot is sick... ubotflu is it's name ;)

Gadren
December 14th, 2005, 03:02 AM
:D I haven't used Fluxbox, but a few hours ago I had been thinking how good a name Flubuntu is...

Weird that so many people have mentioned that same name...perhaps it means something. :P

fuscia
December 14th, 2005, 04:40 AM
post cancelled.

Hygelac
December 14th, 2005, 05:02 AM
Fubuntu? That would be neat. I like Fluxbox. I don't know about the name 'Flubuntu' though (I think that the F U in 'Fubuntu' is less obvious than the FLU in 'Flubuntu,' which makes me feel sick just typing it :???: ).

bored2k
December 14th, 2005, 05:08 AM
I'd agree with Dong on Flubuntu.
Green slimy colors? sure.
http://www.genesisproject-online.com/Genesis/B/Boogerman.gif

WildTangent
December 14th, 2005, 05:17 AM
I'd agree with Dong on Flubuntu.
Green slimy colors? sure.
http://www.genesisproject-online.com/Genesis/B/Boogerman.gif
I remember that game...good times...

On the matter of F(l)ubuntu...I think this whole naming convention is starting to become somewhat of a gimmick...it's like a joke that got old... sorry

Don't really like flux much anyway...Icewm is pretty cool though :)

-Wild

arcanistherogue
December 14th, 2005, 05:20 AM
I think IceWMubuntu would be much better <_<

Perhaps it could not just be flux, but other window managers like enlightenment, blackbox, icewm? like a big selection of the lesser known ones, that would be interesting.

Just my two cents.

IYY
December 14th, 2005, 07:49 AM
I think this is a great idea. Make a lighter Ubuntu running Fluxbox or IceWM. The thing with the lighter managers is that they can be made as sexy and functional as the more "advanced" ones, but configuration is trickier and more time consuming. We need to add good defaults to the window manager: easy to understand and auto-updatable menus (this is the most important feature), a cool theme, a light but easy file manager, a selection of dockapps to choose.

In fact, if this version of Ubuntu does indeed get made, I would use this not only on my 300 MHz machines, but also on 1.4 GHz computer.

Brunellus
December 14th, 2005, 02:47 PM
For those of you reading this post who want to try out Fluxbox (before someone goes and builds UbuntuFlux), let me refer you to the Ubuntu Fluxbox Howto (link in my .sig) that Kyral and I have put together.

A section on Fluxbox eyecandy with xcompmgr is forthcoming.

h'mmm. UbuntuFlux. Kinda like AeonFlux....but with Ubuntu.

gil-galad
December 14th, 2005, 08:18 PM
We already have ubuntu lite, which uses icewm and rox-filer. I am skeptical of flubuntu. Is it really necessary?

Brunellus
December 14th, 2005, 08:32 PM
We already have ubuntu lite, which uses icewm and rox-filer. I am skeptical of flubuntu. Is it really necessary?
Not a question of whether it's necessary, but whether it's possible and desireable. I like rox-filer. I don't like IceWM. Thus, I put to gether a fluxbox/rox-filer desktop....with ubuntu. (or vice versa?) anyhow, the beauty of FOSS development is that it doesn't have to be *necessary*.

macgyver2
December 14th, 2005, 08:39 PM
Well no, but then again, is Linux really necessary? Why can't there just be One OS (http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article09-207)? :)

gil-galad
December 14th, 2005, 08:42 PM
Not a question of whether it's necessary, but whether it's possible and desireable. I like rox-filer. I don't like IceWM. Thus, I put to gether a fluxbox/rox-filer desktop....with ubuntu. (or vice versa?) anyhow, the beauty of FOSS development is that it doesn't have to be *necessary*.

Oh, I understand completely, and I have no problem with it. I just don't see the need for someone to make such a distribution when you can just apt-get install fluxbox rox-filer .

But its not my time, so have fun!

KingBahamut
December 14th, 2005, 09:03 PM

Beat me to it.

FluBuntu all the way.

Brunellus
December 14th, 2005, 09:09 PM
Beat me to it.

FluBuntu all the way.
FLUBuntu has this "flub" at the start, as in "I FLUBBED my lines right after 'Friends, Romans, countrymen...' so the crowd booed me."

Not very auspicious.

gil-galad
December 14th, 2005, 09:11 PM
How about fluxBuntu? Or Ubuntu/fluxbox? :)

Brunellus
December 14th, 2005, 09:12 PM
How about fluxBuntu? Or Ubuntu/fluxbox? :)
Fluxboxtu

Ride Jib
December 14th, 2005, 09:13 PM
I personally like "Fubuntu" the best. Maybe it's the programmer in me, and our innate desire to name random variables "foo."

Anyway, I think it's a great idea, and should be attempted. If I knew anything about how to accomplish this, I would help. Majik- let me know if I can be of any service (via a PM).

gil-galad
December 14th, 2005, 09:13 PM
fluxboxsuxtu?

Sorry :(

majikstreet
December 14th, 2005, 10:31 PM
Flubuntu sounds cool. or Fluxubuntu or Fluxutu. or UFluxtu.... or anything....

I'm not trying to replace Ubuntu lite, btw......

Looks like no one can recommend anything for me to do about the technical details... Like I said, if anyone knows of any guides on making ubuntu packages or metapackages or anything, let me know..

I'd also like to get in touch with the Xubuntu people and possibly the Kubuntu people for info on how they make the packages, etc.

majikstreet

Edit: also, this wouldn't just install fluxbox, it'd install some different things, like gtk-chtheme, idesk, fluxconf, maybe fbpager... :)

jdong
December 14th, 2005, 10:39 PM
I see one flubuntu-desktop package in the ubuntu-meta style.

Not much work there. Integration? Not much expected/necessary on a Fluxbox system. Perhaps pull some work from DSL.

earobinson
December 14th, 2005, 10:41 PM
Its all ubuntu to me :)

majikstreet
December 15th, 2005, 01:13 AM
Its all ubuntu to me :)
haha...

if I don't do flubuntu, I wouldn't mind getting into backporting.. (/me pokes jdong)

IYY
December 15th, 2005, 05:38 PM
IceWM and Fluxbox are only similar in the sense that they are both lightweight. IceWM has a more traditional look that is very easy to understand for novice users (and this seems to be the goal of UbuntuLite). Fluxbox is light but is targeted at more advanced users who want the most efficient (in terms of getting work done) desktop possible.

towsonu2003
December 15th, 2005, 06:32 PM
I personally like "Fubuntu" the best. Maybe it's the programmer in me, and our innate desire to name random variables "foo."

Foobuntu?
PS. Very good idea, I always liked those meta packages :)

dartakaum
December 23rd, 2005, 12:54 AM
well i use "fluxbuntu" :)

i install ubuntu, them remove gnome and install fluxbox.

BSDFreak
December 23rd, 2005, 02:59 AM
haha...

if I don't do flubuntu, I wouldn't mind getting into backporting.. (/me pokes jdong)

Actually, i don't know if you are serious about a fubuntu, but i like the name and just because of that i would be willing to offer my knowledge to such a project.

I don't see it as being very hard either to get it implemented.

YTMND!

majikstreet
December 23rd, 2005, 10:24 PM
Actually, i don't know if you are serious about a fubuntu, but i like the name and just because of that i would be willing to offer my knowledge to such a project.

I don't see it as being very hard either to get it implemented.

YTMND!
I am serious.

Happu
December 27th, 2005, 05:46 PM
FluBuntu sound best! I dont know how much there is need for fluxboxed ubuntu...

chimera
December 27th, 2005, 07:16 PM
I like the idea, my friend has debian with fluxbox running on his 500mhz pentium III (with 128mb ram I think), and it seems to be running fine, so it sounds like a good choice for low-end computers. Not that I need it, but I'd certainly give it a try(desktop takes up less resources =>games can take up more resources=>better gaming performance?)

commodore
December 27th, 2005, 08:24 PM
I think someone should make a version of Ubuntu where you have no window managers or software like text editors and gimp installed and where you would have to install all that by yourself.

red_Marvin
December 27th, 2005, 09:25 PM
Ubuntu server install?

BSDFreak
December 28th, 2005, 01:06 AM
I am serious.

Ok, so what are your efforts so far, are you using the debian packs or customizing natively? Do you have a sourceforge page or are you thinking about a repos for it or even getting it implemented into a native desktop installable by selecting meta packages.

PM me with your current efforts and a valid e-mail.

I could offer you storage and i have some experience with package building.

majikstreet
December 28th, 2005, 02:58 AM
Ok, so what are your efforts so far, are you using the debian packs or customizing natively? Do you have a sourceforge page or are you thinking about a repos for it or even getting it implemented into a native desktop installable by selecting meta packages.

PM me with your current efforts and a valid e-mail.

I could offer you storage and i have some experience with package building.
I actually haven't done anything, I really don't know how to get started.

If you want to do the technical work or whatever, go ahead.

BSDFreak
December 28th, 2005, 03:01 AM
I actually haven't done anything, I really don't know how to get started.

If you want to do the technical work or whatever, go ahead.

I was thinking about something like a "fluxbox desktop" install via synaptic.

Specialsauce
December 28th, 2005, 05:51 AM
i dont know much about fluxbox.... but id really like to try it..... this needs to get underway!

newuser111
December 28th, 2005, 09:39 AM
its available from synaptic

fluxbox how to

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Fluxbox

wizzomafizzo
January 3rd, 2006, 04:31 PM
I love Fluxbox myself, it's pretty much perfect to me. I reckon a metapackage would be the way to go personally.

But on the topic of a Flubuntu, how about packaging it with this theme:
http://fluxbox.sourceforge.net/images/shots-dev/majes_fluxbox-.jpg
http://fluxbox.sourceforge.net/download/themes-dev/Sn33z-mod.tar.bz2

The sn33z-mod theme. :D
Seems fitting.. maybe

A metapackage with all the neat things like FluxConf, FbPager blah blah etc. would be good though.

fluxy.net
April 3rd, 2006, 05:17 PM
I am currently using Fubuntu and it rocks. If you were to make an official distro, I will gladly lend a hand, coz I have been trying/testing which apps work best so I could recommend quite a few. I actually started with an ubuntu server install (breezy) and handpicked an app for each purpose. PM me or email me. Fluxbox rocks, (k)ubuntu is so damn slow, am loving it! :D

And for the name I prefer "fubuntu" partly because of "our ineptitude to use foo as variable" and partly coz "flubuntu sux" and partly coz Kde + ubuntu = Kubuntu so Fluxbox + ubuntu = fubuntu!

Let's get some space for discussion on this project (wiki...etc).
I am myself a newbie to linux but I know the theory. ;)

htinn
April 3rd, 2006, 06:22 PM
Isn't this already here?

http://www.nubuntu.org/about.php

darkmatter
April 3rd, 2006, 07:11 PM
Isn't this already here?

http://www.nubuntu.org/about.php

Damn... beat me to it.. ;)

localzuk
April 3rd, 2006, 07:20 PM
Most definitely! Fluxbox is, IMO, the best Window Manager of the lot - fast, configurable and easy to use.

superchar42
April 3rd, 2006, 08:20 PM
Fluxbox was my wm of choice when I was on Slackware. Gnome is sorta pretty though. :D I couldn't totally figure out flux, either. I just knew it was fast, I could check my email, and I could play gnibbles. hehe

DaBruGo
April 9th, 2006, 05:36 AM
hi folks,

I've got a 1GB usb memory stick running fluxbox on it. It's pretty fast!

All I loaded on the stick so far (in this order) is ...

[1] server install (did NOT create a swap partition)
[2] sudo apt-get install x-window-system-core
[3] sudo apt-get install menu
(then I ran "sudo apt-get -f install" to get menu dependencies)
[4] sudo dpkg -i fluxbox_0.9.14-1_i386.deb
(acquired via "wget http://people.debian.org/~dopey/fluxbox/ubuntu-breezy/fluxbox_0.9.14-1_i386.deb (http://people.debian.org/%7Edopey/fluxbox/ubuntu-breezy/fluxbox_0.9.14-1_i386.deb)")
[5] sudo apt-get install leafpad
[6] sudo apt-get install aterm
[7] sudo apt-get install mozilla-firefox
[8] sudo apt-get install synaptic

... and with all these loaded, I still have 414 MB of space available on my USB memory stick!

At startup, I just login on the command line and then run "startx" to get right in. I am NOT using any desktop manager (GDM etc) and don't seem to have any problems firing up fluxbox.

I have been browsing the "Ubuntu Fluxbox Howto" recently and was wondering if someone knows of a good utility application to edit the various pieces of fluxbox (apps,keys,slitlist,groups,menu) etc.

Also, any suggestions on a small email program with a graphical (GUI) interface?

DAVE

briancurtin
April 9th, 2006, 07:41 AM
I think someone should make a version of Ubuntu where you have no window managers or software like text editors and gimp installed and where you would have to install all that by yourself.
check out Arch Linux.

Spano
April 9th, 2006, 01:18 PM
I have been browsing the "Ubuntu Fluxbox Howto" recently and was wondering if someone knows of a good utility application to edit the various pieces of fluxbox (apps,keys,slitlist,groups,menu) etc.
I think what you want is fluxconf, which includes fluxkeys and fluxmenu. Be careful with fluxmenu though, the version included with fluxconf in the breezy repositories has fecked my menu more than once - MAKE A BACKUP. I edit my menu by hand.

Also, any suggestions on a small email program with a graphical (GUI) interface?
sylpheed is nice - I have heard that pine is even lighter.

DaBruGo
April 10th, 2006, 04:52 AM
I think what you want is fluxconf, which includes fluxkeys and fluxmenu. Be careful with fluxmenu though, the version included with fluxconf in the breezy repositories has fecked my menu more than once - MAKE A BACKUP. I edit my menu by hand.

sylpheed is nice - I have heard that pine is even lighter.

spano,

Thanks for the reply!
I will check them out.

DAVE

majikstreet
April 10th, 2006, 09:31 PM
hi folks,

I've got a 1GB usb memory stick running fluxbox on it. It's pretty fast!

All I loaded on the stick so far (in this order) is ...

[1] server install (did NOT create a swap partition)
[2] sudo apt-get install x-window-system-core
[3] sudo apt-get install menu
(then I ran "sudo apt-get -f install" to get menu dependencies)
[4] sudo dpkg -i fluxbox_0.9.14-1_i386.deb
(acquired via "wget http://people.debian.org/~dopey/fluxbox/ubuntu-breezy/fluxbox_0.9.14-1_i386.deb (http://people.debian.org/%7Edopey/fluxbox/ubuntu-breezy/fluxbox_0.9.14-1_i386.deb)")
[5] sudo apt-get install leafpad
[6] sudo apt-get install aterm
[7] sudo apt-get install mozilla-firefox
[8] sudo apt-get install synaptic

... and with all these loaded, I still have 414 MB of space available on my USB memory stick!

At startup, I just login on the command line and then run "startx" to get right in. I am NOT using any desktop manager (GDM etc) and don't seem to have any problems firing up fluxbox.

DAVE
I love you.

*ashamed* I use gnome now.. I went back to gnome after I couldn't get fluxbox back to the correct GTK2 theme, and windows-95ish stuff scares me.

nubuntu is a security distrobution, NOT a fluxbox ubuntu disto, though it does use fluxbox as the WM.

sylpheed-claws-gtk2 is gtk2 and it's very nice.
fluxconf is nice, but I prefer editing the menu by hand (or using the fluxbox-generate_menu command)

to everyone: fubuntu would probably be a distro like kubuntu and have a meta-package like fubuntu-desktop (kinda like ubuntu-desktop).. that would only install a few packages, fluxbox, maybe fluxconf, menu, possibly gtk-theme-switch2..

Anyway, thanks for bringing this thread up again. I'd love to get this started again.

ed_agamemnon
April 11th, 2006, 12:01 AM
awesome :) i'll help; i'll translate any documentation you want into French and help compile bits in English too... PM me stuff!

No Whammies
June 7th, 2006, 03:07 AM
Well, wuth all the Fu/Foo references, I just had an idea... How about, UbuntuHG? Don't just turn it on, BOOT that sumbiotch FOOOOOOOOOO!

(BTW, the reference is to Razor Ramon HG if you don't get it...)

G Morgan
June 7th, 2006, 06:24 AM
You can keep all this bloated Fluxbox business. I'm going for EvilWMubuntu
:mrgreen:

magicmax0
February 21st, 2010, 09:13 AM
Linux Mint 8 Fluxbox CE (http://www.linuxmint.com/download_ce.php) is basically Flubuntu, if not as close to it as we got. I tried it out in Vbox and its great, im switching to it as my main OS soon.

I think most who want/use fluxbox are a bit more advanced users and dont mind doing more extensive customizing work to get what they want, thats why i think the demand/usability of Flubuntu may not be very high. From what i hear, most who are on fluxbox use more expert distros such as Gentoo and Arch. However, this is slowly changing now that fluxbox keeps getting more uber efficient, so who knows...