PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to easily downgrade from 8.10 to 8.04

avrionis
January 6th, 2009, 06:05 PM
I would like to try to downgrade my ubuntu setup from 8.10 to 8.04. What is the easiest way to do this?

avtolle
January 6th, 2009, 06:27 PM
There is only one way to "downgrade"; do a clean install of 8.04.

tuxxy
January 6th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Move your /home to a new seperate partition and you will not lose any personal files or settings so is more like a downgrade.

avrionis
January 6th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Thanks

marcelkoopman
January 6th, 2009, 07:06 PM
May I ask why you want to downgrade?

avrionis
January 6th, 2009, 09:17 PM
Most of my computers are folding and they say you lose about 20-30% of your points (re: ppd) with 8.10.

oilchangeguy
January 6th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Most of my computers are folding and they say you lose about 20-30% of your points (re: ppd) with 8.10.

this makes no sense. what do you mean your computers are folding? and who are "they"? and what 20-30% of points.

avrionis
January 7th, 2009, 01:18 AM
It is part of a project whereby we lend our cpu resources for stanford university to download mdeical simulations for their research and you can belong to a team to get points. DO a search on standford and folding.

oilchangeguy
January 7th, 2009, 01:23 AM
It is part of a project whereby we lend our cpu resources for stanford university to download mdeical simulations for their research and you can belong to a team to get points. DO a search on standford and folding.

ok, and is it too much to ask that you type a post that we ALL can understand. not just your stanford buds.

nimmothemad
January 9th, 2009, 09:56 PM
ok, and is it too much to ask that you type a post that we ALL can understand. not just your stanford buds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folding@home
Folding at home is a distributed computing network. You devote idle clock cycles to the cause of understanding how proteins fold. It is by no means exclusive to Stanford that is simply where it is based out of. They have 250,000 cpu's active at a time on average so it's understandable that he thought it was common knowledge.

mattman85
January 18th, 2010, 05:33 PM
Off-topic tangent (redundant?): Folding@home is great. Mozilla has their own team, which I have belonged to for a while. I've set up quite a few of my computers for different teams.

Back on-topic: do a search on google for 'ubuntu separating root and home directories on partitions' or whatever floats your boat, and you'll get a plethora of results to pick from. follow whichever directions you choose, and then you will be able to switch versions and not lose personal data. You can also move /opt and keep [some?] programs that are version independent..