PDA

View Full Version : Installing Citadel: a nuke to cook bacon

Locke2053
January 6th, 2009, 05:13 PM
I'm using Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex 8.10 as a fileserver (with software RAID and Samba). Setup was fine, EXCEPT that installing mdadm (for the RAID) also installed a "groupware" server called Citadel.

As a result, my server ended up with a slew of open ports and services (IMAP, POP3, etc.) when all I wanted was a working RAID. This is like using a nuke to cook bacon (mmm.... bacon!).

The vast majority of Ubuntu users don't want the overhead and security risk exposure that comes with running a "groupware" server. The default MTA should be changed to something extremely lightweight, and installing an MTA for packages like mdadm should be optional, not recommended.

Cut the bloat and security problems. K.I.S.S.!

farse
January 7th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Hi, I'm fumbling my way thru this trying to setup an array (with no idea what I'm doing), and just got confused by the citadel install.

I hit OK then tried to cancel it, but it seemed to put me back into its install.

How do I remove it and close the ports?

thanks in advance for any assistance,
far

Locke2053
January 8th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Farse, I just did "apt-get remove citadel-server" or something along those lines. You could also search for citadel in synaptic and uncheck everything which is listed as installed.

FuturePilot
January 8th, 2009, 04:27 PM
I think you hit a side effect of this bug.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/debian/+source/synaptic/+bug/154349
All the Citadel stuff seems to be marked as "Recommended" to mdadm.

Bachstelze
January 8th, 2009, 05:45 PM
It was about time someone spoke up about this. :D

Agreed 100%.