PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] black screen, 1 cursor, no error msg

Cenci-Thomas
January 6th, 2009, 08:49 AM
Hello. Windows tech attempting to make the jump here. Downloaded the ISO, checksum passed; tested the burned CD on my laptop, verified good; but when I boot to the CD in my desktop, any option I pick (Try Ubuntu without installing, Install Ubuntu, Verify CD) results in a blank screen with a cursor in the upper left-hand corner, and no further response until I cold-boot. Searched the forums but didn't see anything similar. Has anyone seen this?

motherboard: ASUS P4S800D-X
processor: Pentium 4 2.80 GHz
RAM: 1 GB
IDE HDD: WDC WD800AB-00CBA0 80GB
optical 1: Sony DVD-RW DRU-180A
optical 2: ATAPI CD-RW 52x24 (generic)

Any help greatly appreciated :) thanks.

gettinoriginal
January 6th, 2009, 09:01 AM
When the cursor shows up, try these:

startx

then if that fails, try

sudo dpkg --configure xserver-xorg

cencithomas
January 6th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Thanks :) I should've clarified though, there's no actual command prompt and the keyboard isn't taking any input. It's literally just a blinking dash...

theozzlives
January 6th, 2009, 06:02 PM
when you boot the CD and get to the main menu, hit F4 and choose safe video mode

Rithmarin
January 6th, 2009, 06:38 PM
What video card are you using? There seem to be quite a few reports of blank screens with the packages on the installation CD.

If the safe graphics mode doesnt work, heres what I did to fix mine:

when you get to the blinking prompt try CTRL-ALT-F1 (or F2) to select one of the console windows which hopefully will give you a login prompt. Login and run "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade" to get updates and reboot.