PDA

View Full Version : smoking and computers

smurfgod
January 6th, 2009, 07:41 AM
ok...about a month ago i had a kick *** desktop..quad core amd 4 gigs of ram 1tb internal hdd and a freaking awesom gforce card(but didnt game)...anyway,i am a smoker,not drugs,and i smoke while im on the computer.i live with my parents and my door is usually shut and they smoke too.one day my comp started smoking,literally,then it caught on fire.im not talking just smoke i mean fire.i took it apart and everything was burnt to hell and back.my dad is a computer tech(ust to work for apple)and he told me it was because of smoking.i dont think so.but...hes the tech(certified).does someone think it was because of smoking or is he just blowing smoke out his but???

smurf :D

jrusso2
January 6th, 2009, 07:44 AM
I work with hundreds of computers and have never seen one that smoked because of smoking. Worst I have seen is a film left over in the pc from cigarettes. Usually smoking comes from the power supply or something that shorted. "Bad"

MikeTheC
January 6th, 2009, 07:48 AM
Is it possible your cigarette lighter shorted or something? You know, one of these...

http://www.frozencpu.com/images/products/main/cig-01.jpg

:popcorn:

smurfgod
January 6th, 2009, 07:51 AM
i have never seen one of those b4.i use one type of lighter and one type only...a bic...they last for about 2 months and if i drop it or flush it,it still works.i love my bics.

wolfen69
January 6th, 2009, 08:01 AM
it was probably clogged with dust and dirt and got too hot and caught fire.

wirepuller134
January 6th, 2009, 08:01 AM
If it gets flushed it's time to let it go......don't chase after it.

BoneSaw
January 6th, 2009, 08:19 AM
i suppose that the ash from your cigs could have gotten sucked into your pc and coated the insides caused it to overheat, therefore indirectly your smoking cause the fire.

smurfgod
January 6th, 2009, 08:21 AM
i didnt literally mean flushed..just in water.when i took my comp apart it was almost immaculant.hardly any dirt,dust etc,etc..idk

sirdrakey
January 6th, 2009, 09:16 AM
I working in a nightclubs for some years and we had an old mixer with a spring coil for the reverb it would stick because of the tar on it this old mixer had no fan or exhaust port but the tar was thick on that coil like honey.

now the tar can short out a board but will kill the power supply first fans just suck it in faster. and if your a chain smoker

azkehmm
January 6th, 2009, 10:44 AM
I think your dad just wants you to quit smoking.

That said, after I quit smoking and cleand my PC, there was a thin, yellow layer of nicotine and tar in some places inside it. I didn't smoke that much (4 or 5 cigs a day) but it was still visible. If you're a heavy smoker, it might clog up cooling fans and stuff like that.

OffHand
January 6th, 2009, 10:53 AM
No, smoking will not cause fire in your computer (unless you do weird stuff with your ciggie). Never happened to me at least and I do not see how this could happen.

stinger30au
January 6th, 2009, 12:16 PM
after a while a film will buil up across the electionic compnents combined with dust/ash and it will form short circuits

in worst case it can cause fire like you have had