PDA

View Full Version : USB 7 port Hub

abhiroopb
January 6th, 2009, 07:02 AM
I've bought about 10 different types of USB hubs in my lifetime and NON of them worked for too long or too well.

So, right now I am in the market for a good quality 7 port USB hub thats powered. Ideally it should be able to support a small external hard drive so the hub should come with its own power source.

Any thoughts on which one is good? I'm in UK so if you link to items please make sure I can buy them from the UK.

Thanks

sharon.gmc
January 6th, 2009, 07:08 AM
I have the same problem. I've bought maybe 20 USB hubs already. From the least expensive to the most expensive, they are all broken after a while.

abhiroopb
January 6th, 2009, 07:12 AM
Its really very annoying because its such a basic item and I don't want to spend money on it, but it seems that buying cheap one's don't really help.

Was looking at this, but its so expensive!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Targus-Desktop-7-Port-USB-Adapter/dp/B000GQMJHA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1231219047&sr=8-2

I'm not usually the type to buy branded products, but whats the point of getting something that consistently fails!

MikeTheC
January 6th, 2009, 08:07 AM
I've owned a few USB hubs over the years (though nothing even remotely on par with the numbers you folks have mentioned) and never once have I had a lick of trouble with any of them.

That being said, I am aware that not all USB hubs are created equal.

The two USB hubs I have are a Belkin 7 Port (http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=279201) and a TARDIS 4 Port (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Doctor-Tardis-Port-Powered-Station/dp/B000F46CQM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys&qid=1231225602&sr=8-1) USB hub. Both work fantastically, and of course the TARDIS hub, while sporting only 4 ports, has a blinking lantern light and plays the dematerialization sound effect when you attach a device.

CrazyArcher
January 6th, 2009, 11:45 AM
What's the advantage to have a powered USB hub? I understand that it would lower the load from the motherboard, but is it that critical?
Personally I use a simple 4-way hub I've got as a merchandize item somewhere, connecting the slow-speed devices to it (like mouse and printer), works well.

mcduck
January 6th, 2009, 12:12 PM
What's the advantage to have a powered USB hub? I understand that it would lower the load from the motherboard, but is it that critical?
Personally I use a simple 4-way hub I've got as a merchandize item somewhere, connecting the slow-speed devices to it (like mouse and printer), works well.

Some devices (like most portable hard disks) need more power than the minimum amount USB carries. Non-powered USB hubs (and some USB ports, often the ones in the front panel of the case) are not able to give more than the minimium power so while they work perfectly for low-power devices using hard disks and other more power-hungry devices requires using powered hub or connecting directly to the machine (using USB port that can output the maximum power defined by USB standard).

(mouses, keyboards and card readers need only very little power, so they work on any port. Printers usually have their own power source so they don't need power from USB connection.)

A good example is my portable 2,5" hard disk. When connected to non-powered USB hub (or any other low-power USB connector) it needs 2 cables, the normal USB connection for power & data, and then another USB cable to draw the required extra power from second USB port. Alternatively it could use an external power source but that's still 2 cables. Then again if connected directly to computer, or to powered USB hub, it only needs one USB cable to work since it can get enough power directly from one USB connection.

abhiroopb
January 6th, 2009, 09:23 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I especially liked the TARDIS one! But I am looking for a 7 port hub. All of the ones I find are VERY expensive (at least the branded ones: Belkin, Targus). But like I said I don't want to buy a cheap no-name one as I don't trust them very much :P, bit of a dilemma!

Polygon
January 6th, 2009, 09:52 PM
i bought some 20 dollar usb 6 port hub that has a power cable that plugs into the hub so you can plug whatever the hell you want into it and you will always have enough power

i wont recommend it as its designed badly, cause it stands up (vertically) and plugging things in that way is very awkward and it always falls down. that and its brighter then a lighthouse at night....cause they had the bright idea of having it so every light (6) is on when the port is functioning, but having it turn off when there is not enough power. it should be the other way around!

abhiroopb
January 6th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Wow that sounds far more than I am looking for!!

I was considering this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-USB-2-0-7-PORT-WHITE/dp/B000WQ3UQI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1231240391&sr=8-1