PDA

View Full Version : PayPal

kevin11951
January 6th, 2009, 05:11 AM
I have a few questions about paypal:

1. Youngest age for it?

2. Is it safe?

3. Where does it get the money? (ie. how do I deposit money)

4. How do I get money out? (ie. Do they have some sort of bank card)

5. How reputable? (the reason I posted here instead of just googling the above)

gettinoriginal
January 6th, 2009, 05:17 AM
In my opinion, STAY AWAY!! It is a useful tool for internet usage, BUT, there are many scams and phishing sites that use it. You are better off getting a credit or debit card via your local bank, that way you have more control of your funds. :o

2hot6ft2
January 6th, 2009, 05:22 AM

1. Youngest age for it?

2. Is it safe?

1. check their website
2. About as safe as a credit card
3. your bank account
4. you can have it put in #3
5. Seems reputable enough for ebay...

cardinals_fan
January 6th, 2009, 05:23 AM
Don't do it. My dad has used it, and they are an unbelievably obnoxious and condescending company to work with.

Lightstar
January 6th, 2009, 05:25 AM
PayPal

1. Youngest age for it?
Got mine at 17, when I got my credit card, back then there was no age restriction as long as you had a valid credit card... not sure about now.

2. Is it safe?
It's safe, but don't trust the "paypal protection"
If you buy something and don't receive it, chances are paypal are not going to protect your loss. Direct credit card payment have a better chance of being protected/refunded by your bank.
The thing is... I much rather give an UNKNOWN website my paypal email address than my credit card info.. I don't want my credit card to be spread out on the web so much.

There's 2 choices, either from a direct bank account (like using debit cards) or from a credit card.

You need to be a verified member to take out money. You also need to have given them some sort of payment method (bank account or credit card) When I looked they'd send the money via checks, but maybe now they can do a direct deposit (if you chose to give bank info) I'm not sure

There's also a "paypal credit card/debit card" program you can do.. gives you a card that uses your paypal money instead of bank.. then again you need to have given them bank or credit card info.

I've used it for the last 5 years or so? I made about 500ish transactions with paypal, never had any problem at all.
(Though I did have problems with 2 stupid ebay sellers, but that has nothing to do with paypal, so be careful wether you go with paypal or some other thing)

kavon89
January 6th, 2009, 05:25 AM
I'd just use a credit card, or see if you can get a debit card from your bank. You need at least a checking account to get started with them.

handy
January 6th, 2009, 05:41 AM
don't do it. My dad has used it, and they are an unbelievably obnoxious and condescending company to work with.

+1

ZuLuuuuuu
January 6th, 2009, 05:47 AM
I'm using it for a few years without a problem but I don't know how the support is (because I haven't had a problem yet).

cardinals_fan
January 6th, 2009, 06:08 AM
I'm using it for a few years without a problem but I don't know how the support is (because I haven't had a problem yet).
"Support" isn't the right word for it ;)

sharon.gmc
January 6th, 2009, 07:11 AM
Paypal is safe but there are some whose accounts are hacked. I have a friend whose paypal account username and password are hacked so always change your password.

jrusso2
January 6th, 2009, 07:14 AM
Paypal is safe but there are some whose accounts are hacked. I have a friend whose paypal account username and password are hacked so always change your password.

Use a credit card you get much better protection if you buy something. Paypal offers up to $200 but try getting it. I once got some rip off memory that was not as advertised and I could not get anything from pay pal. Since then I refuse to buy from ebay or use pay pal.

Many of my friends have had issues too including Leo LaPorte who got taken for over $2000 on ebay using pay pal.

handy
January 6th, 2009, 10:39 AM
"Support" isn't the right word for it ;)

As it is damn near impossible to find a way to communicate with a person.

I will no longer use paypal or ebay.

CrazyArcher
January 6th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Well, for me PayPal is the only way to get stuff from overseas with my credit card. I haven't bought that much stuff, and I'm content with their service so far.

mobilediesel
January 6th, 2009, 11:56 AM

1. Youngest age for it?

2. Is it safe?

Ever since eBay bought PayPal, every transaction is assumed to be fraud until you send them paperwork. PayPal was an awesome service before eBay got involved. Now it's a Pain In The A**.

Cash carried by carrier pigeon would be easier.

MisterFlibble84
January 6th, 2009, 02:36 PM

1. Youngest age for it?

2. Is it safe?

They take Prepaid Visas, I'd get one of those and give that number to them.

Paypal has a clause in their agreement that basically authorizes them to take any amoun they want from you.

mips
January 6th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Don't do it. My dad has used it, and they are an unbelievably obnoxious and condescending company to work with.

+1 I will never use them again or recommend them to anyone.

OffHand
January 6th, 2009, 03:06 PM
They take Prepaid Visas, I'd get one of those and give that number to them.

Paypal has a clause in their agreement that basically authorizes them to take any amoun they want from you.

I doubt that, if this clause exists, it has any legal basis. The law always supersedes agreements and/or contracts. Personally I use Paypal a lot for relatively small transactions and I have never experienced any problems.

ELD
January 6th, 2009, 03:19 PM
I hate them, as someone said they think everything is a fraud www.paypalsucks.com

jespdj
January 6th, 2009, 03:19 PM
I think PayPal is relatively safe, or at least safer than a credit card. Nothing is ofcourse 100% safe.

I would much rather pay an unknown person by PayPal than giving them my credit card number. When someone knows your credit card number and some other information about you which is probably easy to get (name, address, etc.) they can use that info to buy stuff on Internet. That's quite unsafe.

Beware that there are a lot of phishers who send fake e-mails that look like they come from PayPal, asking you to go to some fake PayPal website (it looks exactly the same as the real PayPal website) and fill in your username and password. You should ofcourse NEVER do that.

If you're cautious as everybody should be when doing business on Internet, PayPal is quite safe.

ELD
January 6th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Paypal is not safe at all, they randomly lock accounts, and i have never heard of accounts being unlocked, do not whatsoever do business with paypal, you will regret it.

notwen
January 6th, 2009, 03:29 PM
I've used them for many(100+) transactions for Ebay and various other sites over the past 8 years. I've never personally had an issue w/the site or it failing to hold up to it's purpose/usefulness, but I still do not keep any cash in the account, only transfer money to it when I know I'll be using it. They certainly aren't for making friends, you can find multiple cases of complaints(ie. here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PayPal#Criticism)). I'd recommend them, but only if you have no other options. =]

gn2
January 6th, 2009, 04:25 PM
I have made hundreds of transactions using PayPal and have never had any problem with it whatsoever.

ticopelp
January 6th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Paypal is not safe at all, they randomly lock accounts, and i have never heard of accounts being unlocked, do not whatsoever do business with paypal, you will regret it.

Wild hyperbole FTW.

ELD
January 6th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Wild hyperbole FTW.

Say what?

mips
January 6th, 2009, 05:07 PM

They locked my account, fortunately there was very little funds in it so I just put it down as a learning experience.

sydbat
January 6th, 2009, 06:42 PM
I was reticent to get a PayPal account too, but necessity demanded it. I had a couple of minor problems...fortunately those were sorted out quickly. The comment about nearly impossible to get ahold of anyone is true...however, once you do, things move quickly.

I also agree not to keep money in the PP account longer than you need, to transfer it to your bank or credit card.

I have had no major problems yet. It does what it's supposed to and very little else.

blastus
January 7th, 2009, 01:40 AM
There is no support with PayPal. All inquires go through an automated system and you will only always get back a canned response. For any dispute, even if PayPal found the other party at fault you will never get your money back.

You should never use a bank card with PayPal. When you use a credit card with PayPal you give up your credit card protection entirely. So when you get ripped off (and you eventually will) you have only two options:

1. Absorb the loss and continue using PayPal. You should file a dispute with PayPal just so that they know about it--you won't get your money back though.

2. File a dispute with your credit card company then PayPal will indefinitely terminate your account and possibly give your account to a collection agency. This is another reason why you shouldn't link a bank account, PayPal can and will try to withdraw funds from your account.

That said, I use PayPal but I don't spend more than I am willing to lose. I have lost a few hundred dollars over the years.

nitehawk777
January 7th, 2009, 02:45 AM
I have used PayPal for several years now. No problems. But then again,...I'm not a big spender. I just transfer a little along from my account into PP,..when I know I want to get something. I use it mainly to get computer parts from eBay (nice stuff, but not the expensive "latest-and-greatest" stuff).
I have also sold things on eBay,...and had the funds deposited directly into my PP account. It's been working OK for me, so far.

handy
January 7th, 2009, 06:53 AM
I was reticent to get a PayPal account too, but necessity demanded it. I had a couple of minor problems...fortunately those were sorted out quickly. The comment about nearly impossible to get ahold of anyone is true...however, once you do, things move quickly.

I also agree not to keep money in the PP account longer than you need, to transfer it to your bank or credit card.

We don't need someone else to profit from us, do we? :confused: