PDA

View Full Version : Crazy typing issues

Drubie
January 6th, 2009, 02:53 AM
How many of us find ourselves typing quickly to save time, but only find we have to go back and fix the typo, thus using more time than if we had typed slowly?

My biggest one of late is typing ubunut instead of ubuntu...

what's yours?

fedex1993
January 6th, 2009, 03:05 AM
I probley miss spell a word in each sentance i type since i am dyslexic.

-grubby
January 6th, 2009, 03:14 AM
Thank you for demeaning those with learning disorders they did not choose.

y6FgBn)~v
January 6th, 2009, 03:17 AM
Ubunut, thanks Drubie I needed that laugh :D

caro
January 6th, 2009, 03:19 AM
Years ago, right before I hit send, I realized that my email to the VP about the sales kickoff read sales lickoff....

@nathangrubb
I don't think the OP was being demeaning at all.

-grubby
January 6th, 2009, 03:20 AM
@nathangrubb

I respectfully disagree ;). Say you had dyslexia and saw a thread like this, would that make you feel good?

Drubie
January 6th, 2009, 03:23 AM
thanks for understanding

Really, I mean no offense. I mess up too, we are all human.
I am sorry for any misunderstandings.

I believe that the ability to laugh at oneself in a humorous manner is a beautiful thing.

-grubby
January 6th, 2009, 03:25 AM
I believe that the ability to laugh at oneself in a humorous manner is a beautiful thing.

It is, but dyslexia isn't exactly something you can get over.

Drubie
January 6th, 2009, 03:32 AM
True dyslexia is a not something to laugh at, I agree.

I did not mean to insult anyone, simply laugh at myself and offer a chance for others to laugh at me.

Note: thanks for renaming the thread, I havent figured out how to do that...

-grubby
January 6th, 2009, 03:38 AM
True dyslexia is a not something to laugh at, I agree.

I did not mean to insult anyone, simply laugh at myself and offer a chance for others to laugh at me.

Note: thanks for renaming the thread, I havent figured out how to do that...

... and sorry about highjacking your thread.

On another note, I once spelled "Windows" as "*******". Worst typo ever :P.

caro
January 6th, 2009, 03:41 AM
I respectfully disagree ;). Say you had dyslexia and saw a thread like this, would that make you feel good?

Many times I have typed letters out of order and confusing the order of letters is common in dyslexia. The OP was using a medical term that people understand to describe a common mistake. Had the OP made a derogatory comment about someone with dyslexia, then yes, that would be inappropriate.

To answer your question, no, I don't think it would bother me. I have friends with dyslexia and I don't think it would bother them either.

As it is, I'm losing my hair and the term "bald-faced lie" doesn't bother me. If someone called something "cancerous", should all cancer patients be offended? I've heard people who were charged a lot of money for something described it as "being raped"; this could be offensive to victims of assault. I had a friend whose wife died unexpected at a young age; for a long time every time he heard a word like "death" it triggered thoughts of grief for him but you can't avoid a word like that.

My point is that we all have problems, issues, quirks, etc. If we avoided every term or description that could offend someone, our language would be dry and lose its vitality. Life is much easier when we learn not to take things too seriously.

We'll agree to disagree and since drubie changed the title, it's really a non-issue. Cheers!

Drubie
January 6th, 2009, 03:48 AM
Thanks for your concern nathangrubb - you gave me a run for my money

Ahem... now that everything is okay and there are no hard feelings (if there are, feel free to smack me),

what other silly mistakes have diverged the meaning of what you were typing?

Giant Speck
January 6th, 2009, 03:52 AM
... and sorry about highjacking your thread.

On another note, I once spelled "Windows" as "*******". Worst typo ever :P.

Don't worry, at least your hand doesn't twitch and press down the [Shift] and [4] keys together while typing Microsoft.

Those poor people with their hand-twitching affliction.

schauerlich
January 6th, 2009, 03:57 AM
Don't worry, at least your hand doesn't twitch and press down the [Shift] and [5] keys together while typing Microsoft.

Those poor people with their hand-twitching affliction.

Microsoft doesn't have a percentage symbol in it...

Giant Speck
January 6th, 2009, 04:00 AM

Hmm.... I guess I fell prey to the theme of the thread. :shock:

Damn you, thread! *shakes fist*

caro
January 6th, 2009, 04:02 AM
Hmm.... I guess I fell prey to the theme of the thread. :shock:

Damn you, thread! *shakes fist*

That's funny!

BLTicklemonster
January 6th, 2009, 04:06 AM
I really really really wish there were some way to kill the functionality of the numlock button. I have to use the number pad a lot at work, and with my big fat gorilla snot sized fingers, I hit that danged thing constantly.

Why do we even have a numlock button any more?

I guess a pair of pliers will take care of the trick, but I hate to do that!!!

Drubie
January 6th, 2009, 04:09 AM
I have a similar issue. I am running on a dell inspiron mini 9 and the damn keyboard is so small! they even had to move the ['] down in the row with the spacebar! when Im programming, I keep getting compiler parse errors because I hit [;] instead...

-grubby
January 6th, 2009, 04:14 AM
I really really really wish there were some way to kill the functionality of the numlock button. I have to use the number pad a lot at work, and with my big fat gorilla snot sized fingers, I hit that danged thing constantly.

Why do we even have a numlock button any more?

I guess a pair of pliers will take care of the trick, but I hate to do that!!!

Indeed, I am always trying to find the Num Lock key.

BLTicklemonster
January 6th, 2009, 05:01 AM
Indeed, I am always trying to find the Num Lock key.

Hi Nathan. Mind me asking why? I like numlock to be turned on automatically when I boot a computer so I never have to look for it. I run numlockx in icewm, too, when I use it.

MikeTheC
January 6th, 2009, 07:45 AM

What does that have to do with anything?

-grubby
January 6th, 2009, 07:50 AM
Hi Nathan. Mind me asking why? I like numlock to be turned on automatically when I boot a computer so I never have to look for it. I run numlockx in icewm, too, when I use it.

Not so on my computer, I wonder if wmii has a startup script ...

What does that have to do with anything?

Shift+5 = %

Giant Speck
January 6th, 2009, 07:51 AM
In my opinion, the Num Lock key shouldn't even exist. The numbers should be accessible by default and the Num Lock key should be replaced by a key that lets you access the arrow keys.

pp.
January 6th, 2009, 09:52 PM
In my opinion, the Num Lock key shouldn't even exist. The numbers should be accessible by default and the Num Lock key should be replaced by a key that lets you access the arrow keys.

Would that be the Num Unlock key?

Drubie
January 6th, 2009, 10:12 PM
The mac keyboard I am sitting in front of right now doesnt even have a numlock key; it does however have F1 thru F19 keys.
Both cases are equally useless...

BLTicklemonster
January 7th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Would that be the Num Unlock key?

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/1087/numunlocket3.png

lol yep

dannybuntu
January 7th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Years ago, right before I hit send, I realized that my email to the VP about the sales kickoff read sales lickoff....

LOL

:lolflag:

Well, I for one, type "ubunut" too.

Drubie
January 7th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Well, I for one, type "ubunut" too.

It's not just me!

forrestcupp
January 7th, 2009, 07:26 PM
It is, but dyslexia isn't exactly something you can get over.

No, but it is something you can overcome with the right help.