PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] VM - Ubuntu - Doze BD

speed32219
January 6th, 2009, 01:51 AM
OK. I have been fighting with wireless, wired, LCD, remote, volume controls and you name it with intrepid ibex. I just got everything working except BD (Which I was very close) and I forgot to turn off updates and well, a new Kernel came along and wiped everything I had accomplished.

So instead of fighting it (LCD, Nvidia 8200 with hdmi with 6.1 HD sound, wireless, BD) I want to know if I can install VMware and have both systems running concurrently. That way doze will take care of the "Not ready for prime time Ubuntu stuff" and I can have a fully functioning system.

Can it be done?

If so, just point me in the right direction. I have not played with VM or even dual boot for that matter, but I do not want dual boot. I do have a fully function Hardy implementation working except for the BD. But it is using different hardware and not the new Nvidia 8200 - 9300 chip sets.

Thanks

cariboo
January 6th, 2009, 02:26 AM
VM's use virtual hardware, I tried Vista in a vm and it couldn't find drivers for the virtual network card, and resolution was not quite right using the virtual video card.

Jim

speed32219
January 6th, 2009, 03:10 AM
I plan on maybe doze 2003 server or something that is not supported. I have XP, but most of the programs I have will run under an earlier doze. I just need to confirm that what I want to accomplish can be done. Put a BD in the BD drive and have anydvd take over and PowerDVD 8 start to output to my screen. Problem free wireless would be nice also. The new 8.10 NM is just horrible with those dang NM applets.

I need this moved to the virtualization thread.