PDA

View Full Version : Top ISPs Scoff at RIAA's 3-Strikes Plan

Grant A.
January 6th, 2009, 01:17 AM
http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2009/01/draft-verizon-o.html

:lol:

Old_Grey_Wolf
January 6th, 2009, 02:03 AM
What does this have to do with the legitimate use of torrents for getting copies of Free Open Source Software?

TBOL3
January 6th, 2009, 02:43 AM
Some people were afraid that ISPs would jump to the conclusion that by downloading a torrent, they were downloading illegal music.

handy
January 6th, 2009, 05:55 AM
ISPs exist to provide a service to make money for their owners/shareholders, the directors of these companies know that as soon as word gets out that they are in cahoots with the RIAA there will a migration of users to other ISPs that don't deal with the RIAA.

I think the RIAA has lost the battle, it will struggle on for a while, until it realises that resistance is futile. :-D

The RIAA will try to come up with plans that justify its existence one way or another, using the legal process cost them too much money to continue any longer, they will not get the ISPs to be of any real help, so what do they do now?

MikeTheC
January 6th, 2009, 06:35 AM
@ Handy

Well, let's see. I suppose they could try and hijack the Patriot Act indirectly by lobbying for tighter control of the telco infrastructure. They could probably also try to even further pervert the DMCA.

Beyond that, my guess is they will continue to try and get legislation passed in the name of copyright, patent, and I.P. which is nothing more than a lightly-veiled enforced encroachment of industry wishes, desires and policies, and they can try to push home the notion that file sharing per-se, and even the notion of sharing anything at all is evil and bad (except, of course, for sharing your money with the government. That's definitely alright.)

Hey, wait a minute. Why doesn't the entertainment industry apply for a government bail-out? They could say that the multi-billion annual loss to piracy is driving them into the ground, and that they either need money to offset the losses of the ignorant, law-breaking, pirating masses, or they would settle for if more legislation was passed (see above).

I dunno, Handy. Take your pick, but none of those tacts bode well for us the general public or our civil liberties. Of course, so many of them have been eroded away over the decades that I'm wondering if anybody would really notice ("average John Doe", not those of us who are actually savvy.)

handy
January 6th, 2009, 10:45 AM
@MikeTheC: Yes, they certainly are part of the major lobby for internet2. See the link in my signature on the The End of the Internet? The battle for the existence of equitable human values against those motivated by greed (corporate profit) continues.

MisterFlibble84
January 6th, 2009, 11:13 AM
I remember reading the other day that there was a guy that ran a small ISP that sent a letter back to the RIAA every time he got a complaint about one of his customers, saying he'd be happy to disconnect their service provided that the RIAA paid him for the entire duration of their contract with his company.

There need to be more people like him.

:-({|= RIAA :-({|=