PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help me understand the cause of this, I am baffled !!!

wpshooter
January 6th, 2009, 12:56 AM
I am getting the following error message during

1) the Ubuntu CD integrity check function

2) during the installation of the Ubuntu O/S to the hard drive

3) during the boot phase of Ubuntu after the O/S has been installed to the hard drive.

Error message is: .. MP-BIOS BUG: 8254 Timer Not connected to IO-APIC.

And yes I have tried the NOAPIC parameter and that makes NO difference. I have also tried turning off Power Management in BIOS and that makes NO difference.

BUT, here is the part that I really don't understand.

The computer that I am getting this message on is an oldish IBM NetVista model 8303. But last week, I installed Intrepid on an IBM NetVista model 6790 for my brother's family to use on their new DSL internet connection and I got no such message regarding the 8254 Timer when doing any of the 3 above operations on that IBM machine.

And correct me if I am wrong, but I was under that impression that the Model 6790 machine is a somewhat older version of the NetVista than the Model 8303.

Why would I get this error message on the newer machine and NOT on the older one ???

And let me mention that the BIOS on both machines are on the latest version that is (and since these are older machines every will be) available.

Thanks.

P.S. - I just took my Gutsy Alternate CD and ran the CD integrity test on that same machine that I am seeing the 8254 timer message on when using the Intrepid version of Ubuntu and I am NOT seeing that error message when using Gutsy.

Is this a problem with my computer or a bug in the Intrepid version of Ubuntu ?

Thanks again.