PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ubuntu from usb on netbook

crimlaw
January 5th, 2009, 11:29 PM
for christmas I received an HP mini netbook with XP. I have been working with Ubuntu 8.04 on my full laptop and I thought it would be great to use ubuntu on my mini. However, it did not occur to me that I cannot install it because I have no disc drive. I do have USB ports. In the past, I remember reading about installing ubuntu on a 1gb jumpdrive in persistence mode and booting the OS off the jump. I can't seem to find the tutorial now. Can anyone help?

Also, I have heard ubuntu mobile. I don't think it is designed for netbooks, but I was not sure if there was a better ubuntu distro for netbooks.

Will the compiz effects work?

Thanks!!!

rggavubt
January 5th, 2009, 11:45 PM
Just download ubuntu 8.10 iso from ubuntu home page(will take a while) to your harddrive in a new "download folder" you created and then browse for iso in folder when you use system, adminstration, create usb startup disk.

crimlaw
January 5th, 2009, 11:54 PM
Just download ubuntu 8.10 iso from ubuntu home page(will take a while) to your harddrive in a new "download folder" you created and then browse for iso in folder when you use system, adminstration, create usb startup disk.

I am not sure I know how to do this. I create a download folder on my desktop (that I understand), then download 8.01 to that folder, but how do I browse the folder using "system . . . "?

rggavubt
January 6th, 2009, 12:04 AM
When you select "create usb start up disk" there will be a Other button. Select other and just browse to folder in your places, home folder and select download folder and then select iso file and it will pop up in box. If you disk is large enought be sure to set aside some space for your personal settings if you usb is big enough. I am assuming you are using Ubuntu 8.10. 8.04 doesn't have this option.

Coreigh
January 6th, 2009, 12:05 AM
I used a computer with a CD rom drive to boot from the LiveCD. And then I created a USB "thumb-drive" install. Its like the LiveCD but on a USB device. There is a wizard in the Application Menu. (For sure in 8.10, but I think in 8.04 too.)

Then I booted Windows, plugged in the thumb drive and installed using Wubi.

Finally I booted back in to Windows and changed the boot.ini to use Ubuntu as the default OS instead of Windows.

crimlaw
January 6th, 2009, 12:15 AM
maybe I will just go out and buy an external disk drive. The original instructions for 8.01 still don't make any sense to me. I thank you for taking the time to post them. Maybe I just need to download 8.01 and I will understand . . .

how big of a jumpdrive do I need?

rggavubt
January 6th, 2009, 12:26 AM
maybe I will just go out and buy an external disk drive. The original instructions for 8.01 still don't make any sense to me. I thank you for taking the time to post them. Maybe I just need to download 8.01 and I will understand . . .

how big of a jumpdrive do I need?

Do you mean 8.10? You can upgrade to 8.10 if you are using 8.04. I think you can install it on a 1GB drive. I would recommend at least 4GB or more. I just bought a 6GB micro sdhc card from Newegg that can mount on a USB mount for cheap. It is made by Kingston...see here and it is tiny.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134795

crimlaw
January 6th, 2009, 12:40 AM
yes, I meant 8.01. I am going to leave 8.04 on my old laptop because it is fully working and I spent forever getting wireless to work properly. However, I want 8.01 on my mini.

rggavubt
January 6th, 2009, 01:06 AM
yes, I meant 8.01. I am going to leave 8.04 on my old laptop because it is fully working and I spent forever getting wireless to work properly. However, I want 8.01 on my mini.

Must be another typo. I would keep 8.04 on the old laptop if it is working fine. Every new update has its own problems. I have some problems with 8.10 that I did not have on 8.04. I just upgraded my son's old dell laptop to 8.10 and the wireless card didn't work at first. I had to connect to LAN and install wrapper and it worked as soon as it was installed.

crimlaw
January 6th, 2009, 03:09 AM
sorry, yes I meant 8.10