PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Hotmail, again, blocking Linux/Ubuntu

Mark_in_Hollywood
January 5th, 2009, 06:29 PM
As of January 5, 2009 at 9:24 am, my Firefox is again being blocked from Hotmail. See screenshot.

RiceMonster
January 5th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Use gmail

kevin11951
January 5th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Use gmail

you know the whole world would be happy, if there was an email service as powerful as gmail, but didn't read your email for you. (not that im complaining ive got nothing to hide 8-[)

Icehuck
January 5th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Gmail or Yahoo mail, better options.

bgs100
January 5th, 2009, 06:50 PM
use gmail

+1

ticopelp
January 5th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Use gmail

Wow, how amazingly helpful.

Mark, have you tried IES4linux? http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/page/Main_Page

It's probably not optimal, but might get you into your email. You might also try to find a plugin or add-on that will let Firefox spoof itself as IE.

Eisenwinter
January 5th, 2009, 06:52 PM
you know the whole world would be happy, if there was an email service as powerful as gmail, but didn't read your email for you. (not that im complaining ive got nothing to hide 8-[)
Well, if you really, really want something like this, the best option is hosting your own mail server, on your personal machine.

Then if you say have a 500GB disk, that's the size of your inbox, that's like almost a 100 times more than the storage size gmail offers you.

I use gmail myself, though, because I don't use my email that much anyway, and gmail is good enough.

eragon100
January 5th, 2009, 07:03 PM
It isn't blocked, it works fine. Just click on "Continue to windows live hotmail".

It also doesn't block linux users, because it works with opera on linux perfectly. And opera itself isn't even a supported browser.

2hot6ft2
January 5th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Open Firefox and click on File>New Tab and type "about:config" without inverted commas, hit Enter then confirm that you want to access configuration.

In the filter area put general.useragent.vendor and change the value from Ubuntu to Firefox, then save and exit.

Hotmail doesn't recognize Ubuntu as a browser.

Forgot: Restart Firefox

littlemog
Agreed. I dled IES4linux and it was fine. Though later on Gmail got me and I never looked back. :popcorn:

Wow, how amazingly helpful.

Mark, have you tried IES4linux? http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/page/Main_Page

It's probably not optimal, but might get you into your email. You might also try to find a plugin or add-on that will let Firefox spoof itself as IE.

ratmandall
I just logged in and didn't get that message.

kelvin spratt
January 5th, 2009, 07:08 PM
That message does not appear using Ffox 3.05 or Swiftfox 3.04 on my machines.

chamber
January 5th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Works fine for me.

Ptero-4
January 5th, 2009, 07:10 PM
Actually, every email provider opens email messages before delivering (required for proper funcioning of most spam filters). Google is just being more honest about this fact, and they were the only ones who stood up and gave the gov. the double deuce when the gov. came flinging the patriot act and forcing search and email providers to disclose their result lists and email messages.

2hot6ft2
January 5th, 2009, 07:14 PM
And here's the long version.

Found 3 possible solutions and tried all 3 plus a a little checking and finally got it working again. Since I've been pasting the fixes in a txt file I'll break them down.

To fix live hotmail in firefox I did both of these

1. In the address bar of Firefox put about:config hit enter, in the Find put general.useragent.vendor Select it and Right click on it then select Modify and change it to Firefox from Ubuntu, then restart Firefox.

2. In Firefox click on Tools then Add-Ons > Get Add Ons and put User Agent Switcher in the search and install it then follow the instructions in the quote below.

BEGIN QUOTE-----------------------
Install the User Agent and create a profile: (if you are using Firefox 3.x on Linux)

Descriptiong: Firefox 3.x (WinXP)
User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.3) Gecko/2008092417 Firefox/3.0.3
App name: Mozilla Firefox
App Version: 5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.3) Gecko/2008092417 Firefox/3.0.3
Platform: Win32
Vendor: {leave blank}
Vendor Sub: {leave blank}

and you'll be able to use the new Live Hotmail just fine! You'll even skip the dialog page that ask you to upgrade to IE, FireFox, etc..

I think this proves that Microsoft has intentionally gone out of their way AGAIN! need I say more?

--Doug

P.S.> if you are using Firefox 2.x on Linux:
Description: Firefox 2.x (Win2K)
User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.8.1.17) Gecko/20080829 Firefox/2.0.0.17
App Name: Mozilla Firefox
App version: 5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.8.1.17) Gecko/20080829 Firefox/2.0.0.17
Platform: Win32

and if you are sick, go ahead and lie to Live Hotmail on a Windows machine using Firefox 2.x/3.x but claim you are on Linux .. and you'll be unable to use Live Hotmail correctly!

change the Platform to Linux and the Agent to "Mozzila/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.1.17) Gecko/20080922 Ubuntu/7.10 (gutsy) Firefox/2.0.0.17" (and app version to the "5.0 (X11 ..." part) and Platform to Linux!

(or equiv for Firefox 3.x which I won't bother to post)
dx9ss
END QUOTE-----------------

When I did this and went to hotmail to send a test email I could compose it but it wouldn't send it UNTIL I clicked on Tools > User Agent Switcher and selected the Firefox 3.x (WinXP) profile I had created. Once I did it sent it on its way.

Firefox fixed:D Now for Thunderbird

1. In Thunderbird Open Tools Add-ons dialog ->Webmail-Hotmail -> Preferences -> Change mode to WebDav. Restart Thunderbird

2. Check all your setting for ports and SMTP servers i.e.
Open Tools Add-ons dialog ->Webmail >Preferences and make sure the ports are still set.

3 Go thru your accounts settings and make sure both the ports AND the SMTP servers are set right (mine had changed):confused: I also had to change my SMTP to my email address ########@hotmail.com Once everything is as it should be restart Thunderbird and cross your fingers.

If it still doesn't work go back thru and check it again maybe you overlooked something. Good luck

P.S. I did NOT uninstall and reinstall my Webmail or Hotmail plugins in Thunderbird.

Hope this helps.:guitar: