PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu Installaiton Problem

yxqjzs
January 5th, 2009, 11:28 AM
I was trying to install Ubuntu 8.10 on my windows Vista. I followed the instructions found online by burning the iso to a cd, shrinking the disk volume to free up some hard disk space, and then booting from the cd. After choosing 'install ubuntu', a lot of texts showed up on the screen, and then suddenly the screen went blank. In the middle there was something like 'buffer i/o error on device sr0, logical block 178838'. I waited for a while but nothing happened, so I pushed the power button of the computer, then the screen turned back on and a lot of texts showed up again and finally it arrived at what is shown in the attached picture. Then I pressed enter and my computer shut down! I also tried installing using wubi but it gave the same results. Can anyone tell me what I did wrong and help me fix this problem? Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

ajgreeny
January 5th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Are you certain the iso file you downloaded is OK; you can check it with various windows tools which I know nothing about in detail, but that is the first place to start. If that is alright, then adjust your burn speed to as slow as possible when you burn the CD image, then try again. If that still is no good I think a hardware check in windows to make sure everything hardware-wise is OK would be worthwhile.