PDA

View Full Version : Has the Linux desktop arrived?

jrusso2
January 5th, 2009, 08:56 AM
Is Android the new google Linux desktop? Seems that some users got this running fairly easy on an asus eeepc. Seems that recompiling it for a x 86 is pretty easy they did not mention 64 bit how ever.
http://blogs.computerworld.com/the_google_linux_desktop_has_arrived

Anyone have any comments?

Sealbhach
January 5th, 2009, 10:47 AM
It's going to be a very exciting year for Linux. The Lenovo Ideapad has been launched with a quickstart Linux option.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2337770,00.asp

The Ideapad S10, Lenovo's popular netbook, also received a minor update. While all of the hardware remains intact, the software received a boost. The S10 will have instant-on capabilities, meaning it's preloaded with a Linux environment that can boot up within seconds.

Within that environment, a user will have access to all his or her drives, a Web browser, Wi-Fi, and other Linux-based applications.

There's going to be a lot of hardware vendors shipping with this fast boot option in 2009, more people than ever will receive machines preloaded with Linux.

Ub1476
January 5th, 2009, 02:03 PM
I'm not sure if Android would do as such a good option for a notebook. Maybe on touch-screens.

mamamia88
January 5th, 2009, 03:23 PM
isn't android more for cellphones and handhelds?

jrusso2
January 5th, 2009, 05:43 PM
isn't android more for cellphones and handhelds?

It has been but its easy to use it on a desktop too.

Sugz
January 5th, 2009, 05:48 PM
Interesting, its a shame i have not been able to find any videos on how it runs. Android is supposed to be Aimed at mobile devices, however i Wonder how the inteface fares with a desktop

Icehuck
January 5th, 2009, 06:01 PM
The whole point of the android kernel is to run the Dalvik Java VM. Why would you want all your applications to be written to use Java?

bonfire89
January 5th, 2009, 06:19 PM
I hope Android doesn't run on desktops. I don't mind it on handhelds, in fact I am actively trying to get it to run on my HTC Touch, but, I feel it being on the desktop would take away from other Distros like Ubuntu.

And on that note, sometimes I think I think the Linux community spreads itself too thin with all the different apps that do the same thing. I'd rather see less done better.

But, I'm a newb so what do I know (not sarcastic)

Dragonbite
January 5th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Yes, branding (and thus marketing) is still the king of the world!

I don't know if I like the Google Linux idea though. I kinda like having different pieces that *I* control rather than go from a Microsoft-like monopoly to a Google-like monopoly!

I still don't use Chrome because I haven't found any evidence denouncing their access to personal information or browsing history. I also haven't been looking too hard either!

gnomeuser
January 5th, 2009, 06:57 PM
The whole point of the android kernel is to run the Dalvik Java VM. Why would you want all your applications to be written to use Java?

Because writing code in Java on Android gives you a defined platform and a language that is easy to use not to mention speeds up development.

Cutting down on development time and possible causes of errors gives more time to innovate. It's cheaper and easier to support.

Aside that C/C++ libraries are available for people who like to hurt themselves and I heard that Mono was also being ported giving us access to .NET and all the languages that supports.

MikeTheC
January 5th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Interesting that the IdeaBooks will have facial recognition.

Just don't get into a knife or broken-bottle fight with anyone! :o

On a more serious note, it is nice to see Linux getting wider factory-default adoption. This can only be a good thing in adding to the "perceived legitimacy" factor for the platform.

Icehuck
January 5th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Because writing code in Java on Android gives you a defined platform and a language that is easy to use not to mention speeds up development.

Cutting down on development time and possible causes of errors gives more time to innovate. It's cheaper and easier to support.

Aside that C/C++ libraries are available for people who like to hurt themselves and I heard that Mono was also being ported giving us access to .NET and all the languages that supports.

So we trade choice(which is what we currently have) to Java. Which is the Apache license of Java which allows anyone to toss proprietary crap into it and also doesn't work with properly with Sun Java. Sounds like trading Microsoft for Google if you ask me.

garba
January 5th, 2009, 07:23 PM
well can't see anything resembling to what we usually refer to as a "linux desktop" there, ok the whole stack runs on linux (i.e. the linux kernel) but that's it