available = yes
browseable = yes
path = /home/kidwell/Public
guest ok = no
read only = no
hosts allow = localhost 127. 192.168.4

that's my smb.conf file on both linux machines
i've registered a user on both machines with smbpasswd -a
i can see them in the network browser but they will not connect to the opposite one. Example: Laptop can connect to Laptop Public but not Garage Public even though it can see Garage Public. And standing at the Garage Desktop: Garage can connect to Garage Public but not Laptop Public even though it can see Laptop Public on the network.
I can not connect via smb://Garage/Public either...
I've also tried the connect to server option in the places menu, no luck.
What does work is installing SMB4k and using it to handle the shares... but i don't like it and it seems pointless to use extra software if Samba can do this configured properly. I'm sorry if i missed something and take it easy on me cause i'm a linux retard. But if it makes you feel better i concede 15+ years of die hard windows use to just 3 days of Ubuntu Ibex before i wiped Vista completely off two of my 4 machines. Help me with this and i swear no more windows.

Iowan
January 5th, 2009, 04:15 AM
There's a big difference between being new or inexperienced and being a retard. Not intended as a fix, but see if this works:

try typing smb://x.x.x.x where x.x.x.x is the ip of the windows machine.. it hopefully should open the shared folders.. http://prash-babu.blogspot.com/2008/09/how-to-access-windows-shared-folders-in.html

sloopveedub
January 5th, 2009, 07:40 AM
I am still learning Samba myself, but it sounds like you have set up both machines to act as a server. This seems odd to me. Perhaps there is a good reason to do this, but perhaps it is causing your problems??

dmizer
January 5th, 2009, 08:52 AM
If your entire network is composed of Linux machines, I suggest you use a Linux file sharing protocol like NFS. Samba is not an ideal file sharing protocol for Ubuntu, and NFS is much faster. NFS is also significantly easier to configure.

Please see the 4th link in my sig for a good howto on setting up NFS servers and clients.

theacerguy
January 5th, 2009, 12:13 PM
vista doesnt work unless you use samba 2 i think but the linux machines should work

Kidwell
January 6th, 2009, 10:55 PM
If your entire network is composed of Linux machines, I suggest you use a Linux file sharing protocol like NFS. Samba is not an ideal file sharing protocol for Ubuntu, and NFS is much faster. NFS is also significantly easier to configure.

Please see the 4th link in my sig for a good howto on setting up NFS servers and clients.

Your NFS walk through did the trick.
It was easy and works almost flawless.
But I'm still curious... will samba just not work between two linux machines... or am i doing something wrong. Is it an IBEX thing?

dmizer
January 7th, 2009, 12:34 AM
Your NFS walk through did the trick.
It was easy and works almost flawless.
But I'm still curious... will samba just not work between two linux machines... or am i doing something wrong. Is it an IBEX thing?

Samba will work just fine. I had it working for years, and I still test it occasionally. But it is far more difficult to get set up properly. If you'd like to decide that for yourself, please see the first link in my sig for the SMB server howto, and the second link in my sig for the CIFS (samba client) howto.

Keep in mind, NFS is native to Linux. The open source version of Samba is a Windows protocol (closed source) that has been backwards engineered to provide integration into mixed networks.

Kidwell
January 8th, 2009, 12:23 AM
Thanks again... that actually cleared up some of my resolving problems and everything is working perfect... I'm not sure how to do it, but i guess this topic is resolved?
Thanks for all your help!

Iowan
January 8th, 2009, 12:30 AM
I'm not sure how to do it, but i guess this topic is resolved? If problem is solved, resolved, or otherwise fixed, you can mark thread [SOLVED] using the Thread Tools pulldown.