PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Upgrading from 6.10 without booting from cd?

derekboy
January 4th, 2009, 11:01 PM
Hi, I was wondering how to upgrade from 6.10 of Xubuntu to 8.10 without having to boot from a CD. I have the CD Burned already.

I have already been to this page (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading) and the network install looks promising, but I do not have a "Software Sources" option in my Applications menu, and looking around in Package Manager didn't help.

The reason I want to not have to boot the installer from the CD is because when I deleted 6.10 from my HDD and installed 8.10, my wireless adapter wouldn't connect to any wireless connection (even though it worked fine in 6.10). I'm hoping that if I install Xubuntu without having to use the installer that it will keep some of my 6.10 settings, including my working wireless settings.

Thanks,

~Derek

Partyboi2
January 5th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Software Sources for Xubuntu can be found by going to Applications->System->Software Source.

derekboy
January 5th, 2009, 10:16 PM
Nope, all I have is "Software Properties", and nothing in there mentions upgrading anything except for Update Manager settings.

Partyboi2
January 6th, 2009, 05:18 AM
I misread what version you are using. 6.10 (edgy) is no longer supported as well as 7.04 (feisty) the one you would need to upgrade to as you can not skip releases when upgrading with the exception of 6.06 (dapper) to 8.04 (hardy) You would be better of doing a clean install.
If you have enough free space on your hard drive you could always install hardy or intrepid as a second o/s and when you have it working they way you want delete your 6.10 installation.