PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrading from 7.04 to current

hockman5
January 4th, 2009, 09:43 PM
I am trying to upgrade from 7.04 without having to do a new install from CD. I have used the help site that suggest adding new repository addressed to my update manager but I still receive errors saying that the repository no longer exists or does not conatin the files. Is there any other way to do the upgrade?

cariboo
January 4th, 2009, 10:03 PM
The preffered method, is to update from 7.04-->7.10-->8.04-->8.10, to update from one version to the next use in a terminal:

sudo update-manager -c

THis will check to see if you can update. You will have to do this for every version you update to.

Jim

hockman5
January 4th, 2009, 10:12 PM
my problem is more complex than that. The update manager says there is an update available to 7.10 yet the files are no longer available from the repositories. The upgrade help page list some additional repositories to add to my sources list, though when I do that, it says that they do not exist either. I confirmed this by going to those address and the files are not there as listed.
There must be someone else out there who has had this problem and resolved it somehow. Anyone???

hockman5
January 5th, 2009, 02:02 AM
Well I guess one flaw in the Ubuntu distro's is upgrading. I see lots of people having this same problem but from different releases. I wouldn't mind having to go through the steps of coming from 7.04 to 7.10 to 8.04 . etc. And it would be so simple of the repositories just kept the files where they are or moved them to an archive location that is correctly stated in the upgrade documentations. Oh well, I guess it is a new install for me. Haven't decided on 8.04 or 8.10 though.

abn91c
January 5th, 2009, 02:09 AM
download the 7.10 live cd and add to the repositories, the installation will be slower, then go to 8.04.8.10 like the other poster suggested.

hockman5
January 5th, 2009, 03:32 AM
download the 7.10 live cd and add to the repositories, the installation will be slower, then go to 8.04.8.10 like the other poster suggested.

You mean fresh install 7.10? Why not just install 8.x then?
Does the live CD run without install on a Ubuntu system?

abn91c
January 5th, 2009, 04:29 AM
You mean fresh install 7.10? Why not just install 8.x then?
Does the live CD run without install on a Ubuntu system?
no in synaptic, you can add a cdrom as a repository for upgrades, go to the repositories section>third party updates>add cdrom
follow this guide https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GutsyUpgrades

hockman5
January 5th, 2009, 05:18 AM
no in synaptic, you can add a cdrom as a repository for upgrades, go to the repositories section>third party updates>add cdrom
follow this guide https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GutsyUpgrades

I will give that a whirl.....thanks