PDA

View Full Version : 2D sprite game engine for Code::blocks.

Maximo7274
January 4th, 2009, 09:06 PM
Does anyone know of a 2D game engine for code::blocks that is pretty simple and small? I don't want a 3D game engine as my computer can't handle that, but a simple 2D engine that can allow me to make a game like brick breaker, or ping pong.

Thanks.
P.S.-if it is a 3D game engine that has 2D stuff in it, that will work i think...

efexD
January 4th, 2009, 11:17 PM
Um... Code::Blocks is an IDE not a programming language, Assuming you are asking for C++/C there is HGE, and a couple others.

Maximo7274
January 4th, 2009, 11:37 PM
Um... Code::Blocks is an IDE not a programming language, Assuming you are asking for C++/C there is HGE, and a couple others.

Lol, sorry about that:lolflag:, yes I meant c++, but an engine that works with code::blocks. I will try HGE, thanks.

.Maleficus.
January 5th, 2009, 12:43 AM
Lol, sorry about that:lolflag:, yes I meant c++, but an engine that works with code::blocks. I will try HGE, thanks.
As efeXor said, Code::Blocks is an IDE and not a language, and therefore any C++ engine will work with it. I would recommend taking a look at SDL - it's a wrapper for OpenGL and is 2D, even has platforms for audio and input such as joysticks.

efexD
January 5th, 2009, 12:52 AM
Well i'm not sure that would qualify as an engine but if i knew he was looking for that i would recommend..

SDL
Allegro
SFML

Have fun :D

snova
January 5th, 2009, 01:56 AM
As far as game engines go, you could also look at Panda 3D- though it's primarily intended to be used from Python.

Maximo7274
January 7th, 2009, 11:34 PM
Thanks everyone, and I think I will try SFML. It seems the most simple to use, and it doesn't seem like it needs a lot of processing power to use. I could be wrong though- So please tell me.

Thanks again!:popcorn:

jimi_hendrix
January 8th, 2009, 01:34 AM
i second SDL and Allegro (havnt used allegro but have seen tutorials for it and it looked very very nice)

efexD
January 8th, 2009, 02:17 AM
Thanks everyone, and I think I will try SFML. It seems the most simple to use, and it doesn't seem like it needs a lot of processing power to use. I could be wrong though- So please tell me.

Thanks again!:popcorn:

SFML is a great choice :) I'm using it for some small projects and window management.

Mickeysofine1972
January 8th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Theres a basic one on the Ubuntu Games Developer Wiki, see my signature

Mike

Maximo7274
January 10th, 2009, 11:52 PM
Re: 2D sprite game engine for Code::blocks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo7274 View Post

Thanks again!
SFML is a great choice I'm using it for some small projects and window management.

I have tried SFML and is there an easy way to install it? Like the way with terminal?

I also looked at your thing Mike, and it seems pretty good, just that I would like one that worked with code::blocks. It does seems pretty cool though.

Thanks.