PDA

View Full Version : New Motherboard Help

mysticrider92
January 4th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Haven't visited here in a while, so hi again. :D

So I think it is finally time for my worn out Athlon 64 machine to be upgraded. I have picked out a combo on Newegg for an AMD Phenom X4 9600 and 4GB of OCZ Fatal1ty DDR2 800mhz RAM. Now I am trying to pick out a mobo to put it on.

Right now I have an nVidia Geforce 7600 GT handling video duties. I see no need to upgrade this, but maybe in the future. From the looks of things, todays single slot video cards are crazy fast. So should I even worry about a board with SLi or Crossfire? That is my biggest question. I don't game much or do video work. Right now I just need more processing power for a multitouch screen, and possibly a future multitouch project involving a 'hovering' image.

So.. Anyone have any good recommendations given these requirements? I plan to spend $140 on the processor/ram, and would like to keep the motherboard near or below the same level. I'd like to stay with Asus, Gigabyte, Abit, or maybe MSI, as I know they are all fairly good.

The boards that stand out right now are the Asus M3A78 Pro and Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DSH4. I am leaning towards the Gigabyte, since the reviews on it look good.

Spr0k3t
January 4th, 2009, 09:04 PM
I wouldn't bother with SLI or Crossfire... it's cheaper to get a graphics card with twice the pipelines and faster processor than the spend the money on two slower cards to get the same quality. Two good quality Gforce 8600 GTX OC cards would cost about the same as a single Gforce 260 GTX and the results would be close to the same.

As for the motherboards, since you already have the Geforce 7600GT, I see no reason to get a motherboard with built in graphics. You will save yourself a little money in the long run without the IGP.

mysticrider92
January 4th, 2009, 10:16 PM
With that in mind, what about the Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3P? Single PCI-E X16, no intergrated graphics, Phenom support, DDR2 1066 support. Cheap price, so if it has to be replaced in the future..

And with the price difference in the mobo, I could step up to a Phenom 9850 Black Edition, get some more performance and spend less. That combo looks pretty good, I think I am probably going to go for it.

About the IGP stuff, seems like most AMD board in that price range include it now. Kinda stupid that you are paying extra for the SLi/Crossfire, and are forced to put up with the extra price and downsides of integrated graphics (extra heat on the motherboard, less room, etc..).

mips
January 4th, 2009, 10:32 PM
If it was me I would stick with Gigabyte.