PDA

View Full Version : [other] How well does ubuntu work on the ps3?

facewithnoname54
January 4th, 2009, 08:43 PM
I have been wondering this for a long time. When Sony announced the release of the Playstation 3 it was suppose to have linux already installed. But on at the release they had there own os on it. My question is witch version of linux was that. I already know that it would be used for multi-media only. But I would still like to use it. The other thing is I herd that you can install windows on the xbox 360, but once you did this you lost the ability to play your 360 games. Is this true and if so is it the same with the ps3 there is no point in having one or doing this if I lose the function. Can someone please help me out I have spent 2 weeks or longer looking for answers but I couldn't find one... maybe I was looking in the wrong place. When I called Sony the told me the couldn't give me that info seeing how it was not originally installed on the system and to turn to the forums out there to find my answer. So if someone has done this or knows please in lightin me... thank you

jrusso2
January 4th, 2009, 08:46 PM
You need a power Pc version of Linux to run on PS 3 which is a Power PC.

Not sure which ones work. I know yellow dog and fedora work.

facewithnoname54
January 4th, 2009, 09:10 PM
OK thank you I have never heard of yellow dog. I wish that Sony went threw and released the system with linux already installed. But that means that they would have to train there tec support under linux and that would cost them even more money. I called and figured they could at the very least answer some of my questions but they game me the run around. Nothing new to me and any tec support I have dealt with. I have ubuntu on my desktop and I'm quite comfortable with it is there anyway I can get that to work. I'm assuming that the wireless wont be right because it took for ever to get it to work on this computer. I may just hardwire it in the ps3 tho to avoid the hassle. But if fedora works then I may just give it a shot thanks... I hope I can still play my games.

jbullfrog76
January 7th, 2009, 08:59 PM
I just (finally) got a PS3 and have been looking into Linux options for it. Since you're familiar with Ubuntu, you might want to check out psubuntu.com, which seems to have a lot of information.

Apparently, there are versions of Ubuntu, Kubuntu, and Xubuntu for the PS3.

Also, you can have linux on the PS3 and still have the ability to play games. To set it up, you have to create a partition for linux, which wipes the hard drive (and any save game data). So be sure to back up your save game data somewhere before you repartition the drive.

I haven't installed linux yet (since I only got the PS3 yesterday evening), so I can't tell you much more. Good luck!