PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Firefox opens with offline mode

sreeyeshns
January 4th, 2009, 07:25 PM
When I login to ubuntu and open firefox for the first time, it starts with offline mode and displays the message

Offline Mode
Firefox is currently in offline mode and can't browse the Web.

Each time I login,I have to uncheck the work offline check box from the file menu. Somrone please reply.:)

ajgreeny
January 4th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Try going to about:config in the FF address bar and then in the filter search for offline. In my case it brings up about 8 lines one of which is:-

browser.offline user set boolean false

I have never changed that to my knowledge, even though it says "user set", and I don't want to play around too much, but have a look in your about:config to see if it is set to "true". If so double click to change it and try again opening FF

pkands
January 4th, 2009, 09:28 PM
I think there is a firefox extension to force firefox to be online.

Sealbhach
January 4th, 2009, 11:34 PM
Are you using a PPP modem in Ubuntu 8.04? That used to happen to me becaue network manager could not see that I was connecting using Gnome-PPP.

I didn't know how to fix it.:confused:

ProgramErgoSum
January 5th, 2009, 05:20 AM
I had the same observation as that of Sealbhach's. That is, when connecting thru" the PCMCIA card, the networking would appear as 'No network connection' which forces FF into Offline mode.

I uncheck the 'Work Offline' option in File menu option in FF and I am able to browse the net.

I think, Network Manager (or, whatever) needs to identify that networking is enabled.

sreeyeshns
January 5th, 2009, 05:53 AM
I tried it. But the "Browser.offline" is set to false by default.:confused:

joshmuffin
January 5th, 2009, 05:55 AM
Change it to true?

ranch hand
January 5th, 2009, 06:40 AM
If you are on dial up the easiest thing to do is get used to it. I have this problem and fought it for a month or two and there just doesn't seem to be a resolution to the problem.

It really can get on your nerves if you let it. I do have the option of reinstalling Vista. Thinking of that usually will cure my irritation at such a small thing as having to set FF to online every time. I could have to use Vista every time.

Sealbhach
January 5th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Was it not fixed in 8.10? You could perhaps install Network Manager 0.70 if you don't have it.

Also perhaps try upgrading to Firefox 3.1 or 3.2. These are available as Beta releases but are very stable and usable. Also, maybe try Opera, see if it's got the same thing?

pkands
January 5th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Long Description

Tired of having to manually uncheck Work Offline when you're working on a http://localhost server? This forces Firefox to think it's online, no matter the network connection status.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/8502

ieee488
January 5th, 2009, 07:00 PM
http://www.nabble.com/Firefox-3:-how-to-avoid-offline-mode-startup---td17058203.html

scroll down to the bottom; that fixed it for me

ranch hand
January 5th, 2009, 07:26 PM
ALL RIGHT! That seems to have worked for me too. Thanks a bunch for that.

I should probably turn you in to MS. That was really the only irritation that I had with Ubuntu. It bothered my wife more than me, but Vista bothered me more than it did her. STook me 4 days or so to want to try something else. Took her a month.

It is hard to give up on something that you are familiar with even if it sucks.

I think that Linux in general just makes working on the computer fun again.

ranch hand
January 5th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Double post, too excited.

ProgramErgoSum
January 5th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Couple of posts above in this thread, there is a reference to a FireFox addon to force FF to be in online mode when working with localhost. With the resolution related to changes in about:config, will working with localhost keep FireFox online ? (Sorry...I don't have means to test this.)

ranch hand
January 5th, 2009, 09:48 PM
I have no idea really what working with local host means to you. My modem is working through local host as that is the primary setting.

I do know that the about:config solution will not work if you have not installed the latest FF updates.

I have 3 installs of Hardy, one to use and 2 to play with (I mean learn on). The one we use and one of the play ones worked fine with that solution. The other did not have that option untill I updated it.

That 3rd install is on an external HDD and I am having a lot of fun learning about grub.

Soon I may know enough to get into real trouble.

Bearly Able
February 26th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Thanks, ieee488 - the link worked for me, too. I was having the same problem in Xubuntu 8.04 with a dial-up connection.