PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Switching help

Capt_Zaphod
January 4th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Hello;
I'm still a little new to Ubuntu.

Thing is, I've got a friend who bought a new harddrive for his laptop, and gave me the laptop and a Windows XP install disk. To put XP on it.

It wasn't a bootable disk, so, I thought I could install Ubuntu on the laptop, and use that to install XP.
It won't read the .exe files (stupid me).

My problem is ... he doesn't want Ubuntu, he wants XP.

How do I fix my gross error?

Thank you foar any and all help.

abn91c
January 4th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Hello;
I'm still a little new to Ubuntu.

Thing is, I've got a friend who bought a new harddrive for his laptop, and gave me the laptop and a Windows XP install disk. To put XP on it.

It wasn't a bootable disk, so, I thought I could install Ubuntu on the laptop, and use that to install XP.
It won't read the .exe files (stupid me).

My problem is ... he doesn't want Ubuntu, he wants XP.

How do I fix my gross error?

Thank you for any and all help.
lets ask the obvious first, what brand laptop and did you boot from the CDrom first, if you have an OEM windows XP cd it is bootable.

Capt_Zaphod
January 4th, 2009, 09:50 PM
lets ask the obvious first, what brand laptop and did you boot from the CDrom first, if you have an OEM windows XP cd it is bootable.
It's a Toshiba Satellite A75-S2112.
I tried to install from the CD first, and it wouldn't work, even after setting the boot options to boot from CD.

Sadly it's not OEM. The disk does work though. Before he bought the new hard drive, I tried to use the disk to re-install his old hard drive (it had been damaged by malware.) It acknowledged the disk, but, it was an older version then what was on the PC, so, it got rejected.

Thank you for responding.

abn91c
January 5th, 2009, 02:29 AM
It's a Toshiba Satellite A75-S2112.
I tried to install from the CD first, and it wouldn't work, even after setting the boot options to boot from CD.

Sadly it's not OEM. The disk does work though. Before he bought the new hard drive, I tried to use the disk to re-install his old hard drive (it had been damaged by malware.) It acknowledged the disk, but, it was an older version then what was on the PC, so, it got rejected.

Thank you for responding.
you can use someone else's XP cd to install and his serial number key from the laptop sticker.just try to find at least an XP SP2 disk

Capt_Zaphod
January 5th, 2009, 04:05 PM
you can use someone else's XP cd to install and his serial number key from the laptop sticker.just try to find at least an XP SP2 disk

I was afraid that, that was my only solution.

Now to find someone who has one.

Thank you for your advice abn91c.