PDA

View Full Version : If you made your own distro, what would you call it?

linbetwin
December 13th, 2005, 05:13 PM
...And how would it be different from Ubuntu and all the other distros you've used?

endersshadow
December 13th, 2005, 05:19 PM
Hakuna Matata

It'd have all proprietary codecs installed by default. Besides being highly illegal, it'd be kind of funny, too. You know, just to hear a judge say, "Hakuna Matata."

earobinson
December 13th, 2005, 05:25 PM
lol I like it.

Id go for something like blinds just so I could have cool slogans like:
"blinds - so you you will never see windows again"
"biinds - stop your neighbors peaking through your windows"

But it would be a total rip off of ubuntu.
(In all reality I dont know what I would do)

Goddess_of_Linux
December 13th, 2005, 06:36 PM
Shell OS... After Ghost in the shell...

I would be the very best and most advance of any linux. Basically it would have a 3d desktop that is far superior to any 3desktop out right now or will be out in 5 years time. I would not use Linus Tovalds Kernel but run a hybrid version of windows Kernel... This would make it cost about $50 USD... It would be able to run legally anything windows can run... It would also be super secure to the point that it could on its own, back hack anyone trying to hack it. It would have the best in programs because it would also be able to run OSX-only software...

They would be four versions.

Standalone (for the average user that doesn't want control, but wants to be controlled...)
Standalone Complex 1stGig (A slight power user version for advanced users)
Standalone Complex 2nd Gig (Power user version with limited control...)
Shell Interface version (would be capable of running servers and controlling almost any thing...)

I would codename them after the characters on the show...
first would be code name tachikoma
then these would come

pazu
boma
ishikawa
togusa
batou
Major Motoko
Chief Aramaki
Minister of Foreign affairs
Prime Minister (the prime minister from 1st Gig)
Prime Minister (the prime minsiter from 2nd Gig)
Laughing Man
Cat's Eye (the hacker that major played in 2nd Gig)
Section 9 (would be the ultimate optimized and powerful OS ever...)

linbetwin
December 13th, 2005, 06:39 PM
Now, that's a roadmap!

jc87
December 13th, 2005, 06:58 PM
I would call it Stallminix :smile: .

And my distro would be equal to Ubuntu , only with most of the extra stuff thatīs common to install ( W32codecs , unrar-nonfree , etc... ) , it would bring all the 2.6 Kernels "flavors" (386 , 686 , spm , k7 etc...) in the install , and would be in a DVD.

earobinson
December 13th, 2005, 06:59 PM
stallman fan eh?

what about people without dvd burners?

linbetwin
December 13th, 2005, 07:01 PM

And my distro would be equal to Ubuntu , only with most of the extra stuff thatīs common to install ( W32codecs , unrar-nonfree , etc... ) , it would bring all the 2.6 Kernels "flavors" (386 , 686 , spm , k7 etc...) in the install , and would be in a DVD.

Oh, that'd be the epitome of GNU! I'm sure Mr. Stallman would be delighted.

Goddess_of_Linux
December 13th, 2005, 07:08 PM
I replaced my entery in this thread above...

prizrak
December 13th, 2005, 07:17 PM
I'd call it Bling OS. Ghetto style Linux that will have libraries for drive by shooting of Windows users :)

jc87
December 13th, 2005, 07:18 PM
stallman fan eh?

what about people without dvd burners?

Would be able to purchase it at media cost (DVD + burning + shiping and packaging).

About thoose who dont have DVD reader , well there are a lot of distros out there , and may be i would do a 3/4 cdīs version.

By the way , a wikiquote from RMS :

When I do this, some people think it's because I want my ego to be fed. Of course, it's not like I'm asking you to call it Stallmanix.

Mr_J_
December 13th, 2005, 07:22 PM
Maybe "Mine". I'm just no good with names... I'd eventually get a better one, but not very likely.

Probably I'd set a minimum set of requirements for the computers to use it.
Maybe working more on the installer than anything else....

Setting a couple of sets of stuff for diferent computers.
Almost assured to be a ground breaking kick in the nuts for your ego since Ubuntu would have gotten there by the time I finish it.
Debian based... Light weight where it can and eye candy up the ying yang.

Probably coming with wine, vmware player, and multimedia by default on some sets of the distro.

Or maybe it would just make more sense to make H(*)Ubuntu... The H being huge as in a DVD distro with all the eye candy you can lick.

Maybe Cedega and CrossOver Office as optional cds for it.

Trying to go for "click and play" mixed with "type and enter"... Perhaps 2 getty, 2 desktops and 2 desktops for gnome consoles and system monitorization.

Maybe putting every little thing written in the installers for drivers instead of just the chips.
The "Mine" Linux is DumbAss friendly. Bring your Dumbasses to feast upon our windowless pastures.

Lovechild
December 13th, 2005, 07:27 PM
If I was to take on this kind of project I would definately not make yet another Linux, I would want to implement a micro kernel system, something like singularity. I would want to as much as possible do away with features plan9 style - KISS.

I have tons of design specs lying around for various parts, some day I'll get around to combining them - I figure it would be fun to at least try.

That being said I have been part of a start up Linux distro once and even building on someone elses work is incredibly hard, so if I ever do get to build my dream - I know I will get doing the better part of the development for my own pleasure, which would mean that it would never really amount to much and rather than become useful for a lot of people at some point it would be my learning experience.

Part of me wants to start from scratch though, I think it would be a great way to unify all that 35 years of UNIX has taught us. UNIX while a good idea hasn't kept up with the times and today there are things that just don't fit in the UNIX model, some stuff just feels bolted on to me. Then again I like radical thinking, it interests me to see what people can come up with - just providing a Linux distro where video works out of the box does seem realistic, but also somewhat visionless and pointless - it is something that will happen regardless, it is not innovative in any way and that makes me uninterested in just doing that.

on the whole, if I never have to write another line of x86 ASM code again, my life might be happier.

Stormy Eyes
December 13th, 2005, 07:38 PM
I would call it Black Rose Linux, and base it on Linux From Scratch. If you used Black Rose, you'd be using what I use. You'd get a choice between FVWM and Openbox as your desktop environment. Your terminal would be rxvt-unicode. Your browser would be epiphany. Your mail client would be sylpheed. Your file manager would be the shell. Your music player would be MPD. Your video player would be VLC. You'd get every propriety codec I can find. And if you want something different, you can bloody well pick a different distro.

teaker1s
December 13th, 2005, 07:50 PM
ubayor

Usable,buggy,at,your,own,risk.

poofyhairguy
December 13th, 2005, 08:07 PM
I would be the very best and most advance of any linux. Basically it would have a 3d desktop that is far superior to any 3desktop out right now or will be out in 5 years time. I would not use Linus Tovalds Kernel but run a hybrid version of windows Kernel... This would make it cost about $50 USD... It would be able to run legally anything windows can run... It would also be super secure to the point that it could on its own, back hack anyone trying to hack it. It would have the best in programs because it would also be able to run OSX-only software...

Then I will take your distro, then fork it and call it "Impossible Magic." Yay for GPL!

teaker1s
December 13th, 2005, 08:15 PM
Impossible Magic- too late steve jobs and bill gates have become masters at that

maruchan
December 13th, 2005, 08:26 PM
My distro would be called "Projector" and would be the world's first truly project-based desktop OS. The word Projector would connote projects, but it would also connote your entire workflow being projected in front of you.

Instead of a desktop you would have something like a virtual canvas that flows from spot to spot depending on how applications are connected. This does not mean 3D, it just means that your screen would have a navigation portion with an abstract representation of your workflow. You would use this to navigate not between programs, but between stages of your project, life, or gameplay, which includes both software and different representations of data.

Applications are connected in this OS because they work like a plumbing system - you start with an idea or a problem on one end, and out the other end comes the solution. This would work very well in a Linux OS because there are many apps that do one thing, and do it very well. The idea is to break out of the "Enterprise Office Suite" metaphor because that is crippling our personal effectiveness and crippling the power of the individual developer.

Program functions we use on a daily basis would be re-thought. A save dialog would simply become an output dialog: You can do anything with the output you want. Want to throw it away? There might even be more than one way to throw something away - creative data loss, if you will. Crumple it up. Exfoliate it. Munge it into fractals and pipe the output into a random 3D cityscape creator. As analog (sound, photography, etc.) is overtaken by digital, this will become more and more important. People need to reclaim in the digital realm the unbounded creativity they miss from the physical world. Reclamation is the first step. Expansion - actually beating the physical realm in its own domain - is the second.

Controlling the way you visualize things, and helping you learn this system, would be an abstraction layer that relies heavily on themes - themes for Programmers, themes for Graphic Designers, themes for Secretaries. Themes are created by users who specialize in your industry but wish to create and share their personal creative/organizational/leadership method. They include not only layouts, designs, workflows, but also a useability layer that can contain audio/video tutorials and workflow overlays that assist learning.

A leader has information. What he does with it is seen as wisdom. His theme, then, helps him see ways to turn that information, knowledge, and data into wisdom and action. Harnessing this power means that, right out of the box, the Projector you use is 200% more customized to your workflow than the desktop of 2005 could ever hope to be. No longer will information stand in between you and your future.

Just my thoughts.

-Maruchan

teddy69
December 13th, 2005, 10:39 PM
It would be called BrainUx

My distro would be installed directly onto the human brain through an orifice at the back of the skull through which we'd plug a usb cdrom drive and mount the cd based installer. Since we only really use our brain at 10% of its capacity what better hardrive than nature's hardrive, so now to the hard part, partitioning. Get rid of the parts you won't use like emotions and format them to ext3 (don't forget about swap ;-) ). Everything would work just like any other linux distro, all you'd have to do is visualize it happening and it would happen, no need to learn any commands or worry about buggy GUIs. I'd also recommend installing an wireless adapter on your ear since I don't think you wanna know where the ethernet cable goes :p

Rackerz
December 13th, 2005, 10:52 PM
lol I like it.

Lmao. That made me laugh so much.

linbetwin
December 13th, 2005, 10:58 PM
It would be called BrainUx

My distro would be installed directly onto the human brain through an orifice at the back of the skull through which we'd plug a usb cdrom drive and mount the cd based installer. Since we only really use our brain at 10% of its capacity what better hardrive than nature's hardrive

So in the morning GRUB would ask me: "What do you want to use today? BrainUx, or your or your lousy hangover-stricken brain?"

kairu0
December 13th, 2005, 11:01 PM
Tampix.

Any takers?

linbetwin
December 13th, 2005, 11:04 PM
Tampix.

Any takers?
Tampix - an OS that absorbs all your computer's resources and leaves it clean.

matthew
December 13th, 2005, 11:08 PM
I would call mine Solaris and ... oh, wait. :) Still love that name. Ubuntu's a great one, too.

I would love to create a Linux distro specifically for people who like to create and multi-track record music on their laptops. Then I could take my recording, mixing, mastering studio with me anywhere without a lot of hassle.

It would have to have extremely low-latency and a working sound system--like Jack is supposed to be--for recording/processing plugins and so on.

Maybe it could be called "Musix."

bored2k
December 13th, 2005, 11:10 PM
Ennuie Linux. The logo would probably be a sleepy animal à la Napster.

linbetwin
December 13th, 2005, 11:12 PM
Musix? I'm afraid the name's taken (http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=musix). Maybe you should check it out.

matthew
December 13th, 2005, 11:26 PM
Musix? I'm afraid the name's taken (http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=musix). Maybe you should check it out.Wow. That looks pretty good. I really need to get out more. The web site is in Spanish and pretty easy to understand, but there's a link to an English wiki. Thanks for the referral...now to find an unused laptop...

majikstreet
December 14th, 2005, 12:02 AM
I'm not telling you! You'll just steal my name... maybe I can make an empire.. MUAHAH! Linux distro, web hosting, etc etc!!! MUHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAAA!

I dunno what I want in a distro... ubuntu is great...

Tampix... no comment....

racecat
December 14th, 2005, 12:23 AM
Name? Bill, of course.;)

It would be just like the machine I'm using now. Ubuntu running Xfce.

Bill

xequence
December 14th, 2005, 03:54 AM
FreeLSD.

You know... FreeBSD, but its Linux Software Distrobutions instead of Berkely ;)

It would have a cool psychedelic look to it.

arcanistherogue
December 14th, 2005, 05:23 AM
Arcix. Yeah.

kairu0
December 14th, 2005, 08:25 AM
Tampix - an OS that absorbs all your computer's resources and leaves it clean.

Glad you like it! ;)

My server distribution will be Tampix DAN (day and night.)

Arktis
December 14th, 2005, 09:47 AM
I'd say Ark Linux but it's already taken.
http://www.arklinux.org/staticpages/index.php?page=screenshots

So I'd have to go with Osmium.

A rare metallic element of the platinum group with atomic number 76. It is found native as an alloy in platinum ore, and in iridosmine. It is a hard, infusible, bluish or grayish white metal, and the heaviest substance known. Its tetroxide is used in histological experiments to stain tissues. Symbol Os. Atomic weight 190.2. Specific gravity 22.477.

Virak
December 14th, 2005, 10:15 AM
I'd call it "Foo", and it'd be a distro based on completely generic components.

kairu0
December 14th, 2005, 11:14 AM
I'd call it "Foo", and it'd be a distro based on completely generic components.

That sounds "Foo" to me.

jeremy
December 14th, 2005, 12:59 PM
...And how would it be different from Ubuntu and all the other distros you've used?
Well, considering that I have no programming skills, I that the main difference would be that "It Just Doesn't Work". Considering that it wouldn't work, perhaps Duck 0.9.1 would be a suitable name for it.

linbetwin
December 14th, 2005, 01:14 PM
Well, considering that I have no programming skills, I that the main difference would be that "It Just Doesn't Work".
LOL!

nsa_767
December 14th, 2005, 01:21 PM
lol I like it.

Excellent, I'd make a fork of yours and call it "Doors"... "Only thieves use windows, normal people use doors." Or, "Doors... closing the gates on windows."

gord
December 14th, 2005, 01:38 PM
id base it off debian and call it http://www.rustvold.com/L41A/pictures/symbol40.JPG

"the distro formally known as debian" kinda has a ring to it ;)

curuxz
December 14th, 2005, 03:31 PM
Shell OS... After Ghost in the shell...

They would be four versions.

Standalone (for the average user that doesn't want control, but wants to be controlled...)
Standalone Complex 1stGig (A slight power user version for advanced users)
Standalone Complex 2nd Gig (Power user version with limited control...)
Shell Interface version (would be capable of running servers and controlling almost any thing...)

I would codename them after the characters on the show...
first would be code name tachikoma
then these would come

pazu
boma
ishikawa
togusa
batou
Major Motoko
Chief Aramaki
Minister of Foreign affairs
Prime Minister (the prime minister from 1st Gig)
Prime Minister (the prime minsiter from 2nd Gig)
Laughing Man
Cat's Eye (the hacker that major played in 2nd Gig)
Section 9 (would be the ultimate optimized and powerful OS ever...)

Based on the windows kernal LMFAO would this be called 'shitnix'?

Nice to see your simple enough not to have relised without linus' kernal it would not even be linux, or even unix hahaha your posts allways make me smile :D

curuxz
December 14th, 2005, 03:38 PM
Oh yea my own distro hmmm i would never do that would i *cough* curuXz *cough*

Roadmap is still being finished but roughly deb based rapid deployment system with spawn technology though to fully explain the plan would take too long, don't wana prattle on about forks lets just say it would/will be able to take over other o/s systems :)

Arktis
December 14th, 2005, 03:43 PM
Based on the windows kernal LMFAO would this be called 'shitnix'?

Nice to see your simple enough not to have relised without linus' kernal it would not even be linux, or even unix hahaha your posts allways make me smile :D
What's wrong with being imaginative and having fun with it? Come on, man. Be nice.

I enjoyed reading about the guy's dream OS.

mfarquhar
December 16th, 2005, 06:09 AM
Ninjixsu Linux (ninjitsu with linux) linux ninja style

and i would have a "more" (hopefully) user-friendly GUI install thing
desktop defaults would be:
KDE
GNOME
XFCE
icewm

dave2010
August 17th, 2006, 10:07 PM
"Crack"

As in "I'm using Crack"

Onyros
August 17th, 2006, 10:34 PM
I'd call it SushiLinux: really raw, but tasty.

TheAmazingJambi
August 17th, 2006, 10:55 PM
Hmmm...I'd most likely call it "Jambi's Great and Powerful Magic Box!" Linux, and base it on Ubuntu or possible Suse, with new skins...mostly an excercise in egomania. :wink:

enopepsoo
August 17th, 2006, 11:05 PM

Mine would be called Stalinix. It would kill People who said it wasn't the world's best OS (a.k.a. What you would get if you had an OS put out by the windows marketing and legal departments)

Derek Djons
August 17th, 2006, 11:48 PM
Well my fantasy distribution would be called 'Oracle Linux'.

It would be dedicated to bring a free and open source Linux distribution on the market which would be easy to use and would educate people about their OS, applications, pros & cons.

DoktorSeven
August 17th, 2006, 11:53 PM
Fluxed.

Based on Fluxbox, everything optimized for modern processors, all the proprietary stuff, no eye candy. A workhorse that may not look pretty but has plenty of power under the hood.

Oh, and it has to be relatively stable. I'm a dreamer. :)

magnoliablossom
August 18th, 2006, 01:44 AM
I'd call mine Ashnix and I'd make it really colorful and attractive to little kids with lots of big icons with sunny faces and animals...I'd also have it with some kind of interactive thing sort of like the eye toy for ps2 so that little kids could see themselves doing things. And of course I'd make it to where they'd actually be learning skills without realizing it. It's always more fun to a kid when they think it's just play. It would also be cool that every time they turned it on it would come up with screens of new places and interesting bits about different cultures. One my favorite things about Ubuntu is that it comes with a dictionary. My older kids were constantly bellowing when they'd get on "hey mom what does this mean?" or "how do you spell that??" I only had to tell them once (maybe twice) "there's a dictionary on there...look it up."

~*Ashley

Wallakoala
August 18th, 2006, 02:39 AM
lol I like it.

if you're going for that kinda thing I would make something like:

"Darkness"
If you like darkness you don't need windows