PDA

View Full Version : Do you know of a laptop with dual hard drives?

concerto
January 4th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Do you know of a laptop with dual hard drives?

I'm buying another laptop. I thought it would be cool if I could put the operating system on a solid state drive so it would boot up blazing fast but have a regular HDD for storage. Alien ware has a laptop with dual drives but it's too expensive.
If no one else makes anything like this I guess I will go with ASUS splash top or an equivalent.

I will spend around a thousand bucks.

Has anyone else done this?

Thank you for your time.

Icehuck
January 4th, 2009, 08:48 AM
ibuypower.com (http://www.ibuypower.com)offers dual drives in their laptops.

leedsdevil
January 4th, 2009, 12:05 PM
funny you would ask that question there is a guy in Criegslist looking to trade one HP Pavilion dv9208nr im guessing thats the model... sounds kewl with two 160 gig drives .. Good luck on your project

TBev0
January 4th, 2009, 01:04 PM
I've got a Sony Vaio BX297XP which is a cpl of years old now with dual hard drives, 2x 100GB. It runs pretty well, but is a bit of a chunky *******. I dont mind though because i dont use it as a laptop, but rather as a desktop replacement. I usually install the OS on one drive and the /home partition on the other although it doesnt really make a difference in my case as all my data is stored on a server. I've never really used the dual HDD's to their potential.

The 17inch screen @ 1920x1200 is the best feature of this laptop for me though by far. I have a fairly beefy server running headless that holds all my storage and runs a couple of VM's. The cool thing is i can get like 4 VNC windows up on the screen and watch em all at once on the laptop monitor.

If you have a server where you can store your data on and run a few VM's, i would go for a higher screen res any day and gladly loose the extra hdd.. - You can always plug in a USB HDD if you need to.