PDA

View Full Version : Independent Unix hosting reviews? Or: What hosting plan would you recommend?

northern lights
January 4th, 2009, 07:22 AM
I've been looking for a good host for a few days now and failed to accomplish anything.

When googling for "hosting review" or the like, google always comes up with the same bullsh*t reviews. The winning hoster will be praised over the rooftop and its "user reviews" (all fake, if you'd ask me) will read something such as "Greatest customer support ever" or "Wow, awesome host" without exception.

When you run a whois on the review site, it is, what a surprise, hosted by one of the "top" hosts itself.

Can anyone recommend a truly independent review of current hosting plans or just a decent and not too spendy host?

All I need is a Unix host with Apache, a few mySQL databases, IMAP email, support for a few (5+) domains and decent (99%+) uptime.

Thanks a bunch, Johannes

castrojo
January 4th, 2009, 07:30 AM
Not sure if you're looking for traditional hosting or not, but Linode has always been good to me if you're looking for a virtualized host.

northern lights
January 4th, 2009, 07:40 AM
A traditional host would do it for me, but I'll check out Linode nonetheless. Thank you.

As an aside:
Hockeytown?
Wouldn't about every second medium sized Minnesotan community call itself that? I'm guessing St.Cloud right now, but Rochester High Schools are killer also, for instance.