PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] can't run blender... or any program that uses opengl

hockey97
January 4th, 2009, 06:36 AM
hi, I have ubuntu latest version. I seem to not be able to run blender or any application that would use opengl.

I tried many things. I do have the right graphics drivers installed.

in blender when crashing... I see an error saying that I need to check if opengl is stable or having any errors.

It seemed opengl had problems. I would like to know what I should do??

and what is the official installation file I should download?

taurus
January 4th, 2009, 06:38 AM
Which graphic card do you have and which driver did you install?

hockey97
January 5th, 2009, 08:31 PM
I have a nvidia geforce FX5500 PCI 256MB OF VIDEO RAM.

I installed the driver that was the basic. The one that was for old graphic cards that said tnt etc.

I did install opengl for ubuntu. I would click on belender the window would open and then close that is it.

I also downloaded earth. A program that shows sat images of earth on a 3d model of earth kinda like google earth.So when I open the program I can run the app but in the box where it supposed to render the earth I see nothing and if I move the app then the box where the earth is supposed to be rendered would get messy.

I looked at the command line when blender starts to run.. I saw it say ok to python but when it gets to getting opengl it stalls and then spits out a error saying make sure you got a stable version of opengl.